Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

dog nougat posted:

There's no way that truck hitting that cyclist wasn't intentional. In the US drivers actively hate and target cyclists for some reason. There's a bizarre view that bicycles are just toys and not a valid form of transportation. That you're basically subhuman (read: poor) if that is your mode of transportation and that you are clogging up roadways by using them correctly. People will try to run you off the road and tell you (scream petulantly) to ride on the sidewalk despite it being illegal in most places. There's a bizarre notion that cars take precedence over bicycles on the road and that they should always be going faster than a bike. People have passed me and then immediately cut right in front of me. Tried to run into parked cars/actively tried to hit me because they're marginally inconvenienced for <5 seconds. Drivers in the US are largely actively malicious and hostile towards cyclists. It's really bizarre. There's a strange disconnect that happens when driving a car that you stop seeing other cars and vehicles as operated by people and more just as objects that are in your way.

This act sure looks intentional (but who really knows), but your post is full of assumptions about driver intentions that covers an entire country. I see cyclists on the road almost every time I drive (big city, medium city, etc.) and I've never seen any behavior like this. Wherever you live, I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm a cyclist and this turd was being stupid by taking an unnecessary risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Everybody who tries to kill me in traffic like that is doing it on their phone. And the drivers here aren't even American.

No way that was intentional.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dog nougat posted:

Maybe. There was a lot of handwaving and victim blaming upthread. I could've misread it though. Still waking up and need more coffee in my life.

Pointing out that cyclists need to follow traffic laws and that he was in violation of the law isn't victim blaming. It's not his fault he got hit, but he also wouldn't have been hit if he didn't put himself into that situation. You shouldn't absolve him of any responsibility just because you don't like cars.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e: ohh nevermind.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 25, 2020

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It was most likely intentional. If you don't ride bikes in the US you can probably assume you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. We do something like 40,000 traffic deaths per year. American exceptionalism baby

edit: to expand, our culture, road infrastructure, and justice system create the perfect storm of just absolutely loving over everyone not in a car.

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 25, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cojawfee posted:

Pointing out that cyclists need to follow traffic laws and that he was in violation of the law isn't victim blaming. It's not his fault he got hit, but he also wouldn't have been hit if he didn't put himself into that situation. You shouldn't absolve him of any responsibility just because you don't like cars.

Shouldn't have been wearing those clothes, right?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

being real nice to the homicidal maniac by saying it was target fixation

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Clearly no one deserves to get hit by a truck lol, I hope that they caught that driver.

Also bicyclists who don't follow traffic laws are assholes because I sure don't want to hit anyone when driving.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lou Takki posted:

Clearly no one deserves to get hit by a truck lol, I hope that they caught that driver.

Also bicyclists who don't follow traffic laws are assholes because I sure don't want to hit anyone when driving.

Always important to indict murdering psychopaths and jerk cyclists in the same sentence

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
drat i wonder how long until the cyclist can go back to work in the standing-in-the-intersection factory :(

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
its lijke clockwork lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Muscle Wizard posted:

its lijke clockwork lol

Clockwork would be at least somewhat OSHA related

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it used to be worse but as more and more conservative people leave SA, the car-culture knee jerk reaction thing becomes less severe. You should have seen GBS in the early 2000's when riding bikes came up

the real OSHA is the infrastructure depicted in the video. 8 Lane state highways with traffic going 50mph in both directions, and somehow pedestrians and people who ride bikes are supposed to get through this poo poo uninjured

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
People who attack cyclists should be attacked. Now here's some loving content you ghouls.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Muscle Wizard posted:

its lijke clockwork lol

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i was following all the rules, stopped at a stop sign, and a woman in an SUV coming the opposite direction told me to get the gently caress out of the road. Some people just get mad at bikes, like it's some sort of culture war thing and an afront to them. So I don't doubt when I see someone go into the median to hit a bike as a sociopath and also probably deeply mentally ill because I've personally had a lot of wierd hate thrown at me

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lou Takki posted:

I haven't seen anything on a trial, but the driver was identified and turned himself in.
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...las-park-police

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It fukkn sucks. I've seen some horrendous behavior by car drivers when riding a motorbike. I'd appreciate a thread for it so we could keep this one more OSHA related.

