Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
On twitter they are trying to figure out which characters would have voted for trump like Hank Hill or the parks and Recs libertarian:
If still alive at 82, Holden Caulfield born 1934, is statistically probably Maga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Opera Australia prompted a similar backlash after casting a non-Hispanic performer as Maria for its 2019 production of West Side Story, a work with its own lengthy tradition of white performers playing Puerto Rican characters.

there are white Puerto Ricans. Latin American nationality is not a race

besides that though, goddamn, I didn't realize how much opera loves blackface

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

On twitter they are trying to figure out which characters would have voted for trump like Hank Hill or the parks and Recs libertarian:
If still alive at 82, Holden Caulfield born 1934, is statistically probably Maga.

Hank would reluctantly vote Trump but not have a yard sign or hat or have much interest in discussing it. Dale would be full-on Qanon. Ron Swanson would vote third-party.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
There’s no chronological or geographic rationale but I always figured Holden Caulfield would grow up to be Humbert Humbert.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

There’s no chronological or geographic rationale but I always figured Holden Caulfield would grow up to be Humbert Humbert.

not sure if you were thinking of this but nabokov did like JD salinger and they were of course both active around the same time:

http://www.thenabokovian.org/sites/default/files/2018-01/NABOKV-L-0021133___body.html

for some reason i remembered a rumor that nabokov WAS salinger, since salinger was so reclusive, but i think i was misremembering another rumor that thomas pynchon was salinger (or vice-versa). thomas pynchon took one of nabokov's courses at cornell

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

been trying to start watching Assault on Precinct 13 for 15 minutes but I keep replaying the first two minutes over and over for that incredible theme track

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

General Dog posted:

Hank would reluctantly vote Trump but not have a yard sign or hat or have much interest in discussing it. Dale would be full-on Qanon. Ron Swanson would vote third-party.

I think Hank would jump off the bandwagon. Question is when :thunk:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

been trying to start watching Assault on Precinct 13 for 15 minutes but I keep replaying the first two minutes over and over for that incredible theme track

I've only seen assault on precinct 13 once but frankly it didn't blow me away; the little girl getting murked in the beginning is pretty tasteless and the whole thing about how it's a remake of night of the living dead but with inner city gangs instead of zombies is pretty tough to get past nowadays. the soundtrack really does rip poo poo up though

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/kKw4zf2.mp4

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

I've only seen assault on precinct 13 once but frankly it didn't blow me away; the little girl getting murked in the beginning is pretty tasteless and the whole thing about how it's a remake of night of the living dead but with inner city gangs instead of zombies is pretty tough to get past nowadays. the soundtrack really does rip poo poo up though

i think those criticisms are well taken, but it just feels good to watch, it's well put together visually and the soundtrack elevates it to another level

it's not even close to being one of the best john carpenter movies but it clicks with me

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought about this before, if it was the 2016 election:

Hank: Hillary, reluctantly, and feel depressed about it
Peggy: Trump, but tells everyone Hillary
Bill: Trump. Duh.
Dale: Trump
Boomhauer: Hillary or maybe Evan McMullin
Luanne: Gloria La Riva
Cotton: Trump
Kahn: Trump
Strickland: Trump

Trying not to project

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Hank would absolutely hate Trump on a personal level but feel like voting for him in 2016 is his civic duty. 50/50 on if the "NeverTrump" Republicans this year would convince him into voting Biden instead.

Bill would be 100% full Q-anon/Maga and believe everything someone in that group tells him. Dale would have an initial interest but get kicked out of a q-anon group for also believing in conspiracies that implicate Trump in something.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hank anguishing over voting for Trump would be a season finale/premier two-parter.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hank would hate both trump and hillary but and would say its his civic duty to keep it a secret. he would have a crisis of faith in the ballot booth and be miserable until learning dale accidentally destroyed all the ballots due to a chain of events that started with him declaring a blood feud with donald after meeting him outside an atlantic city conspiracy convention in the 90s

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zerilan posted:

Hank would absolutely hate Trump on a personal level but feel like voting for him in 2016 is his civic duty. 50/50 on if the "NeverTrump" Republicans this year would convince him into voting Biden instead.

Bill would be 100% full Q-anon/Maga and believe everything someone in that group tells him. Dale would have an initial interest but get kicked out of a q-anon group for also believing in conspiracies that implicate Trump in something.

