Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, murdering children is a pretty good way to get most anyone to go off, let alone Duane.

Agreed, and maybe I am reading it wrong, but I thought that the "heart" or "pearl" of a waterwoman let them regrow their bodies, so Lori keeping the body around hoping for it to be reborn is just her misunderstanding of how waterwomen work?

As far as I can tell she is just keeping a dead husk in a fish tank and not really "getting it". I think there is something more sinister behind that anti-pymary wall in the vault, and the Crescian military dissidents have more to do with it then the shrine and Lori.

I am guessing Duane is just making a snap judgement and taking quick action. He may be right, but I doubt it, no character in the story seems to have the full picture, and us readers are likely just as or more in the dark. It's how Ashley writes, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

Oh there's a full on magical storm going on outside that has no sign of stopping and the country that I hate is sending an army this way? Lets just go ahead and assault the person in charge of the shrine that is giving me and my group sanctuary. *sarcasm* Good call Duane! He's off his rocker more then usual.

The magical storm isn't stopping because of the water women kidnapping the person he's assaulting is involved in. "Solve" that and the magical storm is no longer keeping them in the shrine.

Twenty Four posted:

Agreed, and maybe I am reading it wrong, but I thought that the "heart" or "pearl" of a waterwoman let them regrow their bodies, so Lori keeping the body around hoping for it to be reborn is just her misunderstanding of how waterwomen work?

As far as I can tell she is just keeping a dead husk in a fish tank and not really "getting it". I think there is something more sinister behind that anti-pymary wall in the vault, and the Crescian military dissidents have more to do with it then the shrine and Lori.

She's keeping the dead husk in the hope that when the crescian military is "done with the pearl/heart" she can put it back in the body and everything will be good again. There's 0 chance she'd ever be getting it back if it's even left intact by whatever mad science they're doing, but it's like her one way to hope that she's not a total monster.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So uh, jolly good time are we having, no?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Been a while since people last linked to the comic.

We've had a Coronavirus awareness page.
A great plan is hatched, it's definitely not going to end in a clusterfuck.
Duane being sneaky and subtle.
Lori's not too bad, just delusional.
Then Duane starts going all fanatical murder zombie, but Sette saves the day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
duane is not winning any father of the year awards right now

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Unsounded Abridged proves its accuracy further with every page, it's really something.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Agaragon posted:

Unsounded Abridged

I am intrigued, but also deeply wary.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LunarCress posted:

I am intrigued, but also deeply wary.

It's a big ol' gif that was entered in the fanart contest, illustrating each chapter so far with a single scene. This was just before the current chapter, and it ended with "up next: Duane is an rear end in a top hat" as proposed title for, well, the current chapter.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_71.html

And now everything's gonna work out just fine, guaranteed!

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 11, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Judging by the last few panels the comic's about to switch from its favourite mode (Duane fucks everything up) to its other favourite mode
(Sette fucks everything up).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this whole situation seems pretty well hosed without either of them intervening, honestly

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The car was already heading towards the cliff, Duane's just put pedal to the metal

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ash posted:

I admit I have something of an agenda with Vienne (and with some other characters, particularly Queen Sonorie). Everything you said is true, about her being an example of the battle many women have to wage between what they want to do and what society imposes on them. But with Vienne I also try to show the strength of the feminine, and how a lot of our problems as humans could be solved if we would stop trying to dominate and destroy everything around us. Vienne created Uaid not to destroy, but to protect. He’s not a weapon, he’s a shield.

Her influence doesn’t end there. Matty is HER son, not really Mathis’. Matty carries forward that spirit of the feminine - the peacemaker, the protector - and though he loves his dad, their natures are fundamentally at odds. Mathis only knows how to hate and destroy. And this is not something intrinsic to Mathis - he wasn’t born this way - Alderode made him this way and there’s no going back. He senses his own sickness and wants to kill himself just to rid the world of it… but of course not while Matty is around.

I see the feminine so readily cast off in fiction in favour of “strong female characters” who are defined solely as chicks who can wield a gun and throw a punch just as well as the dudes. I do not find these characters satisfying. I think feminine strength - emotional strength, forbearance, diplomacy, empathy, nurturing, communication - aren’t given due respect. But maybe if you packaged all them up into a giant green ogre mecha they would be?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

I see the feminine so readily cast off in fiction in favour of “strong female characters” who are defined solely as chicks who can wield a gun and throw a punch just as well as the dudes. I do not find these characters satisfying. I think feminine strength - emotional strength, forbearance, diplomacy, empathy, nurturing, communication - aren’t given due respect. But maybe if you packaged all them up into a giant green ogre mecha they would be?
sad but true tbh

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A good sentiment broadly speaking but could do without the gender essentializing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I took that more as her criticizing the essentialism that already exists in fiction, and its tendency to run screaming from anything traditionally coded as feminine.

That too many stories don't know how to make a woman—or a man for that matter—display strength without grabbing them in toxic masculinity.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think it's pretty clear that she is using "masculine" and "feminine" to describe already popularly gendered traits, rather than saying that they are inherently gendered. Matty is unequivocally male but also "feminine."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Straight White Shark posted:

I think it's pretty clear that she is using "masculine" and "feminine" to describe already popularly gendered traits, rather than saying that they are inherently gendered. Matty is unequivocally male but also "feminine."

That's how I read it. That you can have strong, well rounded characters with what have been gendered with "feminine" qualities, and that it's really not cool if we stop at "anyone can be a strong character so long as they display traits that are traditionally considered masculine."

Also, can never discuss this topic without thinking of Kate Beaton:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
That was such a good comic. I really miss Hark, a Vagrant.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Captain Oblivious posted:

A good sentiment broadly speaking but could do without the gender essentializing.

