Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Holy poo poo dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Motherfucker posted:

Really? Cuz I'm starting to think maybe you don't. I'm starting to think caves of qud is looking forward to a very very ignoble middle age when you finally hit the wall of whatever you're working for and decide to flow back over the content and really just smear your loving hands all over everything that made the game interesting in the first place.

See now I know that you don't know what made your game fun to me. My favourite part of this game was the time I proselytized an astral tabby, gave it mechanical arms and a phase cannon and let a ghost cat go free... killing everyone with impunity. That was great. Now I know that you joyless fucks would be looking for exactly where you'd stick the knife in that incredible moment. Where would you by the way? Maybe not allow people to proselytize certain creatures... maybe not allow missile slots with helping hands. How many potential fun moments are you willing to snuff the gently caress out for some loftier goal of tone or balence

This is nothing. By the time you have it you won't need it.

post 1000 words about what you like in the current build

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Love how his rapsheet is just two pages of him being an angry rear end in a top hat about the smallest issues, all the time. Someone needs to go to anger management classes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Goddamn it. :ck5:

Someone make a pick axed crocodile emote.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
motherfucker!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

I'm going to tack an extra 500 onto this because I specifically asked you to come back less hostile and, as best as I can tell, you got off probation with the angriest post ready to go. Not more because looking at this thread reports got me into giving Qud another try. I installed the tutorial mod from the workshop and was quickly pasted in a Fist of the North Star-esque manner by 8 simultaneous attacks from a sleeping boulder monster.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you angered a kind of gigantic tardigrade

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Anyone playing this game without a numpad? just picked it up and the default laptop controls are mind-bending. Is there a better way, is this something you get used to?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn it. :ck5:

Someone make a pick axed crocodile emote.

This emote is gross af

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a source of sleep resist?

Is there another source of conf resist 'sides sphynx injectors?

I'm generally getting past the point where the usual beater mobs are a serious threat so my deaths are coming from the lol fuk u mechanics now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

oddium posted:

I dunno dude. I'd have to play the game as it is right now to get there which is just... not fun.

IronicDongz posted:

why on earth would you care so much about the stupid precog exploit. isn't the point of getting new mutations that they're very random

See precog was the baby that got thrown out but lets take a look at the bathwater we're supposed to be drinking.

You build a character, four arms, phase, sleepy gas and spinarettes, really good. Fun guy. You ghost around sleeping people and stabbing them. Its fun. But it could be more fun.

So you save up your cash and you wander down to the circus to visit the Mutation Clown. You hand him four hundred dollars and suddenly he snaps one of those dog control leashes around your loving neck, you scream and thrash but he dosn't let go... eventually you calm down and he fans his cards, "CHOOSE" he bellows in a shrieking voice, "Can't I just get paralytic stinger?? Its the only one I really want" you cry but he simply wails "CHOOSE" so you choose three cards, "Erectile dysfunction, glue womb and beeteeth" reads your selection as you stare, sweating. "What'd you get?" Asks the clown... you can't show him these, "Nothing. Uh, can I go... please" "No pal, you paid up! Show me what you got??" But you can't show him. None of this is fun. This would ruin your fun... You spent so long getting this far, your only crime was wanting novelty and now you are trapped. Trapped by the clown. A game of russian roulette with a fully loaded revolver.

You quit, you go play dungeonmans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 22, 2020

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Yeah you should probably go do that. Clearly this game is dangerous to your mental health and probably blood pressure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's time to threadban this dude

but i would like unormal to consider 'Beeteeth' as a possible future mutation

quote:

You have gained the activated ability Spew Swarm

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 22, 2020

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I personally feel that roulette tables should pay out no matter which number the ball stops on.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Motherfucker posted:

I dunno dude. I'd have to play the game as it is right now to get there which is just... not fun.

See precog was the baby that got thrown out but lets take a look at the bathwater we're supposed to be drinking.

You build a character, four arms, phase, sleepy gas and spinarettes, really good. Fun guy. You ghost around sleeping people and stabbing them. Its fun. But it could be more fun.

