Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

R.E.M. has a few of those. “S. Central Rain” is someone upset that they can’t call their girlfriend/boyfriend because storms out West have downed all the long distance lines.

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

And in the 00s at least half of song lyrics online were put there by some rando who often misheard the words.

It's not much better now honestly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now we get the actual lyrics (or close enough) but with excruciatingly detailed footnotes by some rando analysing them.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

postmodifier posted:

Excuse me, while I kiss this guy

Queen's never published the lyrics for Mustapha. There isn't a 100% consensus on what Freddie Mercury was singing. Since Queen didn't provide much of the background vocals ("hey!"), it's possible they never asked and Mercury never told.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then there's "Western Union" - a 60s classic:

Man, sending a breakup note collect. Harsh.

"Telegraphic" as a synonym for "shortened" is something, too. Textspeak is similar but not the same. The legend goes that a press agent once wired Cary Grant.

HOW OLD CARY GRANT

Grant replied

OLD CARY GRANT FINE HOW YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now we get the actual lyrics (or close enough) but with excruciatingly detailed footnotes by some rando analysing them.
"Smoke that reefer, smoke it" may possibly be a metaphor for marijuana because reefer is a slang word for marijuana.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

postmodifier posted:

My very first job was working a million years ago for sears-roebuck (RIP) and we had to use those card impression machines pretty much every day because the store's technology back then was literally unix terminal holdovers from something like the early 60s and would constantly fail. We always affectionately called them "knuckle-busters", but when the credit card system failed for over a day at my current job, I asked if we had one and literally nobody, I mean nobody, had any loving idea what I was talking about, across a group of about 13 other people of varied ages.

Now, the response to the power being out or the phone line being fried is "sorry, cash only".

Oooh the only time I’ve ever seen one of those used when I had a credit card was on a small island in the South Pacific... eighteen years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm just going to post the entire lyrics of Meri Wilson's 1977 novelty hit song "Telephone Man" because in 2020 they may as well be written in Linear A

quote:

I rented my apartment
On a Monday at one
A-singin' do lolly, lolly
Shicky bum, shicky bum
Started movin' in it
On a Tuesday at two
A-singin' do lolly, lolly
Shicky do, shicky do
Wednesday at three
I called the phone company, singin'
Hey baby, put a phone in for me
Thursday at four
He came a-knockin' at my door, singin'
Hey, baby, I'm your telephone man
You just show me where you want it
And I'll put it where I can
I can put it in the bedroom
I can put it in the hall
I can put it in the bathroom
I can hang it on the wall
You can have it with the buzz
You can have it with the ring
And if you really want it
You can have a ding-a-ling
Because-a hey baby
I'm your telephone man
Can you believe that?
And then he says
Now when other fellas call ya
Tell 'em how it all began
Well, can you imagine?
My heart began a-thumpin'
And my mind began to fly
And I knew I wasn't dealin'
With no ordinary guy
So while he was a-talking
I was thinkin' up my plan
Then my fingers did the walkin'
On the telephone man
Singin hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Get it any way you can
Right? Ha, ha, ha, so
I got it in the bedroom
And I got it in the hall
And I got it in the bathroom
And he hung it on the wall
I got it with a buzz
And I got it with a ring
And when he told me
What my number was
I got a ding-a-ling
A-singin hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Just-a doin' my thing
Ha, ha... I've never done anything
Like this before

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a gorgeous Jim Croce song called "Operator" about a guy trying to call his girlfriend and talking to the long-distance operator about the relationship; "you can keep the dime" refers, of course, to the money he put in the pay phone.

There's a great Kinky Friedman song, Western Union Wire, about a telegram; it depends on your knowing that telegrams had STOP at the end of each sentence.

Dr. Hook has Sylvia’s Mother

And the operator says, '40 cents more for the next 3 minutes'
Please Mrs. Avery, I just gotta talk to her
I'll only keep her a while
Please Mrs. Avery, I just wanna tell 'er goodbye

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm just going to post the entire lyrics of Meri Wilson's 1977 novelty hit song "Telephone Man" because in 2020 they may as well be written in Linear A

I think loving the repairman/cable guy is still a common enough motif that that doesn’t seem too foreign? Telephone man, like the classic horny milkman, might be antiquated, but i think most zoomers old enough to get loving the visiting help would still be aware of the concept of landlines, and none of the other lyrics seem particularly dated.

That said I thought of this thread when staring at a phone jack in my older apartment and wondering how many Youths would know what it is.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 21, 2020

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder if the rando footnotes, like the boring personal stories on recipe sites, exist entirely for SEO purposes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I think loving the repairman/cable guy is still a common enough motif that that doesn’t seem too foreign? Telephone man, like the classic horny milkman, might be antiquated, but i think most zoomers old enough to get loving the visiting help would still be aware of the concept of landlines, and none of the other lyrics seem particularly dated.

That said I thought of this thread when staring at a phone jack in my older apartment and wondering how many Youths would know what it is.

Yeah you can glean the major themes from context clues but some of the specifics are utterly alien. No one's going to get that "let your fingers do the walking" reference.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Lots of them, in :britain: at least - it's where you plug in your ADSL modem. (Cable internet is fairly rare over here, basically only Virgin - everyone else is ADSL)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I really just want to write the modern Operator song.

I guess it would be a song to a sys-admin?

