Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buy something cheap with an SSD. It'll be way faster than what you have. You could even look into buying a used business laptop, those tend to go for cheap as well. Just don't buy something that still has a regular mechanical hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Buy something cheap with an SSD. It'll be way faster than what you have. You could even look into buying a used business laptop, those tend to go for cheap as well. Just don't buy something that still has a regular mechanical hard drive.

Or if you do get something with a mechanical drive (because it was a good deal) factor in $50 for an SSD.

It really just depends on your budget.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

#1 priority should be a backup solution of any kind, because 'I can't wipe the disk because it's got my files on it' is just an unnecessarily terrible place to be.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Future Son posted:

So my pc is >10years old and still runs on Windows XP. Almost no software runs on it anymore since the world has abandoned my OS, and it has gotten too slow even for opening websites. I don’t think anything is mechanically wrong, but maybe something is dying.

I thought about trying some budget upgrades to the RAM, maybe new video card, but I was going to start by updating to Windows 10. I was trying to load 10, which failed, and then I read the only way to go from XP to 10 would require me to delete all my files which I’m not going to do.

So should I just buy a new pc at this point, and start over?

There was a time when I felt a little tech savvy and could do things for myself but now I’m just feeling very old and confused. My big concern with buying new is i can’t justify the budget to get something very nice since we just had a baby. But if I go cheap I don’t think I’m going to end up much better off than if I’d just upgrade what I have.

Yeah, as you've surmised you need to (a) backup your files, (b) flatten and install something that isn't horribly insecure, and (c) do not run any executables from your backup ever because that computer quite possibly hasn't belonged just to you for a while now.

Reasonable upgrades for your >10 year old PC include buying a cheap SSD instead of whatever old hard drive, seeing if someone has some old RAM you could use, and upgrading your video card. What kind of processor does it have? At that point you could probably buy a new or maybe used computer that's much better than what you have for pretty cheap.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If there's any alternative, I wouldn't put a cent into upgrading a computer that old. Even the cheapest PCs on the market today are going to be a significant improvement over that thing, upgrades notwithstanding.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Guitarchitect posted:

what's the best benchmarking software nowadays? i manage the purchasing for an arch firm of around 90 people and i'm looking to see how photoshop, illustrator, revit, autocad, etc will perform on some new and existing machines (Lenovo computers, Surface Pro computers, etc). There's only so much i can glean from online reviews (they don't often compare the systems I'm comparing) and only so many personal tests I can do.

Check out what Linus Tech Tips use to benchmark. They do games as well, but I'm fairly certain they use Cinebench, 3dmark and some form of Blender test file.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 20, 2020

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Whoops, double post...

the_lion fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 20, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

If there's any alternative, I wouldn't put a cent into upgrading a computer that old. Even the cheapest PCs on the market today are going to be a significant improvement over that thing, upgrades notwithstanding.

You can buy off lease Dells for around $120 that include a quad core processor, 8gb of ram and a 256gb SSD. One of these systems would be light years ahead of whatever system you have now AND be much more secure.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233528220736

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the_lion posted:

Check out what Linus Tech Tips use to benchmark. They do games as well, but I'm fairly certain they use Cinebench, 3dmark and some form of Blender test file.

Might also be worth looking at Puget Systems’ benchmarks if those are still a thing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If I want a windows without crapware like Cortana but I'm OK with being on the bleeding-edge for stuff like WSL2, can I install Windows 10 LTSC and then enable the Insiders channel, even though it looks like a contradiction on its face?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it worth it to get pay for the premium versions of either MalwareBytes or BitDefender? Other than the fact that it'd prevent MB from popping up annoying ads on my task bar...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Johnny Truant posted:

Is it worth it to get pay for the premium versions of either MalwareBytes or BitDefender? Other than the fact that it'd prevent MB from popping up annoying ads on my task bar...

No. Windows Defender is as good a virus & malware protection as you should normally need.

VVV edit: "snake oil" is overly harsh, they just aren't any better than Defender. stuff like cccleaner and other "clean your registry" stuff is snake oil.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 23, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Johnny Truant posted:

Third party antivirus is snake oil at best and actively harmful to your security at worst, you shouldn't be using any version of that software. Modern Windows has all the security it needs built right in. Keep your OS and software up to date; and have a good quality ad blocker installed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

No. Windows Defender is as good a virus & malware protection as you should normally need.

The Lord Bude posted:

Third party antivirus is snake oil at best and actively harmful to your security at worst, you shouldn't be using any version of that software. Modern Windows has all the security it needs built right in. Keep your OS and software up to date; and have a good quality ad blocker installed.

:fry:

Didn't know that at all, thanks! Gonna uninstall it now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

They backported the new Edge to Windows 8.1, this is neat.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

And Windows 7 too, oddly? Probably a hail mary to gain marketshare even on an unsupported OS (that they know people prefer over 10 still after all these years lol)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Flipperwaldt posted:

They backported the new Edge to Windows 8.1, this is neat.

:colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol I lasted 45 min with edge.

It imported all my tabs and stuff from chrome (cool). Used it for a bit and it seemed nice enough.

Closed edge.

