Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Prediction Aki is the gun fiend because Makima shoved a gun fragment inside of dead Aki. Denji is going to bite Aki as an attack, or to drink his blood for the perpetual motion machine. Aki's gun fragment is going to get lodged in Denji, letting Denji become the Chainsaw Launcher devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Semantics I suppose.

I assume the argument is that if it is actually the Gun Fiend, it's not Aki, it's the Gun Devil using Aki's body.

If it's just Aki's corpse (with a bit of his memories), then it's not Aki the person. Aki didn't become the Gun Fiend, his body just became the Gun Devil's vessel.

I don't think we've really seen a fiend's perspective directly before. Violence indicated it can really vary.

Darth TNT posted:

the fun devil

Darth TNT posted:

Fixed that for you.

:v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth TNT posted:

So...

Aki is a fiend now right? But he's in a fantasy world causing destruction in the real world.

Power is a fiend, does that mean that the corpse she possessed is also have a fun eternal daydream?

Or maybe Aki wasn't really possessed while actually dead.

It might just be because he became a fiend so recently. Maybe devils need a little while to fully take over the body.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/lVxN570

Here’s the part where Violence talks about it. Maybe the more intact the brain, the more control whatever remains of the original human’s personality has over the Devil’s murderous instincts? Wasn’t Violence Fiend hinted to be the new guy who was shot in the head while protecting Konbeni? Aki was either shot in the head or the heart from the Gun Devils attack so he may be in a similar condition as Violence. Then again, it’s the Gun Devil who is a Pretty Big Deal

Acerbatus posted:

Fiends are corpses, how would him explicitly dying change that...?

Darth TNT posted:

I don't quite understand what you mean? A fiend is a devil who took a corpse right? So Aki died and became a corpse so the fun devil took him

That’s my point, Aki is dead. The Gun Fiend is the Gun Devil. He just happens to have Aki’s memories. Kinda like that ship of Theseus Paradigm?

Overthinking children’s comics

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Frankly, I don't really think Makima planned for this. She's definitely shady as poo poo, but I don't think she'd purposefully send Gun to Denji just to make him stronger. If she really wanted Denji to fight gun 1:1, she could have just had some agents go to his apartment and drag his rear end to the beach - she seemed to know poo poo was going to go down there. Unless she specifically needs to make the fight as emotionally taxing as humanly possible for Denji, which seems...odd. This feels more like a cruel joke of the Cool and Amazing Future Devil.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CodfishCartographer posted:

Frankly, I don't really think Makima planned for this. She's definitely shady as poo poo, but I don't think she'd purposefully send Gun to Denji just to make him stronger. If she really wanted Denji to fight gun 1:1, she could have just had some agents go to his apartment and drag his rear end to the beach - she seemed to know poo poo was going to go down there. Unless she specifically needs to make the fight as emotionally taxing as humanly possible for Denji, which seems...odd. This feels more like a cruel joke of the Cool and Amazing Future Devil.

Regarding all the speculation: They also have a bunch of gun fragments, they could have just let denji eat one.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Regarding all the speculation: They also have a bunch of gun fragments, they could have just let denji eat one.

Chaingun Devil

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Denji would eat a bullet fragment for 100 yen!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Denji would eat a bullet fragment for 100 yen!

Not any more! Denji's developed as a person, gained self respect, learned to chase more than temporary pleasures. Eating things for 100 yen is no longer his scene.

(Now, he'd do it for 9000 yen.)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just binged this entire series in one sitting. i guess given the fact that i did the exact same thing with fire punch i shouldn't be too surprised

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Official version out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chainsaw-man-chapter-78/chapter/20944?action=read

e:
holy gently caress

CodfishCartographer posted:

The future rules! I love the future!!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 19, 2020

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I hate the future!!!!!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Future is worst!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I starting reading this on Friday and couldn't stop. It's amazing! Probably my favorite ongoing story right now. The future rules!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Highest Cactus posted:

Chaingun Devil

Gun that shoots chainsaws that are also on fire.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I feel like consuming a part of the gun devil to fight the gun devil wouldn’t be a good idea.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

JackDarko posted:

I starting reading this on Friday and couldn't stop. It's amazing! Probably my favorite ongoing story right now. The future rules!

Same.

