Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

Really gonna set Don Frye up to have his eyes gouged out in a one night tournament after the thread consensus is clearly that we need to push Frye all the way to capture American audiences. Tomfoolery. Absolutely shameful.

Don Frye doesn't need eyes to beat a man up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Get Takayuki Okada on the card! The man's a draw if I ever saw one!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After some adjustments, I've made the Middlweight Grand Prix. It will not be a 1 night tournament however as they're all cowards. Guy Mezger is the biggest coward because he doesn't want to fight at all on the card vs Saku despite that being his tournament opponent.

Main Card

Prelims

The Middlweight Grand Prix tournament is as such

I've also set up TV deals with some of the media corporations available, don't worry about that bit. However we can always start our own TV provider if we want and blow a ton of money.

I'll also update with any new people who become available to hire. I'm going to start shortlisting some of the Welterweights so Murilo Rua has someone to win a title off of like he never did IRL.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I made MW GP Belt for posterity sake. Forgot to do that for the HW GP but we can do an Openweight GP down the line as well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tragedy!

Heavyweight GP participant Naoya Ogawa got injured during training!

This means his tournament matchup with Mark Coleman is off (Coleman is still booked on the card unless we can't find a replacement)

Hmm...who wants a piece of The Hammer?

Well Goons, who gets the vacant spot?

Note: We've made it a total 4 days into the year for January 2001

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 14, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

If we want to better simulate an area where the promoter had even more power than today and fighters could be even more easily manipulated by questioning their guts and/or manhood, you could edit in a few attributes, such as Fearless, Never back down, All comers and Short notice. They shouldn't affect the fights themselves, only the risk of fighters turning them down.

E: WAR Sperry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
All I know about Tadao Yusuda is that he was a sumo wrestler and therefore for maximum freakshow value I say put him in.

edit: yeah for legit value Mario Sperry is probably the best fighter for this

Memento fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 14, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I assume the only reason Takada isn't in the tournament is that he gets the automatic first title match. Got to show respect to the guy who Pride was built on the back of.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
wikipedia says Satake lost a fight to Coleman in Jan 2000 so let him have his rematch imo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

In our perfect timeline, Bobby Southworth must not live long enough to call Chris Leben a fatherless bastard. Give him to 2000s Hammer.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Only one man can make the cut in time

The Diet Butcher, Alex Otsuka

Also, we gotta hire Valentijn Overeem

e: nvm, this

Bluedeanie posted:

In our perfect timeline, Bobby Southworth must not live long enough to call Chris Leben a fatherless bastard. Give him to 2000s Hammer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

Only one man can make the cut in time

The Diet Butcher, Alex Otsuka

Also, we gotta hire Valentijn Overeem

e: nvm, this

Randy Couture, Fedor, both Noguieras and both Overeems are all in RINGS but I can easily just outbid them since RINGS can't hire people to exclusive contracts. I put an offer out for Big Nog since the AI playing UFC is trying to hire them.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

have him fight Sperry and sign Big Nog, the Reem brothers and Randleman

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
We need to establish the sumo -> mma pipeline. Sumo is the natural basis for having pride.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We are tied with three people at the moment vying for the spot. Vote for only 1 of these 3 people

Mario Sperry

Bobby Southworth

Tadao Yusuda

https://strawpoll.com/7vp961vdw

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 15, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry for posting the name of the person instead of using the straw poll above

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for those that were suggesting people to make contract bids for

We are going to have to wait for Randleman as he's under exclusive contract with the UFC right now (he has 2 fights then he can get poached by us).

I also moved Murilo Rua to Middlweight (205lbs) since he was the lone Welterweight on our roster.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Yusuda won the poll so he will be booked tonface Coleman.

We've picked up some new people to join our ranks.

I was dumb and didn't catch on that RINGS had approached Gilbert about an exclusive deal and he is in our HW Grand Prix so....let's hope he loses.

They also stole Egan Inoue from us as well.

We've made it to our first event and here are the results

Prelims

Main Card (Main event is at the top)

Event summary/breakdown

The Middleweight Tournament is on to its Semi-finals with these matchups

Our rankings are now updated

Heavyweight

Middleweight

Now lets see how this affected our organization

We also have some people out on injury for the time being. Not shown in the image is Wanderlei who is out for 13 days.

So overall, not the best but not terrible. Doing no drug testing may bite us in the butt but Kerr being "undeserving" was more of a blow even though he was the #6 ranked guy.

So let's start thinking about what we are gonna do as our next event. Obviously we need to continue the Middleweight Tournament. I also created an Openweight GP tournament belt if we want to start that up.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 16, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

This Anderson fella will never amount to anything. Poor hiring decision imo.

E: A surname as a first name? Get out of here.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

But the lack of drug testing was a contributor to Pride’s success. Game is unrealistic. And look at those fighter payouts. They should form a union.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been a little while since we had any posts so I decided to move the LP along.

We are in the final week of February 2001 and setting up our next event now that a lot of people have recovered.

