Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If it drums up interest for a Republic/Imperial Commando game ill take it.

Sev is never coming home is he? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For those annoyed by Bad Batch, here's an Aphra audio excerpt for you:

https://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-an-audiobook-original-exclusive-excerpt

Ultimately I'm fairly certain the audio book is "Aphra cartoon" that was in the works. Whomever it was that leaked it out just misinterpreted the casting calls that went out or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guessing the Bad Batch episodes were super popular. Anyway I find the new show cool sounding.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

My only real concern is that it's the same writer from Resistance, which was very, very not good.

You gotta look at the actual workload before saying stuff like this. The 3 episodes the head writer for Bad Batch wrote for resistance were among the best on the show (the combat mission with the trainees on dantooine, the beach planet, and the episode with Doza's wife and her badass droid/x-wing). There are going to be other writer's too and one of them is Matt Michnovetz who wrote 2 of the good Rebels episodes and for 2 seasons on the Clone Wars. He also wrote the un-made Boba Fett vs Cad Bane arc.

I have pretty big faith in the Lucasfilm crew to do any star wars show with their mixture of talent. Some times they don't quite get it (I liked Resistance for the art style but understand why most did not), but I'd say the majority of their output is good.

Here are some spoilery I guess notes from one of those star wars speculation/leak shows:

TLDR:

Though the website says Dave Filoni was tapped by Disney Plus today, this was prolly in development for a while, and now they're gonna go into production, start recording, etc.

Bad Batch will comes in 2021, maybe Spring, before Rebels sequel.

The Rebels sequel series (which they think will be announced after the Ahsoka Mandalorian episode) was prolly already in the works, they got some stuff done already, but The Clone Wars Season 7 was really successful so they wanna capitalize in that.

They speculated Bad Batch & Trace/Rafa were both put in there to test the waters, see which one would work in a spin-off series.

Ahsoka is in the show. Wears same outfit at the end of Season 7.

Rex is also in the show. He is actively looking for other clones.

Ahsoka & Rex are in the show in a limited capacity. What Rex is doing is major, but they have a smaller role. This could mean that they only become regulars at the end of the first season, or that they're only in a handful of episodes.

Echo is in the show, part of the Bad Batch.

Wolffe is in the show too. Maybe by the end of Season 1. Also, Wolf Pack could appear?

Show is very clone heavy, more than just Bad Batch. We look at what clones went through after the rise of the Empire, dealing with the Order 66 trauma. Dark Times stuff.

The Bad Batch takes on mercenary gigs, trying to make their way in a big galaxy. They do not start out as Imperials.

They heard Cody's name thrown around here and there, he's prolly gonna be in it.

They heard Quinlan Vos' name thrown around too, they think that he could be in it (this is purely their opinion).

They heard nothing about new characters.

Crew includes Filoni (which Corey & Noah weren't sure of his involvment), crew from Rebels, Resistance (who also worked on Siege of Mandalore).

They brought back CGCG Inc, so likely, the animation style will be like The Clone Wars, Season 7.

They're unsure about how long this will run. Corey & Noah originally thought it was gonna be a limited series, but it doesn't look like that's how Disney's marketing it.

Corey thinks that Dark Disciple might get made at some point, separately. Disney sees the demand for it is there, so, who know

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

For those annoyed by Bad Batch, here's an Aphra audio excerpt for you:

https://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-an-audiobook-original-exclusive-excerpt

Ultimately I'm fairly certain the audio book is "Aphra cartoon" that was in the works. Whomever it was that leaked it out just misinterpreted the casting calls that went out or something.

Yep, that's Aphra. I'm digging how they're immediately playing up the unreliable-narrator aspect by making Maz so overtly villainous.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Re: Bad Batch, I don’t mind the characters or the episodes, but I can think of 20 other series I’d rather see made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Bad Batch would have been less contentious if season 7 had been longer and it wasn't seen as taking up "valuable" episode space.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People complaining that a show called Clone Wars had episodes during its final season focused on Clones...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

People complaining that a show called Clone Wars had episodes during its final season focused on Clones...

Bad Batch didn’t suck because they were clones or taking up episodes that could have been about Ahsoka or whatever. Bad Batch loving sucked because they’re a bunch of uninteresting action hero archetypes that are portrayed as being ~*Extra Special Badass*~ even though they don’t really do anything we haven’t seen other clones do before.

I guess if you’re looking for a Star Wars version of the 80s GI Joe cartoon, then sure, this is probably great news. I just personally don’t care because the characters are dull and that III-IV time period is pretty tapped out.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

that III-IV time period is pretty tapped out.

