Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found out about bananas through following some flw angler's youtube channels. They all agreed it was a dumb superstition, but were too scared to go against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gd87JmkAkE

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

TY. My new fishing goal is I wanna go striper fishing with Dean Ween one day

http://www.mickeysfishing.com/

e: I wanna ask him about fly fishing but I'm scared he'll make fun of me

I live about 20 minutes from Deaner and see his boat on the Delaware a lot. He's a super chill dude by all accounts, and one hell of a striper angler.

I've been wanting to get people together for a charter, but my friends who fish don't know ween, and my friends who like ween don't fish. Or at least they don't spend private charter money on fishing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hogs were on sale on Amazon. I love me some good hog.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

LingcodKilla posted:

WA allowed party boats already. It's not really a party you know.

Bananas is a long time cursed fruit. I recall all the boats in CA had the same rule.

Yeah the party boats are running here in CA. They're all half capacity with the price raised a bit, it's been great!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I never caught anything but carp with these. But that was okay, carp put up a hell of a fight, even if I didn't get to eat them.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

I've been wanting to get people together for a charter, but my friends who fish don't know ween, and my friends who like ween don't fish. Or at least they don't spend private charter money on fishing.

your fishing thread friends do

Elmnt80 posted:

I found out about bananas through following some flw angler's youtube channels. They all agreed it was a dumb superstition, but were too scared to go against it.

I ate a banana on the boat at lunch the day I caught my tarpon after like 7 full 10 hour days on the water trying total :smugbert:

And then guide I fish with in Sebastian told me he knows a marlin guide who won't let his clients wear fruit of the loom underwear because there's a banana on the logo

joem83 posted:

Yeah the party boats are running here in CA. They're all half capacity with the price raised a bit, it's been great!
that sounds ideal

rndmnmbr posted:

I never caught anything but carp with these. But that was okay, carp put up a hell of a fight, even if I didn't get to eat them.
Yes, carp are fun as all get out to catch, but usually very hard to hook in my experience, so if you have something that works well for that then gently caress yeah. I heard about some big koi in a river around here, but the guy that posted a pic of it on instagram is kinda a "famous" "influencer" and I know he uses DUBIOUS TACTICS to catch big trout, so idk.

e: to expound on that a little, his "dubious tactics" range from hilarious (guiding trophy trout clients with a pocket full of fish food "we gotta make sure they have a good time out here") to loving abhorrent (snagging/intentionally foul hooking very old, very large trout with heavy leader on the fly line so he can pose with his hog on the gram). Aside from the fact that that is cruel and very likely to kill fish that you're supposed to be catching and releasing, I feel like if you can't catch trout, with flies, that they ate, then hey maybe you shouldn't be famous on the internet for being good at catching huge trout, but hey I'm not here to judge anybody you know what I mean

I gotta friend who used to wreck bass and he mostly used hogs when he used plastics. I kinda got him converted to the trout life in the past year or so though

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 24, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I fish bass like a madman but fishing goon discord makes a valid argument for the trout life.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

I also crab a bit on the west coast.

Party boats sound super boring to me but you might laugh at this..

My '68 9.5 evinrude broke down last night at southworth and I got to row prettttttay far to get home. Ended up walking along the shore and dragging it because the drift was against me heh heh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Party boats sound super boring to me but you might laugh at this..

My '68 9.5 evinrude broke down last night at southworth and I got to row prettttttay far to get home. Ended up walking along the shore and dragging it because the drift was against me heh heh.

Man we need to hook up once I’m back home.

And after you fix your engine.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

PNW meetup imo

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I can't really fish anymore for reasons but I've spent the last 3 years power-feeding the fish in my pond and I think the word is out the jig is up etc., cause there are people fishing here now literally every day. Toss a line in pull up a Bluegill all day every day. You wanna catch a bunch of Bluegill the secret is out have at it goons.

Edit: I can pobably put you up on my futon but I will also probably feed you alcohol.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

You're not allowed to mention Ween on his boat apparently, and no bananas (presumably blow is cool)

Deaner and Les Claypool were gonna have a reality show where they went fishing together, dunno if it ever actually came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3AXMb8S1tI

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

e: I wanna ask him about fly fishing but I'm scared he'll make fun of me

Les would be cool with it at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYCU9EUA1Q

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I need to do more fly fishing, my buddy and I are pretty bad at it so the stuff has mostly sat idle since we got spinning rods.

