Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The occasional track by Low Roar coming on during a key moment was a great part of the game early on, I'm not sure it really fits the tone anymore when it comes on as I'm ziplining through the air at 100MPH. At this point I've become a delivery man superhero and I need music to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finally a game where I can put my year of postal driving experience to good use

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:lol: The Junk Dealer's marital bliss lasted all of 2 days. I broke out laughing while driving my truck through the rocky wasteland and I get an email: Marriage Sucks :cry:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Another good thing about collectibles is that a lot are not game related and just some movies and albums Kojima likes.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Bob Dylan lyrics randomly reminded me of the game. I know it's not related but it seems so apt, it was kinda odd.

Some time ago a crazy dream came to me
I dreamt I was walkin’ into World War Three
I went to the doctor the very next day
To see what kinda words he could say
He said it was a bad dream
I wouldn’t worry ’bout it none, though
They were my own dreams and they’re only in my head

I said, “Hold it, Doc, a World War passed through my brain”
He said, “Nurse, get your pad, this boy’s insane”
He grabbed my arm, I said, “Ouch!”
As I landed on the psychiatric couch
He said, “Tell me about it”

Well, the whole thing started at 3 o’clock fast
It was all over by quarter past

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love this game. Just spent my whole game time delivering poo poo to highways and then getting sidetracked exploring for chiral crystals. Ended up clearing out a MULE camp because they just kept running at me slowly as I bola'd them. Luckily a new prepper was hidden nearby and he wanted me to grab hi ma bunch of old nintendos, which was easy since every MULE was asleep. How long does that last, clearing a camp? Gonna try and clear the other ones next time and see if that makes my bot missions super successful. I wish you could see your bot en route and try to help it if you came across it but I guess they knew players would do that, defeating the point of it to begin with lol.

I'm running out of Ceramic (and metal and chiral crystals) from a lot of these outposts, and one time I desperately needed more ceramic to finish off the highway before someone else beat me to it. Went to a center to scavenge the share lockers and some poor sap left 800 units of ceramics just sitting by the terminal. I know I'm supposed to turn it in, but I swear, this guy must have been trying to do the same thing I was. Strangely, didn't see a name for it except for the online-player star thing, might just've been a blank or weird steam name. Anyway, thanks sucker, I finished off my fourth highway that has "significant contribution."

I also love having a highway built into areas the main game doesn't need me to go yet, discovered a farm earlier and a place I assume I'll eventually need for the story.

Oh, is "S lol" the highest rank, I finally got my first non-S ranks and quickly replaced some of them with the "S lol" but now I'm wondering where it stops. Are these S ranks just As all along and the game doesn't go below B? Also, do bot missions count for completing a task or do you always still need to do it human style once to count as "done"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Oh, is "S lol" the highest rank, I finally got my first non-S ranks and quickly replaced some of them with the "S lol" but now I'm wondering where it stops. Are these S ranks just As all along and the game doesn't go below B? Also, do bot missions count for completing a task or do you always still need to do it human style once to count as "done"

You can get low ranks on deliveries if you don’t meet the delivery criteria or damage the cargo. Bot deliveries count like they would if you did it personally (except you can’t finish a Star) but the bot usually arrives damaged and slow and you can’t get premium deliveries with the robot. It’s best for farming likes or moving materials around. Bots aren’t available for story missions so you’ll always have to do those personally.

Camps usually stay cleared for about 20 minutes.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Important note on bot delivery success chances: I forget exactly what the UI looks like but I remember that the expected cargo condition that it gives you is the opposite of what I thought it was at first, eg it said 90% and I took that to mean the cargo would have ~90% of its durability left on arrival, but it actually meant that it would be ~90% damaged. Had a lot of very busted bot deliveries before I figured that out.

