Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

I just was beginning an attempt at watching Dark Matter but didn't realize he was in it. Gonna save me a lot of time, thanks.

Dark Matter is very good and you should watch it. He plays a smug irredeemable bastard and shows up in like, four episodes.

David Hewlett is also in a few episodes and that should be enough to sell you on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

Ad Astra had a Space Monkey. so better.

Replacement for Alex found.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Interstellar came out about the same time as The Talos Principle, and it was kinda cool how they took the question of "is it worth saving humanity if none of the current humans get saved" and ran in completely different directions.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Ad Astra had Greg Bryk playing a guy who lived on Mars so....you know, we got to see his range.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I love this show and I enjoyed the first book (which I read before the show.)

Would I still enjoy the books even though I largely know what happens? I know things deviate somewhat from the books, but it seems like the major plot points are already there so a lot has been spoiled for me.

But, uh...I need something to read.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

FairGame posted:

Would I still enjoy the books even though I largely know what happens? I know things deviate somewhat from the books, but it seems like the major plot points are already there so a lot has been spoiled for me.

I read up to Book 6 recently after having watched the show. To be honest, I prefer the show better as the writing is very monotonous and repetitive (get ready for lots of descriptions of bulkheads and mechanics fixing stuff). I still enjoyed them and if you like reading you probably will too but there is nothing new in them. It's not like they were stripped down in any way for the tv adaptation Id actually say the adaptation added better material (i.e. Drummer / Ashford).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

banned from Starbucks posted:

I was gonna watch Ad Astra then i saw a trailer where they had space pirates on the moon...in like...the fuckin rover buggies..and i decided to do something more productive with my time.

It was incredibly stupid. They have to travel through a dangerous part of the moon that has pirates. Ignoring the fact that it's the loving moon and they could probably just have some craft that could hop over to another part of the moon, they go out in apollo era moon buggies instead of armored vehicles. The movie was "what's the dumbest thing we could possibly have happen in this scene.mp4"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the funny thing about ad Astra is how the director was insistent that it was the most scientifically accurate space movie ever or some poo poo and then you watch it and it's clear whoever wrote it didn't have a loving clue about anything to do with space or compelling characters

Like where were those pirates launching from? Is there some space pirates supporting nation on Earth? how were they able to scan the entire universe for intelligent life using antimatter? Wtf? What was the movie even trying to say about anything except that life under capitalism is dehumanizing and doing anything at all is pointless?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

Just read them, there's more to enjoying things than not being "spoiled" on them.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 20, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Apparently research has shown that being spoiled on something doesn't actually reduce your enjoyment

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

People who cry about spoilers are actually the biggest babies.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Captain Splendid posted:

Apparently research has shown that being spoiled on something doesn't actually reduce your enjoyment

I was just about to sit down and read an article in Psychological Science about whether or not story spoilers spoil stories when I read this post. thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There was a pretty great Lets Read thread in the book barn covering the differences between the show and books but it only got to midway through book 2 before he stopped.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Captain Splendid posted:

That research is missing a lot of important data like what are the expectations. Is the person following the story or wants to know the finale? What was the spoiler? Factual or storyline, important or not, noticeable or easter egg etc etc

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Captain Splendid posted:

Ad Astra had Greg Bryk playing a guy who lived on Mars so....you know, we got to see his range.

I recently watched Frontier, Greg Bryk is exceptionally creepy in it, very enjoyable.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Best thing about Ad Astra is also the best thing about Interstellar.

Max Richter and Hans Zimmer.

Germans just be good at elevating milquetoast writing in space settings.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That research is missing a lot of important data like what are the expectations. Is the person following the story or wants to know the finale? What was the spoiler? Factual or storyline, important or not, noticeable or easter egg etc etc

Yeah seems like a lot of grey area there. I can't imagine sitting down to watch The Sixth Sense and having someone say Bruce Willis' character is dead the whole time and being cool with that. Seeing the twist at the end was a big part of the enjoyment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Dark Matter is very good and you should watch it. He plays a smug irredeemable bastard and shows up in like, four episodes.

David Hewlett is also in a few episodes and that should be enough to sell you on the show.

It probably helps that even as a adult Wil Wheaton has a incredibility punchable face.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MA-Horus posted:

I recently watched Frontier, Greg Bryk is exceptionally creepy in it, very enjoyable.

I dunno, I think 50% of it is just his naturally unusual face

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yeah seems like a lot of grey area there. I can't imagine sitting down to watch The Sixth Sense and having someone say Bruce Willis' character is dead the whole time and being cool with that. Seeing the twist at the end was a big part of the enjoyment.

Funny you mentioned exactly this case because I knew the twist (memes and trivia) but enjoyed watching the events unfolding and how it all happened. So indeed it shows that different spoilers have different effects on different approaches to enjoying indeed.

etalian posted:

It probably helps that even as a adult Wil Wheaton has a incredibility punchable face.

