Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of buying stuff, I got a 20% off card accessory pretty early on, do I eventually get a bigger discount card later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Up to 50% off

Good luck remembering to equip it though

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
you get that many coins that early in the game by accidentally going out to the sea and finding the island that gives you like 30k coins, but also just from fighting whatever you come across plus perfect solves give you a shitload of cash that builds up quickly

beyond all that the game just showers you in cash though, there's like a 1k bag around every corner. I have this without any grinding or repeating fights/collection in areas and I've been spending on whatever's around to spend on

EDIT: I also redid the island once though just because I wanted to see if there were diminishing returns and thats another 10k so more naturally I'd just have 30k at this point and I'm at the last area before the end of the blue streamer in that screenshot so there's probably a bunch of expensive accessories and a new trophy to spend it all on like an hour away

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’re right, the next areas have some really expensive but awesome accessories

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How the gently caress do I reach this not bottomless hole door in shroom city behind the accessory shop. How the gently caress do I get there

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How the gently caress do I reach this not bottomless hole door in shroom city behind the accessory shop. How the gently caress do I get there

You wait until after you beat the boss of the chapter.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah some areas can't be reached without clearing up the crisis first. If you're missing something, wait until things get fixed to explore there again.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jesus christ the sea chapter is loving incredible so far

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I beat the red streamer chapter and uh I think I actually really like this game?
It’s possible that I’ll get sick of these ring puzzles later on but otherwise it’s incredibly fun and charming and the inventory management that I hated so much in Color Splash and Sticker Star has been almost entirely stripped out. There’s no level select screen, the world feels connected and alive. The boss fights are actually really cool and engaging for the first time in what feels like forever. It’s getting a lot of things right in my book.

Also the toad-hunting is seriously addictive.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 23, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know, after getting to the red streamer I was thinking the game was getting pretty tedious but the whole trek to the blue streamer was actually really fun. Maybe the game just needed some time to grow on me but after a boring first couple of hours (well peach's castle was cool too) I think this game has turned out pretty dang good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It has a slow start for sure. I think "Chapter 1" (The Red Streamer), while still pretty good, is definitely the weakest part of the game. It only gets better from there really. I think Chapter 3 might be my favorite part of the whole series to be honest, it's so good.

Both versions of the Shroom City music loving slap.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Birdo’s starring role in the Blue Streamer lead-up was phenomenal.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, I was not sold on it during the Red Streamer, too. It was good, but not special, really. I was also confused as to why they removed the level map. People like to say that it's another one of those things that made SS/CS bad, but in reality it's just extremely useful. The game's just a bunch of locations anyways, so I don't really care whether they're connected via walking off screen or a cute map. Now I definitely see it, considering last two chapters were fairly open. Discovering a new island and unlocking the ability to teleport to it via the map wouldn't have the same charm.

Also one thing that chapters after Red do right is they have a bunch of towns. Makes the game feel more alive, and interactions with enemies make it quite unique. I was worried that the town in the desert would change drastically after the boss, and I'm glad to see that NPCs just manage to live with each other. It's super cute. Making up a new threat allowed them to focus on enemies a bit more, and holy gently caress that paid out. Never thought I'd say that I'm a Snifit fan yet here we are.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Everything between arriving at Shogun Studios through the end of the Yellow Streamer is the highlight of the game, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way about a Desert World in a game before. Normally they’re overly long, use the same few tropes and the desert you explore is always bigger than I would like but this game subverts it by making the resort town super fun, giving you a method of transportation that is fun and makes travel a breeze (especially because it allows you to skip most random encounters) and mixing the traditional Mario Desert Music sound with lots of dance influences and also has a bunch of straight up J-pop/House/Disco influenced tracks when everything in the tomb takes a hard left into “a weird zombie dance party thrown by the world boss” instead of the usual unearthing of an ancient ruler and fighting them as an angry mummy.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Everything between arriving at Shogun Studios through the end of the Yellow Streamer is the highlight of the game, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way about a Desert World in a game before. Normally they’re overly long, use the same few tropes and the desert you explore is always bigger than I would like but this game subverts it by making the resort town super fun, giving you a method of transportation that is fun and makes travel a breeze (especially because it allows you to skip most random encounters) and mixing the traditional Mario Desert Music sound with lots of dance influences and also has a bunch of straight up J-pop/House/Disco influenced tracks when everything in the tomb takes a hard left into “a weird zombie dance party thrown by the world boss” instead of the usual unearthing of an ancient ruler and fighting them as an angry mummy.

