Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

When does he say that? I just finished season 1 on my rewatch and cannot remember him saying something more than four syllables.

When the parents want Dr. Franklin not to operate on their child. It's in reference to the medical procedure done on him in The Gathering

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When the parents want Dr. Franklin not to operate on their child. It's in reference to the medical procedure done on him in The Gathering

The most skippable episode of season 1 so far, the only reason to watch is to see Kosh speak two compete sentences back to back. I almost skipped it when I realized which episode it was.

Although I didn't see it as a reference to what happened earlier, but maybe I'm not picking up on something. Kosh considers his people as a pebble in this metaphor?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The avalanche line always stuck with me as a metaphor for the entire series, so on my rewatch I was genuinely surprised it happened so early and in such a one-off episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Slamhound posted:

The avalanche line always stuck with me as a metaphor for the entire series, so on my rewatch I was genuinely surprised it happened so early and in such a one-off episode.

I think it works on both levels, which is very Kosh.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've always thought it one of the better episodes of season 1. If nothing else it does an incredible job demonstrating the cultural values of the major races because they all refuse to get involved for a different reason. The Narn practice brutally pragmatic realpolitik, the Centauri don't care until they're paid to care, the Minbari say it's not their place to decode what is right or wrong for someone else, and the Vorlons are enigmatic fuckers.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've always thought it one of the better episodes of season 1. If nothing else it does an incredible job demonstrating the cultural values of the major races because they all refuse to get involved for a different reason. The Narn practice brutally pragmatic realpolitik, the Centauri don't care until they're paid to care, the Minbari say it's not their place to decode what is right or wrong for someone else, and the Vorlons are enigmatic fuckers.

It’s a good episode, but it doesn’t really move the series-wide plot, which in some ways actually makes it the perfect episode to drop the line; it’s purely thematic.

In other words:

CainFortea posted:

I think it works on both levels, which is very Kosh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Believers still works as a character study and a bit of worldbuilding, but you have to keep in mind that it originally aired in 1994 when the only science fiction on TV was Star Trek. It was very much JMS's way of saying "this isn't Star Trek".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ultrafilter posted:

Believers still works as a character study and a bit of worldbuilding, but you have to keep in mind that it originally aired in 1994 when the only science fiction on TV was Star Trek. It was very much JMS's way of saying "this isn't Star Trek".

It's an episode in which everyone is wrong and an rear end in a top hat. When I was doing my first time in forever rewatch last year while the thread was slow, Believers killed my enthusiasm stone dead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultrafilter posted:

On the contrary, it feels very much like a leftover TNG script.

Which makes sense, since it was written by David Gerrold.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In a 90s Star Trek show, the kid would've had the surgery and the parents would've come around. Having it feel like a Star Trek script only heightened the surprise of the ending.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

In a 90s Star Trek show, the kid would've had the surgery and the parents would've come around. Having it feel like a Star Trek script only heightened the surprise of the ending.

Yes. I think jms chose gerrold to make it as star trek as possible, then drop that ending.

Of course, Franklin is just as much of a believer as the family.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Which is why Gerrold was hired to write it. JMS didn't just want to subvert the form, he wanted viewers to expect the form and then cut their legs out from under them. And I have to say, 25 years ago it worked on me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

And, according to the script book, JMS also pitched it to Gerrold that he was also a sci-fi writer with a child, and could do the story emotional justice that he never could. Then when Gerrold got to writing the end of the script and it sort of dawned on him the full implication, he called JMS at stupid o’clock in the morning and shouted “gently caress YOU!” And hung up.

:haw:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
ty blind thread for reminding me of this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep15 - And Now For a Word

“The Psi-Corps Is Your Friend. Trust the Corps.”

Torqueman isn’t several AU from Torquemada (which autocorrect accidentally clued me into, so good job Apple), so here’s the inquisition for B5 in glorious technicolour. ISN bearing heavily on the Fox News line (were they even a thing in 1995?) ISN’s sensationalist right wing reads are common parlance today, but in 1995? The bad faith questioning of Delenn springs to mind, attacking your interviewee, making it very clear these are people not to be trusted as fair and balanced.

Maybe this was bigger in 1995, but for a 24 hour news cycle these days, this is just Tuesday on Fox.

All I can really think of is "this is nothing" but I can't really tell if that's because I know what it'll be like in later episodes or it's because I've seen how bad Fox news gets, so I can't really say anything without feeling spoilery.

It seems to me fairly innocent to get an Earthgov official's comment and present the questions that are being asked about the station, and once the reality of the footage that they shot aligned with the questions, the story wrote itself. There's definitely some fascist beginnings on Earth, but it's not loving with the media yet. It also seems like a fair assessment that to an outsider, Delenn taking on human characteristics seems weird, although pressuring her was a bit much.

