Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

If my ex is getting off my plan and wanted to stick with ATT, could she get the account setup without a credit check?

Last time I checked no, unless she wants to go to prepaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

That's what I figured. She's probably going to switch to ATT or TMO prepaid, then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm still on a Nation 450 plan w/unlimited iPhone data plus 200 texts because I get a 23% FAN discount. I'd like to upgrade to unlimited texting until the iPhone 12 comes out, and then I'll probably switch to a modern unlimited plan from AT&T or Verizon.

On my plan, there are 2 options, both $20. Is there any reason I shouldn't get option 2? It literally seems like it's option 1 plus unlimited minutes, and while that doesn't really matter because I rarely use my phone for calling, I might as well get it, right?

Messaging Unlimited
Enjoy unlimited domestic messaging.
Send and receive text, picture, and video messages with no overages.
No overages, no worries. Send and receive as many text, picture, and video messages as you want, to anyone in the U.S.

Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling
Get unlimited talk to any domestic wireless number.
Enjoy unlimited talk and text to or from any U.S. wireless carrier within the U.S., Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. Get unlimited text, picture, and video messages. Available on $39.99 and higher AT&T Nation® individual plans.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm still on a Nation 450 plan w/unlimited iPhone data plus 200 texts because I get a 23% FAN discount. I'd like to upgrade to unlimited texting until the iPhone 12 comes out, and then I'll probably switch to a modern unlimited plan from AT&T or Verizon.

On my plan, there are 2 options, both $20. Is there any reason I shouldn't get option 2? It literally seems like it's option 1 plus unlimited minutes, and while that doesn't really matter because I rarely use my phone for calling, I might as well get it, right?

Messaging Unlimited
No overages, no worries. Send and receive as many text, picture, and video messages as you want, to anyone in the U.S.

Enjoy unlimited talk and text to or from any U.S. wireless carrier within the U.S., Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. Get unlimited text, picture, and video messages. Available on $39.99 and higher AT&T Nation® individual plans.

From what I remember, yeah you want the $20 unlimited text. FYI once you leave they $5 200 text plan they will not let you go back, so it’ll be either stay with $20 for text, go to pay PER text, or switch to current unlimited plan like you were saying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

From what I remember, yeah you want the $20 unlimited text. FYI once you leave they $5 200 text plan they will not let you go back, so it’ll be either stay with $20 for text, go to pay PER text, or switch to current unlimited plan like you were saying.
Sorry, do you mean I should choose the "Messaging Unlimited" plan or the "Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling" plan? Or are you simply recommending unlimited texting for $20 in general?

I've always been able to get by with just the $5 plan because almost all my friends use iPhones, but I'm encountering more Androids through coworkers and dating, and I'm already at 176/200 with 13 days left in the month. Overages are 20 cents/text so that $15 difference only equates to 75 texts. :fuckoff:

But with that $15 increase, I think my current setup, even with that FAN discount, loses out to modern unlimited plans.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 20, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Sorry, do you mean I should choose the "Messaging Unlimited" plan or the "Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling" plan? Or are you simply recommending unlimited texting for $20 in general?

I've always been able to get by with just the $5 plan because almost all my friends use iPhones, but I'm encountering more Androids through coworkers and dating, and I'm already at 176/200 with 13 days left in the month. Overages are 20 cents/text so that $15 difference only equates to 75 texts. :fuckoff:

But with that $15 increase, I think my current setup, even with that FAN discount, loses out to modern unlimited plans.

i don't know ATT that well anymore, but in general i think both is the $20 rate for texting right ?

like, it might be time to switch plans. think it over of course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

i don't know ATT that well anymore, but in general i think both is the $20 rate for texting right ?
Yeah they're both $20, it's just one explicitly includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling. From what I can tell, this is because they added unlimited calling as a bonus if you added unlimited texting but those who already had unlimited texting had to turn on the bonus.

