Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

made a little zombie man or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm stuck waiting for some issues to get ironed out with GMS2.3 but until then I'm 100% back on my poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mmmn I really like the way she turns into, and sits down on, that right hand; that's a good punch.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

little bird

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm trying to figure out a bunch of palettes I can shift between, is there like an easy tool that lets me have a... color spreadsheet or something I can add rows and move things in?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Totally inspired by shoehead in the gamedev thread. River Cityyyy let's go

anothergod fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Current Progress on stage 1 graphics for my game. I'm having the player go up the side of a building for the second half of the stage, but I felt it would be too boring if it was just one looping pattern for the whole bit. so, I made an entirely new section that pans over to see the side of it, while also allowing me to have a little parallaxed city in the background.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I'm trying to figure out a bunch of palettes I can shift between, is there like an easy tool that lets me have a... color spreadsheet or something I can add rows and move things in?

If you find a good tool please post it. Aseprite's palette is pretty good, lets you move colours around and then you can export the palette as a png but I don't know if it supports palette subgroups which I would like because often in a project I will assign subsets for different classes or themes.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Hi, thread! So, I developed a game engine for ancient Macs with 1-bit-per-pixel black-and-white displays. I'm trying to come up with some expedient sprites and I've just started tracing some sketches trying to come up with some little 32x32 pixel characters.

Any combination of pointers, links, harsh criticism, and validation would be appreciated because I simultaneously enjoy the hell out of this and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lotta work went into this one

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Stack Machine posted:

Hi, thread! So, I developed a game engine for ancient Macs with 1-bit-per-pixel black-and-white displays. I'm trying to come up with some expedient sprites and I've just started tracing some sketches trying to come up with some little 32x32 pixel characters.

Any combination of pointers, links, harsh criticism, and validation would be appreciated because I simultaneously enjoy the hell out of this and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I think they're completely valid. The vibe they give off is a little bit "strange" or "weird" which I'm not sure is intentional; but is good if you're going for that kind of vibe. It's mostly the asymmetrical lopsidedness, and the eyes could be construed as a little bit eerie, but it's all up to tone, really. There's no "right" way to do things, I could see these being perfectly servicable sprites in a lot of things, it's just up to what mood you want to convey, really. If you're trying to feel more "normal" then a bit more line cleanup and a change of eyes would be probably all that's needed.

One of my favorite games of all time, OFF, has some really wonky sprites at times, but it's on purpose to give this eerie almost haunted vibe.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 24, 2020

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Jewel posted:

I think they're completely valid. The vibe they give off is a little bit "strange" or "weird" which I'm not sure is intentional; but is good if you're going for that kind of vibe. It's mostly the asymmetrical lopsidedness, and the eyes could be construed as a little bit eerie, but it's all up to tone, really. There's no "right" way to do things, I could see these being perfectly servicable sprites in a lot of things, it's just up to what mood you want to convey, really. If you're trying to feel more "normal" then a bit more line cleanup and a change of eyes would be probably all that's needed.

One of my favorite games of all time, OFF, has some really wonky sprites at times, but it's on purpose to give this eerie almost haunted vibe.

Thanks so much for taking some time to provide some feedback. I think you've described some vague notions I had very succinctly. The story I want to wrap this around is about exploring the aftermath of unknown disaster so the idea that I can use the art style to help convey that sense of anxiety and dread is promising, but I don't want to do the equivalent of going full-on Battlefield Earth using dutch angles in every scene. I think I'll experiment with dialing back the eyes a bit.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

midboss, idk. need to figure out some hands or something.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Stack Machine posted:

Very cool! My first thought was that having distinct, easily identifiable characters could be difficult when you can't use colors but it seems you had that in mind when making these.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Claeaus posted:

Very cool! My first thought was that having distinct, easily identifiable characters could be difficult when you can't use colors but it seems you had that in mind when making these.

My favorite platform is probably the game boy and I'm constantly amazed at how many distinct characters can be represented in 16x16 pixels at 3 shades of gray.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Stack Machine posted:

My favorite platform is probably the game boy and I'm constantly amazed at how many distinct characters can be represented in 16x16 pixels at 3 shades of gray.

I wish we got wonderswan stateside, because I think the 8 shades grayscale images look so good.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a top down arpg, do y'all do animations for diagonal movement/attacks?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ButtWolf posted:

For a top down arpg, do y'all do animations for diagonal movement/attacks?

