Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love that ad so loving much :xd:

"My shoe!"

the ad's amazing, tho i'm not sure insinuating that a young lion owns a pair of new balance 608's is what i'd be doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lawlor looks so big compared to Rocky, it's really weird.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

This isn’t flowing so well for me, feels awkward. Maybe Lawler is working too light.

Edit: I think Lawler is making his escapes look too easy, it’s keeping the rest of Rocky's moves from being threatening.

Thanlis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2020

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Chris zinging Gino never gets old

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanlis posted:

This isn’t flowing so well for me, feels awkward. Maybe Lawler is working too light.

It's okay, but I am surprised that I found the opening tag far more enjoyable both from an in-ring AND storyline perspective.

Lawlor getting to work hoss is kind of fun.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It's okay, but I am surprised that I found the opening tag far more enjoyable both from an in-ring AND storyline perspective.

Lawlor getting to work hoss is kind of fun.

Yeah, it’s not that Lawlor's bad or anything. Kind of a squash, which I didn’t expect from the main event.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"How many sponsors do you have?"
"27."
"Name 3."
"......I'll write them down and e-mail them to you later...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Put the mask over your nose, Tom :cripes:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Both good matches but the first match was the better.

The promos have been really quite good across the whole series

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Thauros posted:

this one looks kinda interesting as we get another look at fredericks, rocky's good, and it'll be interesting to see how filthy tom looks

I know what you mean, but for a second I thought you mean Tom was covered in gunk.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Overall thoughts:

1) Karl Fredericks and Clark Connors vs Misterioso and DKC. Fredericks and Connors have incredible physiques, Fredericks rocks the dirtbag look well. Not seen Misterioso before but his look is great. Fredericks does a great job as a cocky bully. I'm hoping he's serious about doing something new as a heel in New Japan. DKC had a couple of bits that showed real fire I hadn't seen from him last week. Perfectly competent short tag that ends with Cobb building the feud with Fredericks
2) Rocky Romero vs Filthy Tom Lawlor. Lawlor is someone I've heard about more than I've heard from. Good mat style. Rocky continues to be basically the perfect New Japan opponent. He has that Bret Hart gift of being able to find what his opponent is good at and structuring the match around it. The pacing in this match felt a bit uneven but overall it was a good introduction to Lawlor who has one of the more successful adaptations of MMA style to pro wrestling.

Fun show overall.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

We live.

Japanese: https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00555_7_1
English: https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00555_8_1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00555_8_1 - English commentary
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00555_7_1 - Japanese commentary

Thanlis posted:

We live.

:hfive:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Mainevent looks like a good time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm all onboard Chris Charlton getting swole.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I'm all onboard Chris Charlton getting swole.

Remember how Juice tried to get him to the gym during the BOSJ last year

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

:hfive:

I’m digging the MMA feel; this meshes way better than last week's match.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Coughlin is super talented. Good physical match this one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I shouldn't be surprised Filthy Tom just cut a promo about being Coughlin's daddy and giving him a spanking.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

That was what it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

YES! The sponge!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Clark, you’re too young to compete with sneaky style. Oh man I love the spot where someone refuses to let go of the submission.

Edit: OW.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was a cool spot

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

That was a fun match. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Taylor.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The LA dojo guys are all cool as hell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rocky loses again smiley face

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

week off and then the next us series looks to be starting on august 7th

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1286848888918269952?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Why would you wear an earring in the ring?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I really enjoyed that. Good match. Very hard hitting..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, I fully expected Karl to win that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, these last couple of weeks Jeff Cobb has done great promos, I had no idea he had that in him!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I didn’t expect TJP to wind up with the best record! Really interesting to see where they’re going. Also I hadn’t heard anything about more tapings, but California is still allowing TV production last I looked.

Anyhow, that was a great hour. Only one match I didn’t much enjoy and a bunch of good stuff. The LA Dojo kids are really good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

mildly surprised that fredericks lost given that he's graduated and they're so high on him. guessing they'll give him a big win on the next set of tapings they just announced

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

1) Alex Coughlin vs Filthy Tom Lawlor. Jesus, Coughlin is coming out with his chest already chopped to gently caress. Filthy Tom looks like a goof, but his grappling is next level. Some solid chain wrestling to start. Coughlin has come on a lot and has great form. The match starts slow but methodical. By the time we get to their stand-up the offense looks better as a result. They're both really laying it in. This is a losing effort for Coughlin and we knew it would be, but he can feel great about this performance. Hope he gets something on those bruises, his chest was a wreck.
"you just met your daddy and it doesn't get any better than that". Tom hasn't heard that horny is prohibited.

2) Danny Limelight vs Misterioso Jr. Misterioso wearing the Steiner chain mail cowl. Danny Limelight's tattoos look like they were done in eyeliner. Some decent fast paced stuff to start. I will always love the "running after the guy into the ropes" spot. Limelight has some decent skills that I think need to be honed. Misterioso is surprisingly grounded for a luchador but has some real weight behind his offense. Fun little TV match.

Has the sponge ad got sillier? I think it's got sillier.

3) TJP and Clark Connors vs Rocky Romero and Rust Taylor. Rust Taylor has a very bad name and a very bad jacket, but has been pretty decent so far, even though he looks like Baron Corbin's face on Adam Cole's body. Connors is fired the gently caress up in this match. Once Fredericks is secure in his character, I'd love to see Connors truly step up. The spot where he had Rocky in the Boston Crab and just absorbed kick after kick from Rust Taylor was great. I'm hoping to see something from Taylor, as he has the skills, I just want the character. Nice to see Connors and dirtbag TJP get the win, gently caress up from the graphics department notwithstanding. Taylor looks furious. Very good post match promos.

4) Karl Fredericks vs Jeff Cobb. Looking forward to this. Fredericks is very good and has amazing Cobra Kai energy. Jeff Cobb is an amazing beefy boy. Cobb's little smile when he comes out is superb. This is the smile of a guy who is planning to tear someone up. Good hard hitting action to start off. Fredericks just learned why you don't wear a dangly earring in a wrestling match. Jesus, the height Fredericks got on that jumping elbow drop was just insane. Cobb fought hard for that win. Really great TV match.

Super solid show overall. Loved Cobb putting Fredericks over in his interview at the end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The sponge ad not being shown before Japanese NJPW showsis criminal.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Finally catching up with the show

I’m suddenly very interested in buying magic sponges, where do I get those

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 3, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

Finally catching up with the show

I’m suddenly very interested in buying magic sponges, where do I get those

Gekiochi sponges are usually available on Amazon. They're really just melamine sponges. Sadly New Japan themed ones aren't as widely available.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Mr clean has a melamine sponge called magic eraser, if you want an inferior yet same product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Watching the last 2 episodes of this to be up to date for tonight's show and Misterioso is wearing Scott Steiner tribute chain mail so that rules.

Tom Lawlor has been alright but his promos? Less so.

Son.