Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cross save between Series X and PC via Gamepass will be amazing.

That's the only reason I'm considering a series X.

And it's a good reason with Gamepass :xbone:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Love to cross save my growing list of xbox 1st party pc exclusives to my xbox console

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out as a dumb foreigner. You're struggling enough that a second small cheque over several months makes a big impact to your savings but willing to blow it on a console and games?

My country has been giving people $3,000 per month but I would never consider spending it on an Xbox if I got laid off, which is very much on the table with my employer's sales down about 30% and getting worse per month.

Nah it's more like I would rather keep the money in my savings instead of blowing it on another console when I'm already getting a ps5. My savings are just fine but thank you for being concerned.

Let me rephrase this. I bring in enough money for my lifestyle. The government is giving me another $1,200 for free that I could blow on stupid poo poo... And I still wouldn't use it on a Xbox series x. That's how bad the presentation was.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out as a dumb foreigner. You're struggling enough that a second small cheque over several months makes a big impact to your savings but willing to blow it on a console and games?

My country has been giving people $3,000 per month but I would never consider spending it on an Xbox if I got laid off, which is very much on the table with my employer's sales down about 30% and getting worse per month.

Wow, your country is giving people $3k/mo unconditionally? Where is this?

For now, most of the US (especially tech workers) still kept their jobs, and the government is throwing money at people and telling them to spend it. A coworker with a bunch of kids got a check for $5900 despite the fact that he made $150k last year and just started a new job paying him ~$200k. If the rumors are right about the second stimulus the guy is going to get a 2nd check for $10,800, good for him.

On top of it all, the stimulus isn't considered taxable income, so it's really like getting an extra +30% on top of the raw amount! And for what its worth, I'm considering getting a Series X, but it's because of the stimulus. This is unbudgeted-for extra money that you just get shoved at you.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 25, 2020

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Ape Out is a very good video game

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Real hurthling! posted:

If you play tetris effect on anything but a ps5 custom tuned to your ear canal you arent doing it right
i will get one when they make one custom-tuned to my eyeballs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

butt dickus posted:

i will get one when they make one custom-tuned to my balls

Rez has this

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow, your country is giving people $3k/mo unconditionally? Where is this?

Australia. If you were employed in March you get $3000 per month, if not you get around $1300. It's called JobKeeper, paid through your employer who would have otherwise laid you off.

This will continue until October where it is lowered to $2400 per month, and then it continues again until April 2021 at least.

Aus has a reputation for being almost as chuddy as the US but it's not even close. Way more support for regular people than my home country of Canada. National min wage is going above $20 this year.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Australia. If you were employed in March you get $3000 per month, if not you get around $1300. It's called JobKeeper, paid through your employer who would have otherwise laid you off.

This will continue until October where it is lowered to $2400 per month, and then it continues again until April 2021 at least.

Aus has a reputation for being almost as chuddy as the US but it's not even close. Way more support for regular people than my home country of Canada. National min wage is going above $20 this year.

Yeah and the base welfare payment for the unemployed was raised from $550 a fortnigbt to $1100. It's going back down to $750 now though

E: and yes Australia has an unfortunate strain of immigrant fearing climate change denying tories (mainly thanks to the Murdoch media) but our welfare, education, healthcare and public service standards are far more generous than anything in the US (but still less generous than many parts of Europe)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah and the base welfare payment for the unemployed was raised from $550 a fortnigbt to $1100. It's going back down to $750 now though

E: and yes Australia has an unfortunate strain of immigrant fearing climate change denying tories (mainly thanks to the Murdoch media) but our welfare, education, healthcare and public service standards are far more generous than anything in the US (but still less generous than many parts of Europe)

BUT NOT FOR LONG!

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

The fact that the enemy is from halo wars 2 and the likelyhood that players are expected to know this tells you they are still hopelessly caught up their own lore asses to the detriment of the product

Yes, thank you! I’m STILL seeing people saying Infinite is 343 realizing they hosed the series and taking it back to its roots. That they’re soft rebooting the plot with Infinite.

343 is digging themselves further into their incomprehensible continuity. Infinite isn’t going to be RE7, it’s going to be RE6.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
At least they didn't pull a Kojima and have the story revolve around a secret ending in a PSP game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

343 is digging themselves further into their incomprehensible continuity. Infinite isn’t going to be RE7, it’s going to be RE6.

