Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I went to TK Maxx and they told me at the door that I couldn't try on clothes but I could try on shoes but since I was wearing sandals I'd have to borrow a pair of shoe trying on socks. I just wanted to buy a cake tin.

It's me, the pair of borrowed COVID socks

Pistol_Pete posted:

I also still love Civ 4 and its wonderful World map, which I've played out every conceivable scenario on. Am now tempted to fire it up and see if THIS time, I can win as the Incas, on their godawful starting position.

I think if you do it by cumulative hours spent, I would come out with Civ II, which is in many ways a life wasted

I also put a lot of hours into Civ: Call to Power which was for people who wanted a way to micromanage poo poo even harder, but now you can build a televangelist unit and also a wonder that makes you lose the game, that was a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i liked civ rev

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Never occurred to me we werent allowed this?

cheers bobby and njan, I can keep hold of it.

I am STILL playing civ V and ghandi is STILL a loving warmonger

Cyril Sneeer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 24, 2020

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Cyril Sneeer posted:

but when he dies what do I do with it? It is a family heirloom, something my grandad earnt. I cant get rid of it in an amnesty/weigh it in for scrap.

can I do what my grandad did, just lie to poils that I don't have an offensive weapon and hide it in a cupboard?

it's legal to own a sword in the UK, there are a couple of dudes on youtube who have houses full of the things - you can get 18th/19th century cavalry swords pretty cheap, since they were mass-produced at the time

it'd be classed as an offensive weapon if you were running around the park with it, but that would also apply for a heavy wrench or a rock you found on the floor that looks like a tortoise but isn't

there's an exception to that for anything with a curved blade over 50cm (a gurkha blade is curved but I think would be smaller), which is essentially because they wanted to ban samurai swords from being sold to people from middlesbrough even though they couldn't in practice define what one is, but that excludes anything that's an antique or traditionally made

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ratjaculation posted:

Witcher 3 made Skyrim unplayable for me.

Skyrim is barely playable even if you've only played games that came out years before it. I tried but holy hell is it a clunky mess in every respect. It's also ugly as sin.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

i've got a "kukri" (a lovely cheap knock off one) that i bought on ebay years ago for the novelty. reading the above it looks like it's fine since the blade's only about 23cm long, and obviously i don't carry it around with me. it was sold to me blunt and i've never bothered sharpening it.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
My friend has a big machete we use to carve lamb if he cooks lamb is that allowed.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

If you have £750 lying around, you can get your own genuine Civil War sword and injure people at parties

https://www.antique-swords.com/R63-English-Civil-War.html

That or buy 10 grams of good coke and injure people at parties

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i am confused at how the law says you are not allowed to sell swords and yet there are still entire websites that revolve around swords and the sale thereof

mostly because i want a gladius

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i am confused at how the law says you are not allowed to sell swords and yet there are still entire websites that revolve around swords and the sale thereof

mostly because i want a gladius

hmm yeah, my brother is in reanactment and i was looking at swords to buy him for his dorky viking stuff. i settled on a little bone handle knife instead but there's definitely very easy access to swords which are sharp.

Cyril Sneeer posted:

My grandad on my mums side it threatening to leave me his kukri (he was in gurka signals).

I do not know what to do with this thing, it is a loving sharp sword by all accounts. Currently my grandad keeps in in the bottom of the wardrobe for 'home defence'. alright gramps

but when he dies what do I do with it? It is a family heirloom, something my grandad earnt. I cant get rid of it in an amnesty/weigh it in for scrap.

can I do what my grandad did, just lie to poils that I don't have an offensive weapon and hide it in a cupboard?

this actually sounds cool as hell

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

hmm yeah, my brother is in reanactment and i was looking at swords to buy him for his dorky viking stuff. i settled on a little bone handle knife instead but there's definitely very easy access to swords which are sharp.
the knife is a good choice because the list of requirements for a reenactment sword are usually bloody huge, whereas the knife shows you care in that general direction

the roman gladius is a cool rear end sword though because the pommel does 90% of the work in terms of balance, historically it was so successful because it was so bloody easy to use with very little training

some viking short swords have similar pommel weights but the balance still ends up nearer the middle of the blade, even though they also usually have crossguards

sword experts will argue other blades were more effective and had a larger range of possible techniques but you usually need to train with them for years. a gladius you just pick up and start swinging so your standing army needs less training for its reinfforcements and conscripts

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

absolutely no law which says you can't buy and sell swords, other than the aforementioned 50cm rule for cheap replica weapons

there's a list of stuff which is explicitly banned from sale, which includes crossbows, butterfly knives, knuckle dusters, and then a bunch of absolutely ridiculous "ninja" stuff including shurikens and foot claws which have never harmed a human being in history

the argument would presumably be that teenagers are more likely to go into a novelty shop and start flinging throwing stars at each other than they are to buy a Napoleonic infantry sword and chase each other round the park with it, but the actual reason is that a bunch of parents in the 80s were worried that their children would grow up to be actual ninjas in feudal Japan and that's why we have Super Mutant Hero Turtles

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i bought a crossbow when i was 15. i lied to the shop owner and said i was 16 but then when i got home i read the package and it was for 18s only lol

i forgot i shared it with my buddy and somehow his mum saw it and binned it. he was a loving twat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

teenage mutant [ninja / hero] turtles

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i kind of want a crossbow

my gran in law gave the sister in law her bows but we do not have any arrows

she has a mechanical bow in her room but i guess i cant use that one even though i have the upper body strength of a 92 year old accountant

