Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Next watch TimeTrax.

why are YOU like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Jennifer Goines was the definition of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I254cTZ5NOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDmq-3WgNg

Emily Hampshire should have won all the awards

Not an empty quote, but I also have nothing to add :3:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

why are YOU like this

I could have mentioned Sapphire & Steel instead!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Jennifer Goines was the definition of fun.

Jennifer Goines was a collection of quirks in search of a character, just did nothing for me, sorry,

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Korra is hitting Netflix on August 14th. Which makes sense seeing as Netflix is still actively working on their live action TLA series.

Also Neil Gaiman gave an interview about Netflix's Sandman series where he talked about how they're currently casting. Also he revealed that the first season will cover issues 1-16 which is the first two of the collected volumes. This would be the opening story arc about Morpheus escaping from captivity and getting his poo poo back together followed by the arc that focuses on Rose, the young woman who is looking for her brother and ends up at a convention for serial killers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Korra is hitting Netflix on August 14th.

The waves of disappointment radiating off the internet will be something to behold.

E: Books 3 and 4 are good tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Part 4: Is it a weird sex thing?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Also Neil Gaiman gave an interview about Netflix's Sandman series where he talked about how they're currently casting. Also he revealed that the first season will cover issues 1-16 which is the first two of the collected volumes. This would be the opening story arc about Morpheus escaping from captivity and getting his poo poo back together followed by the arc that focuses on Rose, the young woman who is looking for her brother and ends up at a convention for serial killers.

I really need to re-read The Sandman. I've been meaning to do that for over a decade now. Maybe this will finally give me the impetus to do so.

My memories of it are so good (it's probably my favorite comic, maybe with Y as the contender) that I am kind of worried that re-reading it now (especially as I've cooled a bit on Gaiman since ~2005) it won't hold up, and that will really bum me out if so.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaN9jVrVf_w

This is tv I guess lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So... it’s G4TV 2.0?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Does I’ll Be Gone in the Dark get any better or is it a documentary about Michelle McNamara and rich white lady true crime hobbyists all the way down?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh wow that's just straight up Sasha Grey. I guess I heard she's been Twitch streaming and stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh cool, it's a migraine in YouTube form

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

oh jay posted:

Oh wow that's just straight up Sasha Grey. I guess I heard she's been Twitch streaming and stuff.

Sasha Grey, star of a couple of the Saints Row games!?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

Sasha Grey, star of a couple of the Saints Row games!?

She's fantastic in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so Person of Interest keeps getting brought up and there's even a rewatch thread so I have questions. I watched the pilot with my wife and about 3/4 the way through we both lost all interest. Does it suffer from pilotitis? Is it actually good or is it just good for a CBS procedural? Is it a sci-fi or is it just a drama. At what point does it become good and can we just skip to that point or are we just better off staying away if it didn't grab us right away?

Confession, I easily get Jim Caviezel and Eric Roberts mixed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least watch episode 7.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

Ok so Person of Interest keeps getting brought up and there's even a rewatch thread so I have questions. I watched the pilot with my wife and about 3/4 the way through we both lost all interest. Does it suffer from pilotitis? Is it actually good or is it just good for a CBS procedural? Is it a sci-fi or is it just a drama. At what point does it become good and can we just skip to that point or are we just better off staying away if it didn't grab us right away?

It goes from crime drama to more sci-fi as it goes on. It has some really, really high peaks and the show overall is really good.

E:it’s like Fringe where it starts a bit slow for a TV show but then hits the gas and doesn’t let up when it realizes it has to make the individual episodes hold up instead of just the whole plot, basically.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 22, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

precision posted:

She's fantastic in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience

There was this weird rear end movie called The Scribbler with Sasha Grey, Katie Cassidy, Eliza Dushku and Michelle Trachtenberg. I think I didn't like it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

Season 1 is an excellent version of a CBS procedural. There's painstaking subtle buildup of long-running arcs smuggled into the episode of the week stuff...but it doesn't really become anything more than that until season 2/3. The problem with skipping to the good bits is that it keeps putting important flashbacks or bringing in recurring characters almost every episode, so you're gonna end up missing a lot.

The tone of the show remains the same, so if that was a major part of you disliking it you might just never enjoy it.

Here's one essential episode guide, with some spoilers attached, should you wish to try it again while skipping the worst episodes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The pilot, and frankly the first season, isn't representative of what the show eventually becomes like, but a lot of stuff does get set up in the first season so you can't just skip it entirely. But definitely there are a number of eps that are pure filler and don't do anything for the overall story so follow that episode guide if you must. I heavily recommend not skipping anything once you've reached season 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Season 1 needs to be watched as it's foundational to everything that comes after

Also because it's good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC Universe is no longer allowing yearly subs, only $8 per month. Totally not a sign of things to come.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PoI loves to stick crucial serial plot points into otherwise worthless episodes. It’s two seasons of really good scifi in 5 seasons of procedural fluff. The fluff gets better that part of the show starts to take itself less seriously, but just watch it with an episode guide because the scifi concepts it addresses have become fairly well-tread turf since its release.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
On the other hand, a lot of the filler episodes are my favorite ones with some really fun characters and action. If you get annoyed when there’s a main plot and it isn’t always moving forward, it isn’t for you. If you want a Burn Notice kind of thing where the case of the week is super fun, PoI is like that but the plot for the series is actually good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CubanMissile posted:

Does I’ll Be Gone in the Dark get any better or is it a documentary about Michelle McNamara and rich white lady true crime hobbyists all the way down?