He's an okay guy

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Funny you mentioned exactly this case because I knew the twist (memes and trivia) but enjoyed watching the events unfolding and how it all happened. So indeed it shows that different spoilers have different effects on different approaches to enjoying indeed.
It may be enjoyable watching it unfold and therefore not "ruined" by spoilers, but you still don't get the sudden jarring shift in perspective that recontextualizes what you just saw. There is moment of awe that comes with sudden rush of understanding, and most people found that movie memorable for that amazing feeling. The movie isn't worthless without it necessarily, but telling someone the twist means that they can't experience that particular thrill anymore.

Personally, I greatly enjoy experiencing changes in perspective or understanding. Thinking one thing, and then discovering that another thing is true in fiction is one of the best things. Learning new things can be thrilling.

You might not get anything out of something like that, and you personally may even get more out of a work if you know where it's going. That's cool. But it would be considerate to understand that other people may be interested in experiencing media in a different way from you.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 20, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

if you want a good space thriller just watch Gravity in an IMAX theater. That was a loving experience.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Ad Astra

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

To be honest I'd join Cerberus. Humans first!

I mean going by both the novels and games Cerberus is portrayed as enormously incompetent. By the end they're actively working against humanity under the yoke of aliens. Humanity First, the public face of Cerberus, was always considered to be expendible idiots. Cerberus itself had no issues working with aliens.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I liked Ad Astra

mods?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If we're just talking about other sci fi movies then I want to put in a big hearty gently caress you to Cloud Atlas, which I saw this weekend. After two hours in, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year. After it finished, a little more than four hours in since I'd rewound a few times to figure out what Caveman Tom Hanks was saying, I was violently aggravated I'd wasted so much of my life on this dreck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They need to go ahead and drop the next season...

Phenotype posted:

If we're just talking about other sci fi movies then I want to put in a big hearty gently caress you to Cloud Atlas, which I saw this weekend. After two hours in, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year. After it finished, a little more than four hours in since I'd rewound a few times to figure out what Caveman Tom Hanks was saying, I was violently aggravated I'd wasted so much of my life on this dreck.

:laugh:

It's a perfectly okay movie. :shrug:

Phi230 posted:

I liked Ad Astra

source ur quotes

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Elon Musk should give Greg Bryk a free ride home.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Phenotype posted:

the book is so so good though and a prime example of something that is impossible to adapt.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TommyGun85 posted:

the book is so so good though and a prime example of something that is impossible to adapt.

Is it? Because the adaptation seemed amazingly well done, it was just the story that was garbage. I was incredibly aggravated that there's no loving payoff -- you spend the whole movie going "oh, that's just like in the other storyline!" and "what do those birthmarks mean?" and "he named his song the name of the movie!" and it turns out no, there's no answers, the stories never meet, you're just supposed to shrug at all the similarities between these people's reincarnated lives. Four loving hours waiting for Tom Hanks to remember his past lives and it never loving happens.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

imagine reading/watching Cloud Atlas for the "plot"

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
there are other reasons to watch it than "hugo weaving wears asiaface"??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

imagine reading/watching Cloud Atlas for the "plot"

this man speaks the true true

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Is it? Because the adaptation seemed amazingly well done, it was just the story that was garbage. I was incredibly aggravated that there's no loving payoff -- you spend the whole movie going "oh, that's just like in the other storyline!" and "what do those birthmarks mean?" and "he named his song the name of the movie!" and it turns out no, there's no answers, the stories never meet, you're just supposed to shrug at all the similarities between these people's reincarnated lives. Four loving hours waiting for Tom Hanks to remember his past lives and it never loving happens.

yeah the movie completely misses the boat on what the book is trying to say. The book is also written in a brilliant russian nesting doll way that connects all of the stories and loops back on itself. The movie is trash.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You should read 'The Years of Rice and Salt' by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's like an alternate history shortly into the book the bubonic plague wipes out 99% of Europe allowing unfettered growth of the Middle East and Chine Cloud Atlas with an occasional interstitial to connect the short stories together.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TommyGun85 posted:

yeah the movie completely misses the boat on what the book is trying to say. The book is also written in a brilliant russian nesting doll way that connects all of the stories and loops back on itself. The movie is trash.

I think the movie does a fine job of capturing the book's central themes: the interconnectedness of our lives and stories and the need to recognize that and embrace empathy. I find the book's structure more gimmick than brilliance. Nested narratives are nothing new in fiction, and the book's structure of pausing a story right in the middle to shift to the next nested narrative is a ham-fisted way to foreground that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phi230 posted:

I liked Ad Astra

I wanted to like this pretty bad, but ugh. UGH.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the better tommy lee jones space movie is Space Cowboys

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tighclops posted:

the better tommy lee jones space movie is Space Cowboys

the ending of that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never read the book but cloud Atlas is really good imo. regardless of what you think of the movie's content, it's undoubtedly an achievement of editing. six different sets of characters, settings and conflicts and I never felt like I was confused about what was happening and who was who.