Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, we already have good evidence that a Steam version is coming sooner or later, I have to hope that things will be sorted out by whenever this launches next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like this is how Photon Blasts are gonna work?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is this a A Realm Reborn situation where it's an entirely new game but with the same name?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Well drat, I wasn't expecting this. Just leave me with my Miku hair, that's all I ask :pray:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is this a A Realm Reborn situation where it's an entirely new game but with the same name?

It's not yet clear the extent to which things will carry over or how much of a clean slate reboot this really is. They have said clearly that you will get to "keep your characters", but whether that means things like class levels or gear are the same in the new game, or if it's a purely cosmetic thing like Destiny 1->2, we don't know. They are simultaneously calling it a new game and update, sometimes within the same sentence, in much of their messaging.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I kinda fell off of PSO2 due to life and other games but man this looks rad. Hopefully we don't have to wait 13 years for it to come to NA!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
They announced that they're planning a global (meaning jp and na :v: ) release with this expansion.

Could be why they're whiplashing through content so fast on NA right now.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Looks like this is how Photon Blasts are gonna work?

That, I'm fairly certain, is Satellite Laser and the Eotile wand laser thing (especially since the player character in that half is floaty as heck like Et wand is)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kobata posted:

That, I'm fairly certain, is Satellite Laser and the Eotile wand laser thing (especially since the player character in that half is floaty as heck like Et wand is)

The photon blast icon goes into cool down when he uses the laser, though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kobata posted:

They're using techs (and also clearly a rod) so it can't be an Etoile. The three classes shown off in that trailer are just hunter/ranger/force, although interestingly enough hunter had hero's counter attack.

Also yeah, they activate their photon blast on their subpallet and it consumes it when they start the attack

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
http://pso2.jp/players/news/26483/ A bit of clarifications have been released. From rough google translation, it appears to be a parallel game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

motoh posted:

http://pso2.jp/players/news/26483/ A bit of clarifications have been released. From rough google translation, it appears to be a parallel game.

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/pso2ngsannouncement

Here's the english announcement

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Really tough spot to be in. If they don't bring over any cosmetics, current players will be alienated. If they do, players of the new game would likely be alienated since ac scratches don't revive often at all and they'd be tied to a game they're not playing. Plus it's 8 years of cosmetics which is a tall order to remake

Since emotes are transferring, that's probably where all the meseta is going to be going forward, assuming anyone still cares about meseta when that doesn't transfer over

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's a "parallel game"?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's a "parallel game"?

what do you think the word parallel means

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Website makes it sound like cosmetics (but not furniture) are going to carry over since they're updating the graphics engine for regular PSO2 also. They're not in the list of things you won't be able to use

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Video made it pretty clear that your cosmetics are coming over with the system. Emotes etc too.

It even pointed out that the new system will allow you to do stuff like have more accessories on your character at once, in whatever spots you want, with more malleable character creation on the newer graphics options, and that the newer graphics options will be compatible with PSO 2 OR New Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQCZ2j5nZE

Quite honestly, my hype couldn't be higher for this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

that page posted:

Mags within PSO2: NGS do not affect your stats or aid you in battle

... the gently caress is the point, then?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Zereth posted:

Look even if it does literally nothing I still want to have my sad blue puyo following me into battle okay.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Talkc posted:

Video made it pretty clear that your cosmetics are coming over with the system. Emotes etc too.

It even pointed out that the new system will allow you to do stuff like have more accessories on your character at once, in whatever spots you want, with more malleable character creation on the newer graphics options, and that the newer graphics options will be compatible with PSO 2 OR New Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQCZ2j5nZE

Quite honestly, my hype couldn't be higher for this.

I don't agree that it's clear cosmetics are coming, emotes are specifically namedropped as are "other registered items"

so yeah I can see accessories being included there, probably. But you don't register outfits or outerwear, for example

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

what do you think the word parallel means

The question was rhetorical.

It's PR speak for "It's a new Phantasy Star 2 but not because we aren't abandoning the old Phantasy Star 2 in case it fails, but if it is a success then we will then just gradually stop supporting old Phantasy Star 2."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

The question was rhetorical.

It's PR speak for "It's a new Phantasy Star 2 but not because we aren't abandoning the old Phantasy Star 2 in case it fails, but if it is a success then we will then just gradually stop supporting old Phantasy Star 2."

Oh forgive me, this was apparently the one time you asked a question and already knew the answer as opposed to every other time where you miss the most obvious of details and need other people to spell it out for you.

Zereth posted:

Mags have been completely superfluous for years now anyway so just making them non-combat pets is fine

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh forgive me, this was apparently the one time you asked a question and already knew the answer as opposed to every other time where you miss the most obvious of details and need other people to spell it out for you.

If you have such a problem with me then put me on ignore.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you have such a problem with me then put me on ignore.

If you want to actually engage with people do it in good faith and stop being a shithead.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I must say it's kind of hilarious that New Genesis PSO2 A Realm Reborn is barely a year out from PSO2 finally getting a Western release.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I must say it's kind of hilarious that New Genesis PSO2 A Realm Reborn is barely a year out from PSO2 finally getting a Western release.