Sadly, Ryan Gracie became scared of Sakuraba and refuses to fight him in our Middleweight Tournament so we've replaced him with Murilo Rua. We've also set up a HW Title bout between Mark Kerr (C) and Randy Couture. There is also a Openweight Grand Prix tournament that will pit people against each other again in another 1 night tournament to win the Openweight GP Belt. Winner gets a title shot at the champ in their normal division. (Tournament is marked in the image by a "T")

Main Card

Prelims

Please note I've put Ryan as the curtain jerker against the seasoned Guy Mezger for his crimes against our tournaments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
we're trying to rewrite history and a Gracie ducked Sakuraba anyway

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lid posted:

we're trying to rewrite history and a Gracie ducked Sakuraba anyway

:laffo:

February 2001 Randy Couture could be a real force against 2001 Mark Kerr. Good matchup. Does he hold the UFC title at this point in time, like in real life?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

:laffo:

February 2001 Randy Couture could be a real force against 2001 Mark Kerr. Good matchup. Does he hold the UFC title at this point in time, like in real life?

Yes, he does, but in February 2001 he lost to Valentijn Overeem in RINGS while still being the UFC champion.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Save scum so that Saku never loses, I won't tell.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hello I have only read the op but please run Frye v takayama on every card even if they have another scheduled fight tia

Edit: please also grab butterbean as soon as he's available. Gimmick fights rule.

Can you enable kicks to downed opponents but also give fighters a standing 10 count? I'm imagining a fighter trying to get a kick in as the ref dives in to get the guy back on his feet

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 22, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

Hello I have only read the op but please run Frye v takayama on every card even if they have another scheduled fight tia

Edit: please also grab butterbean as soon as he's available. Gimmick fights rule.

Can you enable kicks to downed opponents but also give fighters a standing 10 count? I'm imagining a fighter trying to get a kick in as the ref dives in to get the guy back on his feet

I went and looked at the rules settings.

We can have soccer kicks and also a standing 10 count. We have not enabled the standing 10 count however it does say "fighters who are knocked down" so I don't know how that would work via a soccer kick.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We've sped up to Pride 14: Fierce on Week 4, March 2001 (nothing at all happened other than a few UFC events where a title or two changed hands).

First lets look at the preliminary card to see the opening round matches for our Openweight Tournament

Wandy, Ken, Bobby Southworth, & Daijiro Matsui all advanced to the semifinals.

Also Ryan was embarassed by Guy Mazger, Nate & Vitor picked up some wins, and Fedor debuted with a triangle submission.

Now let's take a look at the main card of the event.

Randy came out on top versus Kerr and is our new champion.

Saku & Hendo are gonna throw down for the MW title in the MW GP Finals.

And holy poo poo Wandy killed everyone despite being one of the smaller lads in the Openweight GP and has earned a title shot (by my own bullshit rules). I also want to point out Ken lasted a whole 40 seconds, while Masaake Sataake and Bobby Southworth lasted much longer.

Financially it was a bit of a success for us. We didn't have to spend too much money and made some good amount of money back.

As a result we've seen some popularity increase for Pride across the globe, mainly still in Japan though.

Which means we have grown in size to be a Mid Level National organization (basically we can get better TV deals the higher our level is in each region).

Unfortunately due to the tournaments having "unworthy challengers" we took a hit to our credibility and we're at 50% Credibility.

HOWVER our stability is quite high at 95%

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 22, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Pulled me in from another thread. This game actually looks kinda good

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Working on a list of things I would like to correct, accelerate or prevent in our pocket dimension timeline. Hoping you can clarify a few things for me so I can structure my list realistically:

1. Has Matt Hughes' contract come up yet?
2. Has the freight train's contract come up yet and can it be booked at WW or MW?

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I am gutted that Okada lost

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

12% drop in credibility because Wandy wasn’t seen as legit, I blame this on it being technically 2001 and thus Sandstorm hadn’t been recorded yet

E: well poo poo, Google says it came out in 2000

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 23, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Anderson Silva getting them 10-second knockouts early in his career.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

Working on a list of things I would like to correct, accelerate or prevent in our pocket dimension timeline. Hoping you can clarify a few things for me so I can structure my list realistically:

1. Has Matt Hughes' contract come up yet?
2. Has the freight train's contract come up yet and can it be booked at WW or MW?

1. This should answer your question.

2. Freight Train being? (i forgot a lot of the nicknames of old)

Also here's the update for the post event stuff.

We picked up my boy in red trunks, Minowaman!

DEEP, KOTC, Shooto, RINGS, and um...one other org I can't recall off hand closed a lot of their lighter divisions so I took this opportunity to make the small man divisions. The plan is to basically replicate the PRDIE Bushido series

Speaking of small men this was a matchup in RINGS that was worth pointing out.

Kotani got FOTN & also SOTN in that org, and then left since their contract ended. This winning spirit earns him a contract offer from us.

We've also booked two events relatively close to each other.

First up is PRIDE 15 with 3 title fights, 2 of them are for titles that are vacant and feature the MW GP Finals between Hendo & Saku!

And then a few weeks later we got PRIDE 16

We're looking to build up some of our new/rookie HW people as well as the lighter lads.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
put Matt Hughes against Don Frye

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hughes v wanderlie

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

put Matt Hughes against Don Frye

Sadly, that's not feasible due to the massive weight difference despite me trying super hard to make that a possibility.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Can we have a Matt Hughes Invitational gauntlet where it's just Matt Hughes getting hosed up all night long?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
do his 10 fight contract in one night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mekchu posted:

Sadly, that's not feasible due to the massive weight difference despite me trying super hard to make that a possibility.

start an openweight grand prix except its only one match