Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I hope it has some of that classic S.T.A.L.K.E.R. jank which gave it much of its charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Console first gives me a really bad feeling that the entire game is going to be dumbed down to hell and back.

What's the point if the UI and control scheme aren't jankily complex??

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

They're ditching X-ray, so there goes a lot of jank right there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have faith in GSC to give us the jank we demand no matter the tools they use

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm still going to be pessimistic and assume this game is going to suck like any other sequel to a 10+ year old game until we get a gameplay trailer, but i am happy that GSC and its employees are getting to work on a game series they love again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Appoda posted:

So it said console launch exclusive -- does that mean STALKER 2 is a launch game for Xbone 2? That's not that far out, is it? late 2020, iirc.
I don't think so, I think all it means is that when it does launch on consoles (which may well be after PC) it will come to XBOX however many months before it does PS5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They said the graphics are what they hope to achieve. It's not a launch game if they haven't optimized it for consoles yet.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Stuntman posted:

i'm still going to be pessimistic and assume this game is going to suck like any other sequel to a 10+ year old game until we get a gameplay trailer, but i am happy that GSC and its employees are getting to work on a game series they love again

The original GSC employees have long since moved on, but :same:

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

What in tarnation, a console launch exclusive for stalker 2...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BaconCopter posted:

Console first gives me a really bad feeling that the entire game is going to be dumbed down to hell and back.
Possibly! My primary concern is the game retaining that level of immersion the other games have. There's a unique feel to the setting of Stalker games and I really hope they nail that. They also managed to make a game scary even when the game world is pretty and sunny, or even just scary when nothing was happening because you were constantly on your toes for A-Life to make something happen. My best friends are console peasants who don't tolerate as much jank as I do, so i'm excited that they'll get to play a series i've been pitching to them since 2011, and it'll ideally be polished enough that they'll finish it to completion.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Missing Name posted:

They're ditching X-ray, so there goes a lot of jank right there

Hopeful the new engine allows for extensive modding and we'll get Autumn Aurora or Anomaly-caliber mods.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Shrug! I'm gonna try not to be too precious about it. Vanilla STALKER isn't particularly complex anyway, we've had a decade of mods to get it up to this Runaway from Tarkovsky bullshit being the norm; I'd be more than happy for a Call of Pripyat with some fresh paint and shooting/movement that doesn't feel terrible.

With that said, I wonder what they'll do to the Zone. I hope it's not just a remake, or all the same places we're familiar with; I want to see the geography change. Maybe make it a little more anime.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hopeful the new engine allows for extensive modding and we'll get Autumn Aurora or Anomaly-caliber mods.

The new engine's UE4.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Had a fever dream long ago that STALKER 2 played like HELLBLADE, very trudging and claustrophobic.

Heck, adding guns to that game wouldn't make it too far off a stalker game, the zone/anomalies are just schizophrenia induced.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm not holding my breath over STALKER 2, but it was cool to see rookie village a little more beat up. Metro Exodus has been really drat good so far though, picked it up in the summer sale

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Like, in theory, copy & pasting Call of Pripyat mechanics into UE4, and coming up with original characters and story that evoke the influence, that would suffice to stamp a #2 on this new STALKER IP offering. But can they even deliver on that? We'll see I guess.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Appoda posted:

Shrug! I'm gonna try not to be too precious about it. Vanilla STALKER isn't particularly complex anyway, we've had a decade of mods to get it up to this Runaway from Tarkovsky bullshit being the norm; I'd be more than happy for a Call of Pripyat with some fresh paint and shooting/movement that doesn't feel terrible.

With that said, I wonder what they'll do to the Zone. I hope it's not just a remake, or all the same places we're familiar with; I want to see the geography change. Maybe make it a little more anime.

All I want it more bizarre old Russian architecture. Get some of those giant statues and massive antenna arrays (in the background of that latest video) and brutalist tower blocks. I want to see wrecked 6x6 Urals and Sherps. If the physics-bending anomalies can affect models and terrain to a serious degree I'll be pretty darn pleased. I want to see a bus get concertinaed.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Give me pitch black semi submerged abandoned military research labs with unknowable partially invisible psionic horrors. Inject that poo poo into my eyeballs.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

jarlywarly posted:

Give me pitch black semi submerged abandoned military research labs with unknowable partially invisible psionic horrors. Inject that poo poo into my eyeballs.

This was always the thing about STALKER that got me. Once they put me underground in the research facilities where it was just dark enough to not be able to see perfectly and had the aesthetic of just weird unknown experiments everywhere. That setting scared the pants off me during the first game. poo poo the first time the Bloodsucker comes for you I about pissed myself. I still get a little scared by them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There's something about the roar that makes the hairs on my neck tingle a bit.

That said I still clear out the bloodsucker lair in CoP with grenades and autoshottys rather than lugging the poison back.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

The new engine's UE4.

Oh. :smith:

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
I don't know if anyone posted any screenshots from the fire earlier this year in the chernobyl area, but

we regret to inform you that the hidden merc suit in the rookie village has burned. wolf will no longer offer the men support whilr saying he'd "bop you one" for being rude

dogstile posted:

There's something about the roar that makes the hairs on my neck tingle a bit.