an ancient ruler would have made for a pretty good stationery boss though

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finished this yesterday and I really enjoyed it, mostly. I think by the end though I was only going through it to see what fun and interesting new things would be added to boss fights and wasn't disappointed: all the bosses felt inventive and had interesting gimmicks and it was really fun to devise ways to defeat. I was totally checked out on regular fights by the end though, and avoided them as much as possible because there were only a few variations on the formula.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I think I think Olivia might be the best main companion Mario’s ever had in one of these games personality wise, but she might also be the worst guide he’s ever had.

Her hints are the worst and are almost always borderline useless.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

Her hints are the worst and are almost always borderline useless.

Huh? Are you talking about her in battle hints or field hints? Her in battle hints are rather generic, but she does at least point out if something is unusual about the enemy set you’re facing.

I’d have to disagree hard on the field hints. They’re pretty context sensitive and nudge you in the right direction if there’s a puzzle to be solved nearby. Way more helpful than Kersti, who didn’t even provide hints most of the time.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Apparently a potential bug has been found that can block game progress on your save file (post 4th streamer spoiler):"The bug is located in the Shangri-Spa area where players head after defeating the first four streamers in the game. Players get a Stamp Card that they have to take to four of the local springs. After reaching all of them and getting their locations stamped on the card, players then get a Spring of Rainbows VIP pass which lets them into the hidden Spring of Rainbows area.
The only problem is that a bouncer at the entrance to the spring takes the VIP pass the first time you enter, removing it from your inventory permanently. Players currently don’t know of a way to get a new one, so if you leave the Spring of Rainbows by accident, you’ll never be able to get back in. And if you happen to save after leaving, you’re doomed permanently."

I haven't gotten this far yet to confirm so I'm not sure how easy this is to do naturally, but posting to hopefully keep anyone from killing their game (I have sad flashbacks to my Color Splash game which bugged out and locked progress after a certain point, too.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 23, 2020

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
In Bowser's Castle, not being able to save between the fight with the Paper Macho Buzzy Beetle and Scissors is some grade-A bullshit. Also, gently caress the green streamer boss, as I died against them multiple times last night before giving up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SilentChaz posted:

In Bowser's Castle, not being able to save between the fight with the Paper Macho Buzzy Beetle and Scissors is some grade-A bullshit. Also, gently caress the green streamer boss, as I died against them multiple times last night before giving up.

After I ate it to scissors a few times the buzzy beetle dropped a save point for me to use. The scene only transitions once you walk over to Kamek's face.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

PageMaster posted:

Apparently a potential bug has been found that can block game progress on your save file (post 4th streamer spoiler)

This seems...incorrect. I’ll double check on my save file later, but the Shy Guy mini game is there and definitely replayable, so there’s definitely a way back in to the area.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Might be some weird flag-setting nonsense. The obstruction might be flagged to go away when you clear Shy Guys Finish Last, when it's "supposed" to go away the first time you show the pass.

I think it's kind of weird that the pass disappears from your inventory when Mario hangs on to a ton of keys and masks otherwise, but I can't anticipate it being a huge problem unless you're specifically aiming for it...? Maybe if you're caught unprepared by the fact that it's kind of a dungeon, but I can't really see that :V

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

finished it, what a good drat game

i'm so glad there's a paper mario that's just loving good instead of good with several asterisks again.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

After I ate it to scissors a few times the buzzy beetle dropped a save point for me to use. The scene only transitions once you walk over to Kamek's face.

Thanks! This makes it a little less frustrating to try and get through again.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Amppelix posted:

finished it, what a good drat game

i'm so glad there's a paper mario that's just loving good instead of good with several asterisks again.

:yeah:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just wish they didn’t still have that dumb “no altering the character designs” rule hanging over their heads. Like, at least make Bobby blue or something.

