Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Strong Convections posted:

*Patrick Stewart quits because that's not his vision at all*
*CBS sues you because they lost the one draw the series had*

When Patrick tries to explain his 'vision' in interviews, I come away not really getting how it is actually reflected in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thom12255 posted:

When Patrick tries to explain his 'vision' in interviews, I come away not really getting how it is actually reflected in the show.
Yes they really don’t get into the political situation that much other than ‘Romulan spies did a false flag 9/11 on Mars which made the UFP more insular’. We don’t get a lot of examples of this beyond that they stopped helping the Romulans.

Then there is an off-hand mention that the new Romulan government has some kind of relations with the Federation and there isn’t a Neutral Zone anymore? It feels like they did think about fleshing some of the political situation out more but it doesn’t really make it into the show.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should've added a few more references to All Good Things, like the Klingons taking over the Neutral Zone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The show also spends a little time on the Romulan refugee situation but it’s only really in the one episode that introduces Elnor? I know Stewart had said that the show would tackle issues of refugees and immigration but it’s so brief it barely counts.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

“So brief it barely counts” is a good description for basically everything in Picard.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

‘Romulan spies did a false flag 9/11 on Mars which made the UFP more insular’

Uuuugh. This just reminds me of how frustrating that in a single, 10-episode season, we get a ridiculous series of facts like:
  • Romulans discover the robot apocalypse is real
  • Romulans fear the robot apocalypse will eradicate their species
  • Romulans keep information about the very real robot apocalypse a secret from others
  • Romulans ban all work on cybernetics
  • Romulans are so good at working on cybernetics that they simultaneously, and undetectably, hack all Federation cybernetic lifeforms
  • Romulans use this hack to destroy the rescue fleet that would prevent most of their species from being eradicated

But sure, that's all easier than showing anyone else literal proof of the robot apocalypse!

:ughh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doggles posted:

Uuuugh. This just reminds me of how frustrating that in a single, 10-episode season, we get a ridiculous series of facts like:
  • Romulans discover the robot apocalypse is real
  • Romulans fear the robot apocalypse will eradicate their species
  • Romulans keep information about the very real robot apocalypse a secret from others
  • Romulans ban all work on cybernetics
  • Romulans are so good at working on cybernetics that they simultaneously, and undetectably, hack all Federation cybernetic lifeforms
  • Romulans use this hack to destroy the rescue fleet that would prevent most of their species from being eradicated

But sure, that's all easier than showing anyone else literal proof of the robot apocalypse!

:ughh:
Yes and at no point did they ever bother to explain how the Romulans pulled that off (the hacking part)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and at no point did they ever bother to explain how the Romulans pulled that off (the hacking part)

Or why they chose the exact time, and the exact target, which would do the most damage to themselves. They still would have accomplished everything they wanted if they'd just waited six months and/or blown up a different part of the shipyards, but they decided to also sacrifice a few billion Romulans for no particular reason.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Just give me The Three Musketeers, but with Kang, Kor, and Koloth.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CubanMissile posted:

Just give me The Three Musketeers, but with Kang, Kor, and Koloth.

and Curzon Da-a-a-a-x

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hoo boy

quote:

Prodigy, as previously revealed, will follow a group of “lawless” teenagers who find themselves aboard a derelict Starfleet vessel—which we can only speculate for now will be called the Prodigy—that they take command of, before boldly setting off on their own adventures exploring the galaxy and doing things a bunch of teens probably shouldn’t get up to aboard a former military/science/exploratory vessel.