That said I still clear out the bloodsucker lair in CoP with grenades and autoshottys rather than lugging the poison back.
i already run around past that area several times so i just get the canister early for all the surrounding goods and drop it off when i can. i never really thought to stick around for the gas to finish since i figured it's not like bloodsuckers can work valves i assumed. i assumed correctly and so i put the cannister down and let others to deal with the whole "various pissed off bloodsuckers" thing. weight of the canister might be less of an issue for me than others since I don't trek into the zone above 35kg.

Thank You Card fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 24, 2020

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Back to the Cordon.

Duga radar spotted :swoon:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i always thought a good hook for a stalker 2 game would be a semi-reclaimed CNPP with the huge new containment structure being a new feature to explore/sneak into

imagine that looming in the distance and then inside is still the classic sarcophagus shrouded in permanent darkness

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.stalker2.com/lang/faq_en.html

quote:

WHAT AT ABOUT THE MODS?

WE’RE FULLY COMMITTED TO MAKE MODDING AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE ON DAY ONE.

So there is a chance.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Imagine a Stalker game with functioning stealth, lol

I'm really curious about how they'll approach the 'plot'/storyline this time around. SoC's is awesome, Clear Sky's is decent (a few great moments), and CoP's was pretty anemic, but each game's story for me as a player was still really enjoyable the first time through. The ever-present implication of clandestine and unspeakable poo poo just beyond your reach as a player was a consistent hook for me through each game. I hope that they can retain that tone.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Appoda posted:

I'd be more than happy for a Call of Pripyat with some fresh paint and shooting/movement that doesn't feel terrible.

Same, would happily rebuy SoC and Cop. Just loved roaming around in these games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What can they do to make the weapon upgrades even more convoluted? I want to be able to completely disassemble guns and use the best parts from the guns I find in the field. I just want there to be something I can do with those guns besides leave them in a big pile outside the door of that boat.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What can they do to make the weapon upgrades even more convoluted? I want to be able to completely disassemble guns and use the best parts from the guns I find in the field. I just want there to be something I can do with those guns besides leave them in a big pile outside the door of that boat.

I've always wanted a similar system for assembling a bespoke suit, breaking it down and building it up with other raw materials taken from various other hazmat suits, ballistic plating, etc etc

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Worry not, some mad lad will port stalker 2 into X-ray.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'd be perfectly fine with completely minimal crafting in a new stalker. The equipment variety of the original games is appealing, but I don't need inventory tetris full of Turokov bullshit. I'm here for emergent spooky stuff and low-key storylines that put an emphasis on writing than cinematography.

If there's anything from other games that I want a new stalker to ape, it's good AI. MGSV-level AI in Stalker would be my dream game. Unfortunately that poo poo is hard and probably really expensive in a way that I more realistically expect "serviceable" rather than "stellar."

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Appoda posted:

I'm here for emergent spooky stuff

How about needing to pee & poo and being in danger of contamination if you don't have vodka to wash your rear end and balls.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Appoda posted:

Maybe make it a little more anime.

https://twitter.com/VideosFolder/status/1283864883814113289?s=20

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

How about needing to pee & poo and being in danger of contamination if you don't have vodka to wash your rear end and balls.

S.C.U.M.: Shadow of My Balls

Lol, I was wondering if anyone caught that

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Man stalker with MGS5 stealth would own bones. If i remember correctly Misery 2 had the best stealth I’ve experienced in a Stalker game, although that’s a low bar and still had a variety of issues.

Wasn’t there a glitch in all 3 games where quick loading created a bunch of reloading noises when you spawned in, so everyone instantly knew where you were at?

Trying to keep my stalker 2 expectations tempered. For like 5+ years i was certain that series was done. My baseline hopes are that Stalker 2 is accessible enough for my friends to play and atmospheric enough to do the original 3 games justice. Those games do setting and place so well that it’s still my favorite FPS series of all time.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 25, 2020

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I would appreciate real good stealth especially if you got caught at all it'd give a 24/48 hour cool down on guard paranoia. No 'it must have been a rat', no, 'I saw a guy, lets all have an espresso/some crystal meth and see if who can catch the guy before he slips away'

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been having the urge to do some looting and shooting in Russian/Ukrainian hellholes, so I've been debating on whether to get into Escape from Tarkov or replaying Shadow of Chernobyl for the umpteenzillionth time (this time with ZRP, which I've never used). Either way I just want S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 already. I don't mind them using Unreal Engine, just so long as they don't make another proprietary engine held together by duct tape and chewing gum.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Anomaly is really good too if you haven't played it.

There is a Tarkov mod called SPTarkov I believe that lets you play offline if you want something maybe a bit more like stalker and less 360 noscope.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Tarkov is great if you like to get the poo poo scared out of you.

Vanilla Call of Pripyat is also great.

Have not installed it on my Windows 10 computer yet so I can't speak for how it runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Call of Chernobyl is lots of fun, I didn’t think I’d enjoy a more sandbox-y game but its been fun so far picking up random missions and adventuring all over.

There are too many bandits in Dark Valley. I think I’ve gunned down 50 so far. All this to assassinate one bandit dude, he’s clearly sending out everyone else, I can see him moving around on the PDA and hiding in the back. Rude of him to let his friends all die first, I’d bugger off immediately if I could just pop him.