Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's a few hours left to get a score in, we have 7 so far. i'll do another one after this one if there's interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

boar guy posted:

there's a few hours left to get a score in, we have 7 so far. i'll do another one after this one if there's interest

I tried to hop on, but couldn't search for the room on Switch.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

boar guy posted:

I'm definitely interested; as far as I can tell the app called "Williams Pinball" on iOS is basically the same thing as Pinball FX 3, but I can't figure out how to play in this tournament. Anybody know if it's possible to use the Williams Pinball app to play cross-platform with FX 3?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Moogs posted:

I'm definitely interested; as far as I can tell the app called "Williams Pinball" on iOS is basically the same thing as Pinball FX 3, but I can't figure out how to play in this tournament. Anybody know if it's possible to use the Williams Pinball app to play cross-platform with FX 3?

i don't think so man, you gotta be on FX3. cross platform is one thing. cross....game is another

if they have a tournament setting, go ahead and use it and post a SS of your score and i'll count it :) the table is FishTales

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 23, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Brief update: Zen's "mid-July" news dump was moved to August 1st.

https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/1285956517632659458

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Kins posted:

Brief update: Zen's "mid-July" news dump was moved to August 1st.

https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/1285956517632659458

Man I forgot California Extreme can't really happen this year. I've gone to so many of them

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

boar guy posted:

if they have a tournament setting, go ahead and use it and post a SS of your score and i'll count it :) the table is FishTales

Appreciate it! I have the option for Pro Difficulty and Pro Physics... is that what you all have as well? I'm going to turn both of them on. Also, what's the current top score? Not that I'm going to get there, just want to know how far off I am.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Top score ended being around 177m. Those lightning flippers are a real arse.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The Pinball FX version of Fish Tales feels harder than any physical FT I've played.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tobeannouncd posted:

The Pinball FX version of Fish Tales feels harder than any physical FT I've played.

well, most tables aren't set up for tournament play on location. it's probably a few degrees higher incline, and the ones you have played in person may not have had lightning flippers installed

thanks for playing y'all

TBA, as the winner, you can pick one of the two, count 'em TWO, tables in the next tournament, announced here shortly. Please pick an IRL table that we can set up with tournament physics,

:tipshat:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2020

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

boar guy posted:

well, most tables aren't set up for tournament play on location. it's probably a few degrees higher incline, and the ones you have played in person may not have had lightning flippers installed

No, I mean it's even harder than PAPA's Fish Tales. The feed from the pops is more dangerous on FX than any I've played in person, and the inlanes are the fastest I've ever seen.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tobeannouncd posted:

No, I mean it's even harder than PAPA's Fish Tales. The feed from the pops is more dangerous on FX than any I've played in person, and the inlanes are the fastest I've ever seen.

oh i see. yeah, it's hard, as evidenced by my score :)

on a physical FT i'll smack the side of the cabinet about halfway up so as to sort of control that feed from the pops. its the most difficult part of the machine imho

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Seeing those scores made me feel a lot better about mine... I was finishing ~50M, so I'm in good company. Agree on the right loop return being the most difficult part of the table on Tournament mode. I never got the hang of nudging on my iPad.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The problem I have with virtual pinball is the nudging, because I've purposely hamstrung myself by not using a gamepad. I just can't get used to nudging with an analog stick, even though it gives you exactly the precision you need. That's probably one of the reasons I keep thinking about getting a virtual cabinet that supports physical nudging.

e: if TBA cares, I only have Williams packs 1, 2 and 3 for any future real-life table tournament play. Mind you, I won't lose sleep if you pick a table outside that.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 24, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gromit posted:

The problem I have with virtual pinball is the nudging, because I've purposely hamstrung myself by not using a gamepad. I just can't get used to nudging with an analog stick, even though it gives you exactly the precision you need. That's probably one of the reasons I keep thinking about getting a virtual cabinet that supports physical nudging.

e: if TBA cares, I only have Williams packs 1, 2 and 3 for any future real-life table tournament play. Mind you, I won't lose sleep if you pick a table outside that.

i keep tapping my keyboard but it isnt doing anything

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

boar guy posted:

TBA, as the winner, you can pick one of the two, count 'em TWO, tables in the next tournament, announced here shortly. Please pick an IRL table that we can set up with tournament physics,

:tipshat:

If The Getaway is an option, then that's my choice.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tobeannouncd posted:

If The Getaway is an option, then that's my choice.

Okay, we will do a 3 table tourney this time, starting Monday. I'll expand the playtime to a week to make sure people have time/a chance to play, since I didn't really give myself any time to in the last one.

1st up is The Getaway. Tourney setup, unlimited plays- we're all locked down, so why not grind it out? Points for 1st through 4th place, after we play three tables the one with the most points is the winner. Future tables will probably be from the early Williams packs (think Medieval Madness) so that more people will have them. Same room name and password as last time.

:tipshat: have fun!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fish Tales frustrated the hell out of me - see previous complaints re: right loop exit and nudging - but I'm looking forward to the rest of these. I love Getaway and MM :D

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Someone from my EM short list followed me home yesterday.... Will likely take a couple months to really spit shine it, but playfield and cab are in really nice shape. New set of drops and plastics will make it kick rear end.

