Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Devonaut posted:

after slightly less than ten thousand years, I managed to get a job offer today for ~44k over my previous salary

just point me to the guillotine

you're fine until you start exploiting people. selling labor is selling labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Devonaut posted:

after slightly less than ten thousand years, I managed to get a job offer today for ~44k over my previous salary

make those figgies

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Devonaut posted:

guilt is useless, get paid

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ultravoices posted:

guilt is useless, get paid

My guilt is looking at the salary of the people who joined my team and seeing these vast difference in salary where the people being paid less are far more capable than those being paid more, and having very limited discretionary budget to address it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody has ever been paid based on ability, they get paid on negotiating position and negotiating ability

to those in power, negotiating ability and ability are always the same, cuz thats the main skill of holding on to power. so its always a meritocracy! yay!

computers interact with this terribly because every computer is a suicide bombing terrorist, good luck negotiating with it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 25, 2020

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hughlander posted:

My guilt is looking at the salary of the people who joined my team and seeing these vast difference in salary where the people being paid less are far more capable than those being paid more, and having very limited discretionary budget to address it.

tell the more capable people to find new jobs

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
still haven't had the amazon interview yet but the recruiter just sent me a list of questions to answer and included "what is your expected compensation?" Is it a bad idea to respond with something along the lines of: "it's too early for me to have a good idea of a specific number, but most likely somewhere in the range of what glassdoor/levels.fyi says for SDEs in my location"? Am I better off just dodging the question completely until after the interview?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dodge that question like a bullfighter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that question is a trap for idiots.

you expect competitive compensation for the role. that’s it. you can discuss the rest when they decide they want to hire you and you have much more leverage.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
if there is a risk that the company actually cannot afford you, it is sometimes worth answering that question

amazon does not have that risk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

raminasi posted:

if there is a risk that the company actually cannot afford you, it is sometimes worth answering that question

Yes and yes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

one of the benefits of figgieland prime is that they legally have to give a range in the posting, so never a need in figgieland prime

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

elcannon posted:

still haven't had the amazon interview yet but the recruiter just sent me a list of questions to answer and included "what is your expected compensation?" Is it a bad idea to respond with something along the lines of: "it's too early for me to have a good idea of a specific number, but most likely somewhere in the range of what glassdoor/levels.fyi says for SDEs in my location"? Am I better off just dodging the question completely until after the interview?

if you give them a "range" your absolute best case will be the bottom of that range

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are in a bona fide secondary figgieland like seattle or nyc then peep amazons own ranges for their figgieland prime positions, to better your own negotiating position

if you actually mention those ranges we will yell at you tho

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you give them a "range" your absolute best case will be the bottom of that range

Yeah I guess this was what was making me uneasy the most. Thanks all for the solid answer. I do kind of feel like an rear end for presumably making the recruiter's job more difficult, but thinking about it this is the first time I've really dealt with interviewing for a company with over 1000 employees so maybe he's used to it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

elcannon posted:

Yeah I guess this was what was making me uneasy the most. Thanks all for the solid answer. I do kind of feel like an rear end for presumably making the recruiter's job more difficult, but thinking about it this is the first time I've really dealt with interviewing for a company with over 1000 employees so maybe he's used to it.

Their job- day in and day out- is to get you to feel that 'uneasy- i feel like an rear end' feeling. Don't feel bad for not letting it work on you

edit: Some of them will get REALLY mad when you don't let it work on you though. This is a colossal :redflag: and you're better off not working there

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

elcannon posted:

i think i've told this story in this thread before but when i got an offer for my current job i countered at 4% higher (to make the number rounder, primarily to practice countering) and the recruiter hemmed and hawwed about how he'd never heard of an increase that substantial before but he would try. for 4%. it's just a line, it's a totally mundane part of their job that they do all the time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
biggest i asked for and got was 40 grand more

if youre practicing you might as well practice big and let them say no

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hiring is difficult. most interviews end up in a no hire recommendation. so once they’ve decided to hire, the recruiter’s interest is sealing the deal. the power relationship has flipped.

your job is to make the recruiter work for you. give them the tools to go back and ask for more money on your behalf. tell them that the offer is not enough, and ask them to do better. if they ask you for numbers, you can give them something high that you can walk back because “you like their company”. tell them you have competing offers. tell them you’re walking away from a lot of unvested shares. tell them you like them but their offer is not competitive with what you’re seeing. tell them the cost of living in their area is a big increase from where you are or the commute is terrible etc

this allows them to go back to their boss and say that the candidate needs more to accept this offer, to have the hiring manager get their director to intervene on your behalf.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"What is your expected compensation?" is the "Do you know why I pulled you over?" of interviewing.