Opened edge and all my tabs were gone lol.

Back to chrome it is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Microsoft has trouble with the "retain user settings" thing across the board, I think they figure their users flatten and reinstall so often that clearing out sessions or other config settings isn't really a big deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Microsoft has trouble with the "retain user settings" thing across the board, I think they figure their users flatten and reinstall so often that clearing out sessions or other config settings isn't really a big deal.

Spoilers!

It is a big deal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about the silly poo poo it does when dragging windows between two monitors with different resolutions? :suicide:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

How about the silly poo poo it does when dragging windows between two monitors with different resolutions? :suicide:

I'm still irritated that if I pick a different resolution in a game it fucks my desktop and windows up after I exit the game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

I've never had any problem with this, are your monitors set to different % scaling? Windows is still quite crap at DPI scaling so I could see that being crazy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

I've never had any problem with this, are your monitors set to different % scaling? Windows is still quite crap at DPI scaling so I could see that being crazy.

No, same scale. But the second monitor is significantly smaller (4k vs 1080). I actually just hosed around with it for 10 minutes to try and figure out the specifics and it doesn't happen every time, but it can be triggered pretty reliably.

Take a window from the large monitor and drag it to the small screen and full-screen it by putting the mouse at the top edge. Next time you drag that window anywhere it will be sized to about 95% the size of the smaller screen. Next, with the same window make it some large size on the large monitor. Drag it to the middle of the small monitor, let go the mouse, then click again and drag it to the top edge. Now it will remember the old size when you drag it off full screen.

So I guess what I thought was random resizing of my windows was just me sometimes moving a window around differently than other times.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Spoilers!

It is a big deal

Oh, for sure. I imagine even after 2004 is out of beta testing, some settings will still get cleared out upon installing it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've been using chromium edge for a pretty long time now and I've never encountered a problem with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've been using chromium edge for a pretty long time now and I've never encountered a problem with it.

What is the difference between that and Microsoft Edge? Or is that the same thing?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The Lord Bude posted:

Same. New Edge is really good. The "don't reopen my tabs" setting is part of Chromium. I.e. That part works the same as on Chrome. I don't mean bmto be negative, but could it have been user error?

Or were you referring to open tabs sync across devices? If so, that feature doesn't exist yet (though it's on the roadmap). I could understand why that would be a feature you can't work without.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

What is the difference between that and Microsoft Edge? Or is that the same thing?

Microsoft edge used to be a browser built from the ground up by Microsoft; until they decided to scrap it and build a new browser based on chromium (most browsers other than Firefox and safari are based on chromium - google chrome is chromium + google stuff; the new edge is chromium + Microsoft stuff instead). If you have the newest version of Windows 10 you should have the new edge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Same. New Edge is really good. The "don't reopen my tabs" setting is part of Chromium. I.e. That part works the same as on Chrome. I don't mean bmto be negative, but could it have been user error?

Or were you referring to open tabs sync across devices? If so, that feature doesn't exist yet (though it's on the roadmap). I could understand why that would be a feature you can't work without.

Na I had to go in and change the settings to reopen all the tabs when closed. It was automatically set to open a new tab.

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft edge used to be a browser built from the ground up by Microsoft; until they decided to scrap it and build a new browser based on chromium (most browsers other than Firefox and safari are based on chromium - google chrome is chromium + google stuff; the new edge is chromium + Microsoft stuff instead). If you have the newest version of Windows 10 you should have the new edge.

Ah ok got it. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it runs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That was a sincere statement in the first place!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NihilCredo posted:

If I want a windows without crapware like Cortana but I'm OK with being on the bleeding-edge for stuff like WSL2, can I install Windows 10 LTSC and then enable the Insiders channel, even though it looks like a contradiction on its face?
LTSC doesn't support the Insiders channel because it doesn't receive feature updates.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Is there some system monitoring tool for windows that isn't as ungodly complex as grafana but still has a web interface? I just want a way to see a cpu load and core temperature graph in a web browser instead of having to remote into the system.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
. Wrong thread.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've had some strange behaviour with language packs disappearing and reappearing on windows 10. I use several, because I write in two languages and while my keys fit my native language, it's sometimes useful to have the keyboard set to an english set-up even if it doesn't match the keys. US english (US keyboard) vanished from the settings yesterday and it wasn't available for installation from language settings either. I installed UK english and keyboard instead. Today, US is suddenly back.

This is kinda loving with my workflow since I have to switch languages on the go in class.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK this is driving me up a wall and I can't figure out how its happening or even why! My PC is pretty much on 24/7 but somehow windows is losing time! Like right now its about 55 seconds off the correct time and before I manually had to sync it the time was off by a good 5 min.

This is what the time settings is showing.

Obviously if I sync it the time goes back to the correct time but shouldn't it be doing that automatically?

How am I losing time???

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Replace the battery on your motherboard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Replace the battery on your motherboard.

Well yeah I thought that but the computer is like never off.

Also windows doesn't seem to be syncing the time like it should.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Did you disable HPET?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

Did you disable HPET?

I don't know what that is so I'm gonna guess I did not.

Edit: Looking at the device manager HPET is enabled.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 24, 2020