Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

is there a way to stop my x570-based system from disconnecting from my DS920+ when the computer goes into sleep mode?

waking the thing up to a dozen "we lost connection to the network drive!" notifications gets old

Never let the machine go to sleep. It sucks, and I deal with it daily. A dozen networked drives that all disconnect. A networked scanner that will wake the PC, but won't scan because the drive is "disconnected".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm going to wind up building conduit into the house I build in the coming years but perhaps it'll all be a nuclear wasteland in the upcoming corporate-race war anyway and I shouldn't bother.
There's several cheaper switches with SFP+ and 10gb capabilities. The real WTF for me is the one Ubiquiti switch I saw that had SFP+ interfaces... that supported 1 gbps max.

it never even occurred to me that a Ubiquiti product with SFPs wouldn't be 10gb. Until I had it racked. It seems the product folks over there can't make one goddamn thing without at least one glaring, idiotic issue.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Ubiquiti's product strategy and tactics seems pretty obvious to me and it's not a surprise that they're doing things like Intel such as crippling industry standard equipment, making up proprietary stuff that's cheaping out (their "passive PoE" bricks are long obsolete when Ubiquiti released them), but it still beats trying to cobble together Ebayed gear that won't be supported in software like from HP and soon Dell. I'll still take their stuff because most of the old enterprise gear now is getting bricked through now industry-standard software non-support obsolescence that Ubiquiti isn't really doing. But good cost efficiency with Ubiquiti equipment in my experience only happens at the really low end like the Edgerouter X or their fairly beefy equipment into the thousands on a project. Meraki isn't exactly going to win vendor of the year awards these days, after all, and they've done terrible things in both software and hardware for a lot worse pricing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Received my Elements from Amazon today and just shucked em. Loaded one up in my Unraid, and of course it can't see the drive. Anything special I need to do with the drive after shucking it? I thought I remembered seeing you have to tape over a power connector pin or something?

Of course, the loving things came like this with no padding, so who knows:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Received my Elements from Amazon today and just shucked em. Loaded one up in my Unraid, and of course it can't see the drive. Anything special I need to do with the drive after shucking it? I thought I remembered seeing you have to tape over a power connector pin or something?

I also ordered two Elements from Amazon (12TB) and they arrived yesterday. One of them was definitely DOA (tried it the USB case, shucked, shucked with 3.3V pin taped, USB adapter to PC, etc), the other worked fine, so I'm processing an RMA and unshucking it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

They do have a DOA rate: try plugging it back into the USB adapter board from the case and seeing if it'll get recognized that way. If it does, but doesn't work outside the case, it's probably the 3.3v disable pin: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just picked up 4 HGST HE10 8TB drives on eBay.
Wish me luck. The auction says they're "Brand New" but I know better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

They do have a DOA rate: try plugging it back into the USB adapter board from the case and seeing if it'll get recognized that way. If it does, but doesn't work outside the case, it's probably the 3.3v disable pin: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

Ha, yeah, just saw this
https://youtu.be/1YqMn1pCRd8

Will definitely try this later tonight. Good to know pins 1 & 2 aren’t needed either so I can slap a fatty piece of tape over 1-3.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

necrobobsledder posted:

The original question was asking around $2k which is way higher than the $300-$400-ish UniFi SFP+ devices I saw. Their UniFi switches with just SFP in them still run $150+ anyway so it makes no sense they'd drop down to ~$200 for SFP+ unless they did a huge crunch and upgraded everything to SFP+. Ubiquiti is in the process of a wi-fi generation upgrade it seems (they're starting to send out beta product releases for 802.11ax now across several SKUs). The 16 XG is pretty overkill with 12 SFP+ ports and 4 10G RJ45 ports but is probably what I'd go for with serious intent of a 10+ year prosumer home network timeline.

I really don't understand why Ubiquiti isn't making a play for multi-gig or 10gig PoE switches in their Unifi line. Their entire AP line is (theoretically) bottlenecked by the wired connection now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
How big are y'alls FreeNAS installations? Theoretically how big could it get? Anyone running VMs in FreeNAS?
I'm debating between a 120GB, 180GB, and 240GB SSD for my new NAS and just wondering if I'll ever need the extra space or if I'll just be wasting it.