How Zelda do you want to feel?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like diagonals would make it feel more modern, but seems like a ton more work. So its just kinda dealers choice?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'm making some placeholder pixel art for a game project so I might as well share it here.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

This is looking a little better than placeholder art

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Here's another sporadic attempt at roguelike graphics, which i got inspired to try after playing Caves of Qud and trying to put my own take on it (X2 size, 24x24 tiles):

Started changing my palette again, though i think there might not be enough contrast and that it might be too desaturated/muddy

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I need to get back to making some small profile animations for the dialogue sections in Kandria.

Did the above as a sample for the thread I made on the game! I'd like to make a couple for each character so that the text can be matched up with an appropriate reaction or expression.

Ash Crimson posted:

Here's another sporadic attempt at roguelike graphics, which i got inspired to try after playing Caves of Qud and trying to put my own take on it (X2 size, 24x24 tiles):

Started changing my palette again, though i think there might not be enough contrast and that it might be too desaturated/muddy

Yeah, it's a bit hard to make out the foreground enemies from the background elements. Maybe take some inspiration from the Necrodancer games, those do a pretty good job keeping the enemies visible, though they do use a much bigger palette.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shinmera posted:

I need to get back to making some small profile animations for the dialogue sections in Kandria.

Did the above as a sample for the thread I made on the game! I'd like to make a couple for each character so that the text can be matched up with an appropriate reaction or expression.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to make out the foreground enemies from the background elements. Maybe take some inspiration from the Necrodancer games, those do a pretty good job keeping the enemies visible, though they do use a much bigger palette.

Thanks for the comment; your game looks interesting, will follow your progress!

I'll give crypt a look!

I've quickly re-did the palette for the units, whilst keeping the background's original palette, hopefully they pop out a little more, although i'm going to continue messing about with a more limited, contrasting palette; I'm trying/aiming to keep 4 colours per ramp, ending in a dark purple whilst re-using as many colours as possible but still keeping each colour identifiable, although i'll probably end up re-doing it again

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's a nice desaturated palette. Try removing the black outlines from the tile elements, I think you will find that they still read and the character sprites will immediately pop to the foreground.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
How do i do glass?
I'm currently drawing a domed building with an indoor park. After a rough sketch I'm at a draw (hurr) on how to draw the glass roof. It's currently just blended with a non-opague-alpha-channel, but that feels like a cheat somehow. Any clues?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Adding a slight blue tint makes things appear more "glass-y". Also try to make the specular highlights sharp shapes per glass pane, rather than a smooth gradient. If you look at some photos of glass, you'll see that the contours are pretty strong.

E: Also made two more animations for my game today.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Her pixel portrait is pretty similar to your sketches. Are you pixelating them, or do you just pay good attention to stay consistent?

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 27, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

For pixel art I just draw directly in Aseprite.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wipfmetz posted:

How do i do glass?
I'm currently drawing a domed building with an indoor park. After a rough sketch I'm at a draw (hurr) on how to draw the glass roof. It's currently just blended with a non-opague-alpha-channel, but that feels like a cheat somehow. Any clues?

For me glass has both opacity and reflections. A lot of glass "looks blue" because it reflects the sky which is reflecting blue light. It also is opaque with whatever color the glass is --- usually some kind of white. And the second part of being opaque is that opacity occludes color and darkens whatever light is passing through. The different levels of opacity and reflection will affect the final outcome of the glass. Angles will affect either differently, and so curvature ends up being really cool because you end up visualizing the math through changes in color. Hope this helps.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Shinmera posted:

E: Also made two more animations for my game today.

