Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Limited human resources mostly. MMOs tend to go into "maintenance mode" if they are successfully replaced by a newer version. But at the same time newer versions might crash and burn and they have development switch back to the older more popular version like what happened to maple story.

There's also been a few examples of both the sequel and the prequel continuing development at the same time (they're still making content for both Everquest games!), it really depends on how well both games do.

Like you said, though, I think the worst case scenario for original PSO2 is just putting it in maintenance mode. The fact that they're giving it a graphics update will help, too - they can just release whatever new cosmetics for both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Limited human resources mostly. MMOs tend to go into "maintenance mode" if they are successfully replaced by a newer version. But at the same time newer versions might crash and burn and they have development switch back to the older more popular version like what happened to maple story.
pretty sure ffxi is still up and running years after ffxiv's release

e: also runescape 1 and 3

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's still people playing PSO1 on private servers. :v:

and people are willing to pay a sub fee for WoW Classic.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

pretty sure ffxi is still up and running years after ffxiv's release

e: also runescape 1 and 3

Unless I'm mistaken, FFXI hasn't gotten any major content updates since like 2015. That's what we mean by maintenance mode - they'll keep the servers up and keep a small team on to keep events going and do whatever bugfixes need doing, but don't expect new areas or classes or anything.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
we currently have no idea what they have planned for PSO2 after NGS comes out; hell, we only just got a new roadmap a few months ago after the previous roadmap had been expired for over 6 months!

But now that we know about NGS; we'll probably hear about what the deal with pso2 post-ngs will look like in the coming months. They -might- not say much or anything in the PSO2 Station+ on August 7th, but they'll probably say something eventually.

everything said and done though; we can at least confirm cosmetics and lobby actions will transfer between games. so our fashion efforts won't be wasted

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 24, 2020

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Even updated graphics and a menu system that doesn't feel like as much of a relic will go a long way. Probably manage to get more new blood with NGS as well. A lot of my friends were a bit turned off by how dated it can feel.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
The road leading to NGS seems to still have new content, as well as updates to old content too; so there's that!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
As someone who found the core gameplay of pso2 fun but was overwhelmed by the systems and poor UI, a realm reborn style reboot sounds perfect and will probably hook me in.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I might have to upgrade my rig or just get a new one for the JP servers, the 1X is ready to roll for NA but this game might make me get a SX sooner than I thought I would. Totally not addicted over here. :v:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ryanbomber posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, FFXI hasn't gotten any major content updates since like 2015. That's what we mean by maintenance mode - they'll keep the servers up and keep a small team on to keep events going and do whatever bugfixes need doing, but don't expect new areas or classes or anything.

I don't think there's any major expansions or whatever yeah but they're still getting rebalances and story updates as of this month, despite saying they were going to stop development a few years ago. The game is old enough to vote now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NextTime000 posted:

everything said and done though; we can at least confirm cosmetics and lobby actions will transfer between games. so our fashion efforts won't be wasted

Is this confirmed, though? The explanation video said emotes and "registered data", which is effectively a phrase without meaning. I can't find anything confirming that all the fashion crap will carry over.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kanos posted:

Is this confirmed, though? The explanation video said emotes and "registered data", which is effectively a phrase without meaning. I can't find anything confirming that all the fashion crap will carry over.

"Registered Data" more than likely (not certainly) refers to emotes/cosmetics that have been registered to your character rather than tickets you can stockpile. That's the guess that makes most sense to me at any rate. It's vague enough that it's still anyone's guess at this point.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
"Registered data" is basically all the poo poo you'd take with you if you transfer ships: emotes, accessories, basewear/innerwear tickets, etc.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vitamean posted:

why would you shut down a perfectly functional game with a massive amount of content just because a new one's coming out

So that they can keep using all the crossover content that they licensed for PSO2 without any having to strike a new deal? I don't actually know, that's just kind of what I've been assuming though. NG looks different enough to be considered an entirely new game, the fact that it's still technically PSO2 seems odd unless you factor in some weird legal consideration like being able to continue using stuff they licensed for PSO2.

Also aside from consumable cosmetics/emotes I'd be surprised if you couldn't take parts/outers with you as well. Just make them untradable, no more problems with having them mess up the new economy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

There's still people playing PSO1 on private servers. :v:

and people are willing to pay a sub fee for WoW Classic.

All this talk reminded me of ps zero on ds. It wasn't good but mobile pso was a good idea at least. It turned out to be in the same timeline as PSO too apparently.

I got to the second to last boss but didn't realize it and just put the game down lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
After playing PSO2, I've come to realize why most RPG games like to recycle well known creatures of myth.

When a game tells me to go kill a medusa or a unicorn or something, I know to look for.