quote:

like, it might be time to switch plans. think it over of course.
My bill is currently $79.13 including taxes/fees for HD streaming and real unlimited data, which I think is pretty drat good. AT&T's Unlimited Extra is 50GB of "premium" data (aka not slowed down), SD streaming, and 15GB hotspot for $85 plus taxes and fees. Once you add $15 for unlimited texting (vs the $5 I was paying for 200 texts), the Unlimited Extra plan looks better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used to have a 30% FAN but it didn’t apply to any of their unlimited plans, just their metered plans. It was so stupid because they don’t offer any for a family of 5 lines. Just recently, they made the upgrade from their mid-tier unlimited to their top-tier the same price. Cool.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Currently only have 1 line on an ATT "Unlimited & More Plan" listed at 80/mo that ends up being ~83/mo with taxes etc. According to the comparison page, I can switch to an "Unlimited Elite" for $5/mo less and it'll increase data->100gig, hotspot->30gb and limits my "extra" to only HBO (which is what we use it for).

Should I save myself $5/mo or am I missing some big gotcha here?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Another "should I switch plans?" question:

Currently on the "Mobile Share Value 45GB" plan for $120/month. I see AT&T has an "Unlimited Elite (SM)" plan for $75 that also includes HBO Max.

For the 2nd plan, it states "After 100GB, we may slow speeds when the network is busy".

So ... Do I lose anything significant by moving over to the cheaper plan that appears to allow more data before throttling versus a straight limit?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

FunOne posted:

Currently only have 1 line on an ATT "Unlimited & More Plan" listed at 80/mo that ends up being ~83/mo with taxes etc. According to the comparison page, I can switch to an "Unlimited Elite" for $5/mo less and it'll increase data->100gig, hotspot->30gb and limits my "extra" to only HBO (which is what we use it for).

Should I save myself $5/mo or am I missing some big gotcha here?

I just did this change over last week and it's been fine for me....so if there's some gotcha I haven't found it yet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Out of nowhere today, my phone gave the message "lost mobile data connection" and I had to go to settings to turn on "roaming" with a notice it may incur significant charges, and now there's an R next to my cell signal strength.

WTF? I didn't even leave the state. Besides which, it's a nationwide plan like pretty much every other cell phone plan in existence. I did have to go back into my office this week, was working from home due to COVID like so many others, and the office is ~40 miles away, but I've literally been here years and never seen it say I had to turn on roaming. And I'm not nearly close enough to the Canadian border to be on one of their towers, so what gives?

Rebooted...went in and out of airplane mode, and still the same thing,

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you in a city with protests by any chance?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Charles posted:

Are you in a city with protests by any chance?

Not so much. There' been a few of them in my state as a whole (VT) and all have been peaceful, and definitely don't think there's one happening right now in the city I'm in.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not so much. There' been a few of them in my state as a whole (VT) and all have been peaceful, and definitely don't think there's one happening right now in the city I'm in.

Probably not that then. Cell towers getting slammed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Messaging Unlimited

Quick follow-up, I saw my plan would be ~$95/mo after taxes and fees so I decided to switch. Since I had such an old plan, I had to call to make the change, but it was EXTREMELY helpful and the lady was happy to talk technical, probably since I mentioned things like tower prioritization.

After taxes/fees and any application FAN/Signature Program discounts, my options were:

-Mobile Share Plus 9GB with 1 month data rollover for $52
-Unlimited Starter with 10-22GB premium data (but no tethering) for $71
-Unlimited Elite with 100GB premium for $82

I went with the $52/mo plan at least for the next few months while we reopen and then I'll switch to the $82 plan come September.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AT&T THANKS today has scratch cards to win $10 Dominos vouchers. If you like crap chain pizza like me it’s probably worth entering. I got one so I’m guessing there’s high odds of winning.

Running til 6pm ET.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Does anybody have more insight into what's going on with AT&T phones?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/22/att-tells-customers-to-change-their-phones-or-they-wont-work-anymore/

As of 2022 the G3 network will be turned off, leaving all phones that use G3 for calls (not data), and aren't blessed by AT&T out in the cold. As I'm looking for a new phone now, how do I find out whether something I may buy is AT&T approved? If I can help it I'd rather not buy a phone through AT&T.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lawson posted:

Does anybody have more insight into what's going on with AT&T phones?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/22/att-tells-customers-to-change-their-phones-or-they-wont-work-anymore/

As of 2022 the G3 network will be turned off, leaving all phones that use G3 for calls (not data), and aren't blessed by AT&T out in the cold. As I'm looking for a new phone now, how do I find out whether something I may buy is AT&T approved? If I can help it I'd rather not buy a phone through AT&T.

