Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Afternoon storms? In Florida? Chance in a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CactusWeasle posted:

Oh cool ELMS is ba--

:chloe:

Lmao what, only preapproved rich people that you arent actually aware of are ok for racing?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Kat Legge broke her leg testing for ELMS today :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Break a leg, Kat.

No not literally!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Looks like Super GT is going to be livestreamed once again, this time on The Race but with the old NismoTV crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6VBJzPhtI

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean isn't The Race just what used to be Nismo TV? I remember they were really upset at losing Super GT to Motorsport after the Nismo deal ended.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

I mean isn't The Race just what used to be Nismo TV? I remember they were really upset at losing Super GT to Motorsport after the Nismo deal ended.

To my knowledge yes -- they're organizing a news website around it as well. they were NismoTV two years ago, Lets Go Racing last year.

should be good coverage of the Last Great Tire War, enjoy.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
They had a YouTube poll going 'hey guys what do you think should we think about bringing back SuperGT?!?!' like three days ago and now they just have the entire thing set up ready to go. It's like something WWE would do lol.

Edit: can't wait for weird podium ceremony coverage though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Snackula posted:

They had a YouTube poll going 'hey guys what do you think should we think about bringing back SuperGT?!?!' like three days ago and now they just have the entire thing set up ready to go. It's like something WWE would do lol.

Edit: can't wait for weird podium ceremony coverage though.

it's going to be even weirder when Mr. Orange Jacket can't actually hand anything to people.

the first races are all going to be without crowds, I think from October they might allow people back in. And all are going to be shorter races, same as what happened in 2011 after the earthquake as well. So no Fuji 500 miles this year :smith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Imsa race is on, some folks in the discord!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cygni posted:

Imsa race is on, some folks in the discord!

Do we know if they're respecting the bumps this year?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske and Acura probably splitting up in IMSA. Penske linked to Porsche LMDh, Acura linked to splitting up its factory support over multiple teams like the LMP2 days or Cadillac now.

https://racer.com/2020/07/20/acura-expected-to-change-strategy-with-dpi-program/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We joke about Hypercar, but LMDh could be cool as hell.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
$10 says Shank moves to DPi in an Acura

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

We joke about Hypercar, but LMDh could be cool as hell.

It's hard not to clown on it with the reveal sizzle reel tho

"Le Mans, Daytona... h."

I can just imagine what the marketing team was thinking "What the gently caress is h?"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

are we still pretending we dont know it stands for hybrids or what

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with LMDh is they probably won't all break down like the LMP1s used to.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The h is for hype

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

net work error posted:

The h is for horny

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Penske/Acura split is official FYI. Wonder what the Mazda/Multimatic contract looks like. Seems like the immediate future of DPi is in supporting a handful of smaller teams instead of one factory effort, like Cadillac’s been doing, which is probably better for the overall health and vibrancy of the series right now

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

LMDH is fine. LMDh is dumb

edit: (looking into crystal ball)...Le Mans...Daytona...Hockenheim...this shall be the schedule, the runes have spoken

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Peanut President posted:

LMDH is fine. LMDh is dumb

edit: (looking into crystal ball)...Le Mans...Daytona...Hockenheim...this shall be the schedule, the runes have spoken

A good track, a decent track, and a Tilke-designed sin against nature, balance in all things is preserved.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orange juche posted:

A good track, a decent track, and a Tilke-designed sin against nature, balance in all things is preserved.

original hockenheim

no chicanes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

original hockenheim

no chicanes

I could get down with that, and since they'd be endurance cars they wouldn't have F1 primadonnas bitching about the straight being too long.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Why is Herman Tilke so creatively bankrupt? Like who looks at a natural landscape for a track and says "lol i'm gonna plop down the Caracciola Karussell from Nurburgring, and then feed that into Eau Rouge, and then work in the Parabolica from Monza somehow and it's all gonna be so loving excellent" except it sucks poo poo because a big part of the appeal of road courses is building the course around the landscape instead of hammering the landscape to your will.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Tilke is given the unenviable task of being given the shittest race series on the planet and told to build tracks to make it good. When he doesnt have those restraints, he is capable of designing tracks like Atlanta Motorsports Park.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's not like there's much room for interesting ideas when it comes to meeting FIA grade 1 standards and also something F1 can kind of race on, gotta have a long fast corner to show off how good the aero is and at least 2 long rear end straights for DRS.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its also part of the business but I never understood why track revitalization was never a thing. Isn't f1 a better series if you spend the money to make say, Imola fit for F1 instead of holding a race in some petro-state?

