Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bah, kinda bummed I read that Sam spoiler. I've got a question, I know they're allowed 10 items, but none of them list "tarps" as one of their things but they all seem to have them. I'm assuming they're given a large tarp as part of their kit they don't have to choose from. Seems weird that's one, but a sleeping bag isn't included since everyone will always take one of those. Is there a bunch of stuff they just "get" to use and the 10 items are just the extra bits like slingshots and bows and axes and stuff?

I don’t think everyone has chosen sleeping bags. I can’t remember, but I think at least one person brought a heavy wool blanket. Some are so hard core that they want to show that they can survive with what they find in nature.

There is a list of things that are included and don’t count towards your ten items. Let me see if I can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

mombot posted:

What do t you understand? Sending some home for dangerous weight loss?

What? Pretty clear that's not what I said.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TheAardvark posted:

That being said I was really curious to see what the 10 things everyone picked bring were, but I can not for the life of me find a list for season 1. They keep taunting me with the website link in the show but they only seem to keep the latest season on it. Every other site that says they have it says not to scroll past for major season spoilers :ohdear: can anyone help me out?

I finally gave in 6 episodes in because I saw someone had arrows and was like wtf they can bring that?

Anyway for some reason the only site with the season 1 gear list had absolutely no spoilers on it, listing each person's gear one by one, until for some reason they marked **THIS PERSON WON** on the winner. great website

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think Alone has backed down from the 10 things over the seasons because they no longer talk about it and it's really not safe to limit people so severely that far north. I have years of experience in nearly identical weather and terrain in Alaska and it is very unforgiving. It's tiring to walk because the muskeg is such lumpy ground. Now it looks like they get a few cases of camera gear, some tarps, a certain amount of cold weather gear, first aid, emergency rations, bear spray and horns, axe, saw, firestarter, gill net, etc. Some seasons had preview episodes where I think they talk about that stuff.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
It turns out my cousin worked on casting for Alone Season 7. I can try to pass along any questions.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

wormil posted:

I think Alone has backed down from the 10 things over the seasons because they no longer talk about it and it's really not safe to limit people so severely that far north. I have years of experience in nearly identical weather and terrain in Alaska and it is very unforgiving. It's tiring to walk because the muskeg is such lumpy ground. Now it looks like they get a few cases of camera gear, some tarps, a certain amount of cold weather gear, first aid, emergency rations, bear spray and horns, axe, saw, firestarter, gill net, etc. Some seasons had preview episodes where I think they talk about that stuff.

No. They’re still required to only bring ten from a preselected and approved list. However, there are some items that are automatically included and don’t count towards the 10. I know several who were on last season and they did just fine with what they had, especially two of my friends, but they were both very used to cold weather.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
On episode 7 of 12 Monkeys in only 3 days (as someone who rarely watches more than 2 episodes of the same thing on the same day, this is a big thing for me). Been watching a lot of intense, deep and dour dramas or thriller shows recently so I think my brain just wanted something more pulpy that also wasn't a huge investment, and everyone is talking about Dark right now which as mentioned is more of the same, so I gravitated to the same concept done without the pretense, I guess.

Already like how it veers away from the storyline of the movie almost immediately. It still suffers from the issues associated with being a Canadian low-budget sci-fi production and with what I can only describe as a typical basic cable production style. But apparently the first season is known to be the worst by far and I've been entertained enough to see where it goes within that context so I can see myself finishing it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
12Monkeys is one of my favorite shows ever and it definitely gets better as it goes along. Stick with it if you're enjoying it so far. The ending is perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

everyone is talking about Dark right now which as mentioned is more of the same, so I gravitated to the same concept done without the pretense, I guess.

oof

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We're almost done watching Dark and...it's okay. The writing and acting are fine, and there have been some really interesting soundtrack choices that I've liked a lot. It's pretty convoluted, though, and as someone who constantly struggles with remembering names/faces I keep losing track of who is who, and where/when they are. I like it all right but I'm glad it's over soon.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm the same way and I couldn't get back in to Dark for season 2 - less than a year after watching season 1 I couldn't remember who anyone was, and a YouTube synopsis did not help much.