If you have trucks unlocked, probably the best way to get loads of materials is to raid mule camps and take all their stuff. Each camp hoards a particular material, and there will be thousands of it stored in their various lockers, and it even replenishes after a while (probably when the mules respawn?). Make sure to bring your own truck because the ones they drive have crappy cargo capacity.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What is up with the timers in this game? I've had a couple orders where I turned on Hard Mode, and the briefing mentioned a time limit of something like 6 minutes, but when I actually set off it was more like 35 minutes. This has happened consistently whenever I've done a time-limited special delivery, the actual timer is way more generous than the one I agreed to.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

night slime posted:

Bob Dylan lyrics randomly reminded me of the game. I know it's not related but it seems so apt, it was kinda odd.

Some time ago a crazy dream came to me
I dreamt I was walkin’ into World War Three
I went to the doctor the very next day
To see what kinda words he could say
He said it was a bad dream
I wouldn’t worry ’bout it none, though
They were my own dreams and they’re only in my head

I said, “Hold it, Doc, a World War passed through my brain”
He said, “Nurse, get your pad, this boy’s insane”
He grabbed my arm, I said, “Ouch!”
As I landed on the psychiatric couch
He said, “Tell me about it”

Well, the whole thing started at 3 o’clock fast
It was all over by quarter past

i love that song

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Triarii posted:

Important note on bot delivery success chances: I forget exactly what the UI looks like but I remember that the expected cargo condition that it gives you is the opposite of what I thought it was at first, eg it said 90% and I took that to mean the cargo would have ~90% of its durability left on arrival, but it actually meant that it would be ~90% damaged. Had a lot of very busted bot deliveries before I figured that out.

i made this mistake exactly one time with my bot dropping off some 98% busted cargo to that cranky old bastard The Elder and getting a comically low amount of likes for it. star didn't even budge.

the little bots are so earnest and chipper though! i love them even if they're technically stealing my job. can you upgrade them eventually, or do you just get more?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What am I supposed to do when BTs grab me and then I end up in the fight with the weird squid-faced whale thing? I've got 4 hematic grenades, but they don't seem to be enough to kill the thing, and I can't figure out any other way to damage it. Am I just supposed to give up and die?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

What am I supposed to do when BTs grab me and then I end up in the fight with the weird squid-faced whale thing? I've got 4 hematic grenades, but they don't seem to be enough to kill the thing, and I can't figure out any other way to damage it. Am I just supposed to give up and die?

If you can't or don't want to kill the boss you can just run away from it, once you get outside the oil patch it will despawn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, if you're out of supplies you can hit the touchpad to make Sam call out for help, white BT Sams will pop out of the tar and throw you more grenades and such.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Also, if you're out of supplies you can hit the touchpad to make Sam call out for help, white BT Sams will pop out of the tar and throw you more grenades and such.

Well that would have been nice to know when I played...

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

CJacobs posted:

You just blew my mind. I remember was fighting one outside South Knot City that I accidentally hit with my truck, and while running for cover I saw that all-white dude giving me a thumbs-up, had no idea what was happening.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm thirty hours in. I'm building roads and getting likes. I can't remember the last time Deadman called me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty cool. Anyone know what the key is on PC? I can just call out and cool ghosts will give me grenades that I can pick up and use?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bold Robot posted:

That's pretty cool. Anyone know what the key is on PC? I can just call out and cool ghosts will give me grenades that I can pick up and use?

It's the Like button. The 5 key if you haven't rebound the controls.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Lobok posted:

It's the Like button. The 5 key if you haven't rebound the controls.

I rebound it to scroll wheel so that I can use my mouse's unlockable scroll wheel to spam likes. Turns out there's a 1000 like cap.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I'm thirty hours in. I'm building roads and getting likes. I can't remember the last time Deadman called me.

The only characters I care about this point are "another player has used your..."

I think folks like you and I are destined to be MULES, in time.

Triarii posted:

If you have trucks unlocked, probably the best way to get loads of materials is to raid mule camps and take all their stuff. Each camp hoards a particular material, and there will be thousands of it stored in their various lockers, and it even replenishes after a while (probably when the mules respawn?). Make sure to bring your own truck because the ones they drive have crappy cargo capacity.

