Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I wasn't in the mood for it because I watched a bit of it and it kept changing the characters and didn't feel like sticking around longer to see what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Heck, they could just go full Parks and Rec and just pretend he never existed in the first place.

Who was it in P&R that got deleted?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Steakandchips posted:

Who was it in P&R that got deleted?

Mark Brandanaquitz

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Tighclops posted:

the better tommy lee jones and donald sutherland space movie is Space Cowboys

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

swickles posted:

Mark Brandanaquitz

I think that was because he didn't have time for the show anymore and they weren't having him do anything anymore. No point of referencing back to him when his shtick was not doing anything. And him leaving led to bringing two favorite characters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They got rid of him because the actor sucked. Watch the first season and he's the one guy that doesn't seem to know the show is attempting to be a comedy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You should read 'The Years of Rice and Salt' by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's like an alternate history shortly into the book the bubonic plague wipes out 99% of Europe allowing unfettered growth of the Middle East and Chine Cloud Atlas with an occasional interstitial to connect the short stories together.

:hai:

The Years of Rice and Salt is my second favorite KSR book.

Aurora is the best, imho. It's also the best-case scenario for what would have happened to the Navoo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

They got rid of him because the actor sucked. Watch the first season and he's the one guy that doesn't seem to know the show is attempting to be a comedy.

I think that's just how the part was written. The show didn't really need another straight (wo)man besides Ann.

And I guess Jerry

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should be able to bounce jokes off the straight man like Ann or in The office they had Jim. Mark was like a charisma vacuum.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, a straight man has to be a part of the funny, not just someone deadpanning observations of the scene.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I just realised that if Alex were suddenly played by Taika Waititi it wouldn't be jarring for me

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Captain Splendid posted:

I just realised that if Alex were suddenly played by Taika Waititi it wouldn't be jarring for me
Best suggestion yet

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Captain Splendid posted:

That's visionary Oscar winning actor/director Taika Waititi to you :colbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TommyGun85 posted:

Heck, they could just go full Parks and Rec

Probably not the best show to suggest, considering it featured numerous sex criminals, including chronic public masturbator Louis CK and rapist Joe Biden.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Probably not the best show to suggest, considering it featured numerous sex criminals, including chronic public masturbator Louis CK and rapist Joe Biden.

good job cherry-picking half a sentemce.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Captain Splendid posted:

We have a winner right here.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

We have a winner right here.

Only if the first scene between him and Bobbie devolves into unintelligible Kiwi slang that even the Belters can't understand.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Captain Splendid posted:

I wish you hadn't suggested this because now I'm angry that it's not gonna happen

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
just have him do his kiwi accent too without any explanation

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

just have him do his kiwi accent too without any explanation

Have Karl Urban randomly wander onto the set...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They should just have Shed come back and he's the pilot now and no one ever comments on it for the rest of the series.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Have Karl Urban randomly wander onto the set...

They'll save him for when they bring in Amos's long lost twin brother, Samos.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They should just have Shed come back and he's the pilot now and no one ever comments on it for the rest of the series.

Steal the "Snake I thought you were dead line" from Escape from New York.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If Amos has a brother then his name is Arathis :colbert:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Amos already has a brother, his name is Prax

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of brothers I hope FroJo and Anderson Dawes come back

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

Amos already has a brother, his name is Prax

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Speaking of brothers I hope FroJo and Anderson Dawes come back

Bring back the deluxe Season 1 Belter accents.

You know you have been watching the show for too long when you can easily follow along with the belter dialog and common words.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Vince McMahon meme where its like sindarin > quenya > high valerian > dothraki > klingon > belter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Do a remake of season 1 of Chernobyl except Jarred Harris does the belter accent in the whole series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

etalian posted:

Do a remake of season 1 of Chernobyl except Jarred Harris does the belter accent in the whole series.

Same, but The Terror.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm afraid Jared Harris has too much other work to come back. :smith: But I am hoping he manages to squeeze it into his schedule somehow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm afraid Jared Harris has too much other work to come back. :smith: But I am hoping he manages to squeeze it into his schedule somehow.

He really killed the role in season 1 especially how he could sell the charisma of the character and how he used the personality to manipulate other people in the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
As a Jared Harris Stan, this is a good page. :hmmyes:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Who knows. I think they'll bring them back. We hot the cameos in s4

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Not enough can be said about how good the casting is on this show, especially back in Season 1.

The main cast is great, and Wes as Amos was inspired, but the supporting cast and extras are flawless. Not only are the major, secondary characters all Top Tier Actors who put great effort and skill into bringing these people to life, but even the extras all go fully into the part like they got top billing.

Little scenes, like where Miller finds out who Bizi Bitiko really is, are filled with so many great characters, set/costume design, and the obvious effort at teaching them the Belter dialogue...just amazing work at every level!

loving Maneo, man... :kheldragar:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

As a Jared Harris Stan, this is a good page. :hmmyes:

:vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLkBIrmTLg

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The Expanse won the Hugo!

I'm half way through book 6 and once I got past the show it felt like it really started cooking! Probably because I watched the show first did I not gel as much with the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TraderStav posted:

The Expanse won the Hugo!

I'm half way through book 6 and once I got past the show it felt like it really started cooking! Probably because I watched the show first did I not gel as much with the books.
No, the books really improved after book 4 (ie after where the show is). Book 5 is when they finally gave the crew personalities and back stories, much of which was incorporated into the earlier seasons of the TV show.

Are you reading the novellas too?