For reference I'm considering 3 very lightly used SSD's: Intel 530, Intel 1500 Pro, and Samsung 850 EVO

e: nvm I'm gonna use the Pro 1500 I'll migrate later if I need to.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2020

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I'm looking to buy the TS-453Bmini mostly for one reason: serve my media to Kodi on my Samsung smart TV. My old setup was having a shared drive on my PC with all my media, and the TV with Kodi would access it via WiFi. I would like to keep this kind of setup, so the NAS would not have its own Kodi app running on it, it would just serve the TV via SMB or whatever.

Before I spend a lot of money on the NAS and the drives: is there any obvious issue here that I'm missing? This is my first foray into NAS.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I always badblocks them first, and then use a non-molded molex-to-sata or sata-to-sata splitter to connect them

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How big are y'alls FreeNAS installations? Theoretically how big could it get? Anyone running VMs in FreeNAS?
I'm debating between a 120GB, 180GB, and 240GB SSD for my new NAS and just wondering if I'll ever need the extra space or if I'll just be wasting it.

For reference I'm considering 3 very lightly used SSD's: Intel 530, Intel 1500 Pro, and Samsung 850 EVO

ZFS maxes out at 2^48 files per directory, 2^64 datasets (filesystems/volumes), 2^64 bytes per file, and 2^128 bytes per zpool which can have 2^64 devices in a whatever vdev configuration you want.
What I'm saying is, I think anyone will be good.

I use bhyve for virtualization (what FreeNAS also uses, underneath everything), so if you have specific questions, perhaps I can answer them.

I use plain FreeBSD, of course, but at the moment my pool is only some 8TiB because I'm in the process of replacing 15 drives with 8TB drives, before I start filling up the next SAS enclosure. With one SAS enclosure, I'll have about 75iB and with two I'll have about 150TiB.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Once I slapped electrical tape over pins 1-3, the Elements drive booted just fine. Cool.

Doing a parity copy and it's at 25% after running all night. Haha, gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

ZFS maxes out at 2^48 files per directory, 2^64 datasets (filesystems/volumes), 2^64 bytes per file, and 2^128 bytes per zpool which can have 2^64 devices in a whatever vdev configuration you want.
What I'm saying is, I think anyone will be good.

I use bhyve for virtualization (what FreeNAS also uses, underneath everything), so if you have specific questions, perhaps I can answer them.

I use plain FreeBSD, of course, but at the moment my pool is only some 8TiB because I'm in the process of replacing 15 drives with 8TB drives, before I start filling up the next SAS enclosure. With one SAS enclosure, I'll have about 75iB and with two I'll have about 150TiB.

HAHA good LORD that is a lot of space. Is this a personal NAS? My coworker thought I was batshit nuts for ordering 4 8TB drives and complaining that I'll probably need to double that soon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ha, yeah, just saw this
https://youtu.be/1YqMn1pCRd8

Will definitely try this later tonight. Good to know pins 1 & 2 aren’t needed either so I can slap a fatty piece of tape over 1-3.

I forget what you're coming from and to, but note linux out of the box artificially limits the md resync speed to try and balance performance vs rebuild time. I find it's very dated in the speeds it uses and it's almost pointless for a home user. See if unraid has tweaked that for you.

# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_min
# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_max

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

its actually 2x RAIDz1s but who is counting

[paging commiegir]

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm past the point of frustration with my Unraid server backup, and I don't even know if there's a better way to be doing this.

I'm doing the "Duplicati backing up to a business Google Drive account" setup. I have been for two months in fact, and it's just about halfway done with the initial upload. Part of this is our internet is slow, which sucks, but can't really be fixed. But the other part is that it errors out constantly. I have to check every day to see if it stopped due to a name resolution error or a 403 error or its favorite, duplicate files at the destination, which I have to fix myself: go into Drive, search for the file name, and move one of the two copies out of the backup folder (or sometimes there are more than two copies somehow!).

Is this pretty much what everybody else uses for cloud backup, and is the answer "yup, that's how it works, just gotta deal with it?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The fine little J4105-ITX board I'm using in my NAS build has 2 Intel SATA ports and 2 ASMedia ports on the PCIe bus, so ASRock can say "4 onboard SATA ports!".

