Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

I think another reason movies won't get to that point is that pretty much any comic book movie draws inspiration from a small number of "key" stories. Even if the movies aren't direct adaptations, the stories they're looking to for tone, plot, character inspiration, etc., is a fairly small subset of the output. Like with Batman - take away Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and Killing Joke, and that's most of the comics inspiration for the last thirty years of Batman movies. No one's ever going to look to some issue from 1975 where the Joker has to steal Batman's giant penny to make up for getting tricked by a Ponzi scheme or whatever.

Yeah, that plot sounds more typical of a middle-of-season episode of a TV series.

I'd like to see a movie that's just a series of low-stakes short stories or whatever with a cinematic budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, that plot sounds more typical of a middle-of-season episode of a TV series.

I'd like to see a movie that's just a series of low-stakes short stories or whatever with a cinematic budget

Elseworlds: the Movie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One of the upcoming Marvel TV projects is What If?, isn't it?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Elseworlds: the Movie

Too bad Red Son sucked, give us more Gods and Monsters or Crisis on Two Earths.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

No one's ever going to look to some issue from 1975 where the Joker has to steal Batman's giant penny to make up for getting tricked by a Ponzi scheme or whatever.

This is all I want out of a comic book movie.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Chairman Capone posted:

I think another reason movies won't get to that point is that pretty much any comic book movie draws inspiration from a small number of "key" stories. Even if the movies aren't direct adaptations, the stories they're looking to for tone, plot, character inspiration, etc., is a fairly small subset of the output. Like with Batman - take away Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and Killing Joke, and that's most of the comics inspiration for the last thirty years of Batman movies. No one's ever going to look to some issue from 1975 where the Joker has to steal Batman's giant penny to make up for getting tricked by a Ponzi scheme or whatever.

You’re right. I suppose it’s the whole point of the MCU but I would like to see Disney plus or the films branch out a bit. Comics can do some bat poo poo things like Victoria era Spider-Man or cave men avengers. Not necessarily those but I’d love to see some “non canon” or even branch off canon one shots come into the MCU. Joker in DC is completely disconnected (for now). The Batman is planned to be from reports. Dead pool being meta / “off” the x men movies. Logan clearly taking some of the x men films as canon but not all of them. Whether those films or good or not at least they try to do something else with it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Give us a Serious House on Serious Earth movie, cowards

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

Give us a Serious House on Serious Earth movie, cowards

I still want a movie about Batman losing his mind trying to stop this new supervillain that's emerged after years of fighting psycopaths, lunatics, random poors, various themed mafioso, the works, the new guy setting up seemingly harmless pranks but after all this time Batman knows better, and he's just really ramping up the WHERE IS HEs and interrogating random mooks to uncover his twisted plot. Finally, he comes face to face with this Joker, and as he rushes forward to take him down, sets off a trap that just lets out a tremendous whoopie cushion fart right as the news crews show up.

A particularly mild mannered looking reporter starts cracking up and it flashes back to Superman paying off a comedian to turbopiss off Batman because everyone's tired of that lovely rear end in a top hat. Just two hours of trolling Batman and no one's actually in any danger (except the randos Superman hired to act like they're in on it) and there are no stakes at all.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

galenanorth posted:

I'm hoping that this is what the Pattinson Batman is going to end up being. I'm sure it'll end up as another "blow up Gotham City" plot but I have my fingers crossed.

I don't expect a series of low stakes unrelated stories but an overall focus on Batman figuring out a relatively low stakes mystery would be cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Realistically “some people have died and some more might” should already be pretty high stakes, it’s concerning we’ve gotten to a place where that’s too underwhelming

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I want to see it like Dredd where he does a crazy bunch of poo poo over the course of one night, then in the morning he plays it off like it was just a standard adventure

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
Gordon: If this is your idea of Halloween, I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gordon: If this is your idea of Halloween, I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

Batman: Halloween? No, this is just my afternoon rounds.
Gordon: It's 1 AM
Batman: I'm a loving batman, dude

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

New Mutants has a new date of August 28th in theaters

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcU0JKAL5U

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao

I think its likely that we will see WW84 and Black Widow moving to VOD (and eventually D+) before New Mutants does. The former two have marketing partnerships they need to honour whilst New Mutants can keep getting delayed until it can release with little to no competition and make a decent amount.

