Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, NewPipe can do picture in picture or background play without a subscription or even being logged in.

Just downloaded this, and am slightly confused. Can I not log in to my youtube account with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

gourdcaptain posted:

The app'll also generate its own update notifications if you download the app directly from them.
Oh that's good, never mind then.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Just downloaded this, and am slightly confused. Can I not log in to my youtube account with this?
I don't see a way to do that, no. Whatever you subscribe to or whatever playlists you make in the app are only available locally to the app, I think.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NewPipe FAQ posted:

NewPipe's goal is to as effectively as possible protect its user's privacy. This means, the app only sends information to external servers which is needed to view search results or watch videos.

Having said this, the developers of NewPipe hope it is understandable that they will not implement any form of authentication which might allow tracking a user.

Emphasis theirs.
Apparently it's for people who want as little to do with Google as possible. Which is fine by me. There's a way to import your youtube subscriptions in the app, though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ahh. I guess that's cool for those who want it, I still want to be logged in and get recommendations and like videos. But I also want to be able to turn my phone's screen off and listen to music

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ahh. I guess that's cool for those who want it, I still want to be logged in and get recommendations and like videos. But I also want to be able to turn my phone's screen off and listen to music

You can do what I do a lot of the time and use the YouTube app on occasion to find stuff, and then use the share button to punt it over to NewPipe's background player. Slightly awkward, but useful when NewPipe's interface based around unofficial access can be a bit differently clunky at times.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Firefox on android will continue playing audio with the screen off, and can log into youtube. (get Preview / Beta / not the main version which is old and slow)

Firefox android isn't amazing but it has ublock and the new version is vastly improved w/r/t page loads, even if there are some whack UI choices.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

Firefox on android will continue playing audio with the screen off, and can log into youtube. (get Preview / Beta / not the main version which is old and slow)

Firefox android isn't amazing but it has ublock and the new version is vastly improved w/r/t page loads, even if there are some whack UI choices.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't used firefox on mobile in ages now, it just flat out didn't work on my previous phone, and I never bothered with my new one.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
If you want to be able to sign in, there's also YouTube Vanced which is a modded version of the official client to enable the subscription features and remove the video ads. I use it and it works, although you'll still see some static localized ads in searches (but nothing interrupting video playback). According to the modders there's nothing they can do about those for now as the layout is streamed in from the server.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I somehow have my YouTube subs in newpipe. It can also fetch and generate latest videos from my subs and sort them by posting date. Usually I just share the videos to Newpipe from YouTube app.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I wonder if anyone could tell me why Firefox, within the last month, has decided to start using 75-95% of my GPU for a few minutes at random?

Wheee

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 24, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder if anyone could tell me why Firefox, within the last month, has decided to start using 75-95% of my GPU for a few minutes at random?

Wheee

Bug or Bitcoin.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ola posted:

Bug or Bitcoin.

the worst game show

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pinned tab with game running on it? What does about:performance say?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Pinned tab with game running on it? What does about :performance say?

I'll check that when I get some time this weekend, but it does happen with a single window with a single tab (more frequently if it's youtube).

If I play a full screen game on one monitor and firefox YouTube on the other, it happens far more often.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

If I play a full screen game on one monitor and firefox YouTube on the other, it happens far more often.

Is your main monitor with the game a 144hz or variable refresh rate one? Monitors with different refresh rates tends to cause wonky behaviors that MS has never quite fixed.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

Is your main monitor with the game a 144hz or variable refresh rate one? Monitors with different refresh rates tends to cause wonky behaviors that MS has never quite fixed.

No, it's 60hz I believe. It's pretty ancient, and the issue has only started within the last month or so. No hardware changes.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wheee
Do you have any add-ons installed? Especially ones that would mess with Youtube/videos?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

So I did some more thorough digging since I had more time tonight, and it's my loving vpn thats using all of my GPU. It would randomly spike up and use upwards of 60% at a time, leaving firefox and whatever game I'm playing with very little to share so both would slow down.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was nice to learn about about :performance which I'm sure will be useful in some future problem.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

So I did some more thorough digging since I had more time tonight, and it's my loving vpn thats using all of my GPU. It would randomly spike up and use upwards of 60% at a time, leaving firefox and whatever game I'm playing with very little to share so both would slow down.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was nice to learn about about :performance which I'm sure will be useful in some future problem.

lmao, is your vpn mining bitcoins?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Using a VPN system-wide was a pretty poor experience for me as well and configuring only the torrent application to use it was much better.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Inceltown posted:

lmao, is your vpn mining bitcoins?

Maybe? I'm actually a little worried. I've had this one since November so who knows, maybe it was a long con.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Using a VPN system-wide was a pretty poor experience for me as well and configuring only the torrent application to use it was much better.