Joe Man thinks I'm crazy, but might pop for a repro backglass, since once I'm done the flaking on the reds is going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

Still semi laughing at the pieces of cardboard the prior owner taped in place to block the outlanes.

Take photos when you tear down a machine....
(This may have been overkill - it might not have been. There were still a few times where I got annoyed trying to put things back together.)

One quarantine, 9 weeks and a Hell of a lot of polishing later.....

Having jack poo poo to do... I decided to tear this thing down further than I ever had with my prior mnachines.

Even tried a few touchups on the playfield. Wish I had the space / means / talent to clearcoat a playfield, but it turned out decent enough.

Shiny poo poo!

And finally - it went back together.

And into it's spot on the wall.

It plays mean as Hell, like an EM should with the added bonus of having one of the better EM rule sets around. The open inlanes make trapping a ball dangerous as Hell and I love it. Drop catch or die trying.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

looks fucken' sweet, dude. enjoy it

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Looks great!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Quarantourney 2 is live!

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
I can confirm that FX3 tournaments are fully cross-platform at least.

Mostly because I managed to hop on and get a lucky Redline Mania jackpot to hit the top spot on my best game on tournament rules yet on Getaway.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Getaway is my favorite machine and when this pandemic poo poo is over I'm gonna be loving pinball hopping and hope I can come across it again, Silverball Museum had a good one

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Kliff posted:

I can confirm that FX3 tournaments are fully cross-platform at least.

Not with iOS :( There's multiplayer in there but it's a stupid Skillz subapp that lets you play for real dollars against people? Yuck. In any case, I plan on submitting a Tournament Mode screenshot sometime this week! Tournament closes Friday?

Also, Tony Williams... That is the cleanest EM I have ever seen and a thing of beauty. Wow.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Moogs posted:

Tournament closes Friday?

sunday. doing a week this time. I'll post a 24 hour warning.

edit: was super worried about moving my F-14 but i set it up and levelled it and everything seems just fine. our new house has a driveway that faces the only strip of grass in the complex- at least 40 to 60 people a day curb their dogs here. maybe i should drag this thing down to the end of the driveway and see if i can take some quarters :)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 27, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zeether posted:

Getaway is my favorite machine and when this pandemic poo poo is over I'm gonna be loving pinball hopping and hope I can come across it again, Silverball Museum had a good one

I have one. I bought a pristine restored playfield to swap and i. just cant be arsed to do it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have one. I bought a pristine restored playfield to swap and i. just cant be arsed to do it.

ship it to me, i'll take care of it :)

i was surprised to see that the supercharger/raceway mechanism is magnetic. why not just use a belt? seems so much less complicated

the last two Williams packs are on sale on Steam, by the way, for 50% and 30% off, respectively

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The magnets accelerate the ball faster I guess

Steve Ritchie loves his fast ball speeds, I saw him IRL once at a con and I should have talked to him

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Plus they have a factory already filled with magnets and optos but not filled with belts and motors.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Getaway is probably my #1 favorite tbh because it has some really satisfying shots and the rules are pretty simple, plus I just LOVE the gear shift idea for bonus X and the way the game gives the feedback on it is so rad

SHIFT
GEARS

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they had a The Getaway at the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago, which i visited on a weekend school excursion in 1991 with the band. we took a walking tour of fine art during which a pigeon poo poo on my friend, escaped our families to stay in a hotel as teenagers, went to see Shear Madness and ate at Ed DeBevic's and whacking away at that The Getaway while my friends ate the Hard Rock Cafe's (inexplicably on the menu in Chicago?) chili over spaghetti is still my fondest memory of that trip

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The best call-out in the game is when it warns you the ball is about to drain by saying "supercharger ready". Nails it every time.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

boar guy posted:

oh i see. yeah, it's hard, as evidenced by my score :)

on a physical FT i'll smack the side of the cabinet about halfway up so as to sort of control that feed from the pops. its the most difficult part of the machine imho

This happens because the metal used by Bally/Williams on these inward "runner" lanes tends to curl. Also seen on Creature from the left, and right.

For whatever reason it wasn't well secured on the 1/3rds. Operators tend to keep bending that piece instead of simply anchoring it.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

Zeether posted:

Getaway is probably my #1 favorite tbh because it has some really satisfying shots and the rules are pretty simple, plus I just LOVE the gear shift idea for bonus X and the way the game gives the feedback on it is so rad

SHIFT
GEARS

If you don't shift with your knee you have work to do.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Belts and motors are probably less robust and reliable than magnets.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The magnets are cool but all my games seem super susceptible to magnetized balls. Some games we were changing weekly -- no matter the brand/ball.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Moogs posted:

Also, Tony Williams... That is the cleanest EM I have ever seen and a thing of beauty. Wow.

Thanks - it was pretty fun to do if a bit tedious.

There's a guy near the Twin Cities that helped me out with a few questions here and there. Just finished his Atlantis project / repro playfield swap.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-3/page/4#post-5768289

Just insanity. Atlantis, and his collection in general. (And yes, if you notice - he does make sure that screw heads are all pointing in the same direction.)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh man. finally got my diamond #1 badge. it's like the thrill of wizard robes all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gromit posted:

The best call-out in the game is when it warns you the ball is about to drain by saying "supercharger ready". Nails it every time.

i swear to god "REDLINE MANIA" actually turns on magnets under the outlanes :tizzy: