Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MarcusSA posted:

Was this posted in here? I just remembered it and lol'd

quote:

My (27f) boyfriend (23m) tried to throw out our bed so he could play a video game

Me and my boyfriend have been living together for about a year now and for a while he's been really interested in virtual reality. Now the problem is that our tiny studio apartment isn't big enough to jump around in. He knows this, I know this, and we've had multiple conversations about how it's a shame we don't live in some huge house where we could dedicate an entire room to something like that.

I went out yesterday for a walk and a picnic yesterday and came back to my boyfriend dismantling our bed. I assumed something had broken and asked what had happened. Nothing was broken. He'd managed to order an oculus quest headset and had made the executive decision that we could swap our double bed for a Japanese futon??

There is no loving room for this. Even if we lived on the ground floor (which we don't), and I was willing to sleep on the floor (which I'm not), the room just isn't big enough. It would dominate the entire room. Am I supposed to crouch in the kitchen whilst he plays? Our entire home is being compromised for what is effectively a video game.

I honestly don't really know what to say. He thinks he's being entirely reasonable to do this without involving me. I don't even know what to say to him here since the whole thing seems so ridiculous and he's so obviously being unreasonable yet is oblivious and keeps saying I'll really enjoy vr and it'll all be worth it. I told him I was worried he'll damage the TV or my art supplies and he is convinced it won't be a problem as they have sensors for that.

I love my boyfriend and he's always been entirely reasonable and level headed until now and we always discuss everything. How do I get through to him about this? If it wasn't so difficult right now I'd be considering moving out or leaving. I told him I'd throw it out the window when it arrived unless he was going to sit down and have a serious conversation about this but he just won't take anything I say seriously.

TL;DR My boyfriend bought a vr headset and wants to remove our bed to play it in our tiny studio apartment and can't see this is unreasonable.

Having had the experience of living in a studio apartment with a gf who insisted on plonking down a queen bed in the middle of the room when she moved in (we were like stupid and 23, it seemed like a good idea to move in together in my tiny studio), I can tell you without any doubt in my heart:

It is the girlfriend who was wrong. That poo poo dominates the whole space. That and my desk was like the entire main area of the apartment. You had to do like Bed Stunts to get to where the kitchen and bathroom were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I thought I had clicked on the relationships thread by accident and lol

At some future point we're going to move and I'm actually now realizing that 'must have a reasonably large open space for VR' crossed my mind as something on my list

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ours is our living room, I just need to move the coffee table out of the way. I'm thankful for high ceilings after playing a lot in a cool (temp) basement where raising your hands above your head 9/10 times resulted in hurting your hands. Thankfully never broke a controller

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Jesus christ you guys weren't kidding when you said Thrill of the Fight is exhausting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So the guy who leaked the Reverb G2 has posted what is supposedly the new Quest and it's white. Also all plastic, a simpler strap design and is apparently slightly smaller and lighter. Also no IPS slider unless it's been moved somewhere else or edited out of the press photo.
https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/1285917195562672130

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
"Leaked" renders are always very dubious, but that does look like pretty much exactly the changes I'd expect them to make for a cheaper, entry point Quest. I guess we'll find out in 2 months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

"Leaked" renders are always very dubious, but that does look like pretty much exactly the changes I'd expect them to make for a cheaper, entry point Quest. I guess we'll find out in 2 months.

Just for argument's sake if it's genuine; Given those almost certainly aren't the "Jedi" controllers, my money would be on Facebook burning the Rift S and replacing it with a interim Quest model that does 90Hz and a single panel for the same price as the Rift S until the Del Mar headset's done. The Rift S is probably gonna have to die because it can't do hand-tracking natively, and this'd bring the home-users inline with the Quest as well as neatly taking Lenovo out of the equation.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if it's not my tiny awesome foveated varifocal 270deg prototype i sleep

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

deadly_pudding posted:

Having had the experience of living in a studio apartment with a gf who insisted on plonking down a queen bed in the middle of the room when she moved in (we were like stupid and 23, it seemed like a good idea to move in together in my tiny studio), I can tell you without any doubt in my heart:

It is the girlfriend who was wrong. That poo poo dominates the whole space. That and my desk was like the entire main area of the apartment. You had to do like Bed Stunts to get to where the kitchen and bathroom were.

can confirm. i lived in a studio with a double bed in the middle and it took up 85% of the living space. ended up making it work but it was only for a year. a futon sounds perfect.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

njsykora posted:

So the guy who leaked the Reverb G2 has posted what is supposedly the new Quest and it's white. Also all plastic, a simpler strap design and is apparently slightly smaller and lighter. Also no IPS slider unless it's been moved somewhere else or edited out of the press photo.
https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/1285917195562672130

Looks good, the Quest is already great and just needs to get cheaper so more people can get one. I forget the statistics but in one of the Oculus connect talks, they pointed out that a majority of people set their ipd wrong on their headsets anyway, so even if you have ipd sliders it doesn't help them. I think two skus, a cheaper one if you're fine or don't set it up anyway, and one with the slider if you need it, works out best

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lemming posted:

they pointed out that a majority of people set their ipd wrong on their headsets anyway, so even if you have ipd sliders it doesn't help them.
I mean isn't the better response there to help them set it correctly? Rather than just going, "well people usually hosed this setting up, guess we'll just remove it and doom half the population to a less-comfortable experience". Hell, eventually if we have eye tracking you could probably just tell the users what their IPD is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cicero posted:

I mean isn't the better response there to help them set it correctly? Rather than just going, "well people usually hosed this setting up, guess we'll just remove it and doom half the population to a less-comfortable experience". Hell, eventually if we have eye tracking you could probably just tell the users what their IPD is.

It depends; part of it is "they didn't set it correctly, *and* they didn't even notice." If you can keep improving the lenses, it's possible you can reduce the amount of people it's a problem for.

Yeah if there's eye tracking and stuff I think that's a great option for a more expensive headset, but I think for the Quest, making it as cheap as possible is probably worth the tradeoff, as long as you have the option of a different sku if the ipd is a showstopper for you

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NO IPD ADJUSTMENT :argh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d assume that at this point you could rig in some system to check a user’s IPD and adjust the headset accordingly; preferably all done in software. IPD is a necessary thing but as mentioned a good number of folks don’t know or care about it. May as well just take it out of the user’s control. Back when I had to demo VR on the reg I just ended up grabbing a phone app to get a rough idea of a person’s numbers and had them worry about it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So how do you do it correctly? I have an index and it's cool that you can change it but I never know for sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Normally you just swing by a place that sells eyeglasses and ask them what yours is, but that may not be an attractive option depending on where you live. I grabbed some app called Eye Measure but there should be no end of options to choose from. If you have a newer iPhone your IPD is one of the metrics used to unlock the phone with your face.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

I’d assume that at this point you could rig in some system to check a user’s IPD and adjust the headset accordingly; preferably all done in software. IPD is a necessary thing but as mentioned a good number of folks don’t know or care about it. May as well just take it out of the user’s control. Back when I had to demo VR on the reg I just ended up grabbing a phone app to get a rough idea of a person’s numbers and had them worry about it.

It's one of those things where it may not be immediately noticeable, but can effect long term comfort. Software IPD doesn't cut it beyond ~4mm either, at that point the center of the lenses is far enough from center that distortion starts being a problem.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If the new Quest is going to be cheaper then no IPD slider makes perfect sense assuming they're moving to a single panel, ala the Go/Rift S, to save money.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pretty much what I expected if thats it. Cost reduced quest with the rift S display system, box it, ship it. I'll be astounded if its higher resolution or improved in any way really. Outside of a marginal improvement in refresh, and a little lighter It looks like it might be a case to get an original quest while you can (obviously after its full stats have been revealed). If anything being lighter might not matter if you're willing to mod, as you can remove the strap on the quest for an aftermarket design, but the headstrap on that quest s looks no more comfortable than the stock quest, and doesn't seem removable.

All conjecture still, but seems likely. I just hope they drop the price on it but I imagine it will keep the same price and allow them to start making more of a profit on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I finally got around to grabbing a 15’ DisplayPort cable and a similarly long usb3 cable for a hub, which let me move my computer right to the edge of my VR room without moving my desk.

Doing so means I can easily reach every inch of the 15’x25’ space I have, holy poo poo it’s huge.

Am I getting to the point where I should be looking at adding a lighthouse or nah? Index.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, I finally got around to grabbing a 15’ DisplayPort cable and a similarly long usb3 cable for a hub, which let me move my computer right to the edge of my VR room without moving my desk.

Doing so means I can easily reach every inch of the 15’x25’ space I have, holy poo poo it’s huge.

Am I getting to the point where I should be looking at adding a lighthouse or nah? Index.

The optimal range for two is about a 5x5m area (roughly 16'x16', I think?), so yeah you're getting into looking at a 3 or 4-Lighthouse setup if you want to use the whole thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Microsoft's Xboxx eventt earlier announced multiplayer (competitive and co-op) for Tetris Effect is coming to the PS4, PC and Quest versions next year so it'll finally be the perfect Tetris game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Microsoft's Xboxx eventt earlier announced multiplayer (competitive and co-op) for Tetris Effect is coming to the PS4, PC and Quest versions next year so it'll finally be the perfect Tetris game.

