Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder Free posted:

Stupid hurricane season.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

About to go fly on TD 8. It’ll probably be TS Hanna tomorrow. Then Gonzalo will truck right along into the gulf too next week. It’s going to be a long few months at this rate. Hopefully it’s a bunch of weak ones instead of some monsters later in the season but that’s anyone’s guess.

You've been up in the air for a couple hours by this point but good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hahahah there goes the RNC!

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1286413536827191303?s=19

It's just NOW dawning on him how completely hosed he is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

hahahahaha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

lmao

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

You guys just got lucky in the election cycle and got the right party in power admit it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rotfl

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1286370389715759107

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Why has it taken until 2020 to do this?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
By the way, the RNC is going to be called a "telerally". Why?

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1286287032919240705?s=19

And the kicker about how stupid it all is:

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1286308277190569989?s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

Nobody cared enough until it became a way to attract voters in an election year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

Mississippi's ratification of the 13th Amendment only became official in 2013.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Army heavily recruits among Southern hillbillies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What in the fuuuuuuuuck :stonklol: that's almost the most insane thing I've seen in all of 2020. What the loving gently caress.

So this is a really lovely headline. The gist of it is that the girl has ADHD and has become violent towards her mother multiple times (3 police calls in a year?) and also stole someone's phone from their locker. The terms of her probation included staying at home, checking in with her casworker and completing her homework. When she didn't complete her homework the judge deemed her to be violating probation and she got sent to juvi. The hosed up part is that in juvi she's in a treatment program and she's getting better but the judge deemed that she's not ready to go until she's done the program.

It's clear that the home situation wasn't good and she needed help. It's terrible that people like her have to go to jail before the government can give her the mental health treatment she needs. It's awful optics that they're sending black kids to jail even if it's to take her out of a bad(?) situation and help her get better.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As twitter has very clearly weighed in

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1286435958292992002

STICK TO SCIENCE

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1286438361041899521

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 24, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Public schools suck hardcore for kids with special needs. Add in the fact that it’s a child of color and you can pretty much assume they are getting suspended or having the resource officer called on them. My daughter’s best friend dad is a social worker for the schools, the stories he tells me are absolutely heartbreaking. Kids with autism getting pinned down because they were stemming in class. A little boy with adhd was wrapped up in a blanket because he kept leaving his chair. The teacher was at least fired for that one.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ded posted:

Naval Academy Admissions is located at 52 King George St.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The media's well-known liberal bias strikes again

https://twitter.com/politifact/status/1286394320413761536?s=21

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well poo poo, I can promise to not do an infinite number of things if that's how it works.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The repliers seem to not realise that drawing attention to the absurdity of the statement is the entire reason it was posted. They explicitly explain the nuance in the very twitter post.

This audience seems to require a TLDR of a twitter post.

piL fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2020

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

piL posted:

Naval Academy Admissions is located at 52 King George St.

poo poo, the Catholic church I went to growing up was at 420 High St.

It took much longer into my teen years than expected for me to see the humor in that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Public schools suck hardcore for kids with special needs.

This is overly broad. Public schools are highly variable due to how very localized and balkanized they are. A lot of charters pull shenanigans to outright deny entry or services to special needs kids.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

The repliers seem to not realise that drawing attention to the absurdity of the statement is the entire reason it was posted. They explicitly explain the nuance in the very twitter post.

This audience seems to require a TLDR of a twitter post.

I still don't buy it. A system where you're simplifying campaign promises into a very basic "kept/broken" metric is not one you use if you're trying to discuss nuanced distinctions, especially when it feeds into larger aggregations to claim "Trump has kept 25% of his campaign promises". And "beep boop that's the way the algorithm works nothing we can do about it" reeks of disingenuous techbro bullshit. If this is how their system evaluates things that's a sign that it's a worthless system.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I still don't buy it. A system where you're simplifying campaign promises into a very basic "kept/broken" metric is not one you use if you're trying to discuss nuanced distinctions, especially when it feeds into larger aggregations to claim "Trump has kept 25% of his campaign promises". And "beep boop that's the way the algorithm works nothing we can do about it" reeks of disingenuous techbro bullshit. If this is how their system evaluates things that's a sign that it's a worthless system.

It was established to solve quite a different problem and a result of that is this. The system as designed and described on their website is based solely on outcome. There are thousands of claims by local and national politicians and pundits that they would achieve some unachievable aim, feeling safe that they could claim it because nobody would be watching. So a system was designed to be principally independent of intent so that somebody submitting an obviously unpassable law didn't count as 'doing work' to cloud their reputation system. An outcome of this this particular example--changing the system because an outcome goes against your political beliefs challenges its authority as a neutral observer.

Parading a bunch of "it's technically true, but only technically" excerpts like 'Trump told the truth about preserving social security--because he failed', and 'Trump did increase the number of jets--by accepting a bunch of broken unoperational ones' the day after a bunch of posts about how he's failed his goals and is lying about coronavirus seems at worst neutral and potentially trying to write something between the lines.

Edit: don't get me wrong, maybe there's all kinds of evidence on a super deep dive that there's some sort of incipient bias the other way--I don't know these guys, but I just think there's a quick to leap to 'gently caress-that-person, lets get them!" on Twitter.

piL fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

You guys just got lucky in the election cycle and got the right party in power admit it

I freely admit this. If Jacinda hadn't pulled a three way coalition to get a one-seat majority, we'd be hosed right now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

piL posted:

It was established to solve quite a different problem and a result of that is this. The system as designed and described on their website is based solely on outcome. There are thousands of claims by local and national politicians and pundits that they would achieve some unachievable aim, feeling safe that they could claim it because nobody would be watching. So a system was designed to be principally independent of intent so that somebody submitting an obviously unpassable law didn't count as 'doing work' to cloud their reputation system. An outcome of this this particular example--changing the system because an outcome goes against your political beliefs challenges its authority as a neutral observer.