Is it, though? Because all anyone seems to really care about is the immediate run-up to IV. I'd like to see a more in-depth treatment of how the Republic morphed into the Empire.

Though I have to agree, the Bad Batch did nothing for me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Dee Bradley Baker is going to be very busy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I commend him fir being very talented, he's never going to replace Tem Morrison in my eyes.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I don’t mind bad batch only because the sister arc was so lame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well, there's other stuff I would have rather gotten but the bad batch eps were decent so I guess it could be worse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could have had another Sunny Day in the Void situation. Or loving Corkie and his Scooby-Doo investigation into poisoned tea smuggling on Mandalore what the gently caress was going on in Season 3 that made them think that was a good followup to the great season 2 Mando episodes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

While I commend him fir being very talented, he's never going to replace Tem Morrison in my eyes.

I wish one in one hundred background clones was voiced by Morrison, just to throw people off from time to time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Dee Baker and I’ll always associate him first with named clones like Rex, but he really sounds nothing like Temuera Morrison and I’ve always wondered why they didn’t cast a better soundalike. Nothing against Dee, he’s great, but he’s always been a weird choice aside from his willingness to voice a thousand characters on a single show.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The same folks who leaked The Bad Batch are now saying Donald Glover is returning as Lando for a "Calrissian Chronicles" D+ show

https://twitter.com/OutlawNoah/status/1285937650965155841?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

The same folks who leaked The Bad Batch are now saying Donald Glover is returning as Lando for a "Calrissian Chronicles" D+ show

https://twitter.com/OutlawNoah/status/1285937650965155841?s=20

Well gently caress, that has the potential to be great. He was like this bright ray of sunshine every time he showed up on screen in Solo. Like he was from some other, better movie. I even like Solo alright, for what it was. But Glover was on another level.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bring back Billy Dee for some framing devices and I'm 100%.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Will he finally gently caress the droid

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm glad Disney finally realized TV is the way to go.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Very down for more Donald Glover Lando. I was hoping to get another Solo movie just for more Glover, but I’ll take this.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Teek posted:

Bring back Billy Dee for some framing devices and I'm 100%.

Yes, just do it like the Young Indiana Jones show. I'd watch the hell out of that. Not that I'm not going to watch the hell out of anything Star Wars.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If this is a rumor, then it is a good rumor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If we can't get these...

https://twitter.com/Stultsified/status/1244366084809068546?s=20

I'll more than settle for a Gambino led TV show on D+

Also I would not be mad if it's a prequel series and it brings back L3.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Chances of the Battle of Tanaab making it onscreen increasing...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Who's ready for another Star Wars Holiday Special?!

https://t.co/1RbZoHlUec

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Unironically, me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

poo poo, I got suddenly excited for the prospect of a coked-out Oscar issaac having to be physically supported on stage by John Boyega, but that's not what they're proposing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If it doesn't have Lego Pablo Hidalgo walking by with his coffee and saying "This is all canon." then what's the point?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

jivjov posted:

In other news, the world's supply of cocaine is about to bottom out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh poo poo November 17th i am making a bog batch of star wars cocktails and watching the poo poo outta it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe they'll CGI in coked out leia

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It's lego so likely they will

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm all for this even if it won't be nearly as wild as the original. Probably will double feature the two holiday specials that day

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jivjov posted:

quote:

But the heart and soul of the special is Rey’s relationship with Luke – not the old Jedi master she knew, but instead the rookie Rebel version from George Lucas’ original 1977 “Star Wars” movie.

“It becomes a much different take on a teacher and apprentice with the more seasoned Rey and a younger Luke,” Rimes adds.

Someone on my twitter timeline pointed out how Rey probably wouldn't be able to stand OT Luke; she'd think he's a whiny, sheltered, entitled brat and I love that take, lmao.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Small problem -- TRoS decided that Luke is a god and Rey just a worshipper, so that part of the special is probably just gonna be more awed hero worship of Luke

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Neat detail I noticed on re-watching the final arc. When Maul asks where Obi-wan is and Ahsoka says he had a more pressing engage.

Maul replies, "Indeed? I... wonder." he pauses and has a far off look. Clearly sensing something. He murmurs to him, "The moment may be upon us."

I think at this moment he senses Count Dooku's death. As the next scene has Obi-wan inform Ahsoka Dooku was killed by Anakin during their rescue of Palpatine.

Real cool how they've weaved moments of RoTS into the final episodes in ways both minor and major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But what of the droid attack on the wookiees?