So you save up your cash and you wander down to the circus to visit the Mutation Clown. You hand him four hundred dollars and suddenly he snaps one of those dog control leashes around your loving neck, you scream and thrash but he dosn't let go... eventually you calm down and he fans his cards, "CHOOSE" he bellows in a shrieking voice, "Can't I just get paralytic stinger?? Its the only one I really want" you cry but he simply wails "CHOOSE" so you choose three cards, "Erectile dysfunction, glue womb and beeteeth" reads your selection as you stare, sweating. "What'd you get?" Asks the clown... you can't show him these, "Nothing. Uh, can I go... please" "No pal, you paid up! Show me what you got??" But you can't show him. None of this is fun. This would ruin your fun... You spent so long getting this far, your only crime was wanting novelty and now you are trapped. Trapped by the clown. A game of russian roulette with a fully loaded revolver.

You quit, you go play dungeonmans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jesus fuckin christ you are the whiniest baby in the world

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

victrix posted:

Is there a source of sleep resist?

Is there another source of conf resist 'sides sphynx injectors?

I'm generally getting past the point where the usual beater mobs are a serious threat so my deaths are coming from the lol fuk u mechanics now.

IIRC gas masks and dreambeard paste

And mazebeard paste for confusion, though that might just be the gas

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Zosologist posted:

Anyone playing this game without a numpad? just picked it up and the default laptop controls are mind-bending. Is there a better way, is this something you get used to?

I did this for ages on my numpadless Macbook. You get used to it. My new laptop has a numpad so autoexplore is bound to NUM0 and I still hit z every time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I did LOL at  "Erectile dysfunction, glue womb and beeteeth", that's some creative hyperbole at least!

I haven't played in quite a while but I'm planning to soon with the big tomb release. I know they added some procedural generated book of sonnets a while ago iirc, is there a place I would go to find that specifically other than a bookseller?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Zosologist posted:

I got a weird 78 key mechanical keyboard just so I could play this game with the numpad while clickety-clacking.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

DebonaireD posted:

I got a weird 78 key mechanical keyboard just so I could play this game with the numpad while clickety-clacking.

TBH I had never even thought to play this game with clackityclackity and now I want to real bad

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

You get your clickety clickety, you put on your spaceman helmet, get that microphone filter that feeds the sound of your own breathing back into the game audio, and baby, you've got some qud going.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No numpad here due to laptop. Its def playable but I miss having one :(

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm going to tack an extra 500 onto this because I specifically asked you to come back less hostile and, as best as I can tell, you got off probation with the angriest post ready to go. Not more because looking at this thread reports got me into giving Qud another try. I installed the tutorial mod from the workshop and was quickly pasted in a Fist of the North Star-esque manner by 8 simultaneous attacks from a sleeping boulder monster.

that was a slumberling. And they will gently caress you up for a good long while. Steer well clear

also never thought I'd see a meltdown in this thread of all threads :holymoley:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Best meltdown I’ve seen since that one in the Walking Dead thread

VVV lmao

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 22, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Unfinish3d posted:

never thought I'd see a meltdown in this thread of all threads

Maybe if unormal didn't nerf precog we could have seen this coming

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the 1500 words is just gonna be "game sucks" repeated

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I stopped playing for a while after they nerfed short blades, but you don't see me meltin' down about.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ohnoproblems/status/1285818414754230274?s=19

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

good Gord drat

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Begemot posted:

I stopped playing for a while after they nerfed short blades, but you don't see me meltin' down about.

the real strong thing about short blades (strength is an infinite dump stat and you get tons of dv) is still strong it's just less accessible to new/less tryhard players because you need to know how to handle yourself til you get a vibroblade (and i guess this playstyle is really more about being a defensive stance longblade user who picks up the vibrokhopesh than about shortblades now)

e: and by 'still really strong' i mean as of a year + ago when i still played this game a lot and tried to make strong characters. now im a wisened sage who will make a 27 starting willpower greybeard once every 6 months

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 22, 2020

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

New Mental Defect idea: Belligerent. You have a small chance when talking to someone to go on an explosive tirade, decreasing your faction rep with whoever you’re talking to, and maybe any faction that loves them.

Edit: love the new music BTW, I'm excited to check out the new content but I'm very, very bad at this game so it'll probably be a while.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 22, 2020

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Xik posted:

god drat :master:

So I've been loving around with various classes and I still feel like True Kin just don't measure up to the sheer power of mutations, partly because cyberbux are fairly scarce early on, and across several Kin mans I had more implants than I could install (and not by a little, by like, a lot).

Stronger injectors ain't nothing, and their start is definitely solid, but iunno, I've felt weaker on every TK I've played.

