Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn do I wish all governors were up for reelection this year. I still got two more years of Doug Douchey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

My state has recently unveiled a halfway decent slogan to tame the raging anti-maskers: It's for Now, not Forever.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

RandomFerret posted:

If The Count is any kind of undead, I'd argue it's far more likely that he is a jiangshi, or Chinese vampire

Consider the following traits:

• Blue skin

• Stiff joints (only ever movies one arm at a time)

• Stuttery locomotion, hopping movements rather than a smooth walking gait

Obsessed with counting things

None of these are common in western vampire stories, but all of them are quite often seen in Chinese depictions

Western vampires are also obsessed with counting things. One of the ways to ward them off is to drop poppy seeds, grain, millet or sand at their grave. When the alleged vampire emerged from their grave at night, they would spend all night counting it and either die to the sun or have to go back at dawn. Jiangshi had the same issue but with bags of rice by entryways.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Riatsala posted:

My 6th grade art teacher used that as some kind of gotcha. Every time someone said "that sucks" she'd start yelling "SUCKS WHAT EXACTLY???"

One day one of the more wholesome and well-meaning kids responded "A GIANT JUICY PICKLE :D" and got detention, but at least she never asked again.

I went to a Catholic high school and sophomore year we had to take a class on morality (ostensibly, "Religion II"). The teacher was a 20-something woman in a class full of 15/16 year old boys. Keep that in mind. There came a unit about sexual morality (:ironicat:). Before any of us knew this, she began the first lesson of the unit by writing "SEX," by itself, in the center of the blackboard. Then she asked us for synonyms for sex. A couple kids ventured some tame poo poo like "intercourse" and "make love." She kept asking and finally put "gently caress" on the board herself. She explained that so many words for sex have violent connotations or linguistic origins (she erroneously singled out "gently caress" for this). So then she asked again for synonyms. Then the class let loose with increasingly nonsensical answers meant to confuse her:

Bang
Slam
Donkey Punch
Slam Pig
Dirt McGurt
Dirty Sanchez
Clean Jean
Chicken Noodle
Flowbee
Don't Wake Daddy
Fnord

And so on. She wrote every loving one on the board. It was glorious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RandomFerret posted:

I got detention once for saying something sucked. The teacher yelled "I know that means it SUCKS DICK"

Not a single kid in that class knew that

Do most people actually interpret it that way, though? "Sucks" is like a G-rated phrase now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A slam bang action thriller

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can see people getting pissed about "sucks" in the future and calling it sexist

The problem with it in the 90s definitely wasn't that it was sexist though, just that sex was gross and Beavis and Butthead said it

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
One good Family Guy segment was an intro where Peter was watching Sesame Street with the count and asked if they ever depicted him sucking blood.

That always just stuck with me.

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Lobok posted:

Do most people actually interpret it that way, though? "Sucks" is like a G-rated phrase now.

It's better to let that kind of info fall out of public knowledge. If we didn't, people would be more touchy about words like "idiot," "scumbag," and even "naughty." There was a time that "gently caress" had the same impact as the c-word in the US and now you are allowed one in PG movies. So in 100 years maybe little children will be adorably calling each other motherfuckin' shitbags.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JesusGeorge posted:

So in 100 years maybe little children will be adorably calling each other motherfuckin' shitbags.

I never understood what “glass half-full” meant until now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JesusGeorge posted:

So in 100 years maybe little children will be adorably calling each other motherfuckin' shitbags.

Or, you know, now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got in trouble as a child for tell my brother he screwed it up while we were playing Mario

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Y mom deffo did the soap in the mouth with me, sometimes liquid even.

I got in trouble for saying ‘bull’ to her because she knew I meant ‘bullshit’.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero posted:

Y mom deffo did the soap in the mouth with me, sometimes liquid even.

I got in trouble for saying ‘bull’ to her because she knew I meant ‘bullshit’.

