Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

I'd recommend PC, but that's me, the game runs 100% smoother on PC provided you aren't using a shitbox, you can increase your FOV and mouse is obviously better than controller.

The FOV thing is pretty big, plus you can actually see stuff on a PC/monitor; I'm pointing out stuff to console players constantly when I'm spectating because they can't see it either due to poo poo rendering or the lower FOV.

I was gonna get it on the PC but I couldn't find it for cheap so I'll stick to the One X for now.

I'll probably pick it up for the PC if I ever see it on sale though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The campaign also has some bewildering war crime, uh, rewriting? (Google highway of death and modern warfare) and they do this thing with the middle eastern terrorist organization where they mention several times that they're not about religion, guys and it comes off as kind of weird and condescending because obviously they're creating "fight the Muslim terrorists" scenarios while covering their rear end.

But it's really cinematic, the freedom fighters in not-Iraq are very cool and good characters, the protag characters are mostly good, and there's a lot of fun guns and lingo and military tech and stuff and I had a real good time with it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Black Griffon posted:

The campaign also has some bewildering war crime, uh, rewriting? (Google highway of death and modern warfare) and they do this thing with the middle eastern terrorist organization where they mention several times that they're not about religion, guys and it comes off as kind of weird and condescending because obviously they're creating "fight the Muslim terrorists" scenarios while covering their rear end.

Eh, this is less farfetched than you'd think based on how broad a brush the region gets painted with. I kind of got the vibe that the "protagonist" insurgent/terrorist group was sort of a YPG expy, and they are pretty secular.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that in all continuities Price doesn't give a poo poo about order of operations and running ideas up the chain, he does what he wants because it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission. Of course in MW2 this resulted in him firing an EMP nuke at the united states but let's not split hairs

edit: Also having recently played them the 360-era COD games are not nearly as oorah america #1 as people seem to think. The US forces lose most of their engagements, are forced to exfil to safe zones, must be rescued by outside agents, fail to stop or even plan for terrorist attecks, fail to spot traitors in their midst until it's too late such as Shepherd, almost lose their own home turf were it not for A-side story meddling, and so on. You kill a lotta people and in the process accomplish very little in the milsim side stories of MW1 and 2. It kinda seems to me like the games are secretly about the disillusionment of that specific idea (america #1) but it flew over people's heads, which I don't really get because Price never ever shuts up about My Truth vs Your Truth History Is Written By The Victors yadda yadda.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 24, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The stories are fundamentally about western exceptionalism and the good guys losing temporarily exists only to set up the foil of "(our) best are better than (your) best"

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 24, 2020

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just lmabo if you remember anything about the campaigns of any cod game at all

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Benghazi times 1000 bit is pretty cringey

A lot of child murder in this game tbh

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

As a Russian dude I'm constantly amazed at the role we play in most western war fiction.

But at least there was a really strong brown woman in this one. And only 99% of the Russians were comically evil, there's like two guys in the campaign who are cool.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Eh, this is less farfetched than you'd think based on how broad a brush the region gets painted with. I kind of got the vibe that the "protagonist" insurgent/terrorist group was sort of a YPG expy, and they are pretty secular.

I mean the YPG is very much not a terrorist org and the London attack and, uh, everything else is way closer to Al Qaeda and such.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pivo posted:

As a Russian dude I'm constantly amazed at the role we play in most western war fiction.

But at least there was a really strong brown woman in this one. And only 99% of the Russians were comically evil, there's like two guys in the campaign who are cool.

I do appreciate that in some of the games they go out of their way to say "these are the hardline ULTRA NATIONALISTS seizing power" to at least give a little "not all russians" nuance.

I don't think this really works for this games occupation of Afganiraqan because there's no way an entire division-level unit from any nation occupies a country for a decade without official political sanction.

Black Griffon posted:

I mean the YPG is very much not a terrorist org

Like basically every "terrorist" org to exist probably since like the Servile Wars or the first time Bear Clan killed Cave Clan with a rockslide because of mammoth hunting disputes, that depends on who you ask. Like, I agree with you hardcore, but Turkey... does not.

quote:

and the London attack and, uh, everything else is way closer to Al Qaeda and such.