Dale actually realizes that he and BLM are on the same side w.r.t the police and joins them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hank would vote Green

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

Rio Bravo, not Night of The Living Dead. Yeah, both are siege movies, but John Carpenter is a massive, massive Howard Hawks fan. And people have asked him and he’s just said “yeah I made it because I wanted to do my own Rio Bravo”, and played off the headlines of the mid-70s to modernize it. if cowboy movies hadn’t been dead when he got into filmmaking he’d probably have spent his career doing that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Id watch The Thing with cowboys

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

70s movies about society collapsing because of amorphous 'crime' are ftw

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

70s movies about society collapsing because of amorphous 'crime' are ftw

The cities were just crawling with diverse, fully integrated gangs of street toughs.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

boomers to this day are terrified of walkign down a dark alley and encountering jeff goldblum wearing a string vest

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I mean if they hadn't got rid of leaded gasoline maybe that could have happened? Like zoomers are already pretty psychotic from being online all the time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Id watch The Thing with cowboys

whole new meaning to “there’s a snake in my boots”

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I Love Loosies posted:

S2 is as good and weird as the first so far. Timothy dalton is loving fantastic

Also if you like Venture Bros. check out Harley Quinn. There is a lot of cursing/ultraviolence that put me of at first but it gets less or i just got used to it.

Harley Quinn isnt on Max. Is it still on the DC app?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i will admit that i LOVE escape from new york even though its premise hinges on the same vague racialized "crime" that apparently overtakes america in the late 80s or so

escape from new york is a great example of a movie that succeeds even though it's very front-loaded. that scene at the beginning where snake is handcuffed at lee van cleef's desk is just so atmospheric and good. i love how lee van cleef still keeps cigarettes in a case on his desk in the far-off future of 1997 and snake just helps himself to one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was also very underwhelmed with the first two episodes of Harley Quinn

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I was also very underwhelmed with the first two episodes of Harley Quinn

I thought it got better as it went on and started expanding the cast more.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i think hanks 2020 opinion is a more interesting thought experiment because hed totally be on the biden train

but only because hes not aware of all the shady poo poo bidens done over the years and i dont think biden holds on to the hank hill vote in the event of a serious oppo campaign which we still havent seen this cycle

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Also want to recommend Harley Quinn, esp if your a comic fan or of the old batman animated series. The characters are kept pretty faithful even though its humor is absurd and violent, and it might have the best take on jim gordan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn_moRlHE0c

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Hank is the kind of guy who agonizes over not voting. He would have been unable to vote for Trump after Bobby says "grab them by the pussy" at breakfast in 2016.

In my head canon episode about 2016 he would have pretended to vote, going into the booth, shaking his head, exiting, and then he would get mad when people try talk about the election with him

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I remember the election episode they did where Hank initially practically idolizes GWB "the greatest orator of our time" and just a poor handshake is enough to make him agonize over the vote.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

I always assumed the "crime" in poo poo like Escape From New York is just extrapolation of the "crimes" of homelessness and drug addiction. I aint seen that movie in years but I'd be surprised if there's more people in Manhattan than in prisons all over america irl.

edit: I of course forgot the crime of mental illness

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zerilan posted:

Yeah I remember the election episode they did where Hank initially practically idolizes GWB "the greatest orator of our time" and just a poor handshake is enough to make him agonize over the vote.

its a fairly hilariously useless counterpoint given that strong handshakes and tricking people into thinking theyre brilliant orators are like the only genuine talents trump and biden have

biden probably has the edge here though in that trump at least has carnival banker showmanship going for him biden is literally just emperors new clothes to a degree thats transformed into mass scale gaslighting

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

skooma512 posted:

I think Hank would jump off the bandwagon. Question is when :thunk:

I choose to believe that Hank is now black block antifa.

edit: Bobby is a Boogaloo Boy now... Joseph Gribble is a neolib

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jul 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tiberion02 posted:

I choose to believe that Hank is now black block antifa.

edit: Bobby is a Boogaloo Boy now... Joseph Gribble is a neolib

I made a joke about a series of shenanigans resulting in Hank Hill joining the Arlen DSA

Kahn is definitely a 'I never thought the leopards would eat my face!' Trump voter

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

this king of the hill fanfiction is insufferable, i'm gonna change the topic:

lisa simpson grew up to vote for trump, bart doesn't vote (convicted felon), maggie votes for whichever left wing party has the least ballot access

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lisa is on her second husband (he was her lawyer for her first divorce) and is a fixture at city council meetings as a NIMBY zealot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
every family guy character votes straight-ticket republican including brian and meg except they lie about it afterwards

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

after returning to earth gypsy got cancelled due to her name, crow t robot became a major supporter of antifa, tom servo thinks "all extremists are bad", and mike nelson died in a car accident while driving too fast going to a cheese convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Peanut President posted:

after returning to earth gypsy got cancelled due to her name, crow t robot became a major supporter of antifa, tom servo thinks "all extremists are bad", and mike nelson died in a car accident while driving too fast going to a cheese convention

what about the mads