Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is 343 the worst studio with a major IP? I’m thinking yes

There might be worse but idk if there's anyone else who was specifically built from the ground up to make just one game who not only failed to make a good one of those games but also failed at a rolling start where all they had to do was remaster some of the old ones.

Fat_Cow posted:

The Pathing

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Halo: Infinite, 2020

Killzone: Shadowfall, 2013

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Stux posted:

i think ea probably has some stuff that beats it but 343 are def up there

halo's still going after a few failed tries, but it only took bioware one game to kill mass effect, one of the biggest franchises of the entire 360/ps3 gen

(...one and a half games, i guess, but while people might have been pissed about mass effect 3's ending it seemed like people were still rooting for a new mass effect, in theory)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven’t played Halo since Reach. I thought the point of the new trilogy was building up a rampant Cortana as the villain? Have we just forgotten about that, who’s that generic bland orc rear end in a top hat at the end of the preview I was apparently supposed to be real intimidated by

They state in the IGN stuff this will be closing out that storyline and setting up the storyline going forward.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven’t played Halo since Reach. I thought the point of the new trilogy was building up a rampant Cortana as the villain? Have we just forgotten about that, who’s that generic bland orc rear end in a top hat at the end of the preview I was apparently supposed to be real intimidated by

They straight up admitted today that this story line was stupid and so they have changed it back to the Covenant being the threat again.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it's a Games as Service title.

Like Destiny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

abraham linksys posted:

halo's still going after a few failed tries, but it only took bioware one game to kill mass effect, one of the biggest franchises of the entire 360/ps3 gen

(...one and a half games, i guess, but while people might have been pissed about mass effect 3's ending it seemed like people were still rooting for a new mass effect, in theory)
This is true, but MS’s biggest IP for Xbox is Halo. ME wasn’t a system seller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

It sold poorly. The only curve america flattened was 343 halo series sales

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I am going to buy and play and enjoy Halo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Full price tho or gp?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Stux posted:

the ps4 has been per unit profitable since 6 months after launch, the xbone after about 12 months

When you factor in marketing, shipping, and operation costs they still likely lose money.

You don't often get a profit when the hardware is only $10 to 20 cheaper than the selling price. Apple makes a killing on iPhones because they cost less than half to make than they are sold for.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 23, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

When you factor in marketing, shipping, and operation costs they still likely lose money.

You don't often get a profit when the hardware is only $10 to 20 cheaper than the selling price. Apple makes a killing on iPhones because they cost around half as much to make than they are sold for.

i mean that analysis says the manufacturing was actually below sell price at launch but other stuff pushed into a per unit loss. this ended within 6 months for ps4 and 12 months for xbone (kinect lmao), which we know from both companies yelling about it in their financial reviews.

last gen was horrific for both of them on hardware. the 360 couldve been profitable overall eventually but the rrod thing demolished profit margins, and the ps3 was so ridiculously expensive to make and did so poorly it caused severe issues for sony. that directly led to this gens production costs being much more sensible and both of them aiming for per unit profit, although i think the xbonex mightve messed this up for ms? the ps4 pro was profitable day one, as was stuff like the psvr. i dont think they have any interest in ever trying to loss lead heavily and for a protracted period ever again. sony at least, ms might just because they have far far far more financial backup and it matters a lot less if their gaming stuff is losing money to build them a brand.

they obviously dont need to aim for as high a margin as someone like apple who makes most of their money off of it, but even a $10 margin on the majority of 100-150 million sales is an incredible amount of money. again the end of that very article says that part of the reason for moving on to a new gen is a slowing in hardware sales, but this wouldnt matter if we were to go off of people saying "they dont want new generations they want to just sell games on one platform forever".

also please dont take the stuff all these weirdo "analysts" say seriously its such a trash industry of just making 50% of what you say up wholesale. even going off of stuff like how much it mightve cost them to make is tough to quantify without actually knowing their costs, its all custom built hardware. its difficult to know what those costs are, or what savings they gain from moving up in scale.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Woke up at 4am in Australia to see the scoop and despite cautious expectations they managed to heavily disappoint. I'm leaning towards ps5 despite preferring Xbox in general.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Time to just get a pc

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fwiw with the game pass model being "subscription gets you games, but you still pay for DLC"... I'm expecting a lot more "live games" goin forward

they can't charge for Halo Infinite 2, but they can charge for Halo Infinite Season 2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

fwiw with the game pass model being "subscription gets you games, but you still pay for DLC"... I'm expecting a lot more "live games" goin forward

they can't charge for Halo Infinite 2, but they can charge for Halo Infinite Season 2
Yes i could see that

The Outer Worlds DLC is planned to do that model

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes i could see that

The Outer Worlds DLC is planned to do that model

yeah, Destiny's also doing expansions on Game Pass but seasons will be individual purchases