Ah, I was speaking to Farah's faction, the Al-Whatever dudes IDK they were just wallpaper kafiya'ed baddies from central casting and I admit I didn't pay much attention to whatever "development" they got.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MF_James posted:

The FOV thing is pretty big

What FOV do people here play at?

I saw some comparison videos and thought wow, 110-120 really lets you see so much more. I usually play at 90 on PC so I had been doing that, but clearly missing things in the periphery that my team could see. So I dialed it up to 110 but now I'm actually finding it hard to see people peeking out mid-screen, I got killed seemingly from nowhere the other day but on the kill cam he was looking straight at me, he was just too small even though he was pretty close. And I have a 27" 1440p monitor. Maybe 90-100 really is a sweet spot?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think I'm at 110. I started at 120 but it was way to fisheye and the distances egaggerated to make things in the center of the field too small, then switched to 110 which was still a little unnatural but I got used to it for the sake of the advantage in perepherals.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ah, I was speaking to Farah's faction, the Al-Whatever dudes IDK they were just wallpaper kafiya'ed baddies from central casting and I admit I didn't pay much attention to whatever "development" they got.

Ah, jeez, yeah, they're way closer to the YPG, I got confused.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool thanks.

I found a key for 41 bucks and I'm good with that.

Even without Warzone it's a good deal. It's a really full featured game with a really fun single player and an absolute fuckton of multiplayer content that gets updated frequently. I can't imagine just having warzone because it's so satisfying to just go and blast dudes after dude in multi after a bad round of WZ.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Even without Warzone it's a good deal. It's a really full featured game with a really fun single player and an absolute fuckton of multiplayer content that gets updated frequently. I can't imagine just having warzone because it's so satisfying to just go and blast dudes after dude in multi after a bad round of WZ.

Awesome thanks!

Now I'll just wait for a good deal on the PC version haha.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
One thing that’s nice about blueprints is if you haven’t unlocked the gun yet you’re still unlocking levels for it. My friend used that Bruen blueprint and by the time he actually unlocked the gun it was at level 42 or something.

Also, maybe I’m totally dead inside but the campaign stories moments that are supposed to stir you don’t do poo poo for me. I think it’s very paper thin action movie crap that has the gravitas of the rock feeling sad in the fast and furious movies. Rarely do I get emotionally attached to video game story beats. If a mission had me mowing down child soldiers I wouldn’t flinch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I played the original Modern Warfare back in the day and the campaign had a mission where you're doing Oorah marine poo poo, then a nuke goes off, and your helicopter goes down. You crawl out and think "huh okay where does it go from here?" And where it goes is you stagger around for a bit and then loving die, moving on to a different POV character.

For the time, it was a real novel gut-punch and made the campaign, even as fragmented as it was, pretty compelling.

Sadly they really leaned into it to the point where it became a formula to the point of being a punchline. They also started out with a cinematic but grounded military action game. Then MW2 threw in some crazy set pieces that would be at home in a James Bond or Mission Impossible joint. MW2 pulls TWO kill your player insert moments, one of them having you still in FP mode as your body gets thrown and a ditch and lit with petrol. LOL.

MW3 tripled down on the escalation. So they try to do poo poo that is completely tonally dissonant and grab tonally unearned gravitas.

To the point where now you have a game where operators dressed like cat girls are sliding around like they put crisco on their kneepads shooting each other with pink guns that have a rattling weed keychain hanging from them, and the single player campaign is trying to make you buy in to the gritty terror of a waterboarding minigame.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Black Ops was right, we live in a false reality prison

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

rather have a litter of catgirls than a team full of shreks or whatever that boring operator with the webbing is

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Who would have thought the game series whose entire raison d'être is to glorify western military action would struggle putting together anything other than garbage nationalistic plots centered primarily around killing communists and brown people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

rather have a litter of catgirls than a team full of shreks or whatever that boring operator with the webbing is

Oh, I'm a proud owner of Bear Skin Golem and Ripley Charly, just pointing out that it leads to a rather funny tonal disconnect when they try to tug the heartstrings in campaign mode.

