Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Flying Zamboni posted:

That's the kind of thinking that got Ben Tramer killed!

Ah poo poo, I didn't think of Ben Tramer. RIP :(

But really, at a certain point people just gotta stop putting on that dang costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheKingslayer posted:

I'll never argue that they're good but Halloween 4 and 5 are always going to be some good warm and fuzzy Halloween season watching for me. The days of AMC running Monsterfest all month long are some of my favorite memories and those were staples.

I feel the same way. Watching the 100 Scariest Movie Moments on Bravo was also tradition

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

King Vidiot posted:

Ah poo poo, I didn't think of Ben Tramer. RIP :(

But really, at a certain point people just gotta stop putting on that dang costume.

See, it works out that kids dress like Myers by Halloween 4, he was a known mass murderer. But it makes absolutely no sense that Ben Tramer would somehow be walking around in the same exact outfit in part 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

See, it works out that kids dress like Myers by Halloween 4, he was a known mass murderer. But it makes absolutely no sense that Ben Tramer would somehow be walking around in the same exact outfit in part 2.

Ben Tramer, like Michael Myers, got his costume at the last second by throwing together whatever he could find at the hardware store. We've all been there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In that universe, William Shatner had just played a famous maintenance man that became a ghost and those costumes were the rage.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It was always weird to me that he got the mask at a hardware store. Like yeah I’ll buy the ropes, even the knife and the jumpsuit, but what hardware stores sell Halloween masks?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I always thought it was one of those town general store deals where they sold a little bit of everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea in October you can typically find little displays of cheap masks in a lot of different stores.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea in October you can typically find little displays of cheap masks in a lot of different stores.

Hell, in the 80's I remember just about every store I was dragged to having at least a small (cheap/knock off) toy section.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Help me out here resident spookadoodles, what do you think is a better ~3rd (first non social distancing) date movie - Lost Highway or The Lighthouse? I've seen both, although Lost Highway was ages ago (I shamefully voted for it without a rewatch in the directors tournament). Date has seen neither, but both were her suggestions, with preference given to Lost Highway (she's a big Lynch fan). She did not suggest House of 1000 corpses, fyi.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

married but discreet posted:

Help me out here resident spookadoodles, what do you think is a better ~3rd (first non social distancing) date movie - Lost Highway or The Lighthouse? I've seen both, although Lost Highway was ages ago (I shamefully voted for it without a rewatch in the directors tournament). Date has seen neither, but both were her suggestions, with preference given to Lost Highway (she's a big Lynch fan). She did not suggest House of 1000 corpses, fyi.

David Lynch doesn't make date movies.

The pro-watch here is Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, or something else high on the spooky humor spectrum.

Goonspeed on sealing the deal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, she specifically suggested two movies so I think forcing Return of the Living Dead in there would be a the wrong move.

Go with Lost Highway because you know she already likes Lynch. Simple.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

As a Lynch fan that slept on Lost Highway until a couple months ago, go with that. I was personally in love with it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Robert Pattinson jerking off isn't something I'd look for in a date movie, but you do you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's a date and she likes Lynch and you're not watching Blue Velvet?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

As a Lynch fan and a woman, I say go with Lost Highway. It's an absolute slam dunk, given that she's a Lynch fan.

moths posted:

Robert Pattinson jerking off isn't something I'd look for in a date movie, but you do you.

I'd say that's a compelling argument in favour of The Lighthouse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Is there going to be a glory hole involved per the COVID safety guidelines?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The fact that Tramer independently came up with the same costume on the same night means he was on Myers' same wavelength, and may in fact have been the only person to be able to truly understand him.

Loomis recognized this as soon as he saw him and had him killed so that he wouldn't be upstaged.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But didn't Myers get the coveralls from the tow truck driver he murdered?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's a date and she likes Lynch and you're not watching Blue Velvet?

I'd call Wild at Heart the better Lynch date movie, myself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'd say that's a compelling argument in favour of The Lighthouse

It's really not very sexy though

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Lighthouse was fantastic but I don’t know if closeup shots of turd-filled bed pans would make for a nice date movie but who the gently caress am I to judge?

Also how do they feel about seagulls?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It's really not very sexy though

The coal shoveling scenes were pretty sexy, but I agree the film over all isn't going to exactly set a mood

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh it sets a mood, just not the mood.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
First, we're in the middle of a plague, no one should be dating.

Second, you probably don't want to go too hard on a movie for a "first date." You should probably go for something lighter, and hell something you've both seen because you should be getting to know each other.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, she specifically suggested two movies so I think forcing Return of the Living Dead in there would be a the wrong move.

Go with Lost Highway because you know she already likes Lynch. Simple.

Yeah you should probably just listen to the person you’re trying to date. You can badger them into watching things that they aren’t really interested in later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

moths posted:

Oh it sets a mood, just not the mood.

If you didn't want to gently caress a lighthouse by the end of the movie I don't know what to tell ya, buddy.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Walrus Dating Hot-Tip- Telling someone you're fond of their lobster is one of the highest compliments a man can give.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

stop, its just making people uncomftorable now and we have told you that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Is Martyrs more of a fourth date movie?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

Is there going to be a glory hole involved per the COVID safety guidelines?

It did come up in conversation...

We're both work from home academics with no family close by, only leaving the house to get groceries, if at all. We both haven't met people in months, and we're not going to meet anyone else either for the time being.
I'm going to ask her what she thinks about the date movie qualities of other Lynch movies, but yeah worst case scenario it's a good excuse to rewatch Lost Highway, also I get covid, but I'm a bit more optimistic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just saw an article that the Chucky tv show finally confirmed Brad Dourif was onboard. I’m like, why would you even start making a Chucky anything before you get Dourif’s signature on paper?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

I just saw an article that the Chucky tv show finally confirmed Brad Dourif was onboard. I’m like, why would you even start making a Chucky anything before you get Dourif’s signature on paper?

I'm not sure but it may just be that Mancini and Dourif have such a longstanding relationship that he felt comfortable assuming Dourif would sign on.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

She did not suggest House of 1000 corpses, fyi.

Well theres your movie!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure but it may just be that Mancini and Dourif have such a longstanding relationship that he felt comfortable assuming Dourif would sign on.

They made a garbo remake without Dourif

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

They made a garbo remake without Dourif

Mancini had nothing to do with that one, right? That was just Universal plowing ahead with a remake because they had the title of the movie locked down?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have been into town to support my local High Street with a bit of money, and I now have a John Carpenter movie that I have never seen before. This is practically a once in a lifetime event at this point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splint Chesthair posted:

Mancini had nothing to do with that one, right? That was just Universal plowing ahead with a remake because they had the title of the movie locked down?

I think it probably would have been a passable movie if they had even gone the route of making an original killer robot doll.

Jedit posted:

I have been into town to support my local High Street with a bit of money, and I now have a John Carpenter movie that I have never seen before. This is practically a once in a lifetime event at this point.

Don't leave us hanging, which one is it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't leave us hanging, which one is it?

Black Moon Rising. It's a Carpenter original story and first draft only, but it stars Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Hamilton and Robert Vaughn and the score is by Lalo Schifrin so I'm going to be entertained by something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If it's Escape from LA you can just immediately throw that disk in the river and then sit in silence for an hour and a half for a more rewarding, memorable experience.