Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, both Perdomo and everything AJ Fernandez I've tried has been firmly "not for me"

I suppose we're... taste buds.

Humidor, thankfully, is leveling out and flavors are getting back to where they're supposed to be. I'm definitely feeling some Padron smokes as my next pickup. Maybe Maduro 2000s.

Had a Tatuaje brown label Noella after breakfast. What a great smoke. Oily, woody. Very classic. Probably what pushed me to Padron territory again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Been in the middle of moving-cities-hell for weeks, first time I've been able to sit down and enjoy a decent stick for a while. Bobalu Tres Capas are good poo poo. Forget the look-at-me wrapper, they're a subtle solid smoke.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a San Cristobal Revelation Legend (6 1/4” x 52) and it was good but after I was finished I was left with what I can only describe as the after taste of pretzels in my mouth. It started to come out towards the end of the cigar and is now the dominant flavor in my memory. Is that normal? I thought maybe I was smoking too fast and it got too hot so I tried to slow down but I’m still here in pretzel world.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Whoa! I'll have to look out for that next time I smoke it.

I usually get a lot of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a creamy kind of base to carry it all. I can definitely see that coming across salty.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Whoa! I'll have to look out for that next time I smoke it.

I usually get a lot of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a creamy kind of base to carry it all. I can definitely see that coming across salty.

I don’t know that it was normal, I’m wondering if the sandwich I ate earlier in the day somehow caused it. If the bread flavor stuck around + the smoke or something like that. It was hours apart though and I drank a lot of water in between. I’m going to have to get another one to try it again.

Edit: from a cursory googling and thinking about yesterday, I may have slightly burnt my tongue last night when I was drunk and supposedly that can cause things to taste salty. I don’t know if that’s true or not but it would explain this. I’m smoking a Four Kicks and it’s a dope cigar but the end I’m starting to get a similar effect probably because the smoke at the end is hotter. This could be completely wrong but I’m going with it for now.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 20, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oof burned tongue is the worst.

My Father Centurion H-2K-CT still loving rules. Just very into everything this cigar has to offer. Cream, cereal, spice, good anytime body while staying on the strong side.

Relating to my other hobby, I've finally gotten a CNC machine an the makerspace I volunteer at up and running. I made sure I had a good bit to do some fun cigar trays and a local lumber place sells Spanish cedar. Been a great weekend!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yo, if you're into making cigar accessories and stuff I'd pay a very fair price for some custom cigar goon things, that sounds cool as hell.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have been doodling up a modernist inspired individual cigar holder and ashtray 3D printed with high temp resin. I just need work to give me some software access back :v:

I've got a few things I'm noodling around with and believe me, once they're done I'll be posting all up in this thread about it.

Presentation tray is high on the list for simplicity, getting out to the dang place is the hard part!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a La Barba Ricochet. It was well constructed and pretty good. Flavors seemed like they were all over the place with a lot of spice in the first half but the last third sort of focused in a bit on a chocolate/sweet finish.

What cigars do you guys buy boxes of/always keep on hand and why? Obviously everyone's tastes and cost tolerance will be different but I'm curious. I assume I will find my preferred cigars for different purposes/occasions but I'm not ready to buy boxes yet. I still have a stupid number of cigars to try. Eventually I would probably like to have a box of my go to for a nice relaxing smoke on the back porch, mild cigars for friends and if I'm feeling something easy, special occasion cigars, etc. Or I guess as a follow up question, how often do you buy boxes versus singles?

Also put me on the list of people who will purchase goon crafted cigar accessories.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's definitely easier to buy boxes if you have people to split them with. I can justify having 7-10 of a given smoke more easily than 20-24. That said, I'll probably be keeping a box of Flor de last Antillas around, since it's a personal favorite and something I'm basically always in the mood for.

NewFatMike posted:

I have been doodling up a modernist inspired individual cigar holder and ashtray 3D printed with high temp resin. I just need work to give me some software access back :v:

I've got a few things I'm noodling around with and believe me, once they're done I'll be posting all up in this thread about it.