I think it's a little worse than usual because reading subtitles reduces my already terrible ability to memorize faces and names.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Dark is very , very good.unfortunetly, it only becomes very very good on rewatches.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mombot posted:

No. They’re still required to only bring ten from a preselected and approved list. However, there are some items that are automatically included and don’t count towards the 10. I know several who were on last season and they did just fine with what they had, especially two of my friends, but they were both very used to cold weather.

So basically what I said.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kuddles posted:

On episode 7 of 12 Monkeys in only 3 days (as someone who rarely watches more than 2 episodes of the same thing on the same day, this is a big thing for me). Been watching a lot of intense, deep and dour dramas or thriller shows recently so I think my brain just wanted something more pulpy that also wasn't a huge investment

S1 of 12 Monkeys is pretty complex if you want to deep dive. I would have missed a lot if not for the goon thread. They dumb it down a little more each season but it's still a lot of fun and there is more depth than most Syfy or prime time shows.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

wormil posted:

I'm almost done with season 6, not sure if there are more after this, but they definitely don't make sure you have an axe or firestarter. A couple people specifically mentioned not including those things in there 10 items.

Not saying you're overall point is wrong, just that those 2 things were for sure not provided from what I've seen so far.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm almost done with season 6, not sure if there are more after this, but they definitely don't make sure you have an axe or firestarter. A couple people specifically mentioned not including those things in there 10 items.

Not saying you're overall point is wrong, just that those 2 things were for sure not provided from what I've seen so far.

I don't remember anyone not having a firestarter by s6 but I do remember at least one person went home after losing theirs. Maybe I'm misremembering, is anyone in s6 relying on primitive firemaking skills? But they definitely get more than 10 items. In one season they got 3 tarps. And in s7 I believe everyone has a firestarter, axe, and saw, but they don't talk about equipment so I'm going off what I can see in the show. They got at least 1 big tarp in s7.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

If they're such awesome survivalists why can they just make tarps from scratch?

Weak.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
almost finished with season 2 now of das boot.

Season 1 is good if you want to scratch that ww2 drama itch.

Season 2 is ridiculous. Season 1 has a mutiny against a uboat captain that is left in a dingy in the middle of the Atlantic. Season 2 he has somehow made his way to NYC, where he walks around completely free, attending high society functions. But he is dying to go back to Germany and rejoin the nazi war effort, befriending a nazi spy in NYC... until he goes to a jazz club, plays some piano with a Black singer and they fall in love and start a relationship.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I have been binge-watching Scrubs on Hulu for the last few weeks, and we're probably going to finish Season 5 tomorrow night. I never made it past Season 6 when it aired, and she's watching it all for the first time. But looking through episode descriptions, I see Hulu has completely skipped three random episodes, and I have no idea how that happened. Is anyone familiar enough with Scrubs to wager a guess -- if it could be as simple as music rights or clips from other intellectual properties (see the first one below), or possibly some offensive content?

Season 3, episode 8: "My Friend the Doctor"
When Dr. Cox hurts his back showing off in front of Turk, he begins to realize he's not as young as he used to be. J.D. isn't impressed with the false personalities the Janitor uses on the rest of the staff, until he recognizes him playing a transit policeman in The Fugitive (in which Neil Flynn did appear) and concludes that the Janitor is an actor.

Season 5, episode 4: "My Jiggly Ball"
J.D. struggles to find something positive to talk about when assigned to introduce Dr. Kelso at an awards dinner, especially after Kelso chooses a wealthier patient for a drug trial after promising the opportunity to another. Carla and Turk attempt to help Elliot, stuck working in a free clinic, get her job at Sacred Heart back. Everyone except for J.D. seems to know of a game called "Jiggly Ball".

Season 5, episode 17: "My Chopped Liver"
Carla is forced to do Kelso's job, saying "no" to people's requests. J.D.'s patient who needs a liver transplant recovers but his brother who donated gets worse. Dr. Cox is forced to attend a couples' dinner with Elliot and Keith, with the result that the other interns try to befriend him as well (much to J.D.'s dismay). J.D. himself gets in the way of "Turk Time", causing resentment from his best friend.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I have been binge-watching Scrubs on Hulu for the last few weeks, and we're probably going to finish Season 5 tomorrow night. I never made it past Season 6 when it aired, and she's watching it all for the first time. But looking through episode descriptions, I see Hulu has completely skipped three random episodes, and I have no idea how that happened. Is anyone familiar enough with Scrubs to wager a guess -- if it could be as simple as music rights or clips from other intellectual properties (see the first one below), or possibly some offensive content?