TY.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 25, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hqxxDz8.gifv
:suspense:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

#Houston This is just a few miles up the freeway from the crash under the interchange posted a few miles back.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a good channel with a whole bunch of short videos about the street design and urban planning that makes cycling in the Netherlands so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMJaMy-0ChA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
OSHA search function: Searchable ways to exit this life.
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.html

Example of how you don't want to go.

At 12:30 a.m. on February 9, 2019, an employee was reaching into a steel pickling tank containing 160 degree Fahrenheit sulfuric acid in order to retrieve a sample of the solution with a hand held plastic syringe.The employee stepped onto the ledge of Pickle Tank #5, used his right hand to reach into the tank to pull the sample while simultaneously holding on to an adjacent hand railing for stability and balance with his left hand. The employee fell into the tank and was submerged. The employee remained in the tank for approximately 1 minute before being recued. He suffered from chemical and thermal burns that resulted in his death.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 25, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/oZw98Uw.gifv
:suspense:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

OSHA search function: Searchable ways to exit this life.
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.html

Example of how you don't want to go.

At 12:30 a.m. on February 9, 2019, an employee was reaching into a steel pickling tank containing 160 degree Fahrenheit sulfuric acid in order to retrieve a sample of the solution with a hand held plastic syringe.The employee stepped onto the ledge of Pickle Tank #5, used his right hand to reach into the tank to pull the sample while simultaneously holding on to an adjacent hand railing for stability and balance with his left hand. The employee fell into the tank and was submerged. The employee remained in the tank for approximately 1 minute before being recued. He suffered from chemical and thermal burns that resulted in his death.

Have you just exposed the tool Cartoon Man uses to completely own us all in sheer amount of OSHA content posted?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

with all that action I halfway expected the cloverfield monster to come out after all that dust

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
I immediately regretted posting anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I can see the huge truck's about to hit the sign above me but I'm just gonna keep driving straight ahead!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

grillster posted:

Have you just exposed the tool Cartoon Man uses to completely own us all in sheer amount of OSHA content posted?

I don't know, but there's a righteous amount of açcident reports there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

First time I've ever seen the truck win

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

So...uhm...is it normal to drive around with a cracked windscreen like that? That would make me nervous even without the truck doing what it does.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Hollow Talk posted:

So...uhm...is it normal to drive around with a cracked windscreen like that? That would make me nervous even without the truck doing what it does.

Aren't a few cracks fairly normal? It's really only a problem when chunks fall out and air gets through, or when the police are looking for an issue.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Denis Leary summed up the American jihad against bicyclists pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5G8gqFvpz0&t=35s

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollow Talk posted:

I see you have never been truly poor.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

or driven a fleet vehicle for work.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
They have never had the joy of a welfare Christmas

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let's move on from drowning to an all new kind of nightmare.

Turns out this was intentional, hence some of the odd responses and laughter.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-clings-onto-hot-air-170000782.html

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hemale in pain posted:

i forgot people do the insane gimmick posting when there's a bicycle involved

About a year or so ago some government agency in Finland was running a campaign promoting the use of bicycle helmets, and I retweeted an ad with a note saying "I know at least three people who wouldn't be alive if they hadn't worn helmets, so wear them even if they look dumb" or something similar.

I was then dogpiled by some "bicycling advocate" and his followers, because BICYCLE HELMETS HURT MORE THAN THEY HELP. Oh, word? How? Well turns out some people don't want to wear helmets and if they are forced to, they will instead just not ride a bike. So the spokesman for some pro-biking association advocates against bike helmets because mandating their use might limit the number of cyclists, despite being pretty loving essential protective gear.

I ride my bike 50-60+ km a week, and I don't want to associate with people who make "cyclist" their identity, because many of them are insane, assholes, or insane assholes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
... are they at least organ donors? Because if so, win-win.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hollow Talk posted:

It's more common in some parts of the country for various reasons, I think. Where I was in Arizona had crazy day/night temperature differentials, and in the winter temperatures would drop well below freezing overnight, then would skyrocket during the day. I saw lots of cracked windshields which I assumed were due to the glass getting down to like 10 fahrenheit overnight and then getting direct sunlight at dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When a mommy plane and a daddy plane love each other very much...