"I sent her an email, it got marked by you as spam
but I want to let her know that I'm willing to be her man
can't you send it through
isn't that something that sys-admins do?
Now my love isn't like linux, because it is closed sourced
and it's proprietary software that will never run its course
in terms you'd understand
she's m'lady, and I'm her man"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Carried that printer all the way to her house
Walked back home heartbroken, I had just met her spouse

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah you can glean the major themes from context clues but some of the specifics are utterly alien. No one's going to get that "let your fingers do the walking" reference.

You don't have to be that old to remember the slogan; ads were still using it in the 90s.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pontius Pilate posted:

Lol the house we just moved into has a phone jack and a coaxial cable jack in every. loving. room.

We have the internet plugged into fibre in the corner of the living room. The rest are just annoying blemishes on the wall.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Safety Biscuits posted:

You don't have to be that old to remember the slogan; ads were still using it in the 90s.

In Australia that slogan was overtaken by 'Not, happy, Jan' an ad that ran in the early 2000's for the deadline for Yellow Pages submissions. It's still in the vernacular.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Safety Biscuits posted:

I don't want to ruin your day, but 1990 was 30 years ago.

Also; your haircut is outdated, you don't suit those jeans and you are using modern slang all wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cemetry Gator posted:

I really just want to write the modern Operator song.

I guess it would be a song to a sys-admin?

"I sent her an email, it got marked by you as spam
but I want to let her know that I'm willing to be her man
can't you send it through
isn't that something that sys-admins do?
Now my love isn't like linux, because it is closed sourced
and it's proprietary software that will never run its course
in terms you'd understand
she's m'lady, and I'm her man"

I was born in the 90s. I'm 26. I'm still in college. I have no idea what any of this means.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/3RA4MykPm4s

This song or variations of it is half the content of the this thread, not without reason.

Edited because I read the above post and thought I was in the working IT thread, sorry!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 24, 2020

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Okay but what about Rapid Roy the Stock Car Boy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This isn't actually media, but.

My daughter's charming 20th-century apartment has a small open arch in the wall between the kitchen and the living room. They thought it was a food pass-through, but my husband took one look and said "It has a phone jack." I had to explain to my daughter that the phone company charged you extra for each phone handset in the house, so putting a phone in a passthrough arch meant you could answer phone calls from both the kitchen and the living room.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

Okay but what about Rapid Roy the Stock Car Boy

Honestly...listening to that nowadays Roy driving 100mph smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth sounds fairly modern. Like what camera was he smiling at in 1970?

Nowadays you've got red light, CCTV, cell phones, etc...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol the house we just moved into has a phone jack and a coaxial cable jack in every. loving. room.

We have the internet plugged into fibre in the corner of the living room. The rest are just annoying blemishes on the wall.

If you own the home it’s pretty baby simple to cut the drywall, tuck the wires, and do a replacement drywall patch.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was born in the 90s. I'm 26. I'm still in college. I have no idea what any of this means.

Well, today is the day I finally embrace death.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have no idea what any of this means.

Email? Spam emails?
An email system incorrectly marking something as spam?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Captain Monkey posted:

If you own the home it’s pretty baby simple to cut the drywall, tuck the wires, and do a replacement drywall patch.

Please terminate them with safety caps. Power surges are a thing.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I know this is a derail but it just needs to be stated for the record that this is the far superior Operator song relative to the Jim Croce one

https://youtu.be/3MZeol_aMAM

edit: to bring it back on topic, another lost reference from the song beyond the operator, is “house of blue lights”. I suspect this was probably lost 10-20 years ago at least so it’s not freshly lost per se, but I personally didn’t know what it was and it wasn’t immediately obvious from a quick google. Some references to a house in like Indiana or Ohio with a lot of blue Christmas lights left up year round, and some to some kind of haunted house folk story. Dug a little more and seems like it’s actually a reference to a bar/club in Chicago from the 40s that was popularized in a song: http://artsites.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/operator.html

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 25, 2020

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
All the talk about telephone operators in songs got this one stuck in my head, so I have to add it to the thread's collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVaommgPLU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhDS4NgbpYs

(Retro, I guess. They were in highschool at the time! )

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Please terminate them with safety caps. Power surges are a thing.

Yes please do that too. It’s still quite easy and safety caps are cheap.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Captain Monkey posted:

Sadly we do not, but the landlords do seem fairly enthusiastic about renovation projects (one is a professional handyman). There are some other projects that might be higher priority though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If we're just doing operator songs now I'm game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjZzK7c0Sc

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

If we're just doing operator songs now I'm game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjZzK7c0Sc

Well, I was just shitposting because I'm sick of the topic, but I actually really enjoyed that song so idk.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Cemetry Gator posted:

I heard ELO's Telephone Line today, and I realized the song sung to the operator is a trope that makes no sense. Nowadays, he'd leave a text, or a voicemail, and be on with it.

Still would have blue days and black nights, doo wah doo lang.

Peak telephone, peak 80's, peak shelley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5oz8b3UJM

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The entire musical Bells are Ringing. The heroine works taking phone messages for people, and falls in love with one of her invisible clients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVEOg_ZW1Zw

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 25, 2020

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Speaking of music, the bazooka is an instrument, kind of like a trombone. The anti tank weapon resembles one, so got nicknamed bazooka. Now the nickname is far more popular then the reference.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

neaden posted:

Speaking of music, the bazooka is an instrument, kind of like a trombone. The anti tank weapon resembles one, so got nicknamed bazooka. Now the nickname is far more popular then the reference.

Holy cow. The Wiki article has a picture, btw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka_(instrument)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy cow. The Wiki article has a picture, btw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka_(instrument)

Eh, looks more like a panzerfaust to me