And yeah that means spending f1 money on someone else's asset but c'mon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

every track F1 tried to "fix", they hosed up forever. its the primary reason everyone screams whenever a writer floats a "F1 to return to Watkins Glen? Long Beach? going to Road America?" story

that series deserves to be tied to the dogshit tracks in awful dictatorships they run at (like COTA), and need to stay away from all the Good tracks and series

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

every track F1 tried to "fix", they hosed up forever. its the primary reason everyone screams whenever a writer floats a "F1 to return to Watkins Glen? Long Beach? going to Road America?" story

that series deserves to be tied to the dogshit tracks in awful dictatorships they run at (like COTA), and need to stay away from all the Good tracks and series

It would still be really cool to see F1 cars go through the corkscrew though and then I could actually easily see a race in person.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

algebra testes posted:

Isn't f1 a better series if you spend the money to make say, Imola fit for F1 instead of holding a race in some petro-state?

They ruined Fuji Speedway trying to make it "fit" for F1. Better to keep the track as it is and live with modern F1 on the track rather than try to "modernize" Imola and destroy one of the classic racetracks of the world.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shank to Acura makes too much sense, and depending on what happens with the BMW GTE program, I could also see Rahal sliding over to that. Though if BMW wants to get in on an LMDh program (...he says the same week they officially take a new GT3 car to track, one with a twin-turbo straight six even) Rahal or Andretti would be the obvious choices for partner (Andretti runs the Formula E program). Ganassi are also a big team who could get infrastructure up for a new program.

Multimatic would surely have a good contract for Mazda for development and running the race team, but since they're one of four LMP2 chassis manufacturers for the new generation, they'll likely have to partner with another company for development at some point. Could be the Ford link coming back again.

Penske and Porsche makes so drat much sense. So long as that keeps both in IMSA long-term I consider that a win, especially if Acura stays and just shifts its assets.

We're getting pretty close to needing to stick or twist on 2022 for LMDh aka DPI v2, so hopefully there's news sooner than later (including if they're pushing the rules introduction back).

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If F1 is looking for a new track that is actually good and grade 1, there's a circuit that was built for F1, never had a race, which instead went to the dogshit Abu Dhabi circuit. Dubai Autodrome is way better in every way and has never had a chance outside of small time endurance racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If F1 is looking for a new track that is actually good and grade 1, there's a circuit that was built for F1, never had a race, which instead went to the dogshit Abu Dhabi circuit. Dubai Autodrome is way better in every way and has never had a chance outside of small time endurance racing.

I'm sure the intra-emirate slap fight means they wouldn't have a chance, but if F1 needs to have multiple races in the region this year it could make sense.

Kuwait also somehow has a grade 1 circuit? I don't think I've heard of any international series going there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Countries spending shitloads on new tracks with the intent of getting an F1 race and then never getting that race is endlessly funny. Like Moscow Raceway was built as an F1 track with FIA consulting but the only way to make the track workable financially was to also get MotoGP and the FIM basically said "nah". Then we got Sochi and the biggest series Moscow's ever hosted is DTM.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of Fuji, which you are correct is terrible, Super GT was great last weekend.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If Kyalami could bump up their FIA grade to 1, it'd be pretty rad for F1.

Also honestly if we could get a track on the F1 calendar with no changes, I'd love to see Sebring. It would be such a unique challenge for the F1 cars compared to any other circuit, and P1s have already ran there no problem. Mostly I wanna see Ferrari's suspension implode over the bumps in T17

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If Kyalami could bump up their FIA grade to 1, it'd be pretty rad for F1.

Also honestly if we could get a track on the F1 calendar with no changes, I'd love to see Sebring. It would be such a unique challenge for the F1 cars compared to any other circuit, and P1s have already ran there no problem. Mostly I wanna see Ferrari's suspension implode over the bumps in T17

And that's precisely why it would never be a F1 track. If the surface isn't glass smooth they're not interested.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

F1 has no respect for the bumps

Also what's the new BMW GT3? I thought they were still running the M6 for GT3 and M8 in gtlm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
M4 gt3 was tested recently for a 21/22 start. They are really leaning into the Race Car You Can Buy angle which I guess is GT3's