Also interesting to note that while the Centauri were definitely the aggressors, G'kar actually tried to route weapon shipments through B5 earlier, and the only reason he didn't was because Garibaldi caught him and gave him another option.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God drat, I'm doing a rewatch along with the newbies, got slightly ahead because it's been years since my last rewatch, and I really need one of them to get to S3Ep2 so they can react/comment on the glorious G'Kar/Londo elevator scenes.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yep, me too. I'm about halfway through S3 and can't wait for the new guys' takes on some of the stuff that happens in early S3, eg:

Finding the crashed Shadow ship on Mars
The video of Clark plotting Santiago's assassination with Morden(?)
The political officer
"Electric bleachers"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
All awesome. I'm trailing them by about ten episodes. They're really into the meat of it now and each episode is impactful as hell

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
and season 2 is finished. Christ the last 6 episodes are a loving roller-coaster ride, even Knives had a cool sword fight and some really shakespearian moments. My watch buddy was like "THESE loving PEOPLE HAVE AN INTERSTELLAR CIVILIZATION AND THEY'RE LESS POLITICALLY STABLE THAN THE SEVEN KINGDOMS!" which is true, the Centauri loving suck at everything

The only centauri I liked were Vir and that one that looked like the joker that got murdered in season 2

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

abrosheen posted:

The most skippable episode of season 1 so far, the only reason to watch is to see Kosh speak two compete sentences back to back. I almost skipped it when I realized which episode it was.

Although I didn't see it as a reference to what happened earlier, but maybe I'm not picking up on something. Kosh considers his people as a pebble in this metaphor?

skipping literally any episode of B5 should be a crime

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

TKO

Or The Gathering

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Blindeye posted:

TKO

Or The Gathering

TKO is an important Ivanova episode, and one of the few times TV scifi in the 90's did religion well.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
grey 17

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Goast posted:

grey 17

Grey 17 has a b-plot that is both pretty good and fairly important

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
id complain about being wrong but important b-plot hidden in a subpar episode is very common in b5

i just always forget what lovely episode that b-plot was in, they all kind of mush together

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If there's any justice in this world the avalanche line will pass into common parlance like the great shakespeareisms, along with "understanding is a three-edged sword".

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I highlighted the important parts of this message along with italicizing the most important ones.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are probably a few where reading the synopsis on the Lurker's Guide is a reasonable choice.

Also lol at the Guide for still having a page to preload your image cache. That's so '90s.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

You can safely skip a View From the Gallery.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I'll just say, although I thought about and posted about not wanting to watch a certain episode in season 1 another time, I so far have watched all of them anyway. There is a lot of good world building and character building and setup throughout the season. I've been surprised even having seen it before, there's a lot I forgot about.

The two most tedious episodes were alien child "SEAN" and religion, and Ivanona and religion. For some reason, maybe my own personal hangups, the show's handling of religion feels heavy handed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

actually true

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Nono. There’s the whole “how long have you two been married?” line and a time traveling goatse.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

abrosheen posted:

I'll just say, although I thought about and posted about not wanting to watch a certain episode in season 1 another time, I so far have watched all of them anyway. There is a lot of good world building and character building and setup throughout the season. I've been surprised even having seen it before, there's a lot I forgot about.

The two most tedious episodes were alien child "SEAN" and religion, and Ivanona and religion. For some reason, maybe my own personal hangups, the show's handling of religion feels heavy handed.

It's nice to see diversity of thought instead of either completely ignoring religion or doing the extremely insulting "We all just realized religion is retarded and stopped believing in it at once." bullshit star trek does. Faith is a difficult and interesting subject for sci-fi, and I say this as an atheist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I highlighted the important parts of this message along with italicizing the most important ones.

:hai:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's nice to see diversity of thought instead of either completely ignoring religion or doing the extremely insulting "We all just realized religion is retarded and stopped believing in it at once." bullshit star trek does. Faith is a difficult and interesting subject for sci-fi, and I say this as an atheist.

Yeah, totally this. I love Trek but Gene's whole proto-r/a deal was insulting and I was glad whenever an episode could worm their way around it (like mentioning the Hindu Festival of Lights in "Data's Day"). B5 wouldn't be half as interesting and powerful as it became if it pulled the same smuglord crap and pretended all humanity magically erased one of the cornerstones of human culture just because of aliens and space travel.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

...just because of aliens and space travel.

You forgot the important one: Humans in Star Trek are a Post-scarcity society.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What ever went on Bureau 13? That was hyped up in the cyberzombie episode and then kind of dropped.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What ever went on Bureau 13? That was hyped up in the cyberzombie episode and then kind of dropped.

If I remember right, JMS thought it was too similar to something from another show (X-Files?) and also that maybe he had introduced a few too many different secret organisations.

In universe, I always figured it was just another arm of the movement behind Clark

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Anonymouse Mook posted:

If I remember right, JMS thought it was too similar to something from another show (X-Files?) and also that maybe he had introduced a few too many different secret organisations.

In universe, I always figured it was just another arm of the movement behind Clark

I assumed it was DS9 with Section 31 but Bureau 13 might have shown up in Babylon 5 before that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's the name of an RPG system that they weren't aware of before making the episode, and so they dropped it to avoid issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's the name of an RPG system that they weren't aware of before making the episode, and so they dropped it to avoid issues.

Not an RPG, a computer game. I played it, it was probably crap in retrospect but when you're 19 running a black ops intelligence division is cool.