Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
now I dont feel so bad missing this year, gently caress getting sunburned for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Hall H lines are funky this year - you can't line up until early morning if the day you'd be able to get a wristband. Allegedgly at 6:30am but our Saturday Hall H group nabbed a spot around 5am this morning.

I've been unable to get into the actual con much but the exhibition hall seems less horribly packed. In some places it was even a pleasant bustle.

I'm glad I didn't use my bag. My group stored ours immediately. When we went to get bags and lanyards we were sent upstairs, to the back of the hall, then back into this line. The line was then dispersed ten minutes later and we were told to come back later because they were overwhelmed. On a hunch I continued forward and saw that the escalator was feeding directly into the bags and lanyards area. Joined them and got mine quick but holy crap was that a bullshit move.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
The Rickflector thing was pretty fun, I had some kinect style dancing game while my wife played pickle rock fruit ninja. I played some goofy carnival game and won a “deadly battle kite” from the Venture Bros. As for merch, I now have an overpriced beach towel with ATHF Carl on it. All in all kinda rad, lines were short and well managed.

I wonder if the bags broke due to the extra 15 pounds of guides they put in there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Food tips this year. Panda Express has a pop up on 6th and J that's giving away a skewer of their new chicken that's really good, plus a drink. The line moves super fast and they don't mind you going through more than once.

The Broken Yolk also has a street taco vendor out after they close. It's a very good taco and at $3.75/per (or $4.25 for a queso taco. I recommend that queso taco) it's hard to beat.

Otherwise, Coco House is kinda rear end this year, the people they have are good but the location sucks and the people staffing are past normal amounts of standard comic con "tired of doing my job." But piece of poo poo of the year goes to Twilight Zone. experience. Do not do it. It is literally a mirror box you step into with bad acoustics and they play you the intro to the new series. There was zero give away at the end. People waited hours for it. If I was actually a fan of the new bad series, I would seriously consider changing my opinion based solely on how bad this experience is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You could literally open an activation to an empty room playing zombocom and people will line up for it

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This year seems more than a little bad. Most of the offsites are bad. The Marvel panel was overhyped and all they did was announce poo poo that was previously announced (except Blade, that's very new and very good) and the only footage they brought for the whole 90 minute thing was a trailer for Black Widow. It seems like they took a step backwards trying to improve traffic in the exhibit hall because there are so many more places now that were just jammed up. There seemed to be huge decrease in nighttime things to do as well and what there was seems to all have been way overbooked. There's some highlights but most of it seemed to mediocre at best and for the 50th, it just seems bad.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

It has been surprisingly lackluster for a 50th anniversary. Not a lot of good programming. Hall H on Saturday wasn't worth the clusterfuck that was the next day line.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Waited 4 hours for the Brooklyn Nine Nine activation.

Worth it. So much fun.

Everything else has been rear end this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Waited 4 hours for the Brooklyn Nine Nine activation.

Worth it. So much fun.

Everything else has been rear end this year.

I'm sorry to report this to you but ACAB.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
They did gently caress a lot of things up for the 50th. Saturday Hall H programming was hit or miss - the Star Trek stuff was cooler than I expected and Marvel was pretty much exactly what I was expecting so I was content. No nighttime shuttles and the line changes and poor line management sucked. I felt that the exhibition hall floor actually was a lot easier to traverse apart from a few knots in the center.

They really do need to just bite the bullet and cut the number of attendees by like 20 thousand and use the exclusives lottery system for Hall H and maybe Ballroom 20 content and clear the room after each panel.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Welp, I guess we’re doing this again. All four days.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Same. Got in just after preview night sold out (they hadn't updated any notifications that it had sold out by the time I got in). One of my party seems to be slowing down and just wanted Thursday and Sunday. I feel like I'm gonna go as many days as I can until the year I get shut out in RR and general reg and then I'll just stop going forever.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I only got Thursday and Sunday, but I can always try again in open for more days. Though that Green Day concert on that Friday makes me wary of being anywhere near downtown on that day. It's gonna be an absolute nightmare, kudos to the supervillain/terrorist who pulled off that booking.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Thursday, Friday, Sunday... I'm actually looking forward to maybe getting to have a day poking around the offsites and gaslamp.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Wondercon postponed.