It's likely Microsoft paid them to localize PSO2 so they could in turn fund New Genesis.

motoh posted:

If you want to actually engage with people do it in good faith and stop being a shithead.

The post was rather rude.

Edit - But it does seem to bother him and I should take his feelings into account. Assuming that your response is agreeing with his initial post and not angry at me for dismissing his qualms and being passive aggressive (though it could be both), then I apologise for any irritation I've caused and will post with more consideration.

I apologise.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 24, 2020

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I don't agree that it's clear cosmetics are coming, emotes are specifically namedropped as are "other registered items"

so yeah I can see accessories being included there, probably. But you don't register outfits or outerwear, for example

I agree it's clear as mud, they are specifically not in the list of Things you ain't Gonna Be Able to Use though, and that list has a note about PSO2 getting the graphic engine update as well. They're letting you use weapons and units in some capacity so they ought to be able to do outfits and outerwear

Specifically they've noted cutting unit models and not letting you use furniture at all, so maybe that frees up staff for redoing outfits

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 24, 2020

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The main thing I'm concerned about is the whole 'classes may not be in at the start' thing.

If it weren't for Bouncer I don't know if I would've kept playing PSO2, honestly. It's such a perfect class for me that doing anything else just feels lackluster, like I'm missing something. It's just too much fun flying around, throwing thousands of photon blades around every second, never having to land, and touching the ceiling regularly if I'm doing the right DPS rotation. And there's even the option of someday learning how jet boots work and actually equipping a pair at some point maybe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

When they add summoner (because like hell that'll be in from the start) I want to be able to fly around on Trim or Redran.

Or hang from Popple like a Nier Automata pod I guess

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's almost certainly coming out very soon after NA hits parity with JP, and in fact they're waiting to release it until then.

Also the whole "Microsoft bankrolled NG" theory kinda falls apart when you remember that they've been working on this for a long time in JP and it isn't availible on the xbox (or specifically windows 10 even) at all over there

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah they're was presumably a large staff cut early in ep5 and now we can start to see where those resources were being spent. I think all MS did was strongarm them into releasing out west with their server plan.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 24, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Because PSO2: NGS and PSO2 will have different game systems, some of their respective elements will be incompatible. The following points will summarize what we can announce at this time.

quote:

Note: While PSO2's graphics engine will be overhauled, its game system will not change. You can play the exact same content that you have until now.

quote:

Character growth will not be shared between PSO2 and PSO2: NGS.
Examples of Character Growth Elements That Are Not Shared With PSO2: NGS
Level
EXP
Class Skills
Photon Arts
Techniques
The game system is changing, but it isn't changing, but also, level again?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The game system is changing, but it isn't changing, but also, level again?

PSO2 and PSO2NGS will basically be different games that are linked together. The "classic" PSO2 will still play the way it does now with no changes to your character or anything, just with a new graphics engine to match with NGS. NGS will have a new combat system and probably new core game loop and will be the one where you'll need to level again and all that, because it's basically a different game.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 24, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Seeing the new enemies in PSO2: NGS are called DOLLS it's just a matter of time until we see a Nopon and we find out this is actually XCX2 in MMO form like XCX wanted to be. :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, I'm dense. I didn't realize they were saying PSO2 is getting a graphics update alongside the creation of NGS. I thought they were describing a difference between 2 and 2NGS.

So it's literally just:
PSO2: Gets shinier
PSO2:NGS: New game with basically a new start, but you get to bring along some stuff.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Oh, I'm dense. I didn't realize they were saying PSO2 is getting a graphics update alongside the creation of NGS. I thought they were describing a difference between 2 and 2NGS.

So it's literally just:
PSO2: Gets shinier
PSO2:NGS: New game with basically a new start, but you get to bring along some stuff.
Yes, basically. You get to bring over most (maybe all?) or your cosmetic stuff, and also some equipment (but it will work differently and anything decent won't be usable from the start).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

It's almost certainly coming out very soon after NA hits parity with JP, and in fact they're waiting to release it until then.

Also the whole "Microsoft bankrolled NG" theory kinda falls apart when you remember that they've been working on this for a long time in JP and it isn't availible on the xbox (or specifically windows 10 even) at all over there

I dont think they bankrolled it, chances are Sega was planning on releasing NG eventually globally as its own stand alone game and microsofts infusion allowed them to port over the PSO2 portions of it as well.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So even though NG isn’t replacing PSO2 there’s no way the original gets any meaningful content updates after NG launches right?
I assume it’s just being kept online to stop people being completely outraged at losing things that don’t carry over to NG and for Sega to have the option to go back to it in case NG somehow ends up being a massive flop.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

why would you shut down a perfectly functional game with a massive amount of content just because a new one's coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Limited human resources mostly. MMOs tend to go into "maintenance mode" if they are successfully replaced by a newer version. But at the same time newer versions might crash and burn and they have development switch back to the older more popular version like what happened to maple story.