It was marketed first and foremost as a documentary about her and how delving into true crime stuff affected her and her family so it's not going to get better in that regard, no.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What I heard was Fringe so I'm down. When does Walternate show up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

What I heard was Fringe so I'm down. When does Walternate show up

Not a literal Walternate, but the same concept comes in around towards the end of S2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was lukewarm on Person of Interest for the first six episodes, but episode 7 is when I realized they had a plan and cool things were starting to happen. After that I think there may have been two or three more relatively forgettable stand-alone episodes, but by the season midpoint I was enjoying the hell out of it and fully on board. After that, it gets great and stays there.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sasha Grey owns and her streams are pretty alright.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not a literal Walternate, but the same concept comes in around towards the end of S2.

That is not the answer I expected.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

That is not the answer I expected.

A lot of the characters actually have counterparts in a way that reminds me of Fringe but they’re inhabiting the same universe. It’s really well done.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just finished Dark. It was really, really good.

As a lark, I turned on the English dub after I finished. :laffo:

Not sure how anyone gets through it like that: so much of the acting is lost in translation. And the original dialogue is so hilariously and stereotypically German. The dub VAs do a fine job, I'm sure, but this is definitely a sub > dub for me.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

One of the things I’ve noticed when rewatching Fringe up through season 4 is how Astrid really doesn’t have any plots or agency in the series, she’s basically an exposition device and occasional victim. The only real plot she has is when the other Astrid comes over when her father dies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of annoying emotional subplots AND time travel, two of this thread's favourite subjects:

The weepy emotional melodrama that describes the romantic relationship between Dr. Cassandra Railly and James Cole on goon-favourite sci-fi action series12 Monkeys...

Everyone know's it's crap, and that's why no one ever talks about it, yeah?

Tyler Whitney posted:

One of the things I’ve noticed when rewatching Fringe up through season 4 is how Astrid really doesn’t have any plots or agency in the series, she’s basically an exposition device and occasional victim. The only real plot she has is when the other Astrid comes over when her father dies.

I always thought it was such a shame how the show basically wasted its supporting cast. Blair Brown once said she'd never do another one of those "boy's shows" (her words, not mine) after having done nothing on Fringe for years. I swear in the last few seasons they'd just slap a new wig or a prosthetic on her and act like that made her character interesting.

That show was basically three people most of the time.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 22, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's definitely better in the movie with all the Vertigo references to reinforce that it's a hosed up relationoship.

But seeing Dr Railly in that nazi uniform was pretty cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been rewatching childhood favorite Space Ghost Coast to Coast now that it’s on Max and I was really enjoying the hell out of it until I got to Switcheroo ‘97 and idly thought to myself “Huh, this episode is 23 years old”, and then the crushing weight of that statement hit me.

I remember when this loving show premiered :negative:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been rewatching childhood favorite Space Ghost Coast to Coast now that it’s on Max and I was really enjoying the hell out of it until I got to Switcheroo ‘97 and idly thought to myself “Huh, this episode is 23 years old”, and then the crushing weight of that statement hit me.

I remember when this loving show premiered :negative:

I have Max through Hulu: how do I find this?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ovenmaster posted:

Mostly what I remember from Travelers is that Patrick Gilmore's character David Mailer becomes a massive Gary Sue (not in terms of competence, just... everybody likes him and he's portrayed as a saint) which gives me a really creepy vibe because he has a character in You Me Her that essentially evolves into the same character, and I have to wonder if that's that actor's 'thing', nagging the screenwriters incessantly to turn his character into a more and more flawless person.

The character in Travelers is just one of those terrible nerd bait types. Schlubby nerd lands hot girlfriend through actions of devotion. Sweet, but pandering, yeah? But it's based around such a hosed up premise -- that a social worker would gently caress a woman claiming to have been an FBI agent undercover as a woman with brain damage -- that it's kind of a staggering train crash for about five episodes, and then it settles back into being boring.

I did not want the two of them together at the end as much as the show did.

Of all of the show's characters, Trevor's complex sexual ambiguity was probably the most fun, if stupid. Should've hooked up with Grace though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have Max through Hulu: how do I find this?

Not sure, I use the standalone Max app. It should just be wherever they dump all the Adult Swim shows. They’re missing a few episodes though, presumably due to rights issues.