Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I maintain that the plot in this game is very much not dumb nor is it nonsense or inscrutible or any of that. It's your average apocalyptic science fiction story stretched out into a 50 hour video game.

edit: I'm specifically referring to the themes and the way they are presented but I also don't think the plot itself is nonsense either. Read some golden-age sci fi sometime, your head will spin from just how hard subtlety is thrown out the window in some of the best and highest regarded writing from that era. You think the UCA cuff links is over the top symbolism? You ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to sci fi and speculative fiction.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the plot's ok if you ignore most of the dialog but the dialog is unceasingly repetitive at times

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I use DS as a foil to people who say Kojima games are obfuscated or inscrutable. Death Stranding is scrutable. Achingly, sometimes embarrassingly scrutable. Kojima desperately wants you to know what he means.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Silly question for those who have completed the game

which chapter does the cutscene factor really ramp up in? I'm just at the start of chapter 10 and if its gonna be soon I'd rather put it down now but if its one of the later chapters I'm gonna push on through

Not a silly question at all because I'm glad I knew what I was getting into. From the end of Chapter 12 through till the end of Chapter 14.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It also bothers me that people feel the need to qualify their "I enjoy it" with "it's bad, just incredibly irredeemably bad am I right guys", not just for Death Stranding but for anything with apparent flaws. You're doing yourself a disservice. Own your enjoyment of it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 22, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lobok posted:

Not a silly question at all because I'm glad I knew what I was getting into. From the end of Chapter 12 through till the end of Chapter 14.

Thats grand thank you think I'll crack on for another chapter or 2 tonight

night slime
May 14, 2014

grate deceiver posted:

omfg, why is there a Call of Duty sequence in this :/

Someone before speculated it's because they made the game out of order and had to piece it together. I think that gameplay is some of the first you saw in the trailers.

People rag on the story a lot but it gave me a lot to think about and chew on later...I think it might not have the best delivery but it does invoke a bunch of interesting general concepts, which you don't see often in games.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Lobok posted:

If you want to free up bandwidth, all other things being equal, you could lengthen the amount of distance some of your zip anchors go and therefore use fewer of them. Or eliminate ones that are the closest to each facility so it's less convenient but gives you more to use to expand the network in general.

Yeah, I've been working to set them up exactly 300m apart as much as possible. I'm thinking tonight to revise a couple placements to reduce the needed stops as well. I went through and dismantled the stuff that the story forces you to build as well. I honestly haven't had to build very much, a lot of shared stuff has been super useful, I'm just not seeing others' ziplines or really any road-building, so I'm still curious about that specifically. I'll JFGI I guess.

Really digging the game but echoing some of the eye-rolling about the story. I feel it requires some really active suspension of disbelief and some of the dialogue is just so :lol: it takes me out of it. On the other hand, I'm finding it kind of charming. Fragile's proclivity for eating the tardigrades is making me think it might be important plot-wise. Mama's BT baby though threw me for a loop, it doesn't feel internally-consistent with the existing lore about the BT's and I'm hoping it'll eventually make sense once I finally get back to the story

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thats grand thank you think I'll crack on for another chapter or 2 tonight

Keep in mind that you will often need to participate at some point. There's never a full-on movie length cutscene, they're broken up into long scenes that require some input or activity from you in between.

cmpterjones posted:

Yeah, I've been working to set them up exactly 300m apart as much as possible. I'm thinking tonight to revise a couple placements to reduce the needed stops as well. I went through and dismantled the stuff that the story forces you to build as well. I honestly haven't had to build very much, a lot of shared stuff has been super useful, I'm just not seeing others' ziplines or really any road-building, so I'm still curious about that specifically. I'll JFGI I guess.

Sorry, to be more clear what I meant was building some or all at the 350 maximum, but that takes a bit more preparation since you either have to bring along the materials needed to upgrade the anchor to level 2 as soon as you build it in order to connect backward to the previous anchor or upgrade an anchor to level 2 so that you can build the next one at 350 without making it level 2 right away.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cmpterjones posted:

Really digging the game but echoing some of the eye-rolling about the story. I feel it requires some really active suspension of disbelief and some of the dialogue is just so :lol: it takes me out of it. On the other hand, I'm finding it kind of charming. Fragile's proclivity for eating the tardigrades is making me think it might be important plot-wise. Mama's BT baby though threw me for a loop, it doesn't feel internally-consistent with the existing lore about the BT's and I'm hoping it'll eventually make sense once I finally get back to the story

Yeah, there's a reason Fragile is always eating the cryptobites. And Mama's stuff is explained later.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I'm having a pretty annoying issue that is harshing my vibe.

Seems like whenever I'm driving a vehicle, the game pauses frequently to load some assets. At first I thought it's a memory issue and maybe I'm going faster than it's able to load terrain, but after some testing it looks like it only happens when I get to close to a settlement/bunker. In the wilderness I can drive for days with no issues. If I dismount just before a bunker and approach on foot, it's fine. But if I drive a bike, it can pause even up to three times - once when I get close, once by the entrance, and once when going down the ramp.