I did get the VPN exclusively for piracy protection, so I'll have to look into setting it up like that.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Dear thread, is there a way to disable the left-to-right wipe animation on a tab when it finishes loading?
I just updated to 78.0.2 and unfortunately don't remember what I was on before, but it wasn't very old (but it definitely didn't have that anim).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ayin posted:

Dear thread, is there a way to disable the left-to-right wipe animation on a tab when it finishes loading?
I just updated to 78.0.2 and unfortunately don't remember what I was on before, but it wasn't very old (but it definitely didn't have that anim).

in userchrome.css

code:
.tabbrowser-tab .tab-loading-burst {
    display: none;
}

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Klyith posted:

in userchrome.css
code:
.tabbrowser-tab .tab-loading-burst {
    display: none;
}
Thank you! :glomp:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Firefox on my Android phone created a notification to warn about an upcoming update, so it looks like the preview is hitting full release soon. The linked page indicates basically everything down to open tabs is supposed to carry over so it should be seamless transition so long as add-ons don't break.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

isndl posted:

Firefox on my Android phone created a notification to warn about an upcoming update, so it looks like the preview is hitting full release soon. The linked page indicates basically everything down to open tabs is supposed to carry over so it should be seamless transition so long as add-ons don't break.

I've got bad news for you

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've got bad news for you

Add-ons are in the list of things that are being migrated so it's just a question of functionality. I haven't been tracking their feature support so who knows. :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ugh, I made a typo when trying to go to a Reddit page and now that url is always the first to show up in the address bar no matter how many times I navigate to the correct subreddit.

I went into the History and accidentally clicked "Forget about this site" on the misspelled entry rather than "Delete this page" so now my username and password were deleted and everything.

Any way to undo this? I never tied an email to my account so I can't just recover my password.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Ugh, I made a typo when trying to go to a Reddit page and now that url is always the first to show up in the address bar no matter how many times I navigate to the correct subreddit.

I went into the History and accidentally clicked "Forget about this site" on the misspelled entry rather than "Delete this page" so now my username and password were deleted and everything.

Any way to undo this? I never tied an email to my account so I can't just recover my password.

In the address bar, start typing so the url you want to remove appears in the list, arrow down to it and press shift+delete.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What phosdex said. But unless you got a backup of your Firefox profile folder that you don't mind reverting back to, or you suddenly remember what your password was, your Reddit cookies and and that account you locked yourself out of are gone forever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No I used a randomly generated one from Firefox lol. Oh well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Good news, you're now free from reddit!!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Twitter is such a pile of trash. Since there is no dedicated thread for it and I'm using Firefox, I'll vent here if it's okay. I'm having some weird behavior with trends; since the only filter that exists for them is to choose a specific country or "worldwide" as the source for trends, I had to go with the latter since there's more than one country I'd like to see trends from in case something major happens. But this also means I get so many garbage trends pop up that mean nothing to me, mostly kp*p poo poo that constantly overshadows political trends and other far more important stuff. They already tag things for sports/politics/entertainment so why not have filters for that stuff? Ugh.

Also another weird thing I've noticed is that, since literally the only way to dismiss trends that aren't relevant to me is to mark them as spam or duplicates or abusive or whatever, for some weird reason trends from Turkey, specifically, don't vanish when I mark them as spam. Not sure what that's about. Everything else at least goes away except those.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If I understand https://arewefenixyet.com/ correctly, being on Norway just landed me in the early Fenix (Firefox on Geckoview on Android) rollout. I had no idea it was coming, and uh I'm not sold on this being finished to the point where they can just quietly move people over and expect everything to go smoothly.

I've had multiple UI freezes (of the close and relaunch Firefox kind), I miss a few add-ons, the add-on author (a friend of mine) has been looking at it but doesn't even understand where to begin debugging why they are "not yet supported", I'm logged out of everything (and have to accept a thousand cookie warnings again), I'm not super sold on the UI changes, and the performance seems better in some places but worse in others; definitely not a clear win. Oh, and someone mentioned about :config and view-source:// don't work right now, and I miss my Top Sites list.

I mean, I understand that this is the right way to move, and in the long run it absolutely for the best - but this feels like they didn't want to bother keeping the old version alive and kicked a beta over the fence.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Computer viking posted:

doesn't even understand where to begin debugging why they are "not yet supported",

The original plan was to launch with NO extension support. The noise was big and they whitelisted a couple "blessed" extensions.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yeah, I spent last evening reading bug reports and discussions. They've been incredibly noncommittal so far.

(I also miss holding back for a history list, but that seems to exist in the nightlies now?)

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Sab669 posted:

No I used a randomly generated one from Firefox lol. Oh well.

Did you not save the password in about :logins? It would still be there even if you cleared your cookies and history.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't even know that's a page. I'll check tomorrow, but it was a fairly new account that I use while at work so I mean I didn't lose anything major. Just need to re-build some karma to be able to post a few different subs on a new account :shrug:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Mozilla lay off 250 staff: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/

I haven’t seen details of what kind of staff yet, though fear the worst.

They’ve also announced a new focus... on 5 different things, including commercial products.

As always, they need to focus on Firefox & employing developers.

If they have money problems then they need to move their office out of San Francisco. Paying for that plus paying SF salaries must be a killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wooger posted:

Mozilla lay off 250 staff: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/

I haven’t seen details of what kind of staff yet, though fear the worst.

It's Mozilla. So probably programmers. They wouldn't touch any of their "artists", "designers" or activists/managers.