(Weirdly, even including the "Friday" bit)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i have no idea if this is going to work

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Consolation: If killing Aki kills the Gun Devil/Fiend, at least Denji is getting laid.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

Denji's next moment of character growth is being too sad to get a boner

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He just gets the saddest boner. With a little chainsaw.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I just binged the whole thing and i think something's up with Makima

More seriously, it kicks rear end. Power is perfect. Is "fiend" like, the official translation for what used to be "devilman" in the earlier chapters? Also what on earth happened in Hell? I'm kinda slow on the uptake

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

I just binged the whole thing and i think something's up with Makima

More seriously, it kicks rear end. Power is perfect. Is "fiend" like, the official translation for what used to be "devilman" in the earlier chapters? Also what on earth happened in Hell? I'm kinda slow on the uptake

Fiend's the official translation, yeah. A corpse with a devil inside, with occasional traces of the old personality.

As for Hell

Santa sacrificed a perfect puppet and three orphans to send Tolka to hell with Chainsaw's heart to bargain with Darkness for the power to kill Makima.

Darkness proceeded to wreck everyone's poo poo casually, killing everyone except Kobeni, Angel, Power, and Aki when they attacked.

Then Prinz the spider devil showed up and summoned Makima, who proceeded to stall Darkness long enough to strike a deal with the Devil of Hell to get everyone out.

Stitches revived Quanxi and Makima revived Denji, letting them fight and kill Santa Clause.

Hope that's clear.

Oh, and as for your suspicions of Makima, they're completely off base. She's a good person. I owe her my life.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Oh yeah, the hell bit.

How did that guy's powers relate to "darkness"? Are we sure he's not the fear of having your arms fall off?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
He robs you of your vision by turning things dark and removes your hands so you can't feel around.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Also, the astronauts. Space travel is a pretty fundamental symbol of "humanity confronting Outer Darkness beyond the bubble of light and safety that is Earth," so the Darkness Devil arrives with a procession of slaughtered astronauts to represent No, gently caress You, If You Venture Beyond The Light You Die.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dzhay posted:

Oh yeah, the hell bit.

How did that guy's powers relate to "darkness"? Are we sure he's not the fear of having your arms fall off?

I think it can basically just do anything inside darkness, during that chapter you can see darkness slowly creeping up on the characters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
IS IT LEGAL FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER TO BE SO FAR AWAY?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The Devil of Break week is probably pretty powerful.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JackDarko posted:

The Devil of Break week is probably pretty powerful.

It's more of a feeling of hate than fear.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I feel menaced by this tweet

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1285316582659575809?s=20

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

It's not entirely inaccurate although it doesn't make less awesome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That first response though. "Assuming it got better after the apartment."

If this series didn't sell itself to you when Mr big brain went for his Nobel prize while everyone else slept then this Manga isn't for you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

That first response though. "Assuming it got better after the apartment."

If this series didn't sell itself to you when Mr big brain went for his Nobel prize while everyone else slept then this Manga isn't for you.

To be fair, the first good chunk of the series comes off like it'll just be a monster of the week sorta deal, when it definitely is not that now. It wouldn't surprise me if people read the first ten or so chapters and just sorta bounced off because it just feels like it'll be a never-ending "here's the next devil that shows up, time to collect yet another in the endless chunks of the gun devil!"

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I liked Chainsaw man for Denji's personal journey. The sick monster designs, rad fights, and worldbuilding are just a plus.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
The premise of the series was strong enough but Denji's conviction while proclaiming his will to live after his sneak attack on Aki's balls was enough of a hook for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm a simple man, I came for the ultraviolence, stayed for the wholesome duo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chainsaw Man's always been great but since like the Snake and Katana devil arc especially the comic's had a strong narrative, great characters, cool fights and excellent designs. It's legitimately very good and been pretty consistently the best thing in Jump for a while.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Denji and I sympathized with his poverty stricken sorrow. Then he chainsaw'd a dumpster and zombies and I knew I'd never turn my back on the poor boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chainsaw Man's always been great but since like the Snake and Katana devil arc especially the comic's had a strong narrative, great characters, cool fights and excellent designs. It's legitimately very good and been pretty consistently the best thing in Jump for a while.

Agreed. It’s just so different from what you normally get with Jump. Even Jujutsu Kaisen, a manga with similar sketchy art style and demons, is structured like a much more traditional shonen. Not to demean JJK, it’s my second favorite thing in Jump, but CSM just feels more...grown up? I think? It’s definitely darker.