Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure who this is besides Charlie Chaplin.

Jerry Lee Lewis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure who this is besides Charlie Chaplin.

Jerry Lee Lewis for sure, might also be someone else. I know Ted Nugent convinced a girl’s parents to sign documents making Nugent the 16 year old girl’s legal guardian so he could have sex with her. Stephen Tyler did something remarkably similar with a girl that same age.

edit: Edgar Allen Poe, that’s it. He married a 13-year-old cousin too

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 21, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never move past teenage girls either apparently.

ngl that's the weirdest thing about it

like whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is it a coincidence???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never move past teenage girls either apparently.

:thejoke:

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Why do you think the lyrics to a bunch of classic rock songs usually refer to a Little girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXHmWXPwol0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1285527093967757318?s=20
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1285533916930076673?s=20
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1285542128311992321?s=20
https://twitter.com/newscomauHQ/status/1285419226694483969?s=20

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/JillKrajewski/status/1285576864359161856

https://twitter.com/JillKrajewski/status/1285923756507049984

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Fargin Icehole posted:

Why do you think the lyrics to a bunch of classic rock songs usually refer to a Little girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ompcQnfdk0

As much as I love Motörhead... that is not a comfortable song to listen to.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wait til you hear about all the nazi poo poo punks used to be into

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Coffee And Pie posted:

Wait til you hear about all the nazi poo poo punks used to be into

Why do you think Skinheads Against Racist PunkS were founded? All scenes can and will be infiltrated by the scum.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bony-Eared Assfish posted:

Why do you think Skinheads Against Racist PunkS were founded? All scenes can and will be infiltrated by the scum.

I’m not even talking about actual nazis, there was also a period of time where punks used Nazi iconography in a shitheaded attempt to be shocking and edgy

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, punk music was all about pissing off the squares, and wearing swastikas was a good way to rile people up; then actual Nazis started coming to shows because they thought they had commonality with them and the scene went “oh gently caress well we should probably stop doing that! Also we should kick the poo poo out of these loving fascists.”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1286325548289990656?s=21

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1286325553377681409?s=21

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Does this guy have any facial expressions other than the Dreamworks Face?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Does this guy have any facial expressions other than the Dreamworks Face?
He also has the "wait, people can save my Snapchat messages? oh gently caress..." face

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Martman posted:

He also has the "wait, people can save my Snapchat messages? oh gently caress..." face

For a solid 30 seconds his face become the human equivalent of the blue screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Martman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9V7CSyw6Qs

Context: They were talking about a female teacher who was caught sending inappropriate messages to a male middle school student.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
New video leaked of Heard's sister having been attacked by Heard and not Depp as she'd testified. Apparently some cameraman was mad about the false claim

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pick posted:

New video leaked of Heard's sister having been attacked by Heard and not Depp as she'd testified. Apparently some cameraman was mad about the false claim

It's darkly hilarious that probably none of this would be coming to light if she hadn't been dumb enough to write that MeToo op-ed for the Washington Post.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pick posted:

Not to mention testifying that Depp backhanded her in the face while wearing rings on his fingers and pictures showing the next day that she's absolutely fine. I really can't fathom how poor her case is, honestly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If Depp really had a bunch of money manager dudes stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from him, and it's turning out Heard was fabricating insane amounts of stuff, I wonder if she was... "encouraged" by them to help discredit him? Like obviously he is a drug-addled moron and you don't need a conspiracy to explain him being taken advantage of from many angles, but also money does crazy things.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that ultimately a guy who has been wasting his fortune on wine and drugs is not putting themselves in a place to make good choices, whether that be the choice of company they tend to keep, their finances or their own actions.

From his court appearances he seems in somewhat better shape now, but for a long time he picked up that bloat of someone who is constantly coked out/boozed up. By that stage the reason you're taking so much coke is so you can keep drinking.