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

do you guys remember those shops which used to sell bongs, knives, army gear, legal highs and bb guns? i miss those places

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

teenage mutant [ninja / hero] turtles

d'oh

i only have brain space for important sword facts and for how to win at call to power by switching to an ecotopian government and spamming eco-nukes that completely erase enemy cities and return them to nature

one day, sunderland, one day

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A recurve with the wheels? The draw on those is pretty small. It's hard to do at first though, you need a set of muscles working together in a way they normally don't. Holding the pose hurts like hell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

do you guys remember those shops which used to sell bongs, knives, army gear, legal highs and bb guns? i miss those places

There's a "hunting and fishing" shop in town that seems to mostly sell dodgy knives, crossbows, airguns and a small selection of fishing tackle. They have a set of samurai swords for sale in the window, I somehow doubt they're museum grade pieces.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

goatface posted:

There's a "hunting and fishing" shop in town that seems to mostly sell dodgy knives, crossbows, airguns and a small selection of fishing tackle. They have a set of samurai swords for sale in the window, I somehow doubt they're museum grade pieces.

probably straight from BUDK but that shop sounds cool as heck. i'd probably get beat up if i stepped inside though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
gently caress me just went to budgens for the chickpeas and coconut milk I didn't get earlier and forgot the bleeding mask again

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress me just went to budgens for the chickpeas and coconut milk I didn't get earlier and forgot the bleeding mask again

take your pants off and use it as a mask

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

goatface posted:

A recurve with the wheels? The draw on those is pretty small. It's hard to do at first though, you need a set of muscles working together in a way they normally don't. Holding the pose hurts like hell.

its called a compound bow! they're far easier to draw and hold than a comparable recurve thanks to the cams on them, but yeah the muscles used to draw a bow aren't really commonly used so it takes a lot of time to build them up and make them stronger

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

ours was called "the curiosity shop", i think it had a no under 16s rule that was never enforced and i used to buy stink bombs from there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vitamins posted:

its called a compound bow!

That's the word I couldn't find. Archery seems like it would be a fun hobby if I had a spare few acres of field.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

google for an archery club near you and see if they do beginner shoots if you're interested. most clubs have an indoor space to practice in and connections to outdoor shoots for when the weather is good. they're generally really receptive to new members

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There might be an archery club near you, we used to go to one years ago.

Just got back from Morrisons and everyone was masked up. Slightly disappointed as I'd massively hyped myself up about how I was going to give a massive telling off to the non mask wearing scum and then sweet chin music them into one of those big pyramids of cans. Then I'd quip something cool like "cleanup on aisle three" as I strode away

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Made myself tacos for tea tonight. I started the filling without much of a plan, just fried up some onions and garlic, browned some pork, chucked in some tinned tomatoes and then just added spices until it tasted good. It's a fun way of doing things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Party Boat posted:

Just got back from Morrisons and everyone was masked up. Slightly disappointed as I'd massively hyped myself up about how I was going to give a massive telling off to the non mask wearing scum and then sweet chin music them into one of those big pyramids of cans. Then I'd quip something cool like "cleanup on aisle three" as I strode away

more proof that southerners are monsters

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i like solefald and i like this thread and everyone os going insane right now and it makes me sad

what is everyones favourite video game

I'm in Wales, where there is no mask mandate, and everyone is behaving like everything is normal.

I just put flea-stuff on my cat, and it's raining, so hes inside and meowing incessantly as the fleas act up as they die.

I've been playing the poo poo out of the new Samurai game - Ghost of Tsushima, and find myself composing very bad haiku when out in the real world.

Without a Mask.
No thought for others.
Cheesecake lung soon.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

was feeling incredibly unappreciated so ordered myself a small pizza and am going to chill all night with some games

also my favourite game is metal gear solid 3, can't be beat

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

quote:

Without a Mask.
No thought for others.
Cheesecake lung soon.

Foolish government
Forgives the trip to castle
Stay alert, save lives

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i like solefald and i like this thread and everyone os going insane right now and it makes me sad

what is everyones favourite video game

Worms.

None of the remakes

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not worms 2?

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Jose posted:

more proof that southerners are monsters

Punch another horse

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Katty! posted:

was feeling incredibly unappreciated so ordered myself a small pizza and am going to chill all night with some games

bit late now but youy should join us for jackbox

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Party Boat posted:

there is, but everyone there knows my in laws and are a bit arsey

perils of living in a small town that thinks it is a big town

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Katty! posted:

Hello fellow UK thread poster goon, you are one of us, therefore, appreciated :glomp:

Also, describe your pizza.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

im going to see if i can get some pizza dough, passata, garlic & herbs, pepperoni and vegan cheeses and make my own goddamn pizza since none of the local pizza places are offering it as an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Jose posted:

bit late now but youy should join us for jackbox

i'm in the discord (and have been for ages) but i don't think i've even sent a message yet lol, will try to get on and play some jackbox next week

Galewolf posted:

Hello fellow UK thread poster goon, you are one of us, therefore, appreciated :glomp:

Also, describe your pizza.

:glomp: i hope i don't get crucified for this but i got the 'cheeseburger' pizza from dominos since i had a discount code handy, it's...a little weird but the sauce they put on top actually works really well with the rest of the toppings! pity there's no actual decent pizza places near me but there's no shortage of Chinese and Indian takeaways; should've just ordered a box of onion bhajis, the ones out of my local place are so good