Season 3, episode 8: "My Friend the Doctor"
When Dr. Cox hurts his back showing off in front of Turk, he begins to realize he's not as young as he used to be. J.D. isn't impressed with the false personalities the Janitor uses on the rest of the staff, until he recognizes him playing a transit policeman in The Fugitive (in which Neil Flynn did appear) and concludes that the Janitor is an actor.

Season 5, episode 4: "My Jiggly Ball"
J.D. struggles to find something positive to talk about when assigned to introduce Dr. Kelso at an awards dinner, especially after Kelso chooses a wealthier patient for a drug trial after promising the opportunity to another. Carla and Turk attempt to help Elliot, stuck working in a free clinic, get her job at Sacred Heart back. Everyone except for J.D. seems to know of a game called "Jiggly Ball".

Season 5, episode 17: "My Chopped Liver"
Carla is forced to do Kelso's job, saying "no" to people's requests. J.D.'s patient who needs a liver transplant recovers but his brother who donated gets worse. Dr. Cox is forced to attend a couples' dinner with Elliot and Keith, with the result that the other interns try to befriend him as well (much to J.D.'s dismay). J.D. himself gets in the way of "Turk Time", causing resentment from his best friend.

They removed 3 episodes because of blackface.

Also, the two main leads have created a rewatch podcast called fake doctors real friends.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I spent last weekend watching the new DuckTales on Disney+ and it rules.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

joepinetree posted:

They removed 3 episodes because of blackface.

Also, the two main leads have created a rewatch podcast called fake doctors real friends.

Thanks. I should have known, and I also should have Googled first, but it was very late and I was very tired and had just noticed it. I figured Goons know everything, and I was right!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Season 1 of Alone
LOL @ that dweeb spending an entire day cutting down the wood for a cabin and fireplace because he found some mud and thought it was fireable clay. of course he's also the one that builds a boat and an instrument.

Alan was my favorite from the start, pretty impressed with Sam but I feel like he got the best starting location too. In to season 2 I'm hoping the disparity in locations isn't as bad as S1 was. There was a pattern to who got eliminated that made it seem like the south half of the overall area had 100% of the predators. also the sea is super important and it seemed like not everyone had access to it, while the top 2 had great beaches

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I watched "The Last Dance" over the past couple of days. Being a Chicagoan, I lived through it the first time and remember a lot of it quite intimately as the Jordan years were very much my formative years and the very first championship was the year I graduated high school.

A lot of really great behind the scenes stuff and while MJ can be and certainly is an rear end in a top hat at some points, I think it does a good job of showing that he really is/was a complex person with a deep, but rarely seen, emotional well.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Me and my girlfriend are watching through Boy Meets World and Dawson's Creek. Im surprised how quaint Boy Meets World was. Its an easy watch. On the other side of the coin I dont remember Dawsons Creek being nearly as provocative its proving to be on this watch. Why are so many adults trying to have sex with teenagers in this drat show. We've been joking that this town is a pedophile sanctuary.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Netflix quietly released Norsemen season 3 a few days ago. I've only watched two episodes so far and it appears to be a "prequel" of sorts showing how the stage got set for what happened in seasons 1 and 2. So far it's revealing the origins of Jarl Varg and Orm's horribleness continues to astound for turning what would only be a mundane crime into a capital crime just to save face. Oh, and we get more Froya which is always good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is Doom Patrol any good?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Zzulu posted:

Is Doom Patrol any good?

I like it! The metal guy (voiced by Brendan Fraser) makes me laugh out loud far more often that I ever would have expected, and the two female leads are terrific. I pretty much think D.C. is the crap comic label so I don't honestly know anything about the lore behind any of the characters and I still manage to enjoy it, which speaks to the show's general amicable nature I think.

Give it a shot?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Is Doom Patrol any good?