Presentation tray is high on the list for simplicity, getting out to the dang place is the hard part!

Super looking forward to seeing the stuff you make. Speaking of cigar accessories, I picked up the PerfecDraw and it definitely helped smoke the Romeo by RyJ Churchill today. I really enjoyed the Romeo robusto, which is 5x54. The Churchill, at 7x56 I mostly bought cause it was the biggest cigar at Total Wine and I figured it was a safer bet since I knew I'd enjoyed the robusto. To be honest, I don't think it's an interesting enough cigar to be that big. Once I opened it up with the PerfecDraw it lit up just fine, and pretty tasty for the first hour or so, but by the last 3rd the flavor felt like it was flagging and I felt like I was over it.

So far I've not been convinced by any of the really large cigars I've tried. I'd love to find a Churchill that's worth the time investment, but I think I'm starting to skew a bit more towards smaller vitolas.

Oh right, I also got some shelves for my humidor:

Much more organized!

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I always keep Padron around: core line, 1964, or 1926. Or really, try to. They disappear from my humidor, it’s weird.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
1964 corona size is the loving best padron.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

1964 corona size is the loving best padron.

It’s the best 1964 for sure.

The 1926 #47, however. Those disappear by the box.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve always preferred the 64s over the 26s even the anniversary editions.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh looks like I'll be checking out the 1964s sooner than later.

Regarding humidor regulars, I'm always keeping around:

San Cristobal Revelation Prophets
Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru No. 5s
La Aurora Corojo 1962 Churchill
Illusione Rothschildes
My Father Centurion H-2K-CT
Flor de Las Antillas Robusto

We try to keep around H. Upmann Regalias and Partagas Mille Fleurs, but budgets are limited, etc.

Luckily my partner and I both smoke cigars, so we get to spread cost across the both of us :v:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked an Alec Bradley Nica Puro. I think I’d have to smoke another one to really appreciate it as my boss called me right when I started smoking it and the hour long work call sort of ruined the vibe. Seemed like a fairly strong spicy cigar that might be pretty good.

I am bidding on some Illusione Rothschild singles and some jackass came in and bought up all 12 so I had to outbid him on two out of sheer spite. It’s probably at or around what I’d pay at a brick and mortar or just from CI ($6.50) but since I already have a shipment that will go out Thursday I’m factoring in the effort to go to a brick and mortar store or the extra shipping cost if I ordered it from CI.

A degenerate friend of mine is coming over tonight to smoke some cigars so I’m sure I’ll have an edit to this post shortly.

Edit: I have all of those cigars you mentioned (NewFatMike) on my list from the last thread and have I added the 1964 and 1926 Padron as well based on the last couple of posts.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I always had the following:
RASS
PLPC
R&J Cazzadores
R&J short Churchill’s
HDM petite robusto
Hupman half Coronas

No matter what those were always in my humidor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Arigatou gozaimasu on those Habanos. I've had a handful, but maybe I'll have a few more Habanos buys in me this year!

Always super happy to provide smokes info, and I love trading info with thread members <3

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
For Habanos that I keep on-hand:

RASS
BRC
RASCC
PLPC

Do not be lured by the Partagas Serie D No 4 hype, they are mediocre at best. You want full? Bolivar Royal Corona. You want not quite a full? RASS.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I haven’t even dipped my toes into that game. I’ll wait until travel resumes and my hops in and out Canada for trying to grab habanos.

I’m also going to take a week off from smoking cigars. I think I’ve destroyed my taste buds and mouth. I also just got a peloton so I’ll make that my focus for a week and then come back to it. I smoked a couple or cigars tonight and could barely taste them.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2020

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

15% sale on bulk C&D pipe tobacco until July 27:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

I haven’t even dipped my toes into that game. I’ll wait until travel resumes and my hops in and out Canada for trying to grab habanos.