Can anyone point me to the true power of the arcologies that I'm missing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DisDisDis posted:

the real strong thing about short blades (strength is an infinite dump stat and you get tons of dv) is still strong it's just less accessible to new/less tryhard players because you need to know how to handle yourself til you get a vibroblade (and i guess this playstyle is really more about being a defensive stance longblade user who picks up the vibrokhopesh than about shortblades now)

e: and by 'still really strong' i mean as of a year + ago when i still played this game a lot and tried to make strong characters. now im a wisened sage who will make a 27 starting willpower greybeard once every 6 months

what was busted about short blades is there used to be a skill that let you substitute agility for strength in penetration rolls. it wasn't necessarily the single most broken thing in the game, but it was the easiest and most passive. you just went all-in on agility and spent the rest of the game with max penetration and only getting hit on a natural 20

vibroblades are great and all but they're a "when you've already mostly won the game you can sub these in for slightly better results against hard targets"

e: a good way to put it is that an agility-focused build still works, more or less, it's just that now you actually have to pay your dues for it :v:

victrix posted:

You're not missing anything. Mutants are just stronger.

(As long as you're making at least a modestly informed attempt to optimize and not picking mutations at random or something).

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 22, 2020

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

victrix posted:

True Kin really just trades the absolutely busted potential of a Mutant in favor of a much easier early game (in the sense that you can play sloppy and come out alive, obviously Freezing Hands+Teleport trivializes everything if you have the patience). Also you can put skillpoints in QOL stuff earlier because of the extra attributes and skill points, and personally getting lost over and over and over again drives me completely loving insane, so being able to afford Mind's Compass without feeling like I'm missing out on something important is a big deal. I like TK but they're basically on par with medium-effort Mutant builds.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 22, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dachshundofdoom posted:

True Kin really just trades the absolutely busted potential of a Mutant in favor of a much easier early game (in the sense that you can play sloppy and come out alive, obviously Freezing Hands+Teleport trivializes everything if you have the patience). Also you can put skillpoints in QOL stuff earlier because of the extra attributes and skill points, and personally getting lost over and over and over again drives me completely loving insane, so being able to afford Mind's Compass without feeling like I'm missing out on something important is a big deal. I like TK but they're basically on par with medium-effort Mutant builds.

I always start in the village that teaches wayfaring.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

genericnick posted:

I always start in the village that teaches wayfaring.

I should do that, but the procgen villages always kinda bum me out, they don't have Joppa's soul. Also I hate having to track down which NPCs actually matter.

Oh and while I'm on the topic of True Kin, the character creation screen for True Kin is no longer telling you what cybernetics actually mechanically do, so I assume that's a personal attack on me and I'll be drafting my 2000 word rant shortly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I should do that, but the procgen villages always kinda bum me out, they don't have Joppa's soul. Also I hate having to track down which NPCs actually matter.

This is probably a Thing that should happen for the procgen villages, because yeah, this is the shittiest part about a random start. Just highlight the two main quest givers or whatever, bonus if the warden and stilt dude start near you every time.

quote:

Oh and while I'm on the topic of True Kin, the character creation screen for True Kin is no longer telling you what cybernetics actually mechanically do, so I assume that's a personal attack on me and I'll be drafting my 2000 word rant shortly.

:laugh:

Just as a general rule, I can't decide if I should bother posting giant (feedback) screeds or not, since they're so focused on pushing to 1.0 release, it feels like little niggles are either already in the queue to fix, or won't be priority to touch until later anyway.

That goes double for ~balance~ feedback, since so many totally broken things are still around after years, so I kinda get the impression that isn't really a concern at all either until post Real Release, or like, at all ever.

Maybe I'll just stick to stuff that really annoys the piss out of me (permanently paralyzed by sleep gas is a fun one).

Oh, here's a big one - I'd really like to see a ui 'quick menu' of some sort that lets me assign specific commands to a shortlist. So one button pops up the quick menu, then another press activates <whatever>

Like 'target this wall and auto attack it until broken', 'drop this bedroll', 'clean my gear with water', 'show me salves only', 'show me grenades only', 'swap these two weapons', and so on. I find there are a handful of inventory actions I take repeatedly over the course of a game that are just kind of annoying with the default inventory ui, and a few edge case commands that aren't covered by any default commands elegantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

victrix posted:

This is probably a Thing that should happen for the procgen villages, because yeah, this is the shittiest part about a random start. Just highlight the two main quest givers or whatever, bonus if the warden and stilt dude start near you every time.

Non-mayor quest giver is yellow now, so there's that.