3G, not G3.

Basically any new phone these days has VoLTE (voice over LTE). Unlocked devices will continue to work fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They've left it ambiguous if it will support VoLTE or if they have to be branded HD voice.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Per the article, phones that are LTE but aren't ATT whitelisted may also be affected? They suggest that not-whitelisted phones may be currently connecting for voice with the 3G radio?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

angryrobots posted:

Per the article, phones that are LTE but aren't ATT whitelisted may also be affected? They suggest that not-whitelisted phones may be currently connecting for voice with the 3G radio?

At the very least it will need to support VoLTE, which might be called Enhanced 4G on your phone. I think any current device should have it. They pegged my Nokia 6.1 and Huawei P30 lite as not being compatible, but I'm pretty sure they should handle it fine. I can play with the Nokia but the Huawei is with someone very far away.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
This is fun because there are tons of connected car platforms that use AT&T 3G voice, including my BMW. I don't think they BWM even moved to LTE in all their cars until maybe two years ago, no more than 3 even even then I don't know that they use VoLTE.

And don't :hurr: BMW, lots of cars have telematic systems that rely on 3G, even like Hyundais.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

This is fun because there are tons of connected car platforms that use AT&T 3G voice, including my BMW. I don't think they BWM even moved to LTE in all their cars until maybe two years ago, no more than 3 even even then I don't know that they use VoLTE.

And don't :hurr: BMW, lots of cars have telematic systems that rely on 3G, even like Hyundais.

Automakers were slow to change from analog and then 2g so.....

I can't figure out how to tell if my Nokia is using VoLTE. The option doesn't seem to be there. It's stock Android 10. There's a year and a half to figure it out though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Charles posted:

At the very least it will need to support VoLTE, which might be called Enhanced 4G on your phone. I think any current device should have it. They pegged my Nokia 6.1 and Huawei P30 lite as not being compatible, but I'm pretty sure they should handle it fine. I can play with the Nokia but the Huawei is with someone very far away.

My phone is ATT branded and HD calling or whatever works with it. I was just saying that the article implies that this is a legitimate problem for some people.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Buff Hardback posted:

3G, not G3.

Basically any new phone these days has VoLTE (voice over LTE). Unlocked devices will continue to work fine.

Right, sorry. My reading is, as others have said, that unless AT&T specifically whitelists a model, it doesn't matter if that model has VoLTE. How would I find out if, say, the Moto G Power is whitelisted?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lawson posted:

Right, sorry. My reading is, as others have said, that unless AT&T specifically whitelists a model, it doesn't matter if that model has VoLTE. How would I find out if, say, the Moto G Power is whitelisted?

For obvious reasons, AT&T is lame and doesn't publicize a list of phones that are specifically whitelisted.

At this point, there's really nothing that can be said about it. No one knows what AT&T plans to do in the future, so they may end up saying that if it supports VoLTE you're good to go, or they may end up saying "lol only whitelisted phones and btw we don't publicize our list". Even now, there's no clarity on whether or not a device falls into the HD Voice (fully approved) bucket, or the VoLTE (voice works, but not technically approved) bucket, and which bucket they end up using for the final date.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They have this list: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf for volte and this list for wifi calling: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/WiFi_Calling_Compatible_Devices_092019.pdf

My Moto Z4 is on the volte list, and the *#*#4636#*#* menu shows VOLTE provisioned, but the SIM status screen shows IMS registration state"Not registered" and I can't seem to make a volte call. It drops to Hspa while making a call. Anything more to check?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Three Olives posted:

It's incredibly stupid that a car falls prey to the same tech problems as a $400 cell phone no matter the manufacturer. My old one really hyped AT&T connectivity and it was a 3G thing. The guy who bought it was really happy to have the connectivity. I almost feel bad!