Parading a bunch of "it's technically true, but only technically" excerpts like 'Trump told the truth about preserving social security--because he failed', and 'Trump did increase the number of jets--by accepting a bunch of broken unoperational ones' the day after a bunch of posts about how he's failed his goals and is lying about coronavirus seems at worst neutral and potentially trying to write something between the lines.

Edit: don't get me wrong, maybe there's all kinds of evidence on a super deep dive that there's some sort of incipient bias the other way--I don't know these guys, but I just think there's a quick to leap to 'gently caress-that-person, lets get them!" on Twitter.

Lol do you work for them

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A synopsis of a politifact article I just read posted:

"It is estimated that something awful is a 90% dead comedy forum*." ~ Defenes

We rated this mostly true, because forums user Proud Christian Mom and Comrade Blyatlov feel that The Times underestimated how dead and how comedic the forums is because of the lack of photoshop friday submissions.

*From an analysis by The Times in July '20

I had an effort post thought out, but I thought this would be a better way to get my point across without derailing the thread entirely. Their fact checking seems mostly arbitrary in the most head scratching ways.

edit:
""Food Stamp participation hits 10 year low."- Donald Trump, Rated True.
"Due to a government shutdown, February 2019 had the lowest participation percentage — only 2.22% of people received SNAP benefits."

So, one of those gets a mostly true, because some dudes may quibble over the efficacy over a study, but the other one gets an unequivocated true, because.... reasons?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 24, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mama mia

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I freely admit this. If Jacinda hadn't pulled a three way coalition to get a one-seat majority, we'd be hosed right now.

Ugh, I can't believe countries are on a knife edge between wearing masks to prevent the spread of COVID and Nelson Mandela is a terrorist.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

I guess it comes down to a question of what Politifact's purpose is. If the purpose is to provide a purely utilitarian evaluation of "does politician X achieve their stated goals" then that's probably valid, though a really dumb way of assessing things. But if the purpose is to help people evaluate whether a politician stays true to their campaign promises then this is an utter failure.

If Politifact really wants to hew that strictly to the wording, then any claim a presidential candidate makes about cutting or allocating funds should be considered invalid, since it's congress that actually makes those budgets. The best a presidential candidate could claim is "I will not propose a budget that cuts X". This is generally how presidential proposals are interpreted, even if they're not exactly phrased that way, and if he had said it that way it would have been false. Or, if congress had passed a budget that cut medicare, well, the president only signed it, he wasn't actually the one who made the cuts.

It's especially egregious when it comes to negative proposals. If Trump promised that he would not raise an army of undead confederate soldiers to invade Washington, Politifact would have to rate that as a kept promise. Hence my original comment, I could be the most truthful person in existence by promising not to do a bunch of impossible stuff.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

This is overly broad. Public schools are highly variable due to how very localized and balkanized they are. A lot of charters pull shenanigans to outright deny entry or services to special needs kids.

I meant it in the compared to typical gen ed students. Special education/exceptional classroom students are suspended at a substantially higher rate than their peers in a traditional classroom. I think the national average is 4 times as much. It’s a hard process because I absolute feel for teachers having to deal with it, but when it’s bad it’s really bad, especially for children of color.

Private schools are all over the place and charters probably are worse. Charter schools are technically public schools so their governed by IDEA (until Betsy DeVos guts it) so if the student goes there then they have to receive services or the state had to pay for them to go to a specialized school.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

orange juche posted:

You've been up in the air for a couple hours by this point but good luck.

Wasn’t too bad. Nothing cool to show from that one. It’s TS Hanna now. I’ll fly it again tomorrow night and then it’ll make landfall in Texas on Saturday afternoon. Good reminder for people in the southern plague states to stock up on emergency supplies...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

After a year in third grade with my high functioning autistic son constantly getting in trouble due to "disruption" the last two years of home schooling has been mentally less draining. Kids are awful and will figure out a way to taunt and bully those who will give them the biggest most entertaining reactions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

I’m sorry, but what about this is unbelievable to Maggie Enablerman?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
For the Swift veterans for truth Taylor Swift released a surprise album today with 16 hours notice. Has a track with Bon Iver on it and sounds quite Indie pop

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol do you work for them

No, I work for Facebook, don't you remember?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
https://globalnews.ca/news/7204384/coronavirus-glory-holes-sex/amp/

So the British Columbia CDC is recommending glory holes (among other things) to prevent the spread of COVID during sexual activities.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

Bexar County [San Antonio] GOP chair refuses to certify runoff election totals after losing in landslide
“In summary, I Cynthia Brehm, have determined that every aspect of this election has been severely compromised,” Brehm said. “Therefore, I cannot in good conscious (sic) certify the results of this election.”

Brehm’s refusal to certify the votes is unlikely to succeed. According to state election code, the party’s state chair “may perform any administrative duty of the county chair ... that has not been performed in the time required by law.”

Allen West recently became the party’s chairman in Texas after beating James Dickey, who was fighting for his second term.

I love this quote from the judge at 0:40 from a news report from back in May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjkZjcOm2sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Before the runoff election, Brehm stoked controversy when she shared a Facebook post suggesting George Floyd’s death was staged for political reasons. Floyd was killed in May after former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes. Chauvin has been in charged with murder in connection with the case.

oh. sounds like a lovely person.