I don't have trucks unlocked yet, but I've been stealing MULE trucks since the first time they chase me down before I had bola gun. Just chicken-head ran around and managed to steal it from under them lol. Now with Bola gun though, MULES have become almost like walking pinatas, I kind of like when they start flashing and doing their beep scream at me, come on chumps loving bring it!!! Can't wait to raid your stupid mailbox for a new bola gun I'll use to clear out the next camp.

I should get the drat real truck though, I think the Power Skeleton lv3 lets me carry more than the truck can even handle so a lot of trips with tons of metal/ceramic take a long rear end time in this overloaded slow truck. Honestly with how much hauling I've been doing, this game needs an MGSV casette system. Yeah the cinematic tracks and stuff are dope and moody, but give me a walkman and some killer 80s hits or whatever.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I just helped out the Chiral Artist and hooo boy. Oh man. What the gently caress happened there? I got a cool hat from conan obrien?! right after I finished that quest so i'm still friends with the game but jesus christ Kojima.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Khanstant posted:

I should get the drat real truck though, I think the Power Skeleton lv3 lets me carry more than the truck can even handle so a lot of trips with tons of metal/ceramic take a long rear end time in this overloaded slow truck.

Not sure if the MULE trucks are different than the Bridges ones but you can carry significantly more in a truck than you can with a power skeleton and its handling isn't affected by weight at all from what I can tell. Most of the time you won't even have to craft one yourself, just check the garage at any outpost and there will usually be one that was left there by another player.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 24, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MULE trucks can’t carry near as much as a Bridges truck. The lights on the back also tell you how full they are.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure if the MULE trucks are different than the Bridges ones but you can carry significantly more in a truck than you can with a power skeleton and its handling isn't affected by weight at all from what I can tell. Most of the time you won't even have to craft one yourself, just check the garage at any outpost and there will usually be one that was left there by another player.

The MULE trucks are slow trash with the battery capacity of a disposable vape pen and just enough cargo room to fit like one giant Garfield Eats plush toy. They are pretty clearly meant to not be useful to the player.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And yet they proved incredibly useful in setting up the early stages of highway for me. Once I got access to real trucks I never touched one again, but they were incredibly handy until then because at least they carry more than bikes.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I found it to be very nice to just dash in with a bike, take all the MULEs out, and then use one of their trucks to get 90% of the useful stuff they had stashed to the nearest knot.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
If I can get Lou back my plan tonight is to build the highway out to Mountain Knot City. That is such an arduous trek and the mountains make ziplines tough to do. Not to mention running into BT's face first without my BB :smith:

Side note, talking in this thread makes every post look like a document in Control. I'm into it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Two porters snuck up on me as I was returning to my truck and I bola gunned them without even thinking. C'mon guys it was an accident, you didn't have to give me negative likes. :(

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Random NPCs will often give Sam multiple likes for simply opening an email they send him, or many likes for returning a lost package, but the main cast only ever gives him a single like for returning the "lost memories" thumbdrive things. Yet they're so happy about him returning those things that they video call him to say thanks. I wonder about how these people value digital likes. Why send such an insignificant number of likes if you're going to contact them in person? Does their culture have a level of appreciation that this society considers too high to appropriately express without a more direct form of contact, yet makes them feel obligated to leave at least a token amount of likes?

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 25, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can give hundreds of likes within ten seconds, maybe these folks just have way too low of a porter level to be able to send so many at once. I won't notice anyway, I'm getting thousands from highways all the time so keep your likes, email people.

I also lost 100 likes today for ramming a Porter I thought was a MULE. That's gonna take a while to offset in porter likes, but was immediately covered by building likes.

I built highways today until I couldn't find anymore to build, so then I went exploring. Sadly, you can get to a lot of stuff and find shelters and stuff but not do anything with them yet. Even found mama in a spooky zone. Also found a ton of chrilium near an incinerator, like 1200 in a small area. Was cool to scout ahead where I assume next story beats will lead me, disturbingly close to the edge of california already though, I do wish packages would spawn in these areas. I did discover the next big batch of highways, maxed out crystals on a bunch of em but decided to advance story before long-hauling materials through a BT area and all that again.