SPEAKING OF SPINNING RODS

I have two. One is a Daiwa minispin combo, which I quite like, except the reel broke and now spins freely in both directions which is not ideal. The second I have is one of those Ugly Stik "elite" combos, which I'm sure is dumb but I quite like as well.

I'm planning on just swapping the reel off the ugly stik onto the minispin (and just deal with the weight penalty to that). That leaves my main rod without a reel, so I'll need a new one, ideally better than the combo reel but around the same size. Any reels in the $50 and under price range that would be an improvement I should look into?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Just in case you didnt check, on the reel that spins both ways, see if there's a little switch on the bottom that got bumped into the unlocked position!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Just in case you didnt check, on the reel that spins both ways, see if there's a little switch on the bottom that got bumped into the unlocked position!

If it's this I'm going to be really mad at myself

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nah checked it's actually broken, my pride can remain intact even if my wallet will not.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

Man we need to hook up once I’m back home.

And after you fix your engine.

Yea we get past covid I'll host a loving party at my place no doubt. I enjoy hanging with salty experienced people but I what I really enjoy is taking the new fishergoons out. Ain't nothing like mooching for monsters in the sound with people who dont know what's down there

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit the beach yesterday for the incoming tide. Caught a dozen whiting but only three keepers, a baby pompano the size of my hand and several catfish. Used the sand flea rake for most of the bait but also had a half bag of ancient freezer burned bait shrimp that worked just fine.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Caught this guy today

Friend didn't get any great pics of the fish itself, so have a cropped one. Easily the largest bass I've ever caught, I was just loving around at a local spot, hooked a tiny lil guy, and as I was reeling him in two or three feet from shore this big guy just slammed the smaller fish. Didn't even have him hooked, just was hanging on. Once I got it over land he ditched the little fish and went to the ground, so please excuse the dirt. What a loving blast, totally get why people go after these.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hard to tell the size from the pic, how big was it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We call that type of catch a hitchhiker. Nice.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
2 weekends straight where I was skunked on everything except panfish. No bass, no pickerel, no carp, not even a loving catfish. gently caress

Fishing owns, except for when it doesn't -- then it eats poo poo and is stupid.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I pretty much only fish when it's nice out because then the worst case scenario is I spent some time outside on a nice day

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

prom candy posted:

I pretty much only fish when it's nice out because then the worst case scenario is I spent some time outside on a nice day

This is my fishing philosophy right here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Throw some crawfish traps out to diversify your portfolio.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

2 weekends straight where I was skunked on everything except panfish. No bass, no pickerel, no carp, not even a loving catfish. gently caress

Feeling this, might start fishing for panfish now just for action

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Jump King posted:

I just assume it's going to be a panfish day, and if bass show up it's a bonus!

I haven't been out too much later due to a combo of family health issues and absolutely murderous weather, it's always great when it feels like getting into the bath when I step in with my waders :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jump King posted:

Man, I gotta have 3 pounders on the line just to feel something. Shooting hooks between my toes nowadays

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

LingcodKilla posted:

Throw some crawfish traps out to diversify your portfolio.

Yo, I'm totally doing this next time I'm cattin and carpin. Gonna try a diy coke bottle dealie and see how it goes then maybe scale up. The stink of a fresh bluegill head should bring in the cats too.

I've never rigged crawfish before. I figure you just hook em through the tail and live line em like you would live shrimp?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Saw a guy catch a tailless whiting the other day. Full grown adult fish without any sort of tail, just a well healed over old scar. I didn't think that was possible.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I went fly fishing last night on the Monocacy and got a smallmouth and a pumpkinseed. Water was low, so we started off with minnow streamers then went to a black popper for topwater. Feels good man

I need to work on my casting, of course. Guy I went with is a guide and its just amazing watching him cast.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think popper fishing is just fun as hell. You get some explosive hits

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Someone in the discord (Come join us! https://discord.gg/hJQ3KE ) asked me to do an effort post on how to spot rip currents. There was a well-developed rip at the beach today, so I took a quick video to show what to look for. Spotting rips is key to beach fishing because big fish that you want to catch enter the trough system within casting distance of the beach through the cut punched by the rip current. Having every fish you want to catch within a couple yards of your bait is a winning strategy.