Super annoying, hope we get another patch soon.

I had a ton of Now Loading issues & crashes, eventually fixed it after doing all three of these things:

1) Upgrade to newest Windows build (2004), which I had to do manually here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2) Controller settings as described here, adding a bit of delay to "Fire End" on all buttons: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/hrskbo/megathread_issues_with_death_stranding_on_pc_read/fyhlr35/
3) Memory for Streaming set to default

Since then I've put in about 20-30 more hours with maybe a few seconds of loading time, where before it would happen every 10-15 mins for 30-60 seconds.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

CJacobs posted:

I maintain that the plot in this game is very much not dumb nor is it nonsense or inscrutible or any of that. It's your average apocalyptic science fiction story stretched out into a 50 hour video game.

edit: I'm specifically referring to the themes and the way they are presented but I also don't think the plot itself is nonsense either. Read some golden-age sci fi sometime, your head will spin from just how hard subtlety is thrown out the window in some of the best and highest regarded writing from that era. You think the UCA cuff links is over the top symbolism? You ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to sci fi and speculative fiction.

Yeah, It definitely isn't hard to get what it's going for. I guess what I tried to say is that it's extremely anime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That I do agree with although I do not see it as a bad thing, but it may just be because my brain cells died long ago.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, It definitely isn't hard to get what it's going for. I guess what I tried to say is that it's extremely anime.

Especially the Junk Dealer storyline, good lord.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Halfway through chapter 10

If i was 13 i would be utterly nuts about this game in a way i was for MGS1 back in the day

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's something very appealing about punting in a little effort here and there into the highways and coming back to other players having finished them. :3:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Especially the Junk Dealer storyline, good lord.

Yeah, that whole thing was pretty out there. At first I wasn't clear on what "my girl" meant. That whole hologram with her goofing around with the hour glass seemed like, ok, that's a child, so she was his daughter, but no. The follow-on email just made me resent the guy even more. How are you going to be this comically surly jackass about "your girl" being dead? Then reuniting with her, marrying her, and then taking the time to email your UPS guy about how much it sucks being married after like 5 minutes.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Lobok posted:

Sorry, to be more clear what I meant was building some or all at the 350 maximum, but that takes a bit more preparation since you either have to bring along the materials needed to upgrade the anchor to level 2 as soon as you build it in order to connect backward to the previous anchor or upgrade an anchor to level 2 so that you can build the next one at 350 without making it level 2 right away.

Oh, for some reason I thought the upgrade only conferred a timefall resistance bonus, but that makes more sense. I'll bear that in mind, guess I have a use for all the special alloys at the MULE camp now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I use DS as a foil to people who say Kojima games are obfuscated or inscrutable. Death Stranding is scrutable. Achingly, sometimes embarrassingly scrutable. Kojima desperately wants you to know what he means.

I think his penchant for being extremely on-the-nose and heavy with symbolism has to be in some part because no matter how explicit you make symbolism, some people will always just treat it like people are over analyzing or looking too into things that aren't there. Heck even straight up warning sign or navigation symbols seem mystical to some.

Question bout building up highways, is it always just by those pylon things and are those pre-set by the game or what? I know ziplines and some sort of hoverboard are coming, but is there ever a way to got get materials from one of my 5 star bunkers and bring it over to these highways?

Also, I haven't made the effort myself yet, but can you climb all the mountains and poo poo? There's a pretty snowcapped mountain on this lake island segment place. Is it a matter of some cliffs just being too high to ever ladder up over, or straight up invisible wall style barriers long before mountain peaks?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 22, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I miss playing this game. Looking forward to playing it again on PC whenever I get something new. I’m not embarrassed to say that I think Kojima owns still.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Khanstant posted:

Question bout building up highways, is it always just by those pylon things and are those pre-set by the game or what? I know ziplines and some sort of hoverboard are coming, but is there ever a way to got get materials from one of my 5 star bunkers and bring it over to these highways?

Roads are only constructed by the auto-pavers through predetermined routes, you don't get the option to free build them wherever you want. They're absolutely worth completing since they let you get from place to place without having to worry about running out of energy and won't be obsolete even when you have an established network of ziplines. You can only haul what Sam can personally carry on a zipline, you'll still occasionally have to make large deliveries that require the use of a truck and will always want the roads in that case.

quote:

Also, I haven't made the effort myself yet, but can you climb all the mountains and poo poo? There's a pretty snowcapped mountain on this lake island segment place. Is it a matter of some cliffs just being too high to ever ladder up over, or straight up invisible wall style barriers long before mountain peaks?

Apparently the tutorial zone has some invisible walls but I've never run into one so far. If you wanted to go climb the giant mountain in the central region as soon as you got there you could do so, it would just take a while without exoskeletons/roads/ziplines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Khanstant posted:

The road locations are all pre-set and built by those auto-pavers, yeah. I seem to remember what it's doing is rebuilding roads that used to be there. The game will tell you if you ever try to build something that is in the way of a future road.

