Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

I am so hyped for this. I've always found the Aimians very interesting, but on my most recent reread - where I already know most of the main story - I've really tuned in to what little we know about the Aimians so far and it's one of the things I'm most eager to learn more about.

I just love how patient he was for the build up for the Aimians. We covered this in the Robert Jordan thread, but editors want to eliminate every superfluous sentence. Imagine the editors saying to Brandon "And why is there a random cremling here, and why is this framed as Hoid talking to a cremling? You could save space in the book..." And Brandon replies "no, we can't cut those, they are important!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Was that weird bug creature from Edgedancer Aimian or was that something else?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

101 posted:

Short answer: Yes. They show up other places, too, sometimes just in passing.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Short answer: Yes. They show up other places, too, sometimes just in passing.

One of the others is when Dalinar notices a large pile of burned cremlings in one of his visions. That was one of them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm excited to learn a little more about them then

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

101 posted:

That was a Dysian Aimian. In Way of Kings, there's an interlude from Axies the Collector who is a Siah Aimian.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Don't forget about the one when Kaladin, Shallan and Adolin are in the storm shelter discussing the Unmade!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do not remember that one ^

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

That was a Dysian Aimian. In Way of Kings, there's an interlude from Axies the Collector who is a Siah Aimian.

And several ethnic groups (Horneaters and Herzdanians) are part human, part Siah Aimian.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

And several ethnic groups (Horneaters and Herzdanians) are part human, part Siah Aimian.

I did not know this. Where is this covered? Seems wild for Horneaters, since they're also part listener.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

I did not know this. Where is this covered? Seems wild for Horneaters, since they're also part listener.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer is right, they're part Parshendi, not Aimians. The Horneaters more so than the Herdazians.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
WOB on this noted from Coppermind is as follows:

Chris Hansen
Are either the blue-skinned Natans or blue-veined Babatharnams human-Aimian hybrids?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

I like the books but I confess I'm not the kind of person who reads this poo poo and immediately speculates about inter-species breeding.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The Thaylen people also have some Aimian blood, shown in their frequently white hair and weird eyebrows.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

I do not remember that one ^

Oathbringer Chapter 77:

quote:

They fell silent, listening to the room shake with the sounds of thunder outside. Kaladin finished his drink, wishing it were one of Rock’s concoctions instead, and flicked away an odd cremling that he spotted clinging to the side of the bench. It had a multitude of legs, and a bulbous body, with a strange tan pattern on its back. Disgusting. Even with the stresses to the city, the proprietor could at least keep this place clean.

Here's the Tor reread:
https://www.tor.com/2019/05/16/oathbringer-reread-chapter-seventy-seven/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sanderson posted this "spoiler-filled Q&A and reading from Rhythm of War for San Diego Comic-Con";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRDdxUy5iE

He says they've already started to release chapters weekly in the first minute or so, but I can't find that anywhere on his site or on Tor.com? I know they emailed out Chapter 1 if you sign up for the newsletter, but...?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Sanderson posted this "spoiler-filled Q&A and reading from Rhythm of War for San Diego Comic-Con";

He says they've already started to release chapters weekly in the first minute or so, but I can't find that anywhere on his site or on Tor.com? I know they emailed out Chapter 1 if you sign up for the newsletter, but...?

it seems like he was told that this would be going up later or something

e: also lol, kaladin is really the wrong person to try "i bet you can't fight without your fancy magic!" on

that's just bad luck they didn't lure some other windrunner

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 23, 2020

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1286437360696098818

Looks like he pushed up releasing things to match the video. Huzzah!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

quote:

Tor.com is serializing the new book from now until release date! A new chapter or two will go live every Tuesday at 9 AM ET.

Sweet, I enjoyed the weekly discussion that this generated before Oathbringer was released.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Yeroc2 posted:

Holy poo poo. It begins!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

https://www.tor.com/2020/07/23/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-prologue-and-chapter-one/

The Navani prologue is longer than the ones I've read previously.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Holy poo poo that prologue. A lot to unpack.

“…Being able to bring them back and forth from Braize doesn’t mean anything,” one said. “It’s too close to be a relevant distance.”

“It was impossible only a few short years ago,” said a deep, powerful voice. Gavilar. “This is proof. The Connection is not severed, and the box allows for travel. Not yet as far as you’d like, but we must start the journey somewhere.”

So we have Nale, Kelek, and Gavilar talking about this. Are they discussing invading other worlds?

Also Gavilar is a huge dick.

Chapter 1
God damnit Brandon you know how to get me so hyped. I need more!!!

insider fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 24, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, I’m fully hyped now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeroc2 posted:

:getin:

e:
[quote="insider" post="506730078"]

So we have Nale, Kelek, and Gavilar talking about this. Are they discussing invading other worlds?

In that prologue it sounded like Gavilar wants to go to Braize and thinks of it as the land of gods, where mankind was cast out in ancient times? Maybe he thinks going there means taking the war to the voidbringers rather than waiting for the next war on Roshar.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 24, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

:getin:

e:
[quote="insider" post="506730078"]

In that prologue it sounded like Gavilar wants to go to Braize and thinks of it as the land of gods, where mankind was cast out in ancient times? Maybe he thinks going there means taking the war to the voidbringers rather than waiting for the next war on Roshar.

