Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Chaos Triangle posted:

Falcon's burned three flashbacks that each took most of a chapter, while Rihito's single flashback was like two pages, our boy has this in the bag

I mean, come on, one of Falcon's big gimmicks is that he's supposedly super rational- you really think he's going to beat the man that surpasses human reason?

Gotta say the Purgatory reps have been overwhelmingly 'meh' so far. Carlos was disappointing since his main gimmick of being a fast boxer meant nothing and he ends the fight in the most annoying fashion setting a bad precedence. Falcon here was fine except for the fact that his head no longer fit his body as he got swole once the suit came off. But then he cribs a Baki reference which didn't get any less detestable, and unlike Hanafusa who also employed poisons in his match against Bando there are some major differences. Hanafusa never participated in a kengan match prior to the tournament, his job as an assassin was his sole occupation. The 2nd being that Hanafusa was on the job so for as underhanded as bone blades and biological warfare were, it was an extreme circumstance. Falcon here does this not just for his job but also I assume he uses it in his Purgatory matches since another fighter recognized that 5 minutes was long enough for this 'ace in the hole'. Don't get me wrong, there were all kinds of cheap moves and rule-bendy stuff in Kengan Asura, but it never put me off like poison big toe here.

tl;dr Kick this Stider looking cosplayer's rear end Lihito. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it makes sense from a story perspective, in that the Purgatory dude just goes out and recruits anyone he finds interesting.

From a fight perspective it is not too great, yeah.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Medicine Man.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Kengan fighter association is filled with hardcore martial arts nutjobs and old-school deathmatch lovers. It kinda makes sense that the guys in Purgatory are either the flashy types or pragmatic dudes who wants to make a living fighting without getting horribly killed in the process.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think it makes sense from a story perspective, in that the Purgatory dude just goes out and recruits anyone he finds interesting.

From a fight perspective it is not too great, yeah.
This, he's a highly capable ninja who goes for non-lethal takedowns and ruins lives but also is super good at gathering intel and helps out Toyoda which has also helped root out some of the influence of the Worms. I have no problem with him as a character but as a fighter he's not doing anything for me. Doesn't help that he's spent the better part of 3 chapters styling on Rihito who I want to see dominate a match since the guy spent the last series getting force fed humble pie, and then spent the last two years not being trained by Gensai himself. I don't even think Rihito is going to lose but he waited until just now to use his ripper and that's like 70% of what I came into this fight wanting. And it's not like Gensai would have warned Rihito not to use it, the beard spams Devil Lance pretty often in a fight.

Where's the Muteba of Purgatory? Where's the guy who does horrible things for money but has a sense of honor and style to him? I'm waiting for that guy.

Hypocrisy posted:

Medicine Man.

Nobody really likes him either and his only redeeming qualities are being friends with Hassan and helping undermine Electric man. Small wonder he even got recycled and used after his only fight.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Medicine Man owned

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rihito will win simply because Gensai has confidence in him, and Gensei (who likely immediately saw through Falcon's entire skillset) wouldn't have confidence in him unless he could win.

edit: A technical loss like what happened with Gaolong is possible, though

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
The only reason Medicine Man showed up again was because he was popular

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Who doesn't like a big fat schemer who can throw down?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bullshit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that sucks

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
https://mangadex.org/chapter/968496

man gently caress omega tbh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GOD loving DAMNIT

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Exactly like with the previous fight there's a point where this fight becomes unbearable. I was perfectly fine with Rihito getting styled on by ninja misdirection because it's clear this kind of foresight abusing tactic is a bad counter not just for masters, but for people still on their way up who haven't fully internalized countermeasures for feints. Rihito simply isn't the beard so his defense isn't nearly as refined. But then you get the first successful counter-attack and then we break out the bottle of stupid that is poisoned big toe that just sours the fight in a way similar tactics previously did not (Hanafusa did this but it didn't even take effect until after the match, he also lost regardless solidifying that he was on a mission first and foremost)

Ekeing out a win because you poisoned your opponent; a person who was trained by one of the best and desperately needs a significant win under his belt given his poor luck in the previous series. Man that just sucks to read. I'm expecting some kind of DKO scenario but this is not how I like my fights. I subscribe to the Jackie Chan school or "everybody look good" and that's not what this fight provided.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
This is total bullshit. If the point is to make Purgatory look like a real threat by giving them the first two wins, it didn't work.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so like, that was better then Carlos and I actually thought it was really neat mostly but gently caress that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
gently caress this poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real threat of purgatory is that they are such garbage that it makes you like omega less with each fight.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yumigahama spotted. Still a dick.