Not sure how useful these hover platforms will be, besides a kind of fun and dangerous way to go down a mountain slope? Can you attach em to your bike?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

You can't attach them to anything, but they do make an excellent snowboard.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Christ. What possessed them to make the character that Guillermo del Toro mocapped for such an unsympathetic creep in this game? That shower scene was sheer wtfery even by Kojima standards.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the gameplay, but the story leaves something sorely to be desired.

Ep 5 stuff

Mama's death was a complete failure on an emotional level, though I love Margaret Quailey in this bizarro dual role. I was too busy being royally pissed off at having the how be a complete question mark till after the fact to be sad. Leaving that "reveal" for after the moment that was supposed to have the emotional gut punch was a weird call.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadman owns. Don't talk poo poo about him. You will regret your words and deeds.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Codependent Poster posted:

Deadman owns. Don't talk poo poo about him. You will regret your words and deeds.

:yeah:

That whole Heartman sequence was the coolest thing yet. Also giving Mama something of a send off was nice. I'm of the opposite opinion on Mama's "death." The meld with Lockne was kinda weird but I thought it was a pretty nice turn after the trek from South Knot. Getting the back story on the walk there was enough to keep me on board, but having the whole thing resolved was just nice for me since I was a little stuck on the baby BT at first.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I am very very over the whole tired sci fi trope of things that look and act and feel and everything else like real live human beings but absolutely must be treated as subhuman according to the will of very specifically one dimensional characters that have no real depth beyond "make the player/viewer uncomfortable." Or the usual, "Look at us being so clever with our racism parallels!" And that's Deadman's shtick so far, plus a dose of taking turns with Heartman as the game's preferred exposition dumperer in chief.

Said shower scene's creepy body language was so jarring to me it was actively tugging my attention away from one of those exposition dumps when the game was clearly going for a big reveal moment. It's a dumb contrast, especially in a game that doesn't give you a way to replay cutscenes I'll probably wish I'd paid more attention to later. Kojima gotta Kojima.

Game is just a bit lacking in an emotional core across the board. I can enjoy the constant nerd spazzing emails and pseudo scientific gibberish with the best of them, though.

I play the game so I can build highways all by my lonesome and play Rock Climbing Simulator 2020, for the most part. And boy does it ever excel at that. It's probably a blessing for me then that by Kojima standards this game is rather cutscene light.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

....Okay, I'll freely admit seeing Deadman scared shitless for his life improved my outlook on the character considerably.

"You're very special, Sam. So special, in fact, that you're going to save my rear end before I get killed by century-old murderghost soldiers!"

Aside: holy poo poo, this game's take on a mountain climb through full blown whiteout conditions was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've probably had in the last 5 years. I feel sorry for you if you didn't experience this with headphones on and the volume cranked way, way up. Swear it was 85 degrees in my room doing that with no AC right now and I could still feel the chill in my bones.

(oh god that accidental rhyme)

edit 2: WHO THE gently caress PUT SAVING PRIVATE RYAN IN MY MAILMAN SIM AAAAAAAAAAA

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 25, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well, I completed the highway all the way down to South Knot, and now I feel a great emptiness. I guess I could set up some zipline arteries to get to shitholes like the weather station, there's this one delivery request for like 1500kg to build a tower there or something.

Is it normal for the Delivery Time arm of my star to be way behind the others? I've been taking timed requests as often as possible, but they just don't pop up very much, at least as of Ch5.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Krazyface posted:

Well, I completed the highway all the way down to South Knot, and now I feel a great emptiness. I guess I could set up some zipline arteries to get to shitholes like the weather station, there's this one delivery request for like 1500kg to build a tower there or something.

Is it normal for the Delivery Time arm of my star to be way behind the others? I've been taking timed requests as often as possible, but they just don't pop up very much, at least as of Ch5.

Yeah, most of the other categories give you a little bit on every delivery (volume, etc) but Delivery Time points are only awarded for timed deliveries specifically, which are much rarer than the other types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Would you guys recommend this game if I'm an avid Snowrunnner player? I'm definitely okay with the slower paced, kind of tedious planning of the Snowrunner/Mudrunner games, so this might be right up my alley.