RE6 used to be Capcom's best selling game ever before MHW came out

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Digital Foundry YouTube video on Halo Infinite's visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQd6W9BxLg

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

D1E posted:

Digital Foundry YouTube video on Halo Infinite's visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQd6W9BxLg

Also here is their reaction to the showcase.

They kinda say a lot of the same things that were said in the thread as it was live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9yYrn8DYmA

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I kinda hope I can find a cheapish Xbonx, as this presentation just told me that I definitely wouldn’t need a Series X for a few years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iacen posted:

I kinda hope I can find a cheapish Xbonx, as this presentation just told me that I definitely wouldn’t need a Series X for a few years.

Well good news for you they stopped making them so good luck with that lmao.

You could probably find a used one I guess.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Iacen posted:

If you haven’t, watch the dev commentary on both Halo and Halo 2.

Many ideas and lines were basically Jason Jones dropping a neat sounding line, and then leaving people like Joe Staten to flesh it out. It’s good fun and interesting to hear what went on!

Dev commentary? How do I watch that. I havent played halo in years.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Honestly not trolling, but I've never understood the love for Halo. I played 1 back in 2002, 3 in 2006 and ODST whenever it came out.

I'm not saying they're awful but I just find them really bland. What am I missing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The local mp with teenage friends

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Last Halo I played a lot was Halo 3 and it was just a superfun MP experience to have with friends. Halo gave me feels that no other FPS gave me then.

Also back then, there was this whole thing of making games look brown and drab and Halo was so very colorful.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

one of the guys in our group of friends at school had an older brother who worked at a pub in our town. he'd give us a heads up on days when the events room was free and we'd all of us drive over with our OG xbox and massive CRT TV's and set up a whole mess of card tables and wires and play 16 player halo. Literally the most fun I've ever had playing any game was crowded into that smoky back room of a lovely rural pub. Even now playing halo 3 mcc scratches a weird itch for me that nothing else can.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Halo was just one of those log in and gently caress around fun MP games that aren't around much these days. It was before the every game has to be try hard era.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

RBX posted:

Halo was just one of those log in and gently caress around fun MP games that aren't around much these days. It was before the every game has to be try hard era.

I remember when the forge came out for Halo 3 where everyone could create their own maps and set up custom rules. It was a lot of fun hooking up with randos and play their lovely maps. COD will never be able to scratch that itch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Those are lovely memories to have. I didn't do multiplayer on console until 2006, up to then I was mainly on Half-Life 2 Deathmatch on PC with no mic. GG.

Call of Duty 3 sucked me in when I got my 360 in 2006, then of course CoD 4: Modern Warfare took over the world after that.

In campaign though, I always found the enemies in Halo very unthreatening, even if they were dead to you. Seeing dwarfish triangles talking like cartoon characters and running like penguins, or their bigger brothers who looked like bipedal horses with calming voices just never gave me dread.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Honestly not trolling, but I've never understood the love for Halo. I played 1 back in 2002, 3 in 2006 and ODST whenever it came out.

I'm not saying they're awful but I just find them really bland. What am I missing?

Were you a PC player? The first Halo was that generations Goldeneye. If you were a console gamer, it was one of the first real FPS you’d be exposed to.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Iacen posted:

They're not making the One X anymore, probably because Lockhart (whatever it ends up being called) is going to replace it at the same price point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Those are lovely memories to have. I didn't do multiplayer on console until 2006, up to then I was mainly on Half-Life 2 Deathmatch on PC with no mic. GG.

Call of Duty 3 sucked me in when I got my 360 in 2006, then of course CoD 4: Modern Warfare took over the world after that.

In campaign though, I always found the enemies in Halo very unthreatening, even if they were dead to you. Seeing dwarfish triangles talking like cartoon characters and running like penguins, or their bigger brothers who looked like bipedal horses with calming voices just never gave me dread.

I never got into the MP. The single player on 1 was a revelation for me. It was just like this awesome nonstop set piece romp. I like how with Cortana a lot of the story was told in line so I didn't feel like it was just level -> cutscene and rinse/repeat. Obviously now it's old hat but then it felt really new and fresh.

On a side note about imposing enemies.

I did the VR Halo thing a while back. It's mostly a shooting gallery but you can scroll through the enemies and seeing them in what actually feels like 8 feet in front of you made the covenant elite actually feel super threatening. It was loving awesome.

And then the warthog skids in... You jump in the back. And it ends.

They have really misfired by not doing some halo VR poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the first time a console manufacturer actually stopped producing consoles before the next gen was even out isn’t it?

On top of not announcing the price for the new console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

This is the first time a console manufacturer actually stopped producing consoles before the next gen was even out isn’t it?