Heard clearly has her own issues and Depp is what, the third person we know she's assaulted after her sister and her former partner? There's no way these two people being together was going to end well. It makes sense why pretty much every ex of Depp's rushed out to defend him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm personally interested in the story because to me it's an example of how thirsty people are to tear down any celebrity that is on shaky feet. Johnny Depp was in a few kind of lovely movies and took a few kind of lovely roles, and suddenly everybody was tired of seeing him so they really hoped that he was a wife beater

I find it interesting because it feels very divorced from actually caring about women individually, it seems like the hope was really that there was just an excuse to get rid of him because everybody was tired of him. But I feel like it had very little to do with the abuse experience by a specific person.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think there's just been a gradual shift towards people believing the women in abuse stories, as they should in most cases. This just happened to be one case where the abuser was a woman and she was trying to deflect all the blame for the abuse onto her partner. To what end, I don't know.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they only really believed her because people were just sort of tired of seeing Johnny Depp. A more credible claim from someone towards a more beloved celebrity would have a massively massively higher hurdle, even with substantially more evidence. To me it's actually indicative of the fact that we aren't necessarily taking abuse more seriously, but that we are very selective in how it's approached.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It wasn't that Depp was in bad movies it's that he wasted amounts of money that none of us ever could even given the chance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's his choice though - he earned his money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Johnny Depp is a giant waste who *gasp* spends a shitload of money on frivolous nonsense, unlike your favorite movie star" stories in the media left him vulnerable to someone taking advantage of that to win a PR war with him. That it's still not working says something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Johnny Depp is a giant waste who *gasp* spends a shitload of money on frivolous nonsense, unlike your favorite movie star" stories in the media left him vulnerable to someone taking advantage of that to win a PR war with him. That it's still not working says something.

Turns Heard is a really, really bad person and there's a lot of hard evidence of her being bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

And again, we're only finding out about any of this because Heard felt the need to write an op-ed trashing Depp an unnamed ex.

They were divorced, there were NDAs on both parties and while Depp had denied abusing Heard he hadn't accused her of anything. There's just an essay from Doug Stanhope, former co host of The Man Show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/trappedinazorb/status/1287169227627982848

Shane Carruth noooo

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

King Vidiot posted:

I think there's just been a gradual shift towards people believing the women in abuse stories, as they should in most cases. This just happened to be one case where the abuser was a woman and she was trying to deflect all the blame for the abuse onto her partner. To what end, I don't know.

I mean with celebrities we have had recent cases with the darth maul guy yesterday, Bieber, Depp, Biden accused by Eva mury when she was 14 but he wasn’t even there, Tara reade which regardless of what side you’re on definitely has a lot of question marks raised about it, Smollett... I mean it sucks as it legitimately falls right into the right wing trap of “but these cases!!” But... these cases? I mean I think it’s fair to believe women but also with celebrities ensure we let some basic info filter through.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although, I admit I lost the thread on the Depp case awhile ago, but wasn't it as simple as his side mostly being crickets and Heard just taking the narrative. I didn't follow it at the start and it's hard to tell now, but as soon as the tape came out most people pretty much flipped around on it and it's been fairly consistent from there. So yeah, a case of NDAs and lawyers settling it in Heard favor due to Depp's problems and her snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, I guess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

King Vidiot posted:

The best way I heard it put, rather than "believe all women," is "a claim of abuse or sexual harassment is an ordinary claim requiring ordinary evidence, and it should be treated as such." That doesn't mean it's true, it just means that in the absence of contradictory evidence, it's reasonable to believe that it's true. In this case, wow, there's quite a bit of contradictory evidence, so therefore it's not reasonable to believe it's true any more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Depp might be an irresponsible jerk but that doesn't make him a bad person.

But drinking all that super expensive wine is silly, just have one glass of the good stuff then switch to the cheap ahit man.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Why would we villainize Depop for doing all that when Nicolas Cage has been doing that x10 for way longer while turning in way better performances regularly

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Do wine enthusiasts consider the way Depp treats wine and some some of sacrilege? He drinks it like a frat boy pounding natty ice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sponges posted:

Do wine enthusiasts consider the way Depp treats wine and some some of sacrilege? He drinks it like a frat boy pounding natty ice.

I assume they mostly feel a mixture of jealousy and possibly annoyance at him driving up prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

They're probably just excited he buys the "right" vintages and propagates the idea that good wine should be hundreds a bottle.