I'd expect a Mulan VOD announcement within the week with the two big superhero flicks left this year shortly behind.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PriorMarcus posted:

I think its likely that we will see WW84 and Black Widow moving to VOD (and eventually D+) before New Mutants does. The former two have marketing partnerships they need to honour whilst New Mutants can keep getting delayed until it can release with little to no competition and make a decent amount.

I'd expect a Mulan VOD announcement within the week with the two big superhero flicks left this year shortly behind.

I'd be kind of shocked if either of those two movies gets released on VOD. They'd lose out on a ton of money if they get released online. If all the theater chains collapse, I guess this point is moot.

What marketing partnership would force them to release either of those movies this year?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao

That's my dad's birthday.

:ohdear:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao

loving liars lmao.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao

Here's the first two minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxbLw68QRU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

loving liars lmao.

I mean, it is their job.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

I mean, it is their job.

New Mutants never coming out has become my favorite story in Hollywood. Their insistence on not just releasing it to digital is hilarious to me. Does it star some producer’s nephew or something? Is some Thanksgiving going to be very awkward if it gets released direct to iTunes?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Probably some odd contractual obligation that seemed completely innocent when the movie was made in 1943

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

At this point I expect all the theater chains to go under and Disney buys them for nothing, Thus ensuring a thousand years of Avengers sequels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

As of yesterday Mulan is indefinitely postponed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crackbone posted:

At this point I expect all the theater chains to go under and Disney buys them for nothing, Thus ensuring a thousand years of Avengers sequels.

Given the power and influence of Disney, and this inevitable outcome, perhaps they orchestrated all of this... :tinfoil:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney was, financially, eating poo poo during Covid and was considered a possible acquisition target a couple months ago.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Barudak posted:

Disney was, financially, eating poo poo during Covid and was considered a possible acquisition target a couple months ago.

Was? We’re still in a pandemic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Barudak posted:

Which companies were considering buying Disney?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could you imagine if Endgame was slated to come out a year later? Holy poo poo that would have been something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Which companies were considering buying Disney?

Rumor was Apple.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah apple was the suggested buyer.

Edward Mass posted:

Was? We’re still in a pandemic.

I didn't check in lately with the parks reopening/more subscribers to D+, so I hedged my quotes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Barudak posted:

I didn't check in lately with the parks reopening/more subscribers to D+, so I hedged my quotes.

I looked at CNBC, and they said Disney’s not going to be at pre-pandemic finances until 2025.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Crackbone posted:

There’d have to be a change in the law that prevents studios from owning theaters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spacebump posted:

There’d have to be a change in the law that prevents studios from owning theaters.

The DOJ opened the review in 2019 and plans to phase it out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Barudak posted:

:tinfoil: Rather convenient timing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spacebump posted:

I expect that to be gutted just like every other monopoly-preventing regulation has been over the past 50 years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

Look at this guy. Pretending laws still matter.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Their claim, if I remember correctly, was "there's now enough alternative pathways to reach audiences these days, like Netflix, that the protections this decision had are no longer applicable to the market and ergo it should be phased out".

In other words, "Hollywood lobbying finally paid up enough, and the right people are crooked enough, for us to let them monopolize the exhibitor industry again. We figure no one's going to notice because everyone's watching Netflix and Hulu instead of going out to the movies".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Barudak posted:

We could have a completely different DOJ next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

We could have a completely different DOJ next year.

Whether Biden or Trump is president you know the DoJ is gonna be all corporate shills