Well, according to Vorin mythology, humanity was cast out of paradise (=Tranquiline Halls) when the voidbringers conquered those. So it would stand to reason that Braize, the planet of the voidbringers, must logically be the Tranquiline Halls. Which might be why Gavilar would want to attack/"reclaim" them.

Of course in reality the voidbringers had nothing to do with humanity being expelled to Roshar, the humans did that themselves. And ironically enough, the former paradise is the second planet, Ashyn, instead of the fourth planet, Braize. So Gavilar was horribly wrong in some of his core assumptions.

Which makes me wonder why the heralds did nothing to stop or discourage Gavilar. Especially Nale should have been unhappy for anybody to mess with Braize, right? What was their deal with associating with Gavilar in the first place? There's so much we still don't know about what Gavilar was really doing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Argh, this is where I check out. See y’all in November

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Yeroc2 posted:

Just finished reading the 2 chapters.

GET.

loving.

HYPE.

Inject that poo poo directly into my veins.

Kaladin about to open a can of whoop rear end. I've loved the chapters in previous installments where he gets to interact with his old village. And the villagers get to see what a bad rear end he's become. Got a feeling he's about to liberate the entire town from the fused.

I need more. Next Tuesday needs to get here asap. I think I remember them releasing the entire first book of Oathbringer by the time it was available in stores.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Same, I can't live with the slow drip, I'll wait for the full thing and catch up on theories after

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I chose not to read the serialization for Oathbringer, but with this year I need the weekly pick-me-up of RoW chapters :toot:

Wow Gavila is a prick. He is/was obviously ambitious, but seems like a genuine dickbag in that prologue

insider
Feb 22, 2007

So some of the best theories/call outs I've seen on reddit about the prologue:

Gavilar seems to be wanting to join the Oathpact to become immortal.

The steward appears to be a Terrisman feruchemist with metalmind rings.

Kelek appears to want to just get as far away from Odium as possible and out of the Oathpact which is why he says Braize isn't far enough.

Is Ardent Kris the same as Khriss? Maybe disguised? The names seem too similar for Brandon to not mean anything.

Aesudan appears involved in Gavilar's plans. What does she know?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Taffer posted:

Same, I can't live with the slow drip, I'll wait for the full thing and catch up on theories after

Good call. The slow drip was a mistake.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm gonna read it just because otherwise this thread will become impossible to read

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

re: the new tor chapter: given navani's viewpoint in the prologue and how fabrials seem more and more important and that this book heavily involves urithuru, i really hope we get Bondsmith Navani by the end of this book. navani owns

also, from the video of him reading that new chapter, it's great how Moash seems to very particularly denying Kaladin the ability to rise above his old grudges and save people he hates lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 25, 2020

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

insider posted:

The steward appears to be a Terrisman feruchemist with metalmind rings.

Oh poo poo, I didn't catch that. Had to go back and reread the steward bit but yeah… way too many rings

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

th3t00t posted:

Kaladin about to open a can of whoop rear end. I've loved the chapters in previous installments where he gets to interact with his old village. And the villagers get to see what a bad rear end he's become. Got a feeling he's about to liberate the entire town from the fused.

I feel like that'd be a spectacularly BAD idea. Like isn't Hearthstone in the middle of nowhere in the Sadeas princedom? From the chapter, it seems like he was meant to get the Herdazian general out to be redeployed elsewhere. Wonder if he's back to evacuate as many people as he can to Urithiru. Maybe Queen Jasnah has a few other Elsecallers now...

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
https://coppermind.net/wiki/Alethkar

Looking at the map, it's not a border town, but it is close to Herdaz. And would be on the way to Kholinar if they were trying to evacuate him through the Oathgate to Urithiru.

Has anyone read the Dark One? I haven't had a chance to go to the actual library in quite some time and I'm curious what people think.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Fezz posted:

Looking at the map, it's not a border town, but it is close to Herdaz. And would be on the way to Kholinar if they were trying to evacuate him through the Oathgate to Urithiru.

Unless they somehow won a war AND learned how to uncorrupt Sja-anat touched spren in the one year time skip during Oathbringer, I doubt they'll be using the Oathgate at Kholinar any time soon. It's in the middle of Fused territory and the last time they used it, they landed in Shadesmar only with Sja-anat's assistance (it was meant to kill them).

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well, looks like I have to reread Oathbringer. Good thing I'm taking a week off from work. Might as well try to reread as much of the cosmere as I can.

Hearthstone could just be where the general was heading anyway and Kal was only there because it's his hometown.

Chapter 7 Spoiler: Of course, it could have been a trap by Moash and the Fused. it was nice that he didn't warn the Fused that even without powers Kaladin could kick anyone's rear end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Omnikin posted:

Same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm super excited for today. I had seen most of the first chapter earlier, and while all prologues feveal interesting new facts, they still cover a pasg event.