I’m also going to take a week off from smoking cigars. I think I’ve destroyed my taste buds and mouth. I also just got a peloton so I’ll make that my focus for a week and then come back to it. I smoked a couple or cigars tonight and could barely taste them.

On Canada for Habanos: single cigars. Canada’s tobacco tax is stupid high. We have ways around this without going to Canada.

And yeah the loss of taste for cigars can happen. Particularly when you are smoking a lot of cigars in a day and keep doing that every day.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

ThatOneGuy posted:

Do not be lured by the Partagas Serie D No 4 hype, they are mediocre at best. You want full? Bolivar Royal Corona. You want not quite a full? RASS.

This is correct, and I'm not sure how much of the No. 4 hype is an actual marketing instruction from on high, or else brokebrains within the industry. It's the "cigariest" cigar I ever done smoke. If someone ever asked me for a cigar that tastes like 100% cigar I'd say the Serie D No 4 is the one, but it's not because it's an interesting, nuanced smoke with differences throughout to interest you or inform you of possibilities. It's like someone found a tobacco leaf that epitomised tobacco and made it into full-in-your-face smoking. To use an allusion, if someone asked you what a "guitar" sounded like, the guitariest guitar that done ever guitared, you could strike one powerchord, and let it ring out with your hand raised in the air holding a pick, that's a Series D No 4, but it doesn't actually give you any idea of what a guitar/cigar can do. It's just a raw "one-note" example, flexing on its muscle.

If I've sold you on the No 4, good. But buy one of them. It's worth smoking literally one of them to see what they are, because in a way it's foundational. But it's nothing more than a foundation.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The PSD4 is an ok cigar. I have never been a. Huge fan of partagas to be honest, except the 898s and even those I would put behind a lot of other cigars.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fully agree on PSD4; had a 2016 in the humidor for a few years, smoked it, enjoyed it, and never picked up more. $10+/cigar can get you much further elsewhere.

Got a Hamlet Tabaquero Bala for breakfast this morning:

I don't think the photo does it justice, this is a funky looking smoke. It's tapered, rounded at the foot with a little hole. Smells nice and musty like a good anejo. Really earthy, a little cedar, and just some hints of pepper. Feels a little like a Partagas - couldn't imagine why.

There is a growing sweetness that I am extremely about, so it's departing from the Partagas palate and becoming more its own thing. It's not cloying, but very natural. It has a "classic" kind of base now, about an inch and change in, that reminds me a lot of Padrons and La Auroras and I think what the Last Call by AJ Fernandez aims for. Toasty, earthy, and sweet.

I'm gonna smoke the rest of it instead of review, but if there is interest I do like to write full reviews on smokes. I have a few more of these, so the opportunity is there if there is a desire for it.

Great body/flavor density, but medium strength. It's not here to throw you around (an experience that I generally enjoy from heavy hitters).

I love odd vitolas. From a review perspective, it's a really great way to isolate build quality from blend quality. There's a lot of usual construction things you can find out, but if a weird looking tapered cigar like these or a Salomon both looks and smokes well, taste aside, you know you've got some pro level construction going on.

Not that that's really an issue with Hamlets - I frequently describe them as cigars with cigarette reliability. I generally have thought the blends are competent but not my favorite, and I'm coming around to a bit of a reversal on that. I don't know if it's older blends or just bad luck but the Nudies were fabulous, I really enjoy the 25th Anniversary blend, and this is threatening to be a regular member in my humidor.