The animations on this are nice and convey character well, but there are technical details I think you'd want to address before spending more time on animations.
As is it kind of looks like you're laying down the outlines and then moving immediately to shading inside them. The first thing I'd suggest is spending a little more time cleaning up the linework--you have a few spots where the lines have odd jogs rather than making smoother curves, which will tend to make the pixel grid more obvious. These can also be fixed pretty quickly:

There is also the issue of integrating the outline with the shading. That's not something you need to worry about with traditional art but in pixel art anywhere you have a sharp contrast in brightness the pixel grid will be more evident. That's something you can play with and it can work in a particularly stark, minimalist aesthetic, but when you're doing smoother shading with high color counts it tends to make the outline stand out and give things a crunchy look. That's where antialiasing becomes important--you can smooth those curves out by putting intermediate shades in strategic positions to downplay crunchiness. It also gives you more control over the perceived thickness of lines and lets you pack more detail into the same amount of space.
I did a quick edit on the face, mostly just adding antialiasing, all using the existing color palette:

That might not capture the expression quite right but it's just a quick pass.
As a general thing the contrast on your palette is a bit low, particularly on the hair. You might want to darken the darks a bit, which should help with conveying volume. You also have four completely separate palettes for four different brown ramps (skin, hair and jacket)--if you reuse some of the colors between them it can help with making it feel a bit more like a cohesive whole.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Scarodactyl posted:

The animations on this are nice and convey character well, but there are technical details I think you'd want to address before spending more time on animations.
As is it kind of looks like you're laying down the outlines and then moving immediately to shading inside them. The first thing I'd suggest is spending a little more time cleaning up the linework--you have a few spots where the lines have odd jogs rather than making smoother curves, which will tend to make the pixel grid more obvious. These can also be fixed pretty quickly:

There is also the issue of integrating the outline with the shading. That's not something you need to worry about with traditional art but in pixel art anywhere you have a sharp contrast in brightness the pixel grid will be more evident. That's something you can play with and it can work in a particularly stark, minimalist aesthetic, but when you're doing smoother shading with high color counts it tends to make the outline stand out and give things a crunchy look. That's where antialiasing becomes important--you can smooth those curves out by putting intermediate shades in strategic positions to downplay crunchiness. It also gives you more control over the perceived thickness of lines and lets you pack more detail into the same amount of space.
I did a quick edit on the face, mostly just adding antialiasing, all using the existing color palette:

That might not capture the expression quite right but it's just a quick pass.
As a general thing the contrast on your palette is a bit low, particularly on the hair. You might want to darken the darks a bit, which should help with conveying volume. You also have four completely separate palettes for four different brown ramps (skin, hair and jacket)--if you reuse some of the colors between them it can help with making it feel a bit more like a cohesive whole.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I knew that I had to go back to fix the line art, I was pretty sloppy with it today. I'll also definitely have to re-evaluate the palette. Colour in general is something I'm not very comfortable with, even outside of pixel art. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the anti-aliasing, I honestly don't mind the crunchy look, but maybe I'll change my mind on that still.

Hopefully I'll have a better day tomorrow to fix what I can.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

finished a new enemy. I've done lots of things for the game but most of them is miniscule things like UI and hit graphics and flares.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Turns out you were right, Scarodactyl! The anti-aliased version looks much better in the game:

Not sure yet how well I'm doing at actually making things anti-aliased though. I also don't quite know how to implement your advice about sharing the three brown bands -- the things I tried ended up looking super wonky.

On a side note: I'm currently looking to hire a pixel artist for the game, since I don't think I have the ability and time to do everything for the game myself. If anyone's interested, there's more information about it here: https://kandria.com/team-search.html

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sick. Not sure if you have sprite / time constraints but you could add some light flash on the hull and turret when the gun fires?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I totally burned myself out in my IRL job but I'm trying to get back on the horse

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scut posted:

Sick. Not sure if you have sprite / time constraints but you could add some light flash on the hull and turret when the gun fires?

maybe later. there's so much to do that right now I'm trying to just get each asset out the door as quickly as possible. now that I have a coder, I'm officially the bottleneck on production because they're working way faster than I can.

I still need a 1up icon but it's not as important right now. still gotta make more bullets and I've got ATLEAST an entire week's worth of work on animating the midboss.

Shoehead: you really nailed the look you're going for, nice job!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 17, 2020

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Concept for a parallaxing sky level for a game I'm making.

https://i.imgur.com/Zrc3sHa.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

maybe later. there's so much to do that right now I'm trying to just get each asset out the door as quickly as possible. now that I have a coder, I'm officially the bottleneck on production because they're working way faster than I can.

I still need a 1up icon but it's not as important right now. still gotta make more bullets and I've got ATLEAST an entire week's worth of work on animating the midboss.

Shoehead: you really nailed the look you're going for, nice job!

you can always steal the bullets from tyrian!