It's a timed exclusive - Xbox and PC get it this year, PS4 and Quest get it next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yes that's why I said it was coming next year. Specifically it'll be on PC this year through the Windows Store, the Epic Store version won't get the update until next year.

I hate modern gaming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh that sucks that the epic version has to wait

vvv it's a free update

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 23, 2020

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is the new stuff a separate purchase, or will it be a free upgrade for people who already have the game?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thoom posted:

Is the new stuff a separate purchase, or will it be a free upgrade for people who already have the game?

Free update. Heres the actual detail image.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1286344664036057091?s=19

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So uh the Oculus app on Windows 10 is telling me I should update my Quest from inside the headset. I go into the settings and check for updates, and then the update option gets stuck on 'downloading' forever, and the headset refuses to go to sleep. Like, you can just see light streaming out from the lenses. Is this normal? Is there a different way to force the update?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That happens to me every time. I just give it 15mins or so too download/instsll the update, then manually reboot it and it always seems to have updated.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Turns out it wasn't Thrill of the Fight demo I played, but that other boxing game that comes with the demo preinstalled on the Quest. I was bending over from being out of breath though, which got me thinking about getting a boxing game for the cardio. Everyone seems to rave about Thrill of the fight, and for $10, it seems like a good deal.
Worth getting?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I mean hell yeah, you can always refund it if it isn't your jam. I haven't played creed but I can't imagine what thrill is missing

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Questions about the Index for those of you that have it. Right now in order to get the level of clarity I want I have to bump up the resolution in my OG Vive pretty high so everything isn't blurry.

I'm thinking of doing a few things in the next 6 months. I moved into a new home with a big basement and want to dedicate that space to VR. I'm thinking of building a new PC dedicated to VR and getting an Index and am debating about what video card to get so that the system is cost effective since I'd already be making a pretty huge investment overall. I have a 1080 right now and it gets the job done on the Vive. I've heard you don't need to increase the resolution through steam VR as much with the index because the out of the box clarity is way higher which I would assume reduces the load on the GPU. Is this true? Trying to figure out how much I'd need to spend on a new video card for the VR build or if it would be worth it to move the 1080 into that and buy something comparable to the 1080 for my current computer since that works just fine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an Index, a 1080, and a i9-9990k, and it's pretty beautiful to me. I think I run Alyx at like 126% and 144fps, and it looks amazing.

I'll probably upgrade my video card down the road once there's a need for it, but right now it runs everything pretty well. Dirt 2.0 gives my system a workout, but it is very immersive at times. Also, I feel like I got to drive a RHD car for the first time :D

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Thrill of the Fight is the realistic version of a more arcade-game Creed. Depends if you want a polished game with more game mechanics designed for fun (Creed) or a more gritty game that challenges you to learn boxing and improve skills on your own (totf).

Personally I really enjoy totf for being so hard. I'm absolutely drenched in sweat and have more than once felt exhausted in my very core after going 3 rounds.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Got my Index Sunday, been playing some Thrill of the Fight, Superhot VR, Ultrawings, War Thunder, and Alyx. All except Alyx I've learned with the Vive.

Upsides:
There's a lot less screen door effect. It was really noticeable on Vive.
Playing sims isn't terrible due to the added detail in the display.
Controllers are way better than Vive wands.

downsides -
I've had more tracking issues and had to take measures to get playable tracking, which I didn't with the Vive.
Also I didn't get eyestrain with the Vive, I do with Index. Maybe I just need to blink more while playing (or like, at all).
Anything bright in the display has an annoying after image.
Games that don't natively support Index controllers have funky compatibility defaults (looking at you, Ultrawings).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thrill of the Fight is the realistic version of a more arcade-game Creed. Depends if you want a polished game with more game mechanics designed for fun (Creed) or a more gritty game that challenges you to learn boxing and improve skills on your own (totf).

Personally I really enjoy totf for being so hard. I'm absolutely drenched in sweat and have more than once felt exhausted in my very core after going 3 rounds.

Sounds like totf is right up my street then. Thanks for the input guys.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Besides Elite Dangerous are there any good cockpit-based games (space combat, flight sim, driving game etc) for that sitting-down-immersion feeling? I hear some good things about House of the Dying Sun and War Thunder, anything else?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pierson posted:

Besides Elite Dangerous are there any good cockpit-based games (space combat, flight sim, driving game etc) for that sitting-down-immersion feeling? I hear some good things about House of the Dying Sun and War Thunder, anything else?

Driving: iRacing, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Project Cars and sequel, Dirt Rally and sequel, Live For Speed, Automobilista 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pierson posted:

Dirt Rally 2.0, IL-2: Great Battles and DCS are the gold standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vox Machinae has one of the best VR cockpits around.