Where I was sitting, there was a shallow sandbar (bad for fishing) all the way along to the rip. You can easily identify shallow sandbars by the fact that the waves wash all the way into the beach and land on the beach with no energy. Look for that in the video. There is no trough here today. I'll post a trough :effortpost: when I get a good video.

The rip is very well developed and easy to spot, as far as they go. Key factors to observe in the video: The waves never break, all the way in. There is no wash on top. There are suds being carried out past the breakers. The waves break harder on the beach than anywhere else in view. The water appears to run back out to sea over the top of the waves. All those things together indicate a big rip current and a cut in the outer bar. If it wasn't too busy to fish, that's where I'd set up.

When spotting rips and structure at the beach, it's more about watching over time. You can't just take a snap shot and be confident. Watch the waves break. If they always break in a recurring pattern, it's due to structure under the water. Caveat: Sometimes a massive roller will break even over the best rip current. For reference, the rip is hitting the beach where the group of 6 people are standing in the upper left corner.

https://i.imgur.com/BwVjmi2.mp4
Yes, there are two people swimming right in the middle of the rip current.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 27, 2020

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
To piggyback on Dik Hz's post here's some drone shots I took of the same beach about a week apart

on this first shot you can see the waves breaking on a sandbar and there's a decent trough near the shore. There are two rips and the guy in the photo is fishing right in the middle of them.

a week later the sand is gone in this shot, it's higher tide, and the waves are breaking on the shore. It's fairly deep right off the beach and tricky to find a spot that's better than any where else. Since the waves aren't really churning up the crustaceans in an obvious way I just hork it out there and see what happens on days like that.

On this beach most days are like the first photo, so it pays to take a few minutes at the start to try to see what the surf is doing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This poo poo is so valuable for surf fishing. Thank you both!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Also valuable to know; If caught in a rip current while swimming, don't panic! It's just pulling you out a bit, not under. Swim parallel to shore to escape, or let it take you out past the breakers, swim up/down shore a bit, then come in. Or signal to a lifeguard if you're having problems, they'll be keeping an eye on the rip currents.

I'm so sick of panicking weak swimmers dying on my beach

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Did someone say dickspoons?

My personal best anything, probably 3 pounds or so, maybe 14 inches? Strong little fellow and good fun to catch.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It has begun. 7 days and a wake up!

I've got 9 more coming :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Gooch181 posted:

Those are awesome. (I also bet they slay fish)

Dik Hz posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Thief-Obsession-Natural-History/dp/110198161X

So, those old fly patterns are completely ineffective compared to your basic wooly bugger, and purely designed to show off the status of the fly-tier.

This is back from the first page, but I wanted to point out that fly fishing snobs have spent the last fifteen years or so tying themselves up in knots over the idea that literal pieces of janitor mops are dominating over their precious artisanal flies.

https://flylordsmag.com/featured-fly-pattern-the-mop/
https://www.keystoneflyfisher.com/post/three-flies-to-use-when-nobody-s-watching
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/the-mop-fly/152098

From a paywalled WSJ article:

Fly Fishing Renegades Are Cleaning Up—With Kitchen Mops posted:

Standing in a chilly Adirondack river, Lance Egan made a bold move in his bid to win the U.S. National Fly Fishing Championships in June. He tied on the mop fly.

In a tradition-bound sport, where purists lure fish with tiny ersatz insects crafted of feathers and fur, the mop fly doesn’t look much like a bug. In an affront to tradition, it instead looks exactly like what it is: a fuzzy strand cut from a cheap mop and tied to a hook. Mr. Egan uses fluorescent greenish yellow.

For more than a century, the aim of fly-fishing purists has been to woo trout with imitations of the insects they eat—whether olive-hued mayflies floating downstream after mating or emerging midge pupae; never part of a mop.

The catch is fish love the mop fly. “When it works, you roll with it,” says 38-year-old Mr. Egan of Lehi, Utah, a top competitive flyfisher.

Others aren’t biting. “I don’t want to sound, like, arrogant, but I’m almost too proud to fish it,” says Pennsylvania competitive angler Sam Plyler.

Mr. Plyler says the mop fly is great at catching trout, eliciting aggressive, un-trout-like behavior from fish usually content to wait for food to drift their way. In fact, he says, it is too good. The mop fly tilts fly-fishing’s delicate balance between man and trout.

“Where do we draw the line?” Mr. Plyler asks.