Odyssey lets you turn Mario into a goddamn skeleton, why can’t we have a bob-omb with a mustache

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, I think the game might be a bit better if they could have more unique designs, but honestly i do not care, it doesn't hold origami king back at all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's nowhere near as big a deal in this as it was in the last two games but it's still something that's just really baffling to me and feels like one of those things where it's motivated entirely by insane marketing mumbo-jumbo. Like how Disney has a staunch rule against something like Disney Infinity or Kingdom Hearts letting Hercules go to the Aladdin world.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Augus posted:

it's nowhere near as big a deal in this as it was in the last two games but it's still something that's just really baffling to me and feels like one of those things where it's motivated entirely by insane marketing mumbo-jumbo. Like how Disney has a staunch rule against something like Disney Infinity or Kingdom Hearts letting Hercules go to the Aladdin world.

Right, like, Mushroom, Flower, Star—just core mario poo poo cobbled together into a game, as if just to strengthen the brand, rather than to pack as many cool things into an RPGish world as possible

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

100%ed Origami King. What a fantastic ride. I'd say this is easily as good as 64 and TTYD, if not flat out better.

I will say the final boss was a bit anticlimactic though. The presentation was nice, but gameplay wise it felt fairly lacking in comparison to all the wild stuff the rest of the game threw at you. The Vellumental boss rush was a nice way to open up the fight, but I feel like there should have been something more with the Ring mechanics in-between that and the sliding picture puzzle.

Amppelix posted:

I mean, I think the game might be a bit better if they could have more unique designs, but honestly i do not care, it doesn't hold origami king back at all.

Yeah it's really not a Sticker Star situation where that made the game even more unmemorable. There's a nice variety of NPCs you can interact with instead of just Toads.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 24, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Intellectual property is a weird business and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a legitimate legal reason Nintendo ended up getting super strict on designs and character use after TTYD. Like others have said it's unfortunate but I don't think it detracts too much for this game since you still get a huge variety of characters and stuff.

Also all the toads looking the same is basically a plot point in the most hilarious way possible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nintendo has been traumatized by people demanding Geno in smash and they're never going to let that happen again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Check out Graffiti Underground and explore it again when you're at endgame for a nice Easter egg.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
:qq: Bobby.... thank you... you’re the greatest.... legit teared up... :qq:

The desert and sniff it city are drop dead gorgeous and awesome holy poo poo.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just finished it. I really wished I just watched someone else play this instead. I enjoyed everything about it except playing it part.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

Like how Disney has a staunch rule against something like Disney Infinity or Kingdom Hearts letting Hercules go to the Aladdin world.

I wonder why. Back when they both had animated TV series they had a crossover. (Jafar turned up in the Underworld and him and Hades teamed up.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Maybe they mean that the story doesn't do any of the more unusual setups?

Like the detective wrestling saga, or the part where the boss steals your body after what seems to be the final fight, or the time where a world is destroyed mid-chapter in SPM. Not that this is necessarily better, but repeating the basic structure without any surprises seems like playing it safe.

Didn't play OK though, so no idea if that's true.

Having played through the whole game, this is absolutely not true at all. There are plenty of surprises and diverse environments and set pieces in this game. Hell they even screw with the "structure" a bit at some points. The moment to moment actions are vastly different within a given streamer compared to another streamer. A bit after the blue streamer, you get sent to the purple streamer area instead of the yellow streamer for a bit as a bit of a tease, and that was a great exploration moment. And then when you go to do the purple streamer area for real, that place opens up big time.

And some story beats could have fit into 64 or TTYD just fine. It's not like Sticker Star where the story was non-existent and it was just a series of functional events linked to another.

Justin_Brett posted:

They've had at least two games before this that went full-boar with Paper Mario meaning 'the whole setting is literally paper', so I think in that context just having major villains be things you use with paper in the real world is kind of unoriginal, especially when the main villain's gimmick feels more thought out and clever, at least to me.

Honestly they do a lot more with the fact that this world is papercraft in this game compared to the last two. The stationary bosses might seem like unoriginal concepts on paper, but they do a lot with them. Like in the green streamer Scissors being treated as the horrifying force of destruction in a papercraft world, and that entire section of the game basically becoming a horror game (complete with being able to peek into rooms beforehand) was a great and memorable moment.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 24, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Never thought I'd give a poo poo about Kamek or Bowser Jr.
This game is so charming, it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i want to go for 100% but i'm being stopped before i even get going by the knowledge that getting a perfect game of shy guys finish last is one of the trophies

gently caress that