I do wonder about the lifespan of these things. Like, the next Forza apparently is not Forza 8, and I wonder if the goal is to make it a live game. Does Forza work as a game with a four, five year life cycle? Will these games get "reboots" with new graphics or large new worlds, like what appears to be happening with PSO2? If you're going to be playing the same games for years, what's the point of Game Pass, when it'd be cheaper to just buy Halo Infinite and Forza outright as long as you're playing them for more than four months, considering you're paying for the DLC either way?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 23, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

yeah, Destiny's also doing expansions on Game Pass but seasons will be individual purchases

I do wonder about the lifespan of these things. Like, the next Forza apparently is not Forza 8, and I wonder if the goal is to make it a live game. Does Forza work as a game with a four, five year life cycle? Will these games get "reboots" with new graphics or large new worlds, like what appears to be happening with PSO2?

Who knows, MS is going full bore on the services stuff it seems. Guess we'll see if something like Forza can sustain that, I assumed they just got rid of the number cause when you're getting up to like the 8th iteration it looks weird.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS5/PC is definitely the combo of champions, especially when garnished with a Switch.

Get your main console fix on PS5, get games that perform better on PC as well as the few games that don't make it to PS5.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I do wonder about the lifespan of these things. Like, the next Forza apparently is not Forza 8, and I wonder if the goal is to make it a live game. Does Forza work as a game with a four, five year life cycle? Will these games get "reboots" with new graphics or large new worlds, like what appears to be happening with PSO2? If you're going to be playing the same games for years, what's the point of Game Pass, when it'd be cheaper to just buy Halo Infinite and Forza outright as long as you're playing them for more than four months, considering you're paying for the DLC either way?

yeah its almost like moving to a big sub model wasnt done to sacrifice potential income for the good of the consumer

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I said come in! posted:

They straight up admitted today that this story line was stupid and so they have changed it back to the Covenant being the threat again.

The Covenant isn't in this game at all so far.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

FlamingLiberal posted:

‘Please play our game for 10 years’ is all I am hearing

"We're not allowed to make any more Halo games" is what I'm hearing. Like we were talking about 343 deserving a big reckoning for their sins and like...maybe this is it? I couldn't tell you what possible Halo game they actually want to make but I can tell you exactly what sort of Halo game an MS executive with Gamepass on the brain would make and it's a games-as-service foreverial upgradeable microtransaction machine.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 23, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

abraham linksys posted:

Ideally there are at least full price three games (basing this on gpu at $180 a year) this coming out each year you'd want to, but if they're moving more towards services and sell you dlc, that drops the appeal of keeping gamepass going.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it goes but this feels like Microsoft is forcing a push into focusing on a new model. And look what happened to them with always online for 2013.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

General Battuta posted:

The Covenant isn't in this game at all so far.

You know exactly what he meant, don't be a pedant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

See I think something like Forza as a service is not a terrible idea. It’s when you take a franchise that is story-heavy and try to make it a GAS game that I get annoyed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Forza is already pushing it with how much Buy me! Buy me! poo poo they do in a supposedly 60 dollar game I would not be looking forward to what it would look like when that's the entire idea.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

Time to just get a pc

It's always that time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Having said that I would definitely give Microsoft money to have the Japanese drift mountain back in whatever forza is on gamepass at the moment

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Having said that I would definitely give Microsoft money to have the Japanese drift mountain back in whatever forza is on gamepass at the moment

Drift mountain isn't in the Xbox. It's in the controller.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/bombosmedallion/status/1286356865799147520?s=21

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lol at first glance I legit thought those were all from Infinite (which I know is the point)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I still really want to get a chance to watch that footage at full 4k/60fps but now I really want Digital Foundry to chime in on all this and break it down some.

Also... someone thought 'yes these are the screenshots we've taken that we feel best represent the graphical fidelity of this game, send them to the press'... like you could randomly take a screenshot at a bad moment in a game from footage, but these are the ones they specifically selected to put in their press kit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You know exactly what he meant, don't be a pedant.

Pedants? HERE!?!?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

I still really want to get a chance to watch that footage at full 4k/60fps but now I really want Digital Foundry to chime in on all this and break it down some.

This is really what I'm waiting for. I think they are gonna tear it up.

Maybe not the Forza stuff but oh boy a lot of the other stuff for sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The faces in outer worlds are so ugly

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DF guys are chuds and will be impressed with the pure pixel count and frame rate and say that it lacks model detail and lighting effects.

I don't think I've ever actually seen them tear into a big studio before.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

DF guys are chuds

What the gently caress are you on about

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen them tear into a big studio before.

Pretty much

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
That fable trailer was interesting. Looks like the dev team is into vore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the gently caress are you on about

You see when someone does something that you don't like they are a chud.