I already knew that the board only supports booting from the Intel ports, and that's fine. But I don't know if there's an issue with my board or just a general thing, because those ASMedia ports are acting weird. No matter which drive I plug into SATA3_A1 and A2, it either doesn't recognize the disk at all or starts out fine and then after a while my system log fills up with softreset failures and eventually gives up and stops trying to communicate with the disk. As you can imagine, Btrfs tends to freak out a little when this happens.

I've tried different cables and having different disks on that port, it still happens after a while. What's really bugging me is that if I put the disks on a PCIe SATA card I have, they work flawlessly, and that card is using the exact same ASM1061 controller as the ones on the motherboard?

Are ASMedia SATA controllers just finicky by nature?

For now it's working fine with the mobo ASMedia ports disabled, but I'm wondering if it's worth an RMA. I have a Marvell-based 4-port SATA controller ordered since a couple of days ago anyway, so I really don't need the extra onboard ports.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 22, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I forget what you're coming from and to, but note linux out of the box artificially limits the md resync speed to try and balance performance vs rebuild time. I find it's very dated in the speeds it uses and it's almost pointless for a home user. See if unraid has tweaked that for you.

# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_min
# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_max

That went right over my head. Are these env variables or something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That went right over my head. Are these env variables or something?

Commands run on the CLI. It's OK to ignore it, but maybe google "unraid sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_max" if you're curious. Synology exposes this in the GUI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

disaster pastor posted:

I'm past the point of frustration with my Unraid server backup, and I don't even know if there's a better way to be doing this.

I'm doing the "Duplicati backing up to a business Google Drive account" setup. I have been for two months in fact, and it's just about halfway done with the initial upload. Part of this is our internet is slow, which sucks, but can't really be fixed. But the other part is that it errors out constantly. I have to check every day to see if it stopped due to a name resolution error or a 403 error or its favorite, duplicate files at the destination, which I have to fix myself: go into Drive, search for the file name, and move one of the two copies out of the backup folder (or sometimes there are more than two copies somehow!).

Is this pretty much what everybody else uses for cloud backup, and is the answer "yup, that's how it works, just gotta deal with it?"

I mean I've used like a half dozen cloud backup tools all with the same result.
It took WEEKS for me to get a clean Barracuda backup of our SAN because file permissions were all hosed, and I couldn't just take ownership and blow everything away because users would have a poo poo fit.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

disaster pastor posted:

I wonder if this is because it's a use case Google Drive wasn't really designed for?

I've been using restic to backup to backblaze b2 and it's been running for weeks on the initial upload with no errors

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

disaster pastor posted:

It's not a super popular opinion around here I don't think, but I'm still using Crashplan with my Unraid server.

Downsides:
- It's not going to help your speed issues any (understatement)
- Their app is a poo poo show and accounts for about 1/4 - 1/3 the memory usage on my Unraid server, just be aware of that if you have a significant amount/size of files you are backing up.
- When there is a compatibility breaking update for the Linux app, there can be a lag for the container to update. Twice in ~2 years I've got the email from Crashplan that backups aren't happening and this was the cause.

Upsides:
- Aside from that container update lag, I've not had any notable issues with stability of the backups using the docker in the apps store. No real babysitting required.
- I haven't seen anything remotely cost competitive and usable once you get into the double digit TB of backups (sitting at ~18TB local marked for backup, ~19TB actually stored in my backups currently including deleted/changed data).

I wish there was a better option and if there is I'd love to hear it, I'm just not willing to move from $10/month to 7-10 times that amount with something like B2...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

I've been wrestling with this issue lately as well; a simple, nightly ~48GB incremental Duplicati backup occasionally pops a 403 error and gives up backing-up to Google Drive. I don't have much to add other than a 'me too', sorry: I suspect it's something to do with Duplicati panicking at some hiccup in the process, as the automated 1am backup sometimes fails, burping up a '403: Forbidden' error, but triggering the same process manually always goes off without a hitch. I'm half considering wiping the whole thing out and starting fresh, just in case that blows away any cobwebs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

I have given up on Duplicati for now, for this reason. It is the main reason I am holding onto my Synology 1515+ as the primary backup box. HyperBackup works better in my experience.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
rclone is great

quote:

rclone -vP --fast-list --no-update-modtime --size-only --bwlimit 8.7M --exclude ".DS_Store" --drive-chunk-size 128M copy /mnt/ teamdrivesareunlimited:full-backup-2020

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm glad (I guess?) it's not just me, but also, it sucks that this is just how it goes.

pzy posted:

rclone is great

I've heard good things about rclone, but I'm too much of a newbie to figure it out myself and the videos I saw for "rclone to Gdrive" were years out of date.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHA good LORD that is a lot of space. Is this a personal NAS? My coworker thought I was batshit nuts for ordering 4 8TB drives and complaining that I'll probably need to double that soon.
Look, the problem clearly is that I'm running out of diskspace because I keep filling up my pool, so the only solution is more diskspace!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

I'm glad (I guess?) it's not just me, but also, it sucks that this is just how it goes.