"I agree with the sentiments but I'd really prefer you didn't use the tools at your disposal to express them."

Grow up tone cop or gently caress off back to twitter.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I feel for Dwayne too. Poor dudes the only one whose seen the mask of humanity come right off Cresce when it stabbed his daughter and killed him. Tends to radicalize a zombie. Its impossible to tell Sette that her friends about to get her head cut off and put on a shelf thanks to that fat slug for religious purposes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

I feel for Dwayne too. Poor dudes the only one whose seen the mask of humanity come right off Cresce when it stabbed his daughter and killed him. Tends to radicalize a zombie. Its impossible to tell Sette that her friends about to get her head cut off and put on a shelf thanks to that fat slug for religious purposes.

amusingly he's not wrong about Cresce, for the most part... but that wasn't Cresce :ssh:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

amusingly he's not wrong about Cresce, for the most part... but that wasn't Cresce :ssh:

I mean WE know that... especially me, who has been closely following all the politics and twists and whatnot super close... *cough*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I mean WE know that... especially me, who has been closely following all the politics and twists and whatnot super close... *cough*

duane also knows that as of his last trip through dreamland, his latest bout of anti-cresce mania is partly because he's trying really, really hard to keep denying it to himself

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Motherfucker posted:

"I agree with the sentiments but I'd really prefer you didn't use the tools at your disposal to express them."

Grow up tone cop or gently caress off back to twitter.

Nah this isn’t about tone this is about sentiments too.

She’s not saying “characteristics associated with the feminine” she’s saying “feminine”. It’s entirely possible she MEANS the former but it’s not really present in the text.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah this isn’t about tone this is about sentiments too.

She’s not saying “characteristics associated with the feminine” she’s saying “feminine”. It’s entirely possible she MEANS the former but it’s not really present in the text.

Feminine already means "characteristics associated with the female." Feminine is not specifically a gender.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the latest update (four pages after the last one linked in the thread; click here if you haven't read anything since then), we have: Dancing! Also, Quigley is incredibly drunk. These things may be related.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Quigs thats a weird thing to say!!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From Ashley's Tumblr, a week and a half ago:

quote:

Anonymous asked:
How utterly sloshed is Quigley right now?

quote:

Sloshed enough to finally be fun.

This is apparently what that meant.

I wonder how Quigs will react when reminded of this behavior when he's not so drunk.

Edit:

quote:

Anonymous asked:
It's a shame Duane's in such a dark place right now; under normal circumstances his reaction to what Quigs is getting up to now would be amazing. As would Quigley's reaction upon being reminded of it when he's not so drunk.

quote:

In another environment, Duane would be down there dancing with the kids and laughing - encouragingly! delightedly! - at Quigley playing along. He’d bow to each of his little partners in turn, show them how such dancing is done in Alderode, respectfully watch their own moves, and compliment Jivi on his pipe playing.

But not today~

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Use a glass

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Quigs knows whats up. Moderation is for people who won't die in thirty years.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

This is almost responsible fatherly behaviour from Quigs. Or as close as we're going to get.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Father of the Year tbh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Quigs knows whats up. Moderation is for people who won't die in thirty years.

Seriously, if I knew I was doomed to >30 years I'd be drunk or high drat near all the time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Skippy McPants posted:

Seriously, if I knew I was doomed to >30 years I'd be drunk or high drat near all the time.

I guess that's one way to admit that you have a substance dependancy problem.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah you should be a sober ascetic monk and never gently caress or do rock and rolls and die with a dry, flacid penis. Its the only way to impress this cool guy on the internet.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Livers gonna break down from Being A Plat sooner than it breaks down from All The Alcoholism, yeah.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

If I was stuck with a few decades while some of my contemporaries were settling into their second century? Hell yeah, I'd have a substance problem. A whole bunch of 'um. It's a little shocking that most of the Plats we've seen are studious and temperate. I'd expect a lot more ennui or outrage, though I guess their county's indoctrination probably has a lot to do with that.

Me? I'd be drunk as a sunk and getting in bullshit mage-duels all over the place like an anime viking-wizard. If the price for having innate access to the universe's cheat-codes is not getting enough time to enjoy it, then I would want to cram as much hedonism as I could into that tiny window.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
You put the > the wrong way :v:
You said doomed to more than 30 years, not less than.
Remember the little alligator always eats the bigger number!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Skippy McPants posted:

If I was stuck with a few decades while some of my contemporaries were settling into their second century? Hell yeah, I'd have a substance problem. A whole bunch of 'um. It's a little shocking that most of the Plats we've seen are studious and temperate. I'd expect a lot more ennui or outrage, though I guess their county's indoctrination probably has a lot to do with that.

Me? I'd be drunk as a sunk and getting in bullshit mage-duels all over the place like an anime viking-wizard. If the price for having innate access to the universe's cheat-codes is not getting enough time to enjoy it, then I would want to cram as much hedonism as I could into that tiny window.
I believe it's been mentioned by Ashley that lots of plats are pampered hedonists with a side of sex work and I suppose it's not really a surprise, all things considered. Even less so if a bunch of them also have war trauma from their stints as child soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

PetraCore posted:

I believe it's been mentioned by Ashley that lots of plats are pampered hedonists with a side of sex work and I suppose it's not really a surprise, all things considered. Even less so if a bunch of them also have war trauma from their stints as child soldiers.

I’m pretty sure the sex workers and child soldiers are different groups. The soldiers are wrights and for all it’s pretensions of democracy Aldarode is neither going to give a valuable military/industrial/scientific asset the chance to opt out or likely to have male sex workers in its patriarchal society.