I couldn't say dang or darn at my grandma's house

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it was all the rage at my elementary school to say "funkin" instead of "fuckin," but my parents saw right through that poo poo

by middle school they didn't care, my dad is an auto mechanic so from helping him work on cars I was privvy to all the best swears

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought sucks might have come from telling people to "go suck eggs"
Which probably has dirty origins anyway

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
On the other hand if you don't give context, you get kids genuinely shocked 'gay' means homosexuality and not just 'something bad'

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Elfface posted:

On the other hand if you don't give context, you get kids genuinely shocked 'gay' means homosexuality and not just 'something bad'

Yeah, I was probably 15 or 16 before the connection was made for me

And probably 19 before I stopped using it :negative:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

it was all the rage at my elementary school to say "funkin" instead of "fuckin," but my parents saw right through that poo poo

by middle school they didn't care, my dad is an auto mechanic so from helping him work on cars I was privvy to all the best swears

For about three months in middle school, it was the rage for the boys to yell SHUT UP BITCH, but with the bitch part as high-pitched as possible to confuse the teachers. I don't know if they never caught on or let it go. The former is a distinct possibility.

I also recall that in fifth grade, someone had to read a line in a story that contained the word "sexist." We'd never seen the word before and the poor kid stumbled over it, embarrassed as he pronounced it sexiest because we were repressed kids in a rural area. Sex is a bad, dirty word. Thankfully the teacher did correct the pronunciation and told us what it meant.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Talk about passing the buck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Railing Kill posted:

I went to a Catholic high school and sophomore year we had to take a class on morality (ostensibly, "Religion II"). The teacher was a 20-something woman in a class full of 15/16 year old boys. Keep that in mind. There came a unit about sexual morality (:ironicat:). Before any of us knew this, she began the first lesson of the unit by writing "SEX," by itself, in the center of the blackboard. Then she asked us for synonyms for sex. A couple kids ventured some tame poo poo like "intercourse" and "make love." She kept asking and finally put "gently caress" on the board herself. She explained that so many words for sex have violent connotations or linguistic origins (she erroneously singled out "gently caress" for this). So then she asked again for synonyms. Then the class let loose with increasingly nonsensical answers meant to confuse her:

Bang
Slam
Donkey Punch
Slam Pig
Dirt McGurt
Dirty Sanchez
Clean Jean
Chicken Noodle
Flowbee
Don't Wake Daddy
Fnord

And so on. She wrote every loving one on the board. It was glorious.

The best teacher.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Solice Kirsk posted:

heh

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

BA-DUM TISH!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
No. Smoking Alcohol!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

I can see people getting pissed about "sucks" in the future and calling it sexist

Surely the issue with "sucks" if you know the actual meaning is more that it's homophobic?

Like, why would it be a bad thing to suck dick unless you're — ohhh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JesusGeorge posted:

It's better to let that kind of info fall out of public knowledge. If we didn't, people would be more touchy about words like "idiot," "scumbag," and even "naughty." There was a time that "gently caress" had the same impact as the c-word in the US and now you are allowed one in PG movies. So in 100 years maybe little children will be adorably calling each other motherfuckin' shitbags.

I remember my year 12 literature teacher telling us that when she was in university in the 60s, saying that something was "completely stuffed" was basically the same as using c-word is right now in the USA.

Anyway, pictures.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Birds are weird

https://twitter.com/MU_Birdplus/status/1202037112528224256

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically the bird version of the Sow/Reap tweet.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
thats a bird 3 way. incase you couldnt tell by the cummies emoji. the bottom two are mating and the third bird is like hell yeah dont mind if i do.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Bird on top is trying to cockblock old Lucky Pierre.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZgZAMyx.gifv

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Memento posted:

I remember my year 12 literature teacher telling us that when she was in university in the 60s, saying that something was "completely stuffed" was basically the same as using c-word is right now in the USA.

Anyway, pictures.

Is this a real anime? Because that kind of low brow meta humor appeals directly to my internet damaged mind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not fooling anybody

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got in trouble as a wee lad for telling my older brother to go suck an egg. I learned it from GI Joe.

Apparently it's a snake thing.

I also got in trouble for saying god dang, because somehow that would mean god was paying attention and would dang it? I guess? Growing up in the south was weird sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Should have said "god darn" because that's a great way to avoid holes in your socks.