When PSO2 tells me to kill a Dagan or Luda Sorcerer or Gigur Giggawatts, I have no clue what the hell that is. (I mean, I know what they are now, but for new players it's like "what the gently caress is that"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Back in the day, you actually had to play the ARKS missions to unlock the free fields.
So first it'd be "Hey, go take a look around and catalogue all the things you murdered.""here's a new kind of emergency trial"
And then "here's a new kind of emergency trial"
And then "Oh hey, sub-boss."
And then finally the free field and the actual boss would unlock, and hopefully by this point you've learned what the mob types on that planet are.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
To this day I still do not know if 'Luda' is a place, title or race.

My theory is that sega comes up with their names by getting wasted and writing down all the words they slur out.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
New Genesis looks so good. Good thing I’m building a new computer soon cause my old toaster won’t be able to handle it.

Let’s hope the launch of NGS PC isn’t a total shitshow like pso2 na’s was. This is my most anticipated game. Can’t wait

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Pumpkinreaper posted:

he's a rapper hth

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Revitalized posted:

After playing PSO2, I've come to realize why most RPG games like to recycle well known creatures of myth.

When a game tells me to go kill a medusa or a unicorn or something, I know to look for.

When PSO2 tells me to kill a Dagan or Luda Sorcerer or Gigur Giggawatts, I have no clue what the hell that is. (I mean, I know what they are now, but for new players it's like "what the gently caress is that"

Or even better, there's one quest who's enemy wasn't even in game until the latest mining base defense.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Vitamean posted:

why would you shut down a perfectly functional game with a massive amount of content just because a new one's coming out

You should've seen how fast they were to drop the axe on PSU once PSO2 hit official release.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

they said perfectly functional

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Or when the translation is so bad that they translate things differently in different places so you're not sure if it's actually the same thing or not.

Pietro has a quest for a Shinkiro pet. The pet is translated as Synchro elsewhere.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Dabir posted:

they said perfectly functional

:thejoke:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Tried doing Mining Base: Ending on Super Hard for giggles. We lost 2 bases in Wave 3, managed to time out Wave 4, then got completely overwhelmed in Wave 5.

So pretty much what I was expecting.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Super hard's a total gongshow. Don't do any UQs there that aren't just gimmies. The players just aren't up to par there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MR. J posted:

Super hard's a total gongshow. Don't do any UQs there that aren't just gimmies. The players just aren't up to par there.

Oh I know, but I always like to try to do them on SH at least once just to see how much of a trainwreck they're going to be. It gets a little boring just pounding them out on VH when you're grinding through the mid-60s.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
SH PD is actually kind of okay because it doesn't just evaporate I guess. SH Luther is still a shitfest but.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

SH PD is actually kind of okay because it doesn't just evaporate I guess. SH Luther is still a shitfest but.

I just did a SH PD that took over 30 minutes to clear. It didn’t help that 3 people bailed at some point during the fight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, well..maybe I was lucky then. Probably very lucky considering I started it at 18m past.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, well..maybe I was lucky then. Probably very lucky considering I started it at 18m past.

To be fair, this one was staggeringly bad even by SH standards. I was expecting it to take 15, maybe 20 minutes, but not even the level 3 buff could speed up PD for this group.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I had a SH PD run that went on for that long, and we ended up failing the DPS check which on one hand that sucks, but the other, how often do I actually get to see what happens when you gently caress up that bad.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 27, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pumpkinreaper posted:

My theory is that sega comes up with their names by getting wasted and writing down all the words they slur out.

I mean, that's true for the spells, anyway. Foie -> Fire, Barta (actually Varta) -> Water, Zonde -> Thunder... I, uh, dunno about Grants and Megid, other than that the latter's probably Megiddo but it breaks the pattern.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fire/ice/lightning are the classic 3 elements in JRPGs, makes sense that they'd break the pattern for the others.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

John Lee posted:

I mean, that's true for the spells, anyway. Foie -> Fire, Barta (actually Varta) -> Water, Zonde -> Thunder... I, uh, dunno about Grants and Megid, other than that the latter's probably Megiddo but it breaks the pattern.

Grants could be coming from Glanz

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is anyone else finding it hard to find any reason to log in anymore? I don’t think I’ve logged in for almost two weeks and the NG announcement didn’t help at all.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

Is anyone else finding it hard to find any reason to log in anymore? I don’t think I’ve logged in for almost two weeks and the NG announcement didn’t help at all.
it sounds like you are no longer enjoying the game. have you considered playing a game you enjoy?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Nah I'm in the same boat, I still enjoy the game but until Ep 4 drops I can't think of much to grind for and the mining defense missions aren't really fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They made the massive mistake of releasing slave and nemesis weapons with the release of ultimate. Those weapons are so much more powerful than anything we were supposed to have access to by this point in the game. It kind of invalidated literally all content in episode 3 that came after it, which is a shame because I really like a lot of the stuff in there.

Thankfully next update should be Episode 4, and that should bring a bunch of stuff