Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wokely waiting for a sale before giving ubisoft my money this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

It's not necessarily about producing change. The choice can be as simple as to not literally give money to them.
basically me with THQ games

but it's also easy to not buy games from a company because there are 8 billion games that get released on steam every day

there's a twitter account just for 6 second trailers of new additions to steam and it updates like every 5 minutes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

acksplode posted:

The Consumer Activist Manifesto

Oh gently caress off

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I don't feel like giving a scummy company money yet again"
"Haha you poser"

Are we really doing this, lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the best way to not support publishers is to be poor imo

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless it's rubbed in their faces directly and indisputably
From what I read it took the negative reception to Ghost Recon: Breakpoint for anything too happen to Hascoët before now.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

game will be cracked quickly if you really want to play it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

game will be cracked quickly if you really want to play it

This is some weak conviction poo poo. Playing and telling all your friends about how fun it is, posting about it online, watching tips and tricks vids, etc all just feed into the games popularity. Even if you pirated it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is some weak conviction poo poo. Playing and telling all your friends about how fun it is, posting about it online, watching tips and tricks vids, etc all just feed into the games popularity. Even if you pirated it.

I mean, how many comments have you seen (not necessarily here, but in the general discourse of this discussion) where people go, "Oh I don't like Ubisoft games anyway," the implication of which is that if someone actually had to give something up that they desired, they wouldn't. Most people's convictions stop the second it impacts their convenience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

realistically the impact any consumer can have is incredibly low. like there's companies that literally killed babies in the 70s and 80s that still own small fiefdoms these days, and the power of the individual consumer has only gotten lower as time goes on. make whatever decision youre comfortable with, just dont act like its the most moral one, imo. and if you do make the decision to not play or support the game in anyway, that actually is the most moral one, but there's a difference between 'moral' and 'will actually change anything.'

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

I mean, how many comments have you seen (not necessarily here, but in the general discourse of this discussion) where people go, "Oh I don't like Ubisoft games anyway," the implication of which is that if someone actually had to give something up that they desired, they wouldn't. Most people's convictions stop the second it impacts their convenience.
The implication is that a boycott is trivial because they wouldn't have bought Ubisoft's games to begin with, i.e. their convictions aren't being tested—but a statement that their convictions aren't being tested doesn't imply anything about how they would respond if their convictions were tested. It's still a silly comment to make because it reframes the conversation around the quality of Ubisoft's games rather than the ongoing situation, but I don't see how it implies what you suggest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. I saw this all the time with the Blizzard hongkong stuff. People who never played any of the games or stopped a decade ago posturing crazily over not giving Blizzard money anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i mean the rayman games are dope but ubisoft isn't making them anymore except for garbage autorunners on mobile so i already had a beef. they should've spent less time choking employees and more time making rayman odyssey

if we're talking something i enjoy(ed), touch the skyrim was a great video series and i haven't watched it since nick robinson imploded. and until mike nelson's apology and ditching of his shithole friends i was prepped to give up rifftrax

and THQ publishes some good poo poo but i'm not buying any of it. sorry biomutant. i'm sure desperados 3 will be dope too but too bad

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 24, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everytime nick robinsons very successful youtube channel appears anywhere i enter "rage mode"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

everytime nick robinsons very successful youtube channel appears anywhere i enter "rage mode"

man has the money to literally fly to japan for the sake of a single punchline in a single video, and no other reason

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im going to build him a pair of wax wings and tell him to fly into the sun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stux posted:

:hai:

This is the most infuriating thing and the fact that no one ever acknowledges it except for the people (mainly women) who actively despaired seeing him walk around E3 and GDC like everything was hunky-dory, is one of the main reasons why I believe any handwringing about "cancel culture" is a laff

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cancel Culture is real it just only effects people without any power or status.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the most infuriating thing and the fact that no one ever acknowledges it except for the people (mainly women) who actively despaired seeing him walk around E3 and GDC like everything was hunky-dory, is one of the main reasons why I believe any handwringing about "cancel culture" is a laff
cancel culture is a real problem that devastates vulnerable people, the keyword there is 'vulnerable.' random teenage girls who write slightly problematic jojo fanfiction being harassed into trying to commit suicide, trans writers having their work taken down because people accused it of being hateful without actually reading it, but anyone who has any actual power gets off scott free.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like the term outrage culture better, it's more descriptive of what actually fuels the discourse, it includes the chuds who 100% play into it when it benefits their side and outrage doesn't touch famous/well-connected people, it's too personal for that — but it does hurt regular nobodies that either gently caress up slightly or are misinterpreted.