It's astoundingly good, or at least the first season was. I'm planning to subscribe to HBO Max for a month when the second season is over.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the characters, but the first season was an excellent adaptation of the late '80s comics by Grant Morrison, generally regarded as the best Doom Patrol era ever. And the casting is across-the-board perfect.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Me and my girlfriend are watching through Boy Meets World and Dawson's Creek. Im surprised how quaint Boy Meets World was. Its an easy watch. On the other side of the coin I dont remember Dawsons Creek being nearly as provocative its proving to be on this watch. Why are so many adults trying to have sex with teenagers in this drat show. We've been joking that this town is a pedophile sanctuary.

The later seasons from senior year into college for Boy Meets World are some of my best TV memories. I can recite almost all of Eric's lines. I should re-watch it now that I think of it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ive been binging Leverage . I love that dumb show.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finished all 3 seasons of The Sinner. I liked s1 and s2 (that kid is creepy looking as gently caress). Season 3 was weird, some moments where Ambrose makes some real stupid decisions that ruined any suspension of disbelief.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Can I get a recommendation for cerebral sci-fi TV with few to no aliens/monsters and set on Earth? My roommate has super specific tastes for SF where she loves anything about how people deal with X weird situation but too much blatant "sci fi stuff" will turn her off. So for example we have watched together and enjoyed The Leftovers, Dark, and Lost (her favorite show) but she won't even attempt anything like Star Trek or Buffy - basically if a main character wears latex on their face or they live on a spaceship it's a big no for her.

(I personally think this is ridiculous but w/e it's quarantine times and we're all compromising)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Despite not being on Earth, have you tried BSG? It is the show that opened my wife up to more sci fi. She refused to watched it (cause it was sci fi), but during season 2 she caught enough of the show to start to realize she might like it. We ended going back and re watching the previous season together. Now it is one of her favorite shows (she likes it more than me).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 24, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

showbiz_liz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for cerebral sci-fi TV with few to no aliens/monsters and set on Earth? My roommate has super specific tastes for SF where she loves anything about how people deal with X weird situation but too much blatant "sci fi stuff" will turn her off. So for example we have watched together and enjoyed The Leftovers, Dark, and Lost (her favorite show) but she won't even attempt anything like Star Trek or Buffy - basically if a main character wears latex on their face or they live on a spaceship it's a big no for her.

(I personally think this is ridiculous but w/e it's quarantine times and we're all compromising)

Have you tried Travelers or the 4400? Both deal with time travel and trying to fix the future.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Despite not being on Earth, have you tried BSG? It is the show that opened my wife up to more sci fi. She refused to watched it (cause it was sci fi), but during season 2 she caught enough of the show to start to realize she might like it. We ended going back and re watching the previous season together. Now it is one of her favorite shows.

Sadly she vetoed that as well a while ago. Too much space stuff. I also get the impression that in the past she lived with dudebros who she hated and she now just won't watch any of the shows they watched a lot, and I think BSG is one of those. (Also, weirdly, Veronica Mars.)

TMMadman posted:

Have you tried Travelers or the 4400? Both deal with time travel and trying to fix the future.

Hmm I watched some Travelers on my own and that could work! I think she said she had seen The 4400 but I'll ask, I was always curious about that one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Fringe has a few monsters, but I think she'd like it if she enjoyed Lost.

Person of Interest starts out as a network "case of the week" procedural, but becomes a great cyberpunk action show if you can get through the first half of the first season.

Dollhouse is problematic in some ways, but it also becomes very good starting with the sixth episode, if you can be patient. Fantastic acting in it, too.

Watchmen is magnificent, and at least Season 1 of Westworld was really great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 24, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

showbiz_liz posted:

Sadly she vetoed that as well a while ago. Too much space stuff. I also get the impression that in the past she lived with dudebros who she hated and she now just won't watch any of the shows they watched a lot, and I think BSG is one of those. (Also, weirdly, Veronica Mars.)

Hmm I watched some Travelers on my own and that could work! I think she said she had seen The 4400 but I'll ask, I was always curious about that one.

Understand.

I assume that given her love for Lost and The Leftovers, she has given Watchmen a watch?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Twin Peaks? The OA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ edit - year the OA would probably also be a good fit.

It's not sci fi and would very much break her rules about costumes/monsters, but you could also try to check out Grimm.

However it's a really fun show and has a lot of fun with various old fairy tale stuff.