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
I got the dreaded email from AT&T that my phone won't work when they drop 3G.

It's an unbranded unlocked Note 10 I bought from Amazon a month ago.
I didn't have any luck getting through to customer service the past few days so I ended up making a complaint to the FCC on Friday night.
Here is the link to make a complaint to the FCC: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Form link.

I titled my complaint: "AT&T will not allow unbranded unlocked Samsung note 10 VoLTE access".
Describing my complaint I stated that my Samsung Note 10 Phone is VoLTE capable but AT&T won't allow me to access it through their network because I didn't purchase the phone from AT&T.
I also stated that as of 2/2021 my current generation phone would no longer work on AT&T's network, forcing me to buy a new phone from them.
As a resolution I asked for AT&T to allow my phone to access VoLTE on their network.

This afternoon I received a call from Barbara from the office of the president of AT&T. She stated that my phone information was updated on their network and I could now access VoLTE.

So, if you do have a VoLTE capable phone, but have no luck with customer service, I suggest you follow this route and make a complaint through the FCC.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

This afternoon I received a call from Barbara from the office of the president of AT&T. She stated that my phone information was updated on their network and I could now access VoLTE.

Did she specify anything more about what they mean by, "phone information was updated on their network"?

I am curious if they specifically force provisioned the feature on your line, or added the IMEI range to the 'compatible' list for their systems to not confuse in the future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well that's one way to get customer service I guess.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Did she specify anything more about what they mean by, "phone information was updated on their network"?

I am curious if they specifically force provisioned the feature on your line, or added the IMEI range to the 'compatible' list for their systems to not confuse in the future.

Pretty sure she just provisioned it on my line. They tried to say my account didn't know what kind of phone I had (BS, I mean they have my IMEI), and said they updated their systems with what phone I had and what android version I was running so their network would recognize that I can run VoLTE. (Her words).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's awesome that AT&T is finally offering discounts to unlimited plans for first responders/nurses/doctors - We're paying less for unlimited than we did for a 9GB family plan - we got Unlimited Elite for Unlimited Extra pricing (FAN discount), plus 25% off, for a grand total of $30 per line.

We were thinking about switching to T-Mobile at the end of the year but I don't think there's a cheaper plan out there with 5G and 30GB of hotspot per line.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gay Retard posted:

It's awesome that AT&T is finally offering discounts to unlimited plans for first responders/nurses/doctors - We're paying less for unlimited than we did for a 9GB family plan - we got Unlimited Elite for Unlimited Extra pricing (FAN discount), plus 25% off, for a grand total of $30 per line.

We were thinking about switching to T-Mobile at the end of the year but I don't think there's a cheaper plan out there with 5G and 30GB of hotspot per line.

Hmmmm. I've been on Google Fi for years but seeing this, that AT&T Unlimited Elites (including HBO Max) for $64 is pretty drat tempting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I went to their website to check my eligibility. I work in higher ed, popped in my work email, and it said I'm qualified for that. If you work in higher ed or are a student, I would check as well.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Pretty sure she just provisioned it on my line. They tried to say my account didn't know what kind of phone I had (BS, I mean they have my IMEI), and said they updated their systems with what phone I had and what android version I was running so their network would recognize that I can run VoLTE. (Her words).

So the thing is, these carriers basically have giant database of IMEIs and IMEI ranges, what they are, and what they are capable of. Hence why I asked what she had to say. But based on this, it's not clear what they might have done.

If I had to put money on it, they just forced the feature onto your line, rather than actually fix their IMEI database. They want people buying those AT&T branded phones after all. :(

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah they identified what phones I'm using including a Huawei so it's BS if they tell you they don't know.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Charles posted:

Well that's one way to get customer service I guess.

I used to work for Comcast FCC Complaints for legit stuff get things DONE and Fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I've never upgraded through att before. I tried to do the 1000 off a note 20 line and got the phone today but there was no info in the box for the trade in. There was the rma/exchange label but it doesn't mention trade in... did something get messed up or do I just send my old phone in that box with that label?

I've been on hold for almost an hour so far with cs.