Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, now I'm officially interested in this season to see which clubs stencil "BLM", which stencil "United For Change", and which stencil nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Ideally, pitchers would be able to bean Astros players at will, and if anyone comes out of the dugout they would be suspended.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ok, fine. the blue jays can play at my place.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I pitched to my 13-year-olds team this afternoon. it made me feel like a dominant super pitcher. I imagine sort of like how a major league pitcher would feel pitching to me, or how Pedro Martinez felt pitching to big leaguers

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 23, 2020

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm so glad that we're going to get mookie in a real year too, I was afraid corona was gonna eat our rental of him up

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
https://twitter.com/buster_espn/status/1286077965953110018?s=10

gently caress this poo poo

There's never going to be a good World Series again

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Expanded playoffs own.

This year is a fraud season that will likely get shutdown halfway through anyway. Might as well go full chaosball.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, now I'm officially interested in this season to see which clubs stencil "BLM", which stencil "United For Change", and which stencil nothing at all.

Cap'n Jack Flaherty already said the Cards are going to stencil BLM

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/status/1286077965953110018?s=10

gently caress this poo poo

There's never going to be a good World Series again

16 team post season is asinine. If this becomes a thing after this year I'll stop watching baseball.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

16 team post season is asinine. If this becomes a thing after this year I'll stop watching baseball.

I can't possibly imagine caring about anything as much as this guy seems to care about arbitrary rules governing professional baseball competition

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

I can't possibly imagine caring about anything as much as this guy seems to care about arbitrary rules governing professional baseball competition

What? You do understand and the arbitrary rules are the literal definition of the game right? If I don't like the rules I'll stop watching the game.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd oppose 16 teams in normal years because having more than half of the teams getting into the playoffs makes it feel much less meaningful when a team does get in. This year, gently caress it, who cares. 60 games is nearly a playoff anyway since there is only a tiny handful of teams that you couldn't imagine pulling together a Cinderella run over 80ish total games.

edit: The worst thing about this short season is that it makes it a lot less likely for Miggy being able to get to 500 home runs on his career.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 23, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

What? You do understand and the arbitrary rules are the literal definition of the game right? If I don't like the rules I'll stop watching the game.

sounds good man. I will enjoy watching additional playoff baseball while you pursue other activities I guess

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

sounds good man. I will enjoy watching additional playoff baseball while you pursue other activities I guess

Good one? You showed me or something.

Shiroc posted:

I'd oppose 16 teams in normal years because having more than half of the teams getting into the playoffs makes it feel much less meaningful when a team does get in. This year, gently caress it, who cares. 60 games is nearly a playoff anyway since there is only a tiny handful of teams that you couldn't imagine pulling together a Cinderella run over 80ish total games.

edit: The worst thing about this short season is that it makes it a lot less likely for Miggy being able to get to 500 home runs on his career.

Oh yeah, this season doesn't matter at all; gently caress it do weird stuff it's gonna be weird regardless.

My main gripe about extending the playoffs is that it cheapens both the post and regular season to the point where it stops really mattering to me.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Scrap the faux season and do a 30 team double elimination tournament

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't want expanded playoffs because it'd mean the Mariners could no longer win 90 games and miss the playoffs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest, I think MLB is doing it right. Because like in any other situation I'd be all "yeah, I don't like that, I love that baseball awards the best teams long term and makes the playoffs meaningful". But like, I'm just exhausted so its real smart to cram in as much poo poo as possible right now when we can't focus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe with 16 teams the Marlins can sneak in and break that 16 year playoff drought

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe with 16 teams the Marlins can sneak in and break that 16 year playoff drought

Every time the Marlins get to the playoffs they win the Series. Miami still holds a plague parade for them.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The Marlins are going to win their third World Series before they win their first division championship.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1286090677223292929?s=19

Evergreen tweet

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
lol if the PA's answer to expanded playoffs isn't "we get 95% or go gently caress yourself"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1286128218769154051

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, apparently Trout is going to play this year.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1286064710920503296

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's a 60 game season. Who cares what the playoffs are. It's already insanity.

Also

LOL Red Sox

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

If this clown season ends up with some kind of health problem for Trout then I'll be really pissed

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I listened to like 7 episodes of Effectively wild today so I'm fuckin ready but also sad because it's unlikely that mike trout will continue his streak of having the highest career war of any position player before the age of <mike trout's age> this year. unless he puts up like 5.4 war in 60 games so hey the dream's not dead yet

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins have won a World Series since the last time the Mariners were in the playoffs :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Cubs broke the world in 2016, maybe we need the Mariners to fix it in 2020 :hmmyes:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Stroman injured, Syndergaard injured. Mets' year is already down. Then Drew Smith is recovering from TJ surgery too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So the Mets will win the world series, gotcha

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

So the Mets will win the world series, gotcha

You gotta believe!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Happy bizarro opening day, everybody!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1286266890919260161

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I can't believe baseball is back. This is loving stupid, but I'm actually looking forward to watching.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/PaulPabst/status/1286286922315374599

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LOL what a disaster

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

[quote="MorrisBae" post="506713076"]
https://twitter.com/PaulPabst/status/1286286922315374599
[quote]
Being ranked below literally nowhere has got to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They have to build a clubhouse in Baltimore but that is more likely than Buffalo??