Outrage can be productive but it needs to be focused, otherwise it's just for catharsis.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

amazing

https://twitter.com/lizaledwards/status/1275483690408255488

special guest speaker on International Women's Day no less

Sounds like a bit from The Office. Of course those people exist in real life.

Zongerian posted:

The name 5 good French games challenge

Superman 64
Fort Boyard: Le Jeu
Urban Runner
Robinson's Requiem
Timecop

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 24, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did I miss more coming out about him? Because from what I recall he “only” creepily hit on women through DMs, there was never any sexual abuse or grooming like most of the creeps in this thread.

EDIT: Ok yeah it was worse than I thought, what I read about the allegations must’ve downplayed it hard.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/nick-robinson-matt-conn-sexual-harassment-abuse/

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 24, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. I saw this all the time with the Blizzard hongkong stuff. People who never played any of the games or stopped a decade ago posturing crazily over not giving Blizzard money anymore.

These discussions are always stupid whenever they come up because they reframe something that I think pretty much everyone would agree with (abusers should be fired from their positions and their organization should not protect them) into some morality play that places the burden of their abuse onto thousands or potentially millions of endpoint consumers, who are most of the time totally oblivious to the situation or working with incomplete information. It also implies by omission that there is a “correct” way to consume under capitalism, and that if we just all made the right purchasing decisions, the exploitation by these multinational corporations would cease to be an issue. It diminishes the thought pattern everyone should be seeing in all this — our system of globalized capitalism promotes the mass exploitation of NEARLY EVERYBODY by its very existence — into feeling better about yourself because you support the Good Corporations and they don’t. It’s such a misdirected waste of ire and energy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I also can't help but think that if this poo poo is systemic, every major company is complicit withand/or probably has abusers in their leadership circle. You're just giving money to the ones smart enough to hide it well, or lucky enough that people didn't speak up yet. But if you fall into that line of thinking you ain't doing anything ever in your life again, so...

Boycotting is good and it's probably the correct decision when a company gets exposed for lovely practices but grandstanding doesn't lead to anything and it fosters inaction and conflict between people that are on the same side, IMHO. I'm reminded of the weird period in the speedrunning thread where people where preemptively apologizing for sharing content because what if this guy turns out to be a shithead? What if I didn't know this guy was a shithead and shared his content?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So don't do any of that and just steal it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God, what a bunch of navel gazing horse poo poo. Lmao. "Why do anything, why not just make long posts instead"

Y'all have fun. I'm deleting the awful app for good this time. Sick of assholes like stux and the new "chat thread clique" (aka the stux fan club) who apparently delight in making me, a mentally ill person, feel like total poo poo just for trying to post and be chill.

I guess it's proof of how woke they are, they'll even bully a depressed nonbinary person that just wants to be their friend

Lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

God, what a bunch of navel gazing horse poo poo. Lmao. "Why do anything, why not just make long posts instead"

Y'all have fun. I'm deleting the awful app for good this time. Sick of assholes like stux and the new "chat thread clique" (aka the stux fan club) who apparently delight in making me, a mentally ill person, feel like total poo poo just for trying to post and be chill.

I guess it's proof of how woke they are, they'll even bully a depressed nonbinary person that just wants to be their friend

Lol

what

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

precision posted:

Lol

I've met paranoid old southern ladies with less developed persecution complexes than this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Trying to engage with Stux is your first mistake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stux's fan club has one member

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

stux's fan club has one member

who is it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Andrast posted:

who is it
stux

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please don't slander stux like that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

precision posted:

Lol

here I am stux in the middle with you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

Lol

i dont understand, i like you youre a posting friend. im sorry

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lets all just be nice here, we are all effectively on the same page about how what is going on in the game industry is extremely bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I said come in! posted:

Lets all just be nice here, we are all effectively on the same page about how what is going on in the game industry is extremely bad.

yeah. my guess is all the companies are some level of poo poo outside like 1 or 2 indie places/folks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's really not hard as other posters are listing them, you can also include Divinity 2, definitely the last two AC games despite Ubisoft trying to be terrible, and if you look at the Infogrames list there's a ton more.

Divinity 2 is made by a Belgian studio, not a french one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ubisoft-faces-new-allegations-of-sexual-harassment-and-toxic-culture-2020-7?r=US&IR=T

no one new i believe but more hosed up details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wokely waiting for a sale before giving ubisoft my money this time around.

You okay