Let’s see if SDCC gets the chopping block next

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Dr Tran posted:

Wondercon postponed.

Let’s see if SDCC gets the chopping block next

It’d be rad if that con rot doesn’t have a 20 percent hospitalization rate

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

everywhere is coronacon everyday :getin:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

SDCC is officially canceled for 2020.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Actually ok with this. I’m living off the money I would have spent there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Actually ok with this. I’m living off the money I would have spent there.

Very much the same.

Also happy they're allowing transfers to next year rather that just blanket refunds and everyone has to try again in 8 months.

Based on Newsome's comments tho, I'm not sure if this is gonna happen next year either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean do we really need more funcopops

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
ComicCon and cruise cancelled the same day... well that is convenient.

Honestly this was the best choice and the best way of handling it. Rollover or refund meams people that get in last year aren't entirely screwed.

As for those funcopops - I'll have you know that they are the cornerstone of the economic recovery!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Refund form has to be filled out by July 1, no partial refunds. If you are carrying over to 2021, no action required on our end. See you next year!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is anyone excited for the panels this week?

I might watch some of the Keanu panels on Saturday

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I've struck out three times today trying to get various exclusives so it already feels like I'm there.

It's wild how unprepared everyone is for this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I've struck out three times today trying to get various exclusives so it already feels like I'm there.

It's wild how unprepared everyone is for this.

Which ones?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

A couple pieces of original art and 100% soft's dumpster fire covid pin.

Also this afternoon I was shut out of mondo's star wars poster but at $150, I feel it was stupid to even be in the game on that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I was thinking of getting shags boba geekitiki mug and I don’t even like geekitiki

Slept through my alarm lol

A penny saved is a penny earned and this year I’m making it rain pennies from heaven

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm very excited about the amount of money I'm saving from sdcc this year. No passing by booths and seeing any "that looks cool" stuff. No hotel to pay for. No overpriced lunch and or dinner because gently caress gaslamp prices. I also get to sleep in later andI don't have to destroy my body trying to get up to get in line for the exhibit hall.

The only thing that kinda disappoints me is the weather actually looks pretty decent for the weekend though the humidity looks like it sucks balls.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean you could always go to San Diego just to chill instead of do the nerd rat race

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean you could always go to San Diego just to chill instead of do the nerd rat race

Sure, but traffic is lovely again and a 2+ hour car ride to hope that people aren't assholes and got masks and socially distancing doesn't sound fun when I can just stew at home.

Plus I didn't put in for vacation days this time because well....*waves hand around at general directions*

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Is anyone excited for the panels this week?

I might watch some of the Keanu panels on Saturday

I am! I’ve got a full schedule picked out. It’s mostly animation and comic book shop talk

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RevKrule posted:

I'm very excited about the amount of money I'm saving from sdcc this year. No passing by booths and seeing any "that looks cool" stuff. No hotel to pay for. No overpriced lunch and or dinner because gently caress gaslamp prices. I also get to sleep in later andI don't have to destroy my body trying to get up to get in line for the exhibit hall.

The only thing that kinda disappoints me is the weather actually looks pretty decent for the weekend though the humidity looks like it sucks balls.

I miss that Brazilian AYCE. The local ones just aren't the same.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Dr Tran posted:

I miss that Brazilian AYCE. The local ones just aren't the same.

I tricked a project manager into doing a business lunch there in January so I’m good. I’m a lot less sweaty this year and I just bought some fun stuff from Toddland, yeehaw.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just got an email shipping notice for The Boys swag. I actually had to scratch my head since I hadn't bought anything from amazon

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Time to try again next year my dudes.

https://twitter.com/Comic_Con/status/1366478468091965440

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly not surprised. It's for the best.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I absolutely agree and I'm happy they aren't gonna drag this out like they did last year. It sucks but at the same time it's expected and the right choice to make.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

quote:

CCI revealed that the convention will be called Comic-Con Special Edition, and it is being planned as a three-day event on November 26-28, 2021. The Friday-Sunday event falls immediately after Thanksgiving.

I’ll be going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ah good maybe we can get them black friday deals now