I think wiiu probably

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

MarcusSA posted:

No, just recently Nintendo stopped Wii U production a couple months before the switch released. Microsoft did the same thing for the original Xbox a few months before the 360 came out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Halo stood out due to three major reasons.

The first is that it was the first multiplayer FPS to be designed for consoles for the ground up and do it well. Yes I realize it was initially suppose to be a MAC title but Bungie revamped the game such as only being able to carry two weapons at once for quick switching, auto-aim, and general movement and look speed that perfectly suited dual analog. Keep in mind the "king" of console FPS at this time was Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64.

The second is that up until that time FPSes either had a robust quality single player mode or a deep competitive multiplayer. Halo had both.

The third is that it was THE flagship Xbox title. It was the hot new console in town and Halo made for the perfect mascot title for the system. Exclusives may not be as of a deal today, but during the 2000s they were still a major part of a console's identity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They still are just not this one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exclusives are still a big deal, theyre how sony and nintendo shift units

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

They still are just not this one

I'm assuming you are responding to my third point. Exclusives are still a big of a deal and clearly help console sales (hence why I said "as a big of a deal"}, but as time has marched on console makers have gradually let their IPs on to other platforms (even Nintendo). I'm not saying or implying that we are in/heading to an exclusiveless future, just that they aren't as key to a system's identity as say twenty years ago. When the original Xbox released this perception was less common, and with the console being fresh off the market it needed an identity and Halo comfortably filled that hole.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the majority of the top 10 selling games for both the switch and ps4 are first party titles not on other platforms and gta 5

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stux posted:

the majority of the top 10 selling games for both the switch and ps4 are first party titles not on other platforms and gta 5

And the Playstation 2 has an even higher rate. Not to mention Sony is porting their games to the PC. Again, there is a lot of truth in what you say and I agree, it was just even more important back then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t think Sony porting HZD to PC is indicative of any long term trend other than the opportunity to drive more PS5 sales for what will likely be the first flagship release on that system. But it’d be nice if it were!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that isnt more at all, the top 10 ps2 only vs ps4 only is the same amount, but the ps4 titles all have higher sales. theyre not porting games plural at all, hzd was so notable specifically because it is the only time theyve done this ever and the likelyhood is it was simply done because decima was ported for death stranding already and it was no effort to throw hzd over to get some hype for the ps5 only sequel, they may well have used hzd while porting the engine for pc already. its not a larger trend and theyve said themselves no other games will be getting pc ports.

exclusives move units. the two consoles that have actually been successful this generation have a metric ton of exclusive titles that are on no other platform. the one console that made no attempt at securing a healthy catalog and has moved to a service model where everything they make is available on pc has been an abject failure in one of the largest console generations in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stux posted:

that isnt more at all, the top 10 ps2 only vs ps4 only is the same amount, but the ps4 titles all have higher sales. theyre not porting games plural at all, hzd was so notable specifically because it is the only time theyve done this ever and the likelyhood is it was simply done because decima was ported for death stranding already and it was no effort to throw hzd over to get some hype for the ps5 only sequel, they may well have used hzd while porting the engine for pc already. its not a larger trend and theyve said themselves no other games will be getting pc ports.

exclusives move units. the two consoles that have actually been successful this generation have a metric ton of exclusive titles that are on no other platform. the one console that made no attempt at securing a healthy catalog and has moved to a service model where everything they make is available on pc has been an abject failure in one of the largest console generations in history.

The PS4 and PS2 titles have sold more or less the same with the PS2 having a bit of an edge overall and the PS4 having an edge with the top 8. Though with the PS2 selling more units than the PS4 due to obvious reasons and the PS4 coming at a time when gaming is more "mainstream" this is a bit of apples and oranges comparison. It just isn't Horizon getting ported to PC, but Detroit, Until Dawn, and as you said Death Stranding. Sony is at least willing to experiment with exclusivity. Which again is important, but likely not as important as it once was where you had even third party studios being courted to make exclusives left and right (which to be fair still exists today but not in the same form and nowhere near as common).

Xbox One failing so hard ignores a bit of context. The Xbox 360 lacked in exclusives as well compared to its rivals and still did well. However, its successor fumbled out the gate due to being over-priced, underpowered, and a lot of bad press. Microsoft gradually reinvented the platform and it has been doing notably better though still lagging behind as it is stuck behind the tailwind of Sony's and Nintendo's already existing runaway hits. So they're continuing with that philosophy this upcoming generation.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 25, 2020