Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Had a delicious dinner with family, ran 12k afterwards here around our country house in the Stockholm archipelago. Awesome views, great weather, 0 snakes (today). Running is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
This thread is lies

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MW posted:

Running is the best.

:hmmyes:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No snakes? Booooooo

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Ran Fri and Sat. Was just nice to be out in the sun, saw some birds: robins, orioles, and blue jays. (If only I'd seen a cardinal, would've seen the MLB bird trifecta.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Did a 15 mile long run yesterday. I've been using https://www.plotaroute.com/ to check out some of the paths around me, in my area at least (northern England) it's really comprehensive so I've been able to put together some really nice long runs that I can do from my doorstep but involve minimal road crossing.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Party Boat posted:

Did a 15 mile long run yesterday. I've been using https://www.plotaroute.com/ to check out some of the paths around me, in my area at least (northern England) it's really comprehensive so I've been able to put together some really nice long runs that I can do from my doorstep but involve minimal road crossing.

I’m trying to work up my stamina / cardio to be able to push more easily past a half marathon but it’s slow. I can do 10k easily, 20k with some effort but past that I simply find myself without energy to continue. Would love to run a marathon some day.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm in the same boat, 15 miles is currently my limit. On yesterday's run I started to fade hard at around nine miles so I did a quick detour into a petrol station and got a sports drink. It was red and tasted incredible.

I really need to start properly planning mid-run fuelling instead of making it an emergency thing but I hate carrying too much with me.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
I suppose one part of it is that you need to bring running supplements, but to me that changes running from something I like to do to clear my head and keep in shape into something serious that requires planning, possibly a proper training program etc.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Man, you folks are doing some quality running. My fat rear end just throws the sneakers on and barely ekes out 2 miles (~3.2km.) :smith:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Probably going to go for a run today. First time in a while, so lets see how it goes!

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

betterinsodapop posted:

Man, you folks are doing some quality running. My fat rear end just throws the sneakers on and barely ekes out 2 miles (~3.2km.) :smith:

You have to start somewhere! I started running a few years ago and couldn't even finish a 4 km route.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't worry. We all started at the bottom. We know how hard it was (and still can be)

Most runners are very accepting. You put in any effort? Cool, you're a runner!

I like trail running best. Did 20 K yesterday. It was hard, due to the (relative) heat, but that made the pizza and beer afterwards taste even better.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Thanks y'all.
I'm hoping to do a little run today, but the heat 95F/35C means I will prob wait until the sun goes down. The heat has been ludicrous here.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm guessing asphalt is a better surface than concrete to do one's running on, or does it all just depend on running form?

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
I’d say that the best surface is “varied terrain” (sorry, not sure of the proper translation) when you run on trails, dirt roads, between roots and across whatever you come along. More fun and removes the monotonous experience of running on straight perfect paved roads.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Been doing between 30 and 40 km on trails per week for the past many years in my basic FiveFingers. I run 3-4 half marathons per year with friends, and the only times my feet hurt is after the ones on asphalt.

I started flatfoot running 12 years ago after being told I needed a new knee from running wrong in regular shoes for far too long. Still on the same knee, and haven't had a single injury since. It's not for everyone, but it works for me :)

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
I usually run 20-40 km per week but lately I’ve been getting trouble with one knee as well as one groin that forces me to rest 2-3 days after each run, very frustrating. Probably need to work on my food intake too, my mindset has always been to eat whatever and compensate by running but even when averaging 40 km / week for 2 months I have an awful beer gut, and I don’t even drink alcohol.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I'm guessing asphalt is a better surface than concrete to do one's running on, or does it all just depend on running form?

Purely anecdotal: when I started out running I felt like my shins and ankles and such took a worse beating if I stuck to concrete sidewalk instead of running on turf or asphalt. I think it makes a slight difference but I am not a doctor.

Currently back on a half marathon training plan after wimping out last year and slacking off of running. Sure picked a hell of a time to get back into it, considering everything I signed up for at the start of the year is cancelled. Oh well, still running! :shrug:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

MW posted:

I’d say that the best surface is “varied terrain” (sorry, not sure of the proper translation) when you run on trails, dirt roads, between roots and across whatever you come along. More fun and removes the monotonous experience of running on straight perfect paved roads.
I'm terrified I'll slip on a stick, trip on some obstruction, and get really hurt. I'm old now, and I definitely do NOT recover as quickly from my injuries as I did even just a few years ago.

Anyway, busted out 2 very slow miles this morning. Just trying to keep getting out there and be consistent. I know the mileage and speed will eventually come.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you
I think as much as terrain matters so does the profile of the ground, namely how the road/trail/beach is crowned. If you run a lot in a single direction with a height differential between you legs it adds up. It’s worth paying attention to and offsetting the high and low sides. Beach running is probably the most classic example of this but lots of rail to trail paths are aggressively crowned for drainage.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I've had a really bad summer cold for two weeks, making my runs pretty strenuous. Yesterday was my first run in half a month without feeling like a child was sitting on my chest :dance:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Just finished couch to 5k last week! Feels great to be able to just go run for half an hour whenever I feel like it!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Famine Poodle posted:

Just finished couch to 5k last week! Feels great to be able to just go run for half an hour whenever I feel like it!
Congrats!!! That is a great accomplishment! :)

No running for me today: 100F/37C outside. I can't handle that.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Did my first 20k for the year yesterday, on asphalt at about 30C so it was rather painful. However my family was waiting for me at the end with lunch ready so it was worth it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I guess this is the new running thread?

I need some shoe advice.

I only run 3-5 miles at a time 2-3 times a week. Usually about a 9 minute/mile pace with a few 100m strides at the end. I’m not into competing unless it’s against myself and I run on asphalt or sidewalks.

I used Brooks Ghosts for a while and then I wanted something different-tried the mizuno wave. Those took some breaking in but they were ok so I went back to the Ghost 12 and they just never felt right to me.

I don’t overpronate or have flat feet or high arches-the feet are just pretty average. I’m 5’8” 170 pounds.

Lately with the ghosts I’ve been having some pain on the ball of my left foot in the middle, reaching up towards the toes a bit, so I went to look for some new shoes. Here’s my experience:

Saucony Triumph 7: didn’t feel much different then the Brooks, but they were new and had some more cushioning, so that was good.

New balance Beacon 3: felt GREAT on a decline but felt a little light on the cushioning going uphill. Worried about the longevity of these since it feels like they won’t last long.

The main reason I didn’t go for another pair of ghosts was because the pain in the left foot. The only thing I can observe when I run is that my left foot seems to land more in the middle of my foot (between the toes and the heel) than my right foot does (which is a heel strike). If I actively think about it when running, I can heel strike with my left foot, but then a minute later I’m day dreaming and landing on the middle again.

I dunno if any of this helps steer me towards a correct shoe or not, but figured I’d give it a shot.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The running thread in YLLS gets a lot more traffic so you might have more luck asking there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522054&pagenumber=1271&perpage=40

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Party Boat posted:

The running thread in YLLS gets a lot more traffic so you might have more luck asking there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522054&pagenumber=1271&perpage=40

Thanks-I know a lot of the biking ones moved here but wasn’t sure on the running thread.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ran ~10 miles on a packed dirt/gravel 400 meter track, 40 laps, changing direction once per mile.

Have been informed by others this makes me some form of psychopath, but oh well. I had some corvids to say hello to, at least.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I ran the LA Marathon 10 years ago. I ride bikes now gently caress running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I just went on a 5k run during lunch and saw not 1, but 2 alligators. Here in Florida we dodge alligators on our runs. Might go foam roll later. I dunno