Very glad I chose this to start my day - I'm taking a certification exam and setting yourself up for success is so important.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That looks like a Hamlet flying pig, just smaller.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Last night I tried to smoke an Oliva Serie O torpedo and it was unforgivably tightly-rolled. I could barely pull any air through it, and even after using the PerfecDraw multiple times it was only okay. I ended up abandoning it because I couldn't get enough air through it to keep combustion going. It sucks, cause it tasted really good and I was looking forward to enjoying it. I had a similar experience with some Serie V toros I got a few months ago. The leaves at the cap were so dense that as soon as they picked up any moisture from my mouth/the smoke they just laminated together. Super disappointing, since I'd hoped the Serie V I'd gotten were a fluke. Oh well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Super bummer! I wonder if dry boxing might be the way to go on those. I had a box of Por Larrañaga sticks that were plugged to hell and back right out of the humidor, but fine after a few hours in a travel humidor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, again, I live on the coast and my ambient humidity has been 70%-80% for the last couple months. Might have to just use some dry silica packets and a small tupperware to try and dry stuff out during the day, which is very silly problem to have.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean I wonder if an empty cigar box even in those conditions. Can't hurt? It's been pretty muggy here in Chicago and I'm finding some forgotten/returned to sticks are doing pretty well in ambient

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I had some trouble with one of the Serie V Maduro double robustos from a five pack that I got, the PerfecDraw seemed to fix it decently enough though. It seems to be their thicker cigars that have issues, the 54+ ring gauge ones up. I’ve never had a problem with an Oliva in terms of draw or burn with a smaller ring gauge.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

aye aye I am a man of risk taking perfidious poo poo on crappy cigar deals.

$64 for

2 x Montecristo Afrique Jambo
1 x The boneshaker.

These got stuck in my cart while watching the site for specials past, and I emailed them to get it out but eventually I I won $10 off coupon while they were still in my cart at various stages of mark down that they shouldn't have been and after comparing external prices plus the discount and the coupon I just bought the lot to be done with it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Ah yes, quality filler from the country of... Africa. A sure winner.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well that's odd what about Cameroon did you take fault with?

e: saw your "snow wolf" racing posts from past as well as:

quote:

I saw a reddit post I think of some dude that used some 250g springs on his daily but i'm pretty sure he was a literal gorilla
Think I gotcha on the 'African' filler, mate. cheers! ..

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 23, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was eyeing down the void of JR Cigar alternatives just the other day. There's some good mixed filler out there for super cheap, and those are long so I wonder if by "Cuban Experience" they mean it needs to sit in your humidor for a year or two :v:

For some cheap and cheerful, after this box of Padrons, I'm gonna pick up some of those EP Carrillo New Waves. Reviews are good and the price is VERY good. I miss having a bunch of coronas around (not the invisible kind).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

e: lol Newfatmike

CAO Brazilia vs macanudo inspirado green

GO!

We shouldn't all be posting $6-$15 per sticks.
I know you're digging on some cheap cigars and it's ok to talk about those too. Post 'em and talk about them. (no not your grape flavored blunt wraps but you get it).

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 23, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

We shouldn't all be posting $6-$15 per sticks.
I know you're digging on some cheap cigars and it's ok to talk about those too. Post 'em and talk about them. (no not your grape flavored blunt wraps but you get it).

I’m only smoking from the cheap seats right now but I’m trying to take a few days off. If you want a look into the bargain sampler world just follow my posts hah.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m personally only smoking expensive/vintage stuff because it’s all I have left. I’m trying not to spend any money on cigar until I run out. My favorite cheap sticks have always been PLPC and I used to get them for 4$/ea

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Big Beef City posted:

well that's odd what about Cameroon did you take fault with?

e: saw your "snow wolf" racing posts from past as well as:

Think I gotcha on the 'African' filler, mate. cheers! ..

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

The product page you linked says "Filler - Africa / Nicaragua / Peru" not Cameroon, like it says for the wrapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I *have* been posting some pricier sticks than I'm used to lately. I do try to keep under $6/stick but uhh hobbies do have a way of creeping up on us spending wise, I suppose.

PLPCs still go for around $4-5/stick, depending on how long you care to wait. Truly, right around $4-5/stick those H. Upmann Regalias and Partagas Mille Fleurs are :discourse:

I'm definitely going to pick up some fivers of this JR Alternatives nonsense. I can't not. Like $2/stick is worth the humidification it provides 😹