I've heard good things about rclone, but I'm too much of a newbie to figure it out myself and the videos I saw for "rclone to Gdrive" were years out of date.

Figure out how to make gdrive a mount point. Then it's just like any other folder to you, just the read write latency sucks.

"Google drive fuse mount Linux" I bet gives you what you need.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
not directly related to the preceding but: can you use a MacOS client/vm on one of those unlimited backup services, and then symlink a smb/nfs share into the directory tree? I guess NTFS has symlinks as well, can you do it on windows?

Or are they onto that and don't follow symlinks?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

not directly related to the preceding but: can you use a MacOS client/vm on one of those unlimited backup services, and then symlink a smb/nfs share into the directory tree? I guess NTFS has symlinks as well, can you do it on windows?

I can't speak to MacOS, but Backblaze's Windows client absolutely is on to that sort of thing and won't follow links across a network. There are some ways around it, but it's janky and involves some wrappers which I've found to only be 95% stable. Still, that's what I'm doing because it beats the pants off paying for actual per-GB storage.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Fancy_Lad posted:

It's not a super popular opinion around here I don't think, but I'm still using Crashplan with my Unraid server.

Downsides:
- It's not going to help your speed issues any (understatement)
- Their app is a poo poo show and accounts for about 1/4 - 1/3 the memory usage on my Unraid server, just be aware of that if you have a significant amount/size of files you are backing up.
- When there is a compatibility breaking update for the Linux app, there can be a lag for the container to update. Twice in ~2 years I've got the email from Crashplan that backups aren't happening and this was the cause.

Upsides:
- Aside from that container update lag, I've not had any notable issues with stability of the backups using the docker in the apps store. No real babysitting required.
- I haven't seen anything remotely cost competitive and usable once you get into the double digit TB of backups (sitting at ~18TB local marked for backup, ~19TB actually stored in my backups currently including deleted/changed data).

I wish there was a better option and if there is I'd love to hear it, I'm just not willing to move from $10/month to 7-10 times that amount with something like B2...

agreed, and I hate it for the same reasons

have crashplan myself, have had it for several months, 70% progress on backup upload

but it's something for offsite cloud storage, and while I'd love to just get a second boxen and put it somewhere at a friend's house or whatever, my upload connection is anemic anyway

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Paul MaudDib posted:

hmmmmm. I have an xserve I can throw in a rack if someone wants to test this. If someone has an account or can give me creds I'll try it when I get back into town probably a week from now? Someone else feel free if you've got more access to hardware than I do.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

I have given up on Duplicati for now, for this reason. It is the main reason I am holding onto my Synology 1515+ as the primary backup box. HyperBackup works better in my experience.

Pretty much this but I went with the CLI duplicacy instead. It takes awhile to figure out what’s changed but the upload is super robust and handles gdrive well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
8tb easystores on sale for 120 again at best buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

not that its news anymore but hey

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Woot has a QNAP TS-332X-2G for $300
20 hours left as of this post.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/qnap-ts-332x-nas

What a weird loving thing. 3 bay for raid 5 with 10GbE.
But hey if you're into that sort of thing I ain't judging.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What a weird loving thing. 3 bay for raid 5 with 10GbE.
But hey if you're into that sort of thing I ain't judging.

I wish more of the QNAP/Synologies had SFP+ ports like that. I do wonder how well the Alpine CPU can keep up with 10Gb RAID5 writes, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All RAID5-like implementations I know of uses binary XOR which is quite literally a single instruction.
Since the CPU is a Cortex-A57, it's using the ARMv8 ISA which does XOR using the NEON SIMD, it's probably fast enough.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
No one has mentioned TrueNAS in the last like 10 pages. And it's just started hitting my news feeds with regards to it being the future of FreeNAS. But no thoughts here?