Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

BrigadierSensible posted:

I mean, I know that the real reason for that is the fetishization that America has with guns.

But don't laws that allow gun carrying but forbid body armour go against the stated reason that "guns are for personal protection"? i.e. you are allowed to have something on your person that can kill someone, but you can't have anything on your person that actually protects you from people trying to kill you.

The reason is because then it's harder for cops to murder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The ol' "Arabic numerals" troll is a classic but it's amazing how the obvious bait keeps snaring idiots.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/leftistthot420/status/1285988995818835970?s=19

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

is, is she gone?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

In high school my brother started saying "holy" before sneezing so it sounded like "holy poo poo" and it was kinda funny but he kept doing it to the point it's involuntary and one time he did it in a court room and the judge wasn't happy.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1286031970217197591

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Human minorities think they are so oppressed, but who will fight for the worms?

https://twitter.com/mbeisen/status/1284883063067926529

https://twitter.com/glctcsm/status/1285666612255821827

https://twitter.com/foodskop/status/1285597294725922817

https://twitter.com/glctcsm/status/1285666955945541633

https://twitter.com/ChelseaHerps/status/1285396867438776322

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are biologists seriously upset that another biologist made a joke about the sexual reproduction of a worm?

Like, I'm usually the first to call bullshit when people say something is "just a joke," but it's literally just a joke.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Push El Burrito posted:

In high school my brother started saying "holy" before sneezing so it sounded like "holy poo poo" and it was kinda funny but he kept doing it to the point it's involuntary and one time he did it in a court room and the judge wasn't happy.

Im permabanned brother holysneezer58...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

Are biologists seriously upset that another biologist made a joke about the sexual reproduction of a worm?

Like, I'm usually the first to call bullshit when people say something is "just a joke," but it's literally just a joke.

Not attacking or defending the worm joke:

But that is kind of the point. Bigots love to compare "A black a poof and a broad walk into a bar ..." style jokes with this silly, (yet slightly inappropriate to use in a professional setting), joke. And defend them both with "Oh, it's just a joke." and it's horrible sibling comment "You can't say anything nowadays without someone getting offended."

And having ones offense brushed off with "Oh it's just a joke", or even worse "stop being so sensitive." is a very lovely thing

I will agree, the main complainer is taking it way too far, and over what is an inconsequential joke about worms. And I am in no way comparingthis incident to any of the many many ways that women, POC, LGBTQ people etc. are belittled in the workplace. But in big broad brushstrokes there is a point there.

Also, surely if the joketeller went, "whoops, sorry. That was a little vulgar to be using in a professional context. I'll keep it more professional next time." All would be chill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Not attacking or defending the worm joke:

But that is kind of the point. Bigots love to compare "A black a poof and a broad walk into a bar ..." style jokes with this silly, (yet slightly inappropriate to use in a professional setting), joke. And defend them both with "Oh, it's just a joke." and it's horrible sibling comment "You can't say anything nowadays without someone getting offended."

And having ones offense brushed off with "Oh it's just a joke", or even worse "stop being so sensitive." is a very lovely thing

I will agree, the main complainer is taking it way too far, and over what is an inconsequential joke about worms. And I am in no way comparingthis incident to any of the many many ways that women, POC, LGBTQ people etc. are belittled in the workplace. But in big broad brushstrokes there is a point there.

Also, surely if the joketeller went, "whoops, sorry. That was a little vulgar to be using in a professional context. I'll keep it more professional next time." All would be chill.

He was answering the question "What's the most overhyped animal?" I assume any response from an actual biologist is a joke. Your counterexample directly contains homophobic and sexist language, which the original joke did not.

And then you have a bunch of white people comparing a joke about their favorite worm to systemic racism, which is loving insane and I think personally think deeply insulting to bipoc scientists, but I'm not a scientist nor bipoc so can't really comment directly on that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

slightly inappropriate to use in a professional setting

a little vulgar to be using in a professional context
It's Twitter. :confused:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Stuntman posted:

sounds chudly to me but i'm not going to listen to that unfunny hack to confirm

Suit yourself, but I listen to his podcast regularly and he admits that's part of a character he does to stir up poo poo because he thinks it's funny when people over-correct and get outraged by this stuff so it shouldn't all be taken at face value.

He also often berates himself for being an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nexus6 posted:

that's part of a character he does to stir up poo poo because he thinks it's funny when people over-correct and get outraged by this stuff
How is that not what all chuds say already when they get called out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nexus6 posted:

Suit yourself, but I listen to his podcast regularly and he admits that's part of a character he does to stir up poo poo because he thinks it's funny when people over-correct and get outraged by this stuff so it shouldn't all be taken at face value.

He also often berates himself for being an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you ironically smear poo poo all over yourself to get a reaction, you're still just someone who covers themselves in poo poo.