We’ll likely hear a little more about Star Trek: Prodigy at today’s Star Trek Universe panel at San Diego Comic-Con (at home), which is set to start shortly. We’ll bring you all the news on Star Trek: Prodigy and more as and when we learn it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
RED SQUAD

RED SQUAD

RED SQUAD

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Star Trek is going to just suck for the rest of our horrible lives isn't it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As it is explicitly a kids' show, my faint glimmer of hope is that it pushes more of a "how do we mature and rise to the occasion like Starfleet people would" angle. Like, "we don't have Starfleet training, so we have to learn and grow (like kids), we can't Action Hero our way out of this" or whatever,

Honestly, while I haven't seen them myself, the positive responses I've seen from newer kids' shows like Steven Universe or She-Ra give me a tiny smidge of optimism. It's a pretty ripe medium for a more hopeful, optimistic and maybe even diplomatic take on Trek than Picard or Disco or Lower Decks.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Duckula posted:

Star Trek is going to just suck for the rest of our horrible lives isn't it?

no, i have faith in the next generation

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
i have faith of the heart

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have at least 3 people in my work contacts with functioning Prodigy email addresses

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I have at least 3 people in my work contacts with functioning Prodigy email addresses
and I thought by boss still using an @aol for his personal email was lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

and I thought by boss still using an @aol for his personal email was lol

at least AOL still exists and nominally provides services, prodigy.net throws a URL not found error. Apparently it's AT&T maintaining the email addresses now?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the seal must not be broken

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As it is explicitly a kids' show, my faint glimmer of hope is that it pushes more of a "how do we mature and rise to the occasion like Starfleet people would" angle. Like, "we don't have Starfleet training, so we have to learn and grow (like kids), we can't Action Hero our way out of this" or whatever,

Honestly, while I haven't seen them myself, the positive responses I've seen from newer kids' shows like Steven Universe or She-Ra give me a tiny smidge of optimism. It's a pretty ripe medium for a more hopeful, optimistic and maybe even diplomatic take on Trek than Picard or Disco or Lower Decks.

this is a good post

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Red Squad without the blaring red sirens in DS9 that said 'these kids are idiots and are not ready for responsibility', this will go poorly.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Theme song's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soPONp0QAI

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hahaha Sean Bean has had five wives. What the christ.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

that's just how dating works in the entertainment industry {presumably non-sexmonster subset}

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64obsPsXxkE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thank you, when i read that description I immediately thought of that show

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I chuckled. Decent comedic pacing, good flow of beats, punchline hit well enough. If this is what we can expect from the whole series it’ll be alright.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Is going to be extremely funny if the best things to come out of Star Trek in years are an edgy cartoon for manchildren and a kids show for actual children, because the people concerned with shepherding The Brand see them as below their notice and don’t get involved to gently caress them up

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Is going to be extremely funny if the best things to come out of Star Trek in years are an edgy cartoon for manchildren and a kids show for actual children, because the people concerned with shepherding The Brand see them as below their notice and don’t get involved to gently caress them up

Don't forget a guy who made his bones with "Simpsons but more racist" absolutely outclassing their efforts with his big budget fanfic series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ugh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that lower decks is for "man children" but classic Trek is presumably for serious intellectuals

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Star Trek only caught on in the first place because it was for manchildren who read science-fiction pulp magazines and related to Spock's inability to understand emotion.

Prodigy I can easily ignore, Lower Decks I think looks cute and I'll give it a chance, Discovery season 3 has promise with jumping ahead in time and I'll give it a shot for that, Strange New Worlds has a great cast and a great premise, and Picard, well, I can continue to not give a poo poo. From where I'm sitting, that's a better spot than we were in a few years back.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All consumable media is for children and true adults simply stare at their tax returns and frown 24/7

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Star Trek only caught on in the first place because it was for manchildren who read science-fiction pulp magazines and related to Spock's inability to understand emotion.

No, Star Trek caught on because women were really into the interpersonal drama and found it a lot more engaging than other TV offerings, the manchildren came later.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

All consumable media is for children and true adults simply stare at their tax returns and frown 24/7

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

women watch TV like this

men watch TV like THIS

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

women watch TV like this

men watch TV like THIS

No, I’m dead serious, the famous letter writing campaign everyone talks about was spearheaded by women and women sci-fi fans were a big part of the early fandom until weirdos took it over and started obsessing over the physics of dilithium crystals n poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, Star Trek caught on because women were really into the interpersonal drama and found it a lot more engaging than other TV offerings, the manchildren came later.
Also they wanted Kirk and Spock to gently caress