As for your mountain question, I'd probably leave that until later when the game makes you go up into the mountains. Ladders can help you scale mountains but it's probably not worth the effort to try to scale something without a clear goal on the top or other side you're trying to get to.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Apparently the tutorial zone has some invisible walls but I've never run into one so far. If you wanted to go climb the giant mountain in the central region as soon as you got there you could do so, it would just take a while without exoskeletons/roads/ziplines.
I don't think you can go straight south over the mountains from Wind Farm

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

wyoak posted:

I don't think you can go straight south over the mountains from Wind Farm

I meant more that they don't hide invisible walls or add completely impassable terrain within the bounds of the world map as far as I can tell. Going by this video I would guess that all the edges of the map have some form of seemingly impassible terrain and then an actual invisible wall if you somehow cheese your way over that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The main way to scale cliffs or mountains is with your feet or with ladders and to transition between ladders you still need some kind of small outcropping to stand on and place them so you can usually tell pretty quickly where the game doesn't want you to go because the places you're not expected to climb will be sheer walls with no place to stand. I spent too much time trying to figure out how to go over the relatively small ridge of rock that separates the Chiral Artist and the facility just south of her because it would have been way better to go that way then around the whole lake and through BTs. (Eventually I covered most of it with ziplines).

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

CJacobs posted:

It also bothers me that people feel the need to qualify their "I enjoy it" with "it's bad, just incredibly irredeemably bad am I right guys", not just for Death Stranding but for anything with apparent flaws. You're doing yourself a disservice. Own your enjoyment of it.

Not what I said at all.

I enjoy the gameplay, not so much the writing. I really don't see how commenting about what I enjoy about a title does myself a disservice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was just a general complaint, not about anyone specific, it's been going on in this thread since day one of the original release. My point is that many people act insecure in their opinion of the game because they don't want to get flak from others for saying they like it and that's fuckin lame. This applies to many things in life.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Wasn't the dlc supposed to drop with the PC release? Has there been any info on that?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ziplines have no business being as cheap as they are when these auto paver sections are costing me like 7000 metal for a tiny patch of road that runs directly through a terrorist camp.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Ok, well, some questions answered now, I like the direction this is headed in.

I'm caught up on the Mama/Målingen/Lockne/BT baby thing, that's a good fit for the story now in my head. Pretty heavy, a little awkward, but I liked how they closed the loop there.

Following that with the shower scene though, I could not hear whatever the gently caress Deadman was talking about because I was laughing too drat hard. That was some hilariously awkward poo poo and I'm shocked this hasn't somehow been spoiled for me at this point. It just kept escalating as the scene played out and I could not remotely pay attention to the dialogue. That was completely out of left field and it has absolutely won me over on the story, I hope there's more wacky poo poo like that ahead..

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sam it's booze chugman. I need you to pick up some timefall porter and bring it to lake knot city for me. It's important that the cargo is delivered while it's still cold, so you should probably take a vehicle to carry it. I know it's a lot to ask, but we strung you along for the entire second act by promising you we were almost done rebooting your BB while you got lost in two severe weather events and also WWII so you're just going to get me my suds and I'm gonna tell you it's important work you're doing for america okay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cmpterjones posted:

I'm caught up on the Mama/Målingen/Lockne/BT baby thing, that's a good fit for the story now in my head. Pretty heavy, a little awkward, but I liked how they closed the loop there.

Following that with the shower scene though, I could not hear whatever the gently caress Deadman was talking about because I was laughing too drat hard. That was some hilariously awkward poo poo and I'm shocked this hasn't somehow been spoiled for me at this point. It just kept escalating as the scene played out and I could not remotely pay attention to the dialogue. That was completely out of left field and it has absolutely won me over on the story, I hope there's more wacky poo poo like that ahead..

The part that really sold it for me was that Sam just got more and more uncomfortable and panicked because he hates human contact and instead he's got fuckin mister cadaver haggis here cornering him in the goddamn shower

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cmpterjones posted:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that the codex entries for the fragile things all mention porters being brought to tears at the thought of having to deliver snowflakes or soap bubbles.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:five: :five: :five:

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the main storyline. Like a lot of Kojima games, it can be sometimes hard to follow and bizarre, but also unique, deeply felt and meaningful in a way that makes you want to dig in and understand the weird details of how everything in this world works and ties together. The themes are clear, and where the themes are reflected in gameplay is sublime, but some of the expository plot details get confusing. They got great performances out of their professional actors, some of the best VA I've seen in a game, and they should really consider some professional screenwriters and editors to help communicate these ideas more clearly and succinctly.

Anyway, 60 hours in a little over a week, and still so much more I intend to do before I'm done. Great game, up there w/ Sekiro for favorite games of the past few years.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Sam... rear end Wideman here. I'm trying to help you connect America, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the BTs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Sam... rear end Wideman here. I'm trying to help you connect America, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the BTs.

Finally games are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The realisation of the task ahead of you at the start of chapter 10 is brilliant

what a game