Especially when they are trying to make the incredibly game-y Warzone mode tie into the "canon" story.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Whats the best way to level up pistols, just more shoot house?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Whats the best way to level up pistols, just more shoot house?

Definitely hardcore anything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anything hardcore, they're both fun and effective there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Oh, I'm a proud owner of Bear Skin Golem and Ripley Charly, just pointing out that it leads to a rather funny tonal disconnect when they try to tug the heartstrings in campaign mode.

Especially when they are trying to make the incredibly game-y Warzone mode tie into the "canon" story.

Apparently we have the same weaknesses.

I also will buy any ninja looking skin so I bought both Charly's and Rodion's. That's been the extent of my whaling so far though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat the way xbox handles installs is fuckin stupid.

I remoted downloaded the game to my Xbox thinking that should let me play. It downloaded 3 different packs or whatever. I go to play the game and it says I need to install 3 more packs before I can play....

FFS.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ripley is the first real money purchase I've made, catgirl will be the second.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I also recommend the campaign. Story is what it is, but it gave ya some pretty fun sections. The night vision apartment scene also looked incredible.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are there any good/cheap Xbox headphones? Trying to play with tv speakers is getting untenable especially when I’m playing during lunch hours and my wife is trying to be professional on a conference call

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Are there any good/cheap Xbox headphones? Trying to play with tv speakers is getting untenable especially when I’m playing during lunch hours and my wife is trying to be professional on a conference call

How much are you looking to spend?

I'd just get something like,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0818YMXR...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You could also just use any earbuds you have laying around in the mean time. :shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pivo posted:

What FOV do people here play at?

I saw some comparison videos and thought wow, 110-120 really lets you see so much more. I usually play at 90 on PC so I had been doing that, but clearly missing things in the periphery that my team could see. So I dialed it up to 110 but now I'm actually finding it hard to see people peeking out mid-screen, I got killed seemingly from nowhere the other day but on the kill cam he was looking straight at me, he was just too small even though he was pretty close. And I have a 27" 1440p monitor. Maybe 90-100 really is a sweet spot?

I forget exactly what i play at but it's either the max or near it, honestly I feel like I should drop slightly to gain some frames but I'm not doing 144hz so meh. My monitor is a pretty decent dell, not top of the line but not some junk with dead pixels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My friend got some crazy spendy steelseries headphones that have dual controls for game/discord and I’m kinda jelly but I don’t wanna spend that much on gaming headphones.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

I got the entry level turtle beach headphones for £30-40 specifically for MW and they've been pretty solid so far, both for hearing footsteps in game and letting my wife go to sleep in the next room when staying up late.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use DT770s with Modmic. Probably cost about as much as gaming headsets but so much better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

I use DT770s with Modmic. Probably cost about as much as gaming headsets but so much better.

That wouldn't work on the Xbox though right? You'd need something with an inline mic.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

That wouldn't work on the Xbox though right? You'd need something with an inline mic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Male-TRRS-to-2-Female-TRS-Audio-Connector-TRRS-Y-Splitter-Cable-Adapter-/172241771011

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 24, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know that CDN currency is whacky but $40 for a fuckin y cable is nuts. lol

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I know that CDN currency is whacky but $40 for a fuckin y cable is nuts. lol

It was a poo poo link sorry, sellers on Amazon be stupid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Male-TRRS-to-2-Female-TRS-Audio-Connector-TRRS-Y-Splitter-Cable-Adapter-/172241771011

I meant to convey the idea of TRRS male to 2x TRS female.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

It was a poo poo link sorry, sellers on Amazon be stupid

I meant to convey the idea of TRRS male to 2x TRS female.

Yeah I was mostly joking.

I guess I hadn't thought that was a thing and I'm not sure why.

That seems like a good solution if you want the most quality set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What counts as a "quickscope" kill? Like I guess you have to have a scope