Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

brains posted:

yeah that's cool and all, except the agency behind it won't admit anything, ignores subpoenas, blanket-banned FOIA requests, has had the highest court in the land basically shrug off constitutional violations, and generally has made itself untouchable by even the DOJ.

Yeah. Who would you send to arrest them? How would you even identify suspects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

A violent left wing "revolution" wouldn't get off its feet before, well
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1268259575200915456

GIP's left wing can't even agree that removing Trump from office is worthwhile.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hmm I think we mostly disagree with the manner of removal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

D&D had a multi-page derail over whether or not it’s okay to feel bad for Trump if one of his kids dies so I’ll tell you that GiP is doing okay in comparison

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I think something like cancelling elections or refusing to accept the results would become a first-hand affront and mobilize a much larger group.

So we could end-up with piecemeal fuckery where some states (or even individual counties) cancel elections, or suddenly the evidence of voting machine fraud gets taken seriously, or the legitimacy of absentee ballots during a pandemic is questioned, which makes "cancelled" a matter of degrees and blurs the line of "the result is invalid."

The uncertainty will be bad for business, so a cabal of CEOs will have to step-in to pick the winners and get the bankers aligned with that decision. Detroit's OCP Corporation will branch out to other cities, first as a private security force for businesses, then as a lowball bidder for municipal police replacements. The rest, &c.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ASAPI posted:

I keep hearing "just wait", but I don't see it. Unless there is a mass underground command structure, I don't see it ever happening. For a violent revolution to actually work, people need to know who to "get" first.

This topic is extremely interesting to me. I think we do need some change. I just don't see enough people being able to effectively execute this. Especially without a solid command and control structure.

Listening to the last few seasons of the Revolutions podcast, the overall theme is very much that a structure isn’t needed to spark an uprising. But also plenty of people have tried to initiate revolt themselves only to fizzle despite having completely valid grievances.

A plant is a great analogy. If an individual incident doesn’t have fertile soil and the right conditions to grow, nothing will come of it.

But if it’s the right kind of seed in the right situation in the right environment and tended in the right way, it can grow tremendously quickly and fully.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fallom posted:

D&D had a multi-page derail over whether or not it’s okay to feel bad for Trump if one of his kids dies so I’ll tell you that GiP is doing okay in comparison

If Tiffany died I'd feel bad for her because nobody else cared.

brains
May 12, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah. Who would you send to arrest them? How would you even identify suspects?

the real answer is that if the governors truly objected, they would have their national guard out in force arresting unidentified minivan cosplayers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Trump started making tear gas btw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Tiffany is the Fred Jr. of the current Trump generation.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thwomp posted:

Listening to the last few seasons of the Revolutions podcast, the overall theme is very much that a structure isn’t needed to spark an uprising. But also plenty of people have tried to initiate revolt themselves only to fizzle despite having completely valid grievances.

A plant is a great analogy. If an individual incident doesn’t have fertile soil and the right conditions to grow, nothing will come of it.

But if it’s the right kind of seed in the right situation in the right environment and tended in the right way, it can grow tremendously quickly and fully.

Another touched on this point as well about my "command and control" statement. While I agree that the "spark" doesn't need any form of unifying command and control, the actual revolution would need some form of structure to continue and achieve their goals.

I have a hard time believing that a plucky group of demonstrators are capable of quickly forming a command and control system to coordinate attacks against the American gov't.

We can all see the (to use your plant analogy) seed taking and starting to sprout. I just don't see the plant growing much more than what it is, at least in a violent manner.

If we look at statements in this very forum we know it to be true. There are some who feel (arguably, rightly) that they are disenfranchised in the political system with the choices before them. None of those people openly call for open rebellion, only for a continuation of the civil unrest we see know and a healthy dose of "we are doomed" talk in regards to the current political system.

Maybe I am wrong and just look in the wrong places. I just don't see the "trigger" for further escalation. I wish I could talk with those who might be in that realm, it's a topic I find deeply interesting and would love to hear that side.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

She campaigned for him so she can eat poo poo too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What about all the people who are on the verge of being evicted/foreclosed on from not being able to pay for their housing anymore? I would think if people by the tens of thousands get put out into the street, it could certainly move things toward the tipping point as far as rebellion (or whatever we'd call it)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrMojok posted:

What about all the people who are on the verge of being evicted/foreclosed on from not being able to pay for their housing anymore? I would think if people by the tens of thousands get put out into the street, it could certainly move things toward the tipping point as far as rebellion (or whatever we'd call it)

Temporarily displaced future millionaires.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrMojok posted:

Idk we already have 22% of the world's prison population. Let's funnel more money to campaigns from private prison owners.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny English was a documentary

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I would think that actual revolution or whatever doesn't come from "plucky groups of protestors", it happens when a significant portion of the population decides to tell the govt to get hosed. The various groups and leadership emerge out of that clusterfuck, I don't think, at least initially, that there's any need for any huge command & control, it's more organic than that.

PS. I'm completely pulling this outta my rear end from my vague memories of the arab spring and uhhh playing rear end Creed french revolution.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Fuckface in Chief giving press conference on Coronavirus. It's full of as much bullshit, falsehoods, unneeded words, ramblings, and outright lies as you'd expect.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the US isn't going to have a revolution anytime soon, right or left.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

Fuckface in Chief giving press conference on Coronavirus. It's full of as much bullshit, falsehoods, unneeded words, ramblings, and outright lies as you'd expect.