It's either an idiot trap or if they get really huffy and assholish about it then it means their offer is guaranteed to be uncompetitive dogshit and they know it.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
just lost the junior in my title but job is a gently caress so im applying after one year.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have bad news for you about literally every other job

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

just finished my take home. this one was literally 'here's what you're gonna be expected to do for your job, we spun up a server for you, here's the api documentation, go'

seeing as it's for a senior position where i'll be expected to hit the ground running and mentor juniors it was a pretty reasonable request. dare i say even well made? it was hard enough that a junior definitely wouldn't have been able to accomplish it but anyone who's been around and is used to diving into new platforms / reading weird documentation wouldn't struggle with it. i guess now i just have to demo it

still not really excited about the job itself but it's a company that's been growing, offers real stock, and most importantly will be paying me what i want my current job to pay me. of course it's really hard to get excited about healthcare document integration software so w/e

update: they liked my demo and want to keep moving forwards :yotj:

i decided to look at their interview reviews on glassdoor and it's just a wall of negative experiences of people bitching about the demo and how long it took them only for them to be rejected. most people are saying it took them 30-40 hours to complete, if they were even able to complete it. it took me about 4 hours. so yeah i guess this is a pretty good filter for candidates

after the demo one of the interviewers asked me how long it took me to build. i gave him a rough estimate and said we could check the access logs to the server to see how accurate i was. he said no need because they were watching me the whole time ;)

very clever. i think if i'm ever responsible for building a hiring pipeline this will definitely be something that's included if it's possible. the candidate doesn't get performance anxiety and can essentially work under their ideal conditions. blasting death metal at 1 am? go for it

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
been hunting for a new job this year and after reading this and the BFC threads i know giving desired salary numbers is a great way to get criminally underpaid (like I have been for most of my career).

had a phone interview yesterday where they asked if I had a salary range in mind. "I do, but I want to hear what you're offering." their range was about 35% higher than what I had in my head

never give them a number

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm applying for a job at a place.

:confuoot:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FreshFeesh posted:

never give them a number
:emptyquote:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i think if i'm ever responsible for building a hiring pipeline this will definitely be something that's included if it's possible. the candidate doesn't get performance anxiety and can essentially work under their ideal conditions. blasting death metal at 1 am? go for it

keep in mind that you're gonna exclude a lot of people who don't want to spend 4+ hours doing work after work. you're gonna do a great job of hiring new grads, people who are unemployed, and people who hate their current jobs, but asking a senior person who doesnt hate their job to jump through hoops like that is gonna be a big "lol nah" a lot of the time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sure, but on the other hand a couple of 45 minute algorithms rounds are in practice going to be preceded by 4-6 hours of private study because hey turns out I don't actually reverse linked lists or devise dynamic programming algorithms on the spot all day long at my job, so it's not a skill set I actively maintain when I'm not interviewing.

On the other hand if you ask me to integrate some APIs written by idiots then actually I'm pretty good at that because that's what I do all day. Sometimes I even get to be the API-designing idiot. So it's probably a less annoying use of a few hours of my time on balance. That being said yeah there are definitely some candidates who will not consider it to be a worthwhile investment of their time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at 4 hours of homework. I’ll tolerate an hour if I’m seriously looking for work, if I’m not then nope. online coding tests are much better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I'm applying for a job at a place.

:confuoot:
good luck my friend, i hope your interviewing is as good as your posting is terrible

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jesus WEP posted:

good luck my friend, i hope your interviewing is as good as your posting is terrible

No one could be that good at interviewing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No matter what you have in your interview process, a substantial fraction of your candidates are going to hate it. That's just life.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ultrafilter posted:

No matter what you have in your interview process, a substantial fraction of your candidates are going to hate it. That's just life.

including if you don't have very much of anything at all, as evidenced previously itt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1287067583087169537

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Just want to check in once again. How are you doing? It’s been a crazy year and hope your healthy and safe!

quote:

I hope you and your loved ones are well!

quote:

I hope you’re keeping well at this time

so many recruiters care about my health.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

recruiter posted:

Came across your profile online and was impressed by what I was able to learn. You seem to know your way around Ruby, yeah?

I have not so much as opened a ruby source file in my entire life lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Makeout Patrol posted:

I have not so much as opened a ruby source file in my entire life lol

they sent that email to tons of people

it's the nigerian prince scam of recruiting

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ultrafilter posted:

True to interviewing, dating, art, and pretty much any creative pursuit. You can be the sweetest peach on Earth, but some people just fuckin' hate peaches

I had a cold call this week to try to put me in a lateral position in Columbus Ohio. I currently work in a second-tier metro area, which means cost of living takes a hit but so do things like "culture" and such. I didn't feel like playing the game (very little chance of me moving to Columbus under any circumstance) so I threw out my salary +50% when they asked what would be my salary range. They said "that's a little high" so I asked point blank what they could get to. It was my salary +30%. I told them that's a good starting point. Long story short I'm getting a technical interview anyway because literally nobody with a steady job and good sense is looking to make an interstate move right now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you are in a non-stupid state, moving to a stupid state right now is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

if you are in a non-stupid state, moving to a stupid state right now is a bad idea.

I mean, moving to Ohio is rarely a "net-positive transaction" (as the kids say these days)?