Fight was good though (maybe I'm a sucker for winning in a pool of your own blood) I'm reading another tournament manga and I'm noticing a pattern in fight results. Two wins for the protagonists incoming?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Uh, There is a chance

The falcon might have passed out from bloodloss right before rihitio blacked out. More importantly rihito is on top isn't he? if the falcon can't get up and they are both out... rihito kinda wins?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

unexpected really good chapter

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
see y'all back here next week

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wow, imagine being such an incredible jobber that not even teachings of beard can save you.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Honestly beyond any major criticisms, the real problem for me is that in the last few months of reading Omega I got hyped when Ohma came back, and then when Gensai showed up. Everything else has been either mediocre or annoying to read, and since the main reason I decided to come back to reading it was to see Rihito stomp a fool with his new strength... nah, man. Ashura's still great and mostly holds up on a re-read, but I just don't want to read this anymore.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

AtomikKrab posted:

Uh, There is a chance

The falcon might have passed out from bloodloss right before rihitio blacked out. More importantly rihito is on top isn't he? if the falcon can't get up and they are both out... rihito kinda wins?

If this happens I would be happy.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i don't see anywhere that it said rihito lost :smug:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im sticking to Omega until Le Banner fights

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
some good fightin' this chapter, can't say I liked the outcome (assuming that Rihito was the one who lost) but there was some good action there

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

frajaq posted:

unexpected really good chapter

Right? The bloody, sweaty death scramble was really good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yumigahama immediately backing down was good

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'll keep my opinion reserved until next chapter. :colbert:

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Dunno I liked absolute tenacity and fighting through the poison from Rihito. I really wanted stupid idiot to win but this fight is miles ahead of previous one. And it's not like Asura wasn't full of ambiguous "AND WE HAVE A WINNER" cliffhangers. Although I do think it is Rihitos loss.

Also absolute clowning on Yumigahama lol. gently caress that bitch. My boy Gaoh better properly gently caress him up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's hard to tell who's going to fight Yumigahama at this point since it seems the people on his own team want to pound his face in just as much as the kengan fighters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's possible that Purgatory getting technical "fake" wins like this is some trend that is going to lead to something. Gaolong also effectively won his big comeback fight despite technically losing, and he is one of the characters in this series with the biggest fanbase, so I don't think that losing in this tournament will be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Jose posted:

Yumigahama immediately backing down was good

Everyone shits on him, I hope his fight is like, a panel of him getting destroyed.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
I wouldn't say that this is a fake win. Purgatory is still a very light version of Kengan where poo poo like poison is just a rookie filter and imo Falcon did very good outside of underestimating less experienced opponent which almost cost him the match. I'd say there is a trend of Purgatory being overconfident and uncoordinated with sending fighters that are not a good match for Kengan fighters and their wins fooling them in a false sense of security which will play a hand later.

On the whole thinking that a loser student of the winner of previous tournament should win is on the same wave that traditionalist karate master should job to quirky dudes. Kengan is all about subverting stuff. I am ready to eat my words but this is prime material for Rihito to grow up even more. And he did really good. Path of martial arts is hard yo.

ugusername fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

it's hard to tell who's going to fight Yumigahama at this point since it seems the people on his own team want to pound his face in just as much as the kengan fighters

It'll probably be agito in the end.

I'm curious who is going to fight donaire since this emphasized he's the best purgatory fighter

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah Muteba described this guy as a top 3 nonlethal disabler in the world, it's not like he's some comedy jobber Rihito should have chewed thru

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Jose posted:

It'll probably be agito in the end.

I'm curious who is going to fight donaire since this emphasized he's the best purgatory fighter

If we're taking bets I'd say Fang. I see a scenario where he has to go against the best fighter of Purgatory and that leaves Yumi open for Gaoh to take revenge for his boyfriend. But then again I'm ready to be surprised by Wakatsuki or Okubo or anyone honestly. Man this is such a good fighting manga that predicting matchups is a real puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This fight was really good and was miles ahead of the Carlos fight, regardless of the ultimate outcome.