Seems like he might be on the right track with the "I'm an idiot" part and should follow that train of thought further.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Worms: :can: in the streets, :decorum: in the sheets

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's Twitter. :confused:

twitter is the real world now

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Loud sneezers are indeed the worst though. If I managed to restrain my sneezes after transitioning than so can men

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AshleyHammm/status/1286094253920333825
https://twitter.com/HartThe/status/1286225595446128640
https://twitter.com/HartThe/status/1286233026331123712
https://twitter.com/patientfailure/status/1286237675549159425

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

goblin week posted:

Loud sneezers are indeed the worst though. If I managed to restrain my sneezes after transitioning than so can men

It's utterly meaningless. Anyone can be a loud sneezer. It's a autonomic response that functions by drawing in large amounts of air then creating strong pressure by forcefully and quickly expelling it, it will make noise. Deal with the five seconds of annoyance this completely innocuous physiological function inspires in you and move on instead of believing that everyone should change some harmless aspect of themselves to spare you those five seconds of annoyance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try being a loud hiccupper.

Especially when you get them randomly. Just walking along and suddenly you go HUURK at the top of your voice like you just had a heart attack.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The real iosm is the sneeze debates we had along the way.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

OwlFancier posted:

Especially when you get them randomly. Just walking along and suddenly you go HUURK at the top of your voice like you just had a heart attack.

My hiccups always sound like I'm choking, I've legit had strangers ask my partner if I'm choking in restaurants and if they should call an ambulance. It's even worse when I've got the farts and hiccups at the same time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's utterly meaningless. Anyone can be a loud sneezer. It's a autonomic response that functions by drawing in large amounts of air then creating strong pressure by forcefully and quickly expelling it, it will make noise. Deal with the five seconds of annoyance this completely innocuous physiological function inspires in you and move on instead of believing that everyone should change some harmless aspect of themselves to spare you those five seconds of annoyance.

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. There are people (and yeah, pretty much exclusively men) who actually, like, yell when they sneeze. They're not just sneezing loudly, they're vocalising at the same time and they could definitely not do that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

See, I know that loud sneezing isn't sex-based or behavioral at all, but every loud sneezer I've ever met (I'm talking 'throws their voice into sneezing' not just 'real hefty sneeze by itself') has been a guy that likes being loud. Everywhere else on the sneeze spectrum is all over the place, but the ones whose sneezes have vocalizations? Exclusively loud men.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
On the opposite spectrum are women whose sneezes are a quiet "fwip" and they act super embarassed about it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Loud sneezer even when trying to be quiet, used to get me in trouble at school as a kid. It’s involuntary and I wish I could be quieter so people don’t think I’m being deliberately obnoxious

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Just letting go with a sneeze is extremely satisfying, though. Not really something you can do in public because it tends to be incompatible with covering your mouth, but if you're alone outside or at home and you can just let it rip through your body, it's very, very refreshing and rarely quiet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it that controversial to say that men (especially large men and white men) are generally socialized to act like they own whatever space they’re in? Unnecessary loud belching and sneezing is included in that in my experience, and are almost always men.

It’s like “manspreading.” It’s kinda silly as a concept but also I’ve never seen two women somehow take up six seats on the bus.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my first grade teacher sneezed like this:

AAAH *snort* chiw

The "chiw" part was super high pitched and definitely just her saying it in her normal voice, the actual sneeze part was the snort

Like the snort wasn't feminine enough, so she tacked on the "chiw" to recover her honor

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

OwlFancier posted:

Oh my god I thought I was the only one.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah men who feel the need scream their lungs out when they sneeze are both real and loving obnoxious.

e: and it's always men

Beartaco has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it that controversial to say that men (especially large men and white men) are generally socialized to act like they own whatever space they’re in? Unnecessary loud belching and sneezing is included in that in my experience, and are almost always men.

It’s like “manspreading.” It’s kinda silly as a concept but also I’ve never seen two women somehow take up six seats on the bus.

So clearly you've never been around Asian people if you think large white men are the only ones that unnecessarily loudly belch and sneeze

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think engaging your vocal cords is somewhat involuntary when you sneeze. Some people do it, some people don't, but learning not to do it is kinda difficult.

Also I've given myself nosebleeds trying to suppress a sneeze before so I can see why people might not want to do it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Guilty posted:

So clearly you've never been around Asian people if you think large white men are the only ones that unnecessarily loudly belch and sneeze

What about my 74-yr old Dad, who worked a 12-hr shift at Columbia last night and almost got jumped by some idiot wearing a BLM shirt while walking on 175th & Fort Washington? Thank God the CUMC public security car was making its rounds AS that was happening. And what about Lightfoot’s violence in Chicago, where she refuses to acknowledge the horrendous death that just keeps piling up on her streets and she refuses to do anything about it? How is any of this defensible to anyone?

This is meant to transition our country into a Marxism society enslaved by the modern-day Brown Shirts... aka the Peacekeepers. This is beyond Trump. I agree with you on every value you share, and I am with you that any form of war is wasteful and horrible. But those who are behind this are out for you and me. This isn’t about race or Trump, even though he is trying to preserve this nation (counterintuitive, I know). This is a much broader geopolitical game that will worsen before Nov. 3rd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/sainsburys/status/1286275914926632961

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've always tried to sneeze as quiet as possible pretty much my entire life, and been mocked for sounding like Chimpmunk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The best way to learn to sneeze quietly is to break some ribs. Sneezing is terrifying with freshly broken ribs.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What about my 74-yr old Dad, who worked a 12-hr shift at Columbia last night and almost got jumped by some idiot wearing a BLM shirt while walking on 175th & Fort Washington?

Read: my 74 year old dad saw a black dude on the street, I filled in the details in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😖🤧... 😳 scuse me