Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Lovely catch that to finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

England turning a draw into a victory.

Sort of anti-Englanding.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Unrelated to anything:

But I had occasion to look up this old board game from my youth, and look who is on the box

Old Mahatma Cote himself, the fat racist Greg Ritchie. Surely they could have found someone better. Even from that era of Aussies.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Lots of people are saying that Woakes bowled well yesterday, but whenever I was watching, he was either bowling pies or back-of-a-length balls 2 feet outside off stump that the batsman could leave well alone.
Also, Bess was definitely working the pie shop yesterday

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Lots of people are saying that Woakes bowled well yesterday, but whenever I was watching, he was either bowling pies or back-of-a-length balls 2 feet outside off stump that the batsman could leave well alone.
Also, Bess was definitely working the pie shop yesterday

When the ball was new and hard Woakes was unplayable, once it went soft all the fast bowlers suffered.

Bess did well but didn't have as much rough to work with but the over to Holder was top class but demonstrated, in the space of 2 balls, the problems he had with the pitch. He is also 22 so he is still learning how to deal with unfriendly decks like this.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, summer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What a garbage country, I hope it sinks into the bog

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

gay picnic defence posted:

What a garbage country, I hope it sinks into the bog

Don't worry, we're actively working on that

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Quality start

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What a throw

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Don't know if this thread bothers with the county game but the mighty Yorkshire are 101/0 at lunch in a warm-up friendly against Lancs, which is always a lovely sight. In the other match Haseeb 'future of English cricket' Hameed is 41 not out which is great to see after struggling at Lancs and getting released. County cricket is back everyone :getin:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

At least county cricket doesn’t have to worry about social distancing.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's tailor made for covid-friendly viewing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Intriguing first two sessions

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I thought Buttler's 40 in the first innings last Test guaranteed his place in the side until next year, I imagine his name is on the team sheet in pen now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably will get an end named after him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Heads up everyone, it's the news you've been waiting for! The IPL going ahead! In September! Entirely in the UAE!

I'm sure this is an excellent plan that has been fully thought through

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow. Did the rest of cricket know about that?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What the gently caress Nas, don't mention good Wicketkeeper/Batsmen, Test Cricket, and YJB in the same sentence ever again.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Now that's a good England collapse.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Astroclassicist posted:

Now that's a good England collapse.

Man, I have a cracking hangover, forgot about the cricket for 45 minutes and they've gone and collapsed. of course

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

tarbrush posted:

Man, I have a cracking hangover, forgot about the cricket for 45 minutes and they've gone and collapsed. of course

Yeah, went to have a quick phone call after Pope went, came back to hear Archer nicking it to second slip.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So is 300 about par here? England were put in, and apart from the evening session yesterday when the Windies gave up it's looked tricky to bat on

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

I'd guess so. Conditions do seem tricky, and hopefully Anderson is fired up like Broad in the last match to prove his place with some wickets.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Astroclassicist posted:

Hopefully Anderson is fired up like Broad in the last match to prove his place with some wickets.

I doubt it – or no more than normal. On Tailenders this week he pretty much came out and said that it was a joint decision between him and the selectors not to play the 2nd test because he's old as poo poo and they need to manage his workload if he's to make it to the next Ashes.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Zip! posted:

I doubt it – or no more than normal. On Tailenders this week he pretty much came out and said that it was a joint decision between him and the selectors not to play the 2nd test because he's old as poo poo and they need to manage his workload if he's to make it to the next Ashes.

Yeah. Honestly the dream is to see Jimmy somehow play not only the next Ashes, but the next Ashes in England.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I see Broad has remembered how to bat.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

tarbrush posted:

I see Broad has remembered how to bat.

Highest score for 7 years. You love to see it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Broad is on for the fastest test century by an Englishman

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

Broad is on for the fastest test century by an Englishman

Noice

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
classic spoonboy

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The power move here would have been to declare, but I can understand letting the Burnley Lara have a hit and giggle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stuart and Jimmy are making some statements.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Nice score.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dunno why they’re so insistent on having Anderson play until the next England ashes. Broad and Archer will probably be enough to skittle the Aussies (except for Smith obv)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

We'll see if they prove me wrong this innings but why can't the West Indies batsmen put up big scores? I've watched alot of this series and they seem pretty assured at the crease and then go out for 30/50, it's like watching arsenal

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Recently, Broad keeps looking less fit than Jimmy. His action doesn't seem to hurt him, but I think they bowl him more when he's tired.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
was it just me or did Brooks just nick his first ball? haven't seen a replay yet but I certainly thought there was a noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It has been annoying me for sometime, but now I feel I must put my fury into words. Somebody please tell Ian Ward that the past tense of see is seen and not sin.