Apparently he's just reading poo poo, so it's a NEW TONE!!!!

Note: this is before any Q&A so lol

Edit: WAT https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1285689059831099392?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 21, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the US isn't going to have a revolution anytime soon, right or left.

One could argue that the senate GOP's push to block the last executives scotus picks, their direct or indirect support of the current executives actions and their lack of concern over the DoJ to drop cases against Flynn etc are a good example of an authoritarian revolution underway for a while now. Whether it succeeds or fails we will know for sure by early January.

brains
May 12, 2004

That Works posted:

One could argue that the senate GOP's push to block the last executives scotus picks, their direct or indirect support of the current executives actions and their lack of concern over the DoJ to drop cases against Flynn etc are a good example of an authoritarian revolution underway for a while now. Whether it succeeds or fails we will know for sure by early January.

this is more indicative of a failed state than a revolution though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

brains posted:

this is more indicative of a failed state than a revolution though

Possibly. Bit of semantics and grey areas (imo) but either way the result is regime change?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
All I know is what I heard a historian say which is "if your plan for a revolution includes '... and then the people will rise up' it's definitely gonna fail."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

And we have our headline out of the coronavirus briefing.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1285689928484093960

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 21, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a lot going on in that clip.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm researching smilies as part of the labeling effort to make them more searchable and found a current event from 11 years ago, we have a photo of our very own McNally in a post from 17 July 2009:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 21, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/sta...ingawful.com%2F

:rolleyes:

brains
May 12, 2004

Midjack posted:

I'm researching smilies as part of the labeling effort to make them more searchable and found a current event from 11 years ago, we have a photo of our very own McNally in a post from 17 July 2009:

ehhh could we maybe not dig up personal pictures and details people posted 11 years ago in the july 2020 current events thread? i realize it's all out there but still, feels kinda gross.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

And we have our headline out of the coronavirus briefing.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1285689928484093960

It was so amazing. It's as if he's admitting he was close friends. With sex traffickers. Of kids. With his name and number in Epstein's black book.

He definitely raped kids with Epstein and Clinton.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hmm, thinking 36 hours tops.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Hmm, thinking 36 hours tops.

more like 3-6 hours

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ABC is just sucking trump's dick so that they can maybe get out of the "fake news" bubble.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

brains posted:

ehhh could we maybe not dig up personal pictures and details people posted 11 years ago in the july 2020 current events thread? i realize it's all out there but still, feels kinda gross.

Sure, done.

brains
May 12, 2004

here's some current events that should have been from years ago:

Business Insider posted:

The US military is starting to get concerned about law enforcement dressing up in Army uniforms

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has made the Trump administration aware of his concerns with the appropriation of the US military's uniforms by law enforcement agencies as they face off with protesters in cities like Portland, Oregon, a Pentagon spokesman said Tuesday afternoon.

"We saw this take place back in June, when there were some law enforcement that wore uniforms that make them appear military," Defense Department spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said to reporters, referencing the George Floyd protests throughout the country earlier this year.

"The secretary has a expressed a concern of this within the administration, that we want a system where people can tell the difference," he added.

The confusion became apparent after video footage and pictures showed law enforcement officials, many of whom refused to identify themselves or the agency they were working for, wearing the US Army's camouflage uniform as they confronted demonstrators.

This confusion has been compounded after other activists, such as the Boogaloo movement, wore pieces of the same uniform or carried with them military-style gear to the same protests throughout the country.

The Custom and Border Protection's (CBP) immediate-response force, otherwise known as the Border Patrol Tactical Unit (BORTAC), often wear military uniforms with their own custom patches.

Members of this group were sent to Portland to quell the protests, which went on for over 50 days and were linked to the defacement of federal buildings, according to the CBP. BORTAC's actions at the protests were scrutinized after video footage revealed its agents detaining a suspected anarchist and whisking them away in an unmarked minivan. The incident prompted lawmakers to demand an investigation.

US Army Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, previously highlighted his concerns about the optics of law enforcement officials dressing like military service members while responding to protests, saying there needs to be clear "visual distinction" between the two organizations.

"You want a clear definition between that which is military and that which is police, in my view," Milley said during a congressional hearing on July 9. "Because when you start introducing the military, you're talking about a different level of effort there."
who could have thought that 20+ years of dumping billions of milsurp onto police departments would make those departments indistinguishable from the actual military.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
This happened the other day off of Aruba.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/07/20/dutch-military-helicopter-crashes-near-aruba-killing-2-crew.html

They don't know why the helio went down, other than it being a helio, but they were able to recover the black box.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

When we get to 500k dead he'll start talking in complete sentences.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

"DONT RAT ME OUT"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Shout out to Maxwell was something he definitely needed to include. :chaostrump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

brains posted:

here's some current events that should have been from years ago:

who could have thought that 20+ years of dumping billions of milsurp onto police departments would make those departments indistinguishable from the actual